Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Veteran

Battlefield 4's Graphics Lacking on PS4

With the arrival of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, EA and DICE have promised to bring the Battlefield PC experience to consoles, including massive scale maps, 64 player matches, and 60 frames-per-second gameplay. But up until now, all of the demos we've seen of Battlefield 4 have been running on supercharged PCs, producing jaw-dropping, unsurprisingly gorgeous results. This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

In spite of EA and DICE's emphasis on narrowing the gap between consoles and PC, this week's PS4 demo did not include a full 64-player match or the franchise's beloved vehicular combat. Instead, attendees were treated to a local 16-player match of Domination mode, which limited the play area to a small segment of the game's freshly minted Paracel Storm map. While certainly a demonstration of how the game can be scaled down to satisfy players' need for object-based infantry combat, it's hardly living up to the promise of the "true" Battlefield experience's arrival on consoles.

But what's more concerning is how the game looks.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me.

As uninspiring as my demo was visually, it's also important to remember that we are still months away from Battlefield 4's release. It's clearly a work in progress. And most importantly, the game itself is still very much a blast to play. But if today's demonstration is any indication, DICE's commitment to supporting 64-player games and maintaining a solid 60 FPS on next-gen consoles could very well come at the cost of visual fidelity, and as a franchise renowned for its state-of-the-art graphics, it's an unexpected compromise.
    Source

My worst fear is becoming true. If the retail game is anything like they're saying at IGN then the PS4 is not as powerful as we all think, sure they've been running on BF4 on super high end pcs but still next gen is supposed to be very close to what PCs can do right now, I just hope it's because it's an alpha build or something if the game does look too bad on PS4 I might just cancel my preorder and buy a high end gaming PC instead, no way I can do $#@!ty graphics BF4 no more after what I've seen.

Edit: DICE dev Johan Andersson debunks PS4 running at 720p.
    Last edited by daLa; 08-23-2013 at 17:44.

Forum Elder
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrags...9404227584?p=v

Looks like they are still optimizimg the game.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member
    1. BF4 looks boring. KZ looks a lot better.
    2. This is a multi gen and multi plat game. They are not going to invest too heavily and optimize for the ps4.
    3. This is a 1st year game. ps3 games did not look that great initially and got better over time.
    4. Why do people jump to conclusions so fast about games? PS4 is very powerful, it's up to the devs to make the games look the best they can. If you don't like it then don't buy the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrags...9404227584?p=v

Looks like they are still optimizimg the game.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    True, that's why I'm hoping it's just an early build because I truly don't mind 720p over 1080p as long as it looks as good as what they've shown us so far.

Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    2. This is a multi gen and multi plat game. They are not going to invest too heavily and optimize for the ps4.
    3. This is a 1st year game. ps3 games did not look that great initially and got better over time.
    4. Why do people jump to conclusions so fast about games? PS4 is very powerful, it's up to the devs to make the games look the best they can. If you don't like it then don't buy the game.
    It's a matter of taste and like, I do like how KZ looks but imo it's the other way around multiplayer for KZ looks boring compared to BF4. True their the first games but still it sucks that the game industry is like the food industry when they show you beautiful stuff and when you finally get it doesn't even look close as good and that's one of the things I hate about them showing games on high end pcs. It might be up to devs but if they can make it look good on PC they should make it look as great and equally good as possible on consoles too since they're supposed to be kind of close, and yeah I know I can buy it or not no need for you to tell me, this is a forum and I can express my concerns about the game if I want to regardless of what you may think.

Exactly. If you want amazing graphics, then you need to get a video card that costs more than two PS4's. I'll get BF4 for PS because it's fun to play with my friends and not all of them can afford having a high end PC. I think the PS4 version is more than enough to have a good time.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by KratosFOL View Post
    Exactly. If you want amazing graphics, then you need to get a video card that costs more than two PS4's. I'll get BF4 for PS because it's fun to play with my friends and not all of them can afford having a high end PC. I think the PS4 version is more than enough to have a good time.
    BS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130935

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hey look at that it doesnt even cost the price of One PS4.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I guess you are right about it and had pointed out good points. But I liked BF3 a lot and even until now it has some online issues but I still like it. So, even with BF4 I would say it would be close to BF3.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

PSN ID
    TheWorldNationF5

This video might make Battlefield 4 more appealing, when looking under the hood this game is awesome and a true sucessor to Battlefield 3

But that's just my opinion, im still well into the FPS genre.

