Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90
  1. #26
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,343
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    65,541 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    sure it won't. Because it is forcing lol. Your xbo is 361 without gold, nothing more.
    It's worth it to him though and that's what matters.

  2. #27
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    1,994 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Still services I can access everywhere else with at lest one LESS pay wall. Hmph. How this is justifiable in the least is appalling.


  3. Likes sainraja likes this post
  4. #28
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    I can't access any of those services on my living room TV, so this is a bonus for me and nice to see more stuff added as a gold value.

  5. #29
    Dedicated Member
    Ragnorok64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Why does gaming journalism suck so much? Listing all the online streaming services as separt "features" is an obvious ploy to inflate the number.

    Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #30
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,175
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    4,999 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I can't access any of those services on my living room TV, so this is a bonus for me and nice to see more stuff added as a gold value.
    I don't understand why you'd even say this. Why do u see services available every where else without a paywall as a value behind a gold paywall? I don't understand the logic in this.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  7. #31
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,343
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    65,541 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Still services I can access everywhere else with at lest one LESS pay wall. Hmph. How this is justifiable in the least is appalling.
    Then you go ahead and do that. People are still gonna pay for xbox-live, paywall or not. I think the majority of gamers are there for the mulit-player anyway. I'd rather them add stuff to gold rather than nothing at all. That's the benefit for the paying members.

  8. #32
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    I don't understand why you'd even say this. Why do u see services available every where else without a paywall as a value behind a gold paywall? I don't understand the logic in this.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    For me, and this is just my opinion on it, it is all about convenience.

    Yes, youtube, lastfm, pandora, etc... all that stuff can be done for free on pc/mac. fine. However, if i am upstairs playing a game before bed, I am not near a PC. I decide I want to listen to some music prior to crashing. If MS didn't tack it into my Gold account, I would need to go get my laptop, or iPad and listen. OR i can just quit the game, fire up the console app and be done. I bought gold for MP gaming, so anything else that is a convenience is just that... a convenience. I am not blind, I know it sucks for people who buy a console to have Netflix only to find out they need to buy Gold and Netflix, but that's life.

    The fact that I get what I paid for, the MP gaming access for my friends and relatives that I game with, but I ALSO get new features added constantly that I can choose to access, is really nice.

    Notice, I am not saying Live is better than PS+ or the PSN, I am simply saying I am not paying for Gold to muddle with apps... I am paying for Gold to play with my friends and family. All other things Gold does, and keeps getting added to, is just more I can take advantage of.

  9. #33
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    I don't understand why you'd even say this. Why do u see services available every where else without a paywall as a value behind a gold paywall? I don't understand the logic in this.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Believe me, I wish everything was free. The way I look at it, I will have to pay $50 a year for XBL to get multiplayer, and I will being paying $50 a year on PSN to get multiplayer. I will get access to all those apps on both consoles, for the same price.

    Sucks for those that go with Xbox Live Free, and cool for those that go with PSN free.

  10. Likes Shingo likes this post
  11. #34
    Elite Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    34
    Points
    18,038 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    For me, and this is just my opinion on it, it is all about convenience.

    Yes, youtube, lastfm, pandora, etc... all that stuff can be done for free on pc/mac. fine. However, if i am upstairs playing a game before bed, I am not near a PC. I decide I want to listen to some music prior to crashing. If MS didn't tack it into my Gold account, I would need to go get my laptop, or iPad and listen. OR i can just quit the game, fire up the console app and be done. I bought gold for MP gaming, so anything else that is a convenience is just that... a convenience. I am not blind, I know it sucks for people who buy a console to have Netflix only to find out they need to buy Gold and Netflix, but that's life.

    The fact that I get what I paid for, the MP gaming access for my friends and relatives that I game with, but I ALSO get new features added constantly that I can choose to access, is really nice.

    Notice, I am not saying Live is better than PS+ or the PSN, I am simply saying I am not paying for Gold to muddle with apps... I am paying for Gold to play with my friends and family. All other things Gold does, and keeps getting added to, is just more I can take advantage of.
    You clearly don't get what everyone trying to say. They are not blaming you for paying x amount of money to y company. It is easy to say just plain WRONG , putting these kind of easy to access from everywhere functions behind paywall. we all got that , you guys are happy with your gold. It is ok and nobody cares where you throw your money, really. But what MS doing is clearly bull$#@!, this fact still stands whatever you say about it.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList

    Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

  12. Likes D3seeker, VayMasters86 likes this post
  13. #35
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    You clearly don't get what everyone trying to say. They are not blaming you for paying x amount of money to y company. It is easy to say just plain WRONG , putting these kind of easy to access from everywhere functions behind paywall. we all got that , you guys are happy with your gold. It is ok and nobody cares where you throw your money, really. But what MS doing is clearly bull$#@!, this fact still stands whatever you say about it.
    I use the services on and off the xbox. whether I had gold or not, I could still use them. the fact that I get it WITH gold is a bonus, not a necessity. Would i be happy if I didn't have a laptop or other device and NEEDED the xbox to connect? maybe not. then again, i would still have Gold so it wouldn't matter.

    what you and others don't get is, we LIKE gold how it is... the services and such that they make available to our gold accounts increases its worth rather than detract from it.

    The added capability is nice to have.

    Don't think for an instant I don't "get" what everyone (broad term isn't it?) is trying to say... If you poll ACTUAL live users, you will likely find out most of them don't care the stuff is behind a pay wall... because if they are MP gamers, it doesn't matter. It is all included.

  14. Likes F34R likes this post
  15. #36
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,133
    Rep Power
    246
    Points
    149,395 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I use the services on and off the xbox. whether I had gold or not, I could still use them. the fact that I get it WITH gold is a bonus, not a necessity. Would i be happy if I didn't have a laptop or other device and NEEDED the xbox to connect? maybe not. then again, i would still have Gold so it wouldn't matter.

    what you and others don't get is, we LIKE gold how it is... the services and such that they make available to our gold accounts increases its worth rather than detract from it.

    The added capability is nice to have.

    Don't think for an instant I don't "get" what everyone (broad term isn't it?) is trying to say... If you poll ACTUAL live users, you will likely find out most of them don't care the stuff is behind a pay wall... because if they are MP gamers, it doesn't matter. It is all included.
    That perfectly sums up my stance on it.




  16. Likes Cuguy likes this post
  17. #37
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Who is this "everyone"?

  18. #38
    Elite Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    34
    Points
    18,038 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I use the services on and off the xbox. whether I had gold or not, I could still use them. the fact that I get it WITH gold is a bonus, not a necessity. Would i be happy if I didn't have a laptop or other device and NEEDED the xbox to connect? maybe not. then again, i would still have Gold so it wouldn't matter.

    what you and others don't get is, we LIKE gold how it is... the services and such that they make available to our gold accounts increases its worth rather than detract from it.

    The added capability is nice to have.

    Don't think for an instant I don't "get" what everyone (broad term isn't it?) is trying to say... If you poll ACTUAL live users, you will likely find out most of them don't care the stuff is behind a pay wall... because if they are MP gamers, it doesn't matter. It is all included.
    Man... I said it is ok if you pay only for xbo pizza hut app. Why would I care? or anyone ? I find this matter is not your fault ( paying for MP or another function ) but for me the problem is MS , because them putting all these basic funtions behind a paywall. You say it gives more value to gold, yet it took away the value for a person who is interested in SP games. On the other hand , MS does not want SP gamers anymore.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList

    Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

  19. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
  20. #39
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,175
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    4,999 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Who is this "everyone"?
    I believe it means the opposing side in this discussion.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  21. #40
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    There is no doubt that Microsoft is encouraging consumers to buy their Xbox Live Gold service for $60 a year, with a goal of generating more revenues and profits. They have been doing the same thing since 2002. 11 years later, they have given Gold subscribers access to multiplayer, with more and more features added each year for the $60. Xbox Live Silver has been the same since day one on the Xbox 360. Access to the marketplace, friends lists and game demos.

    I am not seeing too many surprises here.

  22. #41
    Elite Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    34
    Points
    18,038 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Who is this "everyone"?
    English is not my mother language, actually I am pretty bad. So I advice you to try harder to understand my words, or put me to your ignore list.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList

    Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

  23. #42
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    English is not my mother language, actually I am pretty bad. So I advice you to try harder to understand my words, or put me to your ignore list.
    Why would I put you on my ignore list? You haven't done anything wrong.

  24. #43
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,405
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,440 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    For me, and this is just my opinion on it, it is all about convenience.