And PC will be the best platform to play this game on...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3LLFYpAYak Driving Simulator 2011???
    The guy below me hopefully knows what i mean...

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If anyone thought it was going to look identicle to the PC version using a 7990 they are wearing rose tinted glasses while drinking rose wine and live in Lancashire whilst listening to UB40 red red wine.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-23-2013 at 17:43.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    If anyone thought it was going to look identicle to the PC version using a 7990 they are wearing rose tinted glasses while drinking rose wine and live in Lancashire.
    Of course it would never look like that but I mean c'mon the way they describe it, makes me think at the most it will look like BF3 on PC running at ULTRA, which imo is bad considering it's on the PS4 which is supposed to be a beast machine capable of handling a lot.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Oh $#@! pre order canceled! $#@! you Sony

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

Yea, sony this is a HUMAngous failure...lol

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Lmao!,

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Don't expect the day one release titles to look like the second coming. It will be a good two years before we start seeing developers really getting the most out of the consoles - no different to what happened this gen. You stick a PS3 (or 360 for that matter) game in from 4 or 5 years ago and see what it looks like compared to its sequel or new titles around today. No comparison.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Lmao!,
    Dead serious! will post the receipt when I get back from work

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Lol....and here I am liking your post cuz I thought you were kidding. Wow
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    Lol....and here I am liking your post cuz I thought you were kidding. Wow

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Ok bro.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Dedicated Member
    Well, 1. This is IGN we're talking about, these guys thrive on FUD to keep the click-throughs coming, and 2. DICE is a very talented bunch, and adding higher res assets and increasing the scale of maps isn't really such a tough thing to do, biggest limitation for that on consoles is usually RAM, but that's not the case this time around.

No need to worry until and unless the final game on the consoles is subpar to the PC version by a large margin. If that's the case then EA screwed us all with these high end PC demos.

Dedicated Member
    So much for the ps4 being so powerful. ps4 can do hUMA it is 50% more powerful than xbox one blah blah..we've heard it all. if bf4 on ps4 ends up severely lacking compared to the pc version or if the xbox one version does native 1080p while the ps4 is doing some sub 1080p resolution, that would be a massive fail. all you folks hyping yourself about the ps4 being a beast of a machine might end up disappointed. this generation also ps3 was supposed to be much more powerful than xbox 360, i remember reading back here in 2005/06. but majority of multiplats turned out better on the 360, and many of you blamed it on 'lazy developers'. if next gen ps4 gets the underpowered versions, who would you blame? the console is no longer difficult to develop for.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    ^--soo guessing your not gonna be picking up a ps4 anytime soon.

Anyways I just feel that it was very incomplete from what was described to me so I'm not really worried at this point. Aslong as it looks as good as that pc bf3 first gameplay vid ill be happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Gantz; 08-23-2013 at 20:08.

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    ^--soo guessing your not gonna be picking up a ps4 anytime soon.

Anyways I just feel that it was very incomplete from what was described to me so I'm not really worried at this point. Aslong as it looks as good as that pc bf3 first gameplay vid ill be happy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    i'm not picking up any next gen console until mid next year, but i think some of you have been hyping yourself about the power of the ps4 too much and might end up disappointed in the end. we're nearing august end and if this game is targetting the console launch just a few months later, it should be looking much better than what the ign guy is describing. and it would be disappointing if bf4 on ps4 it looks no more than a pc version of bf3 on high or ultra settings. we're talking about a next generation console here.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Wasn't this confirmed false?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I'll take that guys story and dump it in the garbage where it belongs. I never listen to this type of crap because you have to remember something about gaming and the people playing those games. Some people are so graphically stuck up while other gamers stick with the present instead of jumping ahead 50 years. I won't take anything that guy says and actually believe it and think the game is going to be graphically bad. No one should listen to that guy.

Thread Information