    Yes, youtube, lastfm, pandora, etc... all that stuff can be done for free on pc/mac. fine. However, if i am upstairs playing a game before bed, I am not near a PC. I decide I want to listen to some music prior to crashing. If MS didn't tack it into my Gold account, I would need to go get my laptop, or iPad and listen. OR i can just quit the game, fire up the console app and be done. I bought gold for MP gaming, so anything else that is a convenience is just that... a convenience. I am not blind, I know it sucks for people who buy a console to have Netflix only to find out they need to buy Gold and Netflix, but that's life.

    The fact that I get what I paid for, the MP gaming access for my friends and relatives that I game with, but I ALSO get new features added constantly that I can choose to access, is really nice.

    Notice, I am not saying Live is better than PS+ or the PSN, I am simply saying I am not paying for Gold to muddle with apps... I am paying for Gold to play with my friends and family. All other things Gold does, and keeps getting added to, is just more I can take advantage of.
    The services that are behind a paywall on the Xbox aren't on the PlayStation and even the Nintendo Wii/Wii U. Microsoft just needs to be a little more competitive there.

    There's no good reason for those services (even the ones that their competitors don't have) to be behind an extra paywall. XBL does nothing to improve those services (Netflix streams better on the PS3 for me than it does on the Xbox.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I use the services on and off the xbox. whether I had gold or not, I could still use them. the fact that I get it WITH gold is a bonus, not a necessity. Would i be happy if I didn't have a laptop or other device and NEEDED the xbox to connect? maybe not. then again, i would still have Gold so it wouldn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

    what you and others don't get is, we LIKE gold how it is... the services and such that they make available to our gold accounts increases its worth rather than detract from it.

    The added capability is nice to have.

    Don't think for an instant I don't "get" what everyone (broad term isn't it?) is trying to say... If you poll ACTUAL live users, you will likely find out most of them don't care the stuff is behind a pay wall... because if they are MP gamers, it doesn't matter. It is all included.


    Bonus? Sure...yes it's a bonus....but it's artificial.
    Last edited by sainraja; 08-28-2013 at 00:02.

  25. Likes Demi_God likes this post
  26. #44
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    24
    Points
    8,203 (0 Banked)
    I don't get the big deal about this. If you're buying a console for these services then you will need to either pay for Live or get a PS4. If you're buying a console for games and want to play online then these services are bonus.

    MS isn't forcing anyone to do anything. If someone doesn't like it they can get a PS4. They know what they're getting into when they buy the console.

    The only FACT here is that those trying to put down the One bring this up. If you don't like it then that's understandable. But don't trash other people for being willing to pay for these services. That's immature.

    BTW, if MS really felt the need to be competitive in this area, they wouldn't put the services behind a paywall. There are obviously others willing to pay for these services. Perhaps if Sony would follow suit, they wouldn't be in so much damned financial trouble,
    Last edited by Old Man Gamer; 08-28-2013 at 00:02.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  27. #45
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,405
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,440 (0 Banked)
    Old Man Gamer -- that's a good way to discredit valid points that are being brought up. No one is hating on the Xbox One.

    You do realize that the value Xbox One offers WOULD increase if Microsoft removed the extra paywall they have for services that are provided for free elsewhere? (only requiring the main subscription.)

    I can understand the point of view that there is not much we can do about it (it is, what it is) but to argue in favor of it? That I will never understand.

  28. #46
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    I agree somewhat with Sainraja. While the Playstation does not put these behind a pay wall, the advantage that XBL holds is substantially more apps available, along with mandated UI's that are consistent across each app, full support for cross game and video chat while in the apps, full Kinect support for all apps, as well as better/more consistent controls. Those things I find lacking in the Playstation versions of each app.

    But UI consistency and a larger volume of apps shouldn't rest on the consumer. Unless of course there are some hidden costs on XBL that we don't know about.

  29. #47
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    24
    Points
    8,203 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Old Man Gamer -- that's a good way to discredit valid points that are being brought up. No one is hating on the Xbox One.

    You do realize that the value Xbox One offers WOULD increase if Microsoft removed the extra paywall they have for services that are provided for free elsewhere? (only requiring the main subscription.)

    I can understand the point of view that there is not much we can do about it (it is, what it is) but to argue in favor of it? That I will never understand.
    I'm not arguing FOR it, but I'm not arguing against it either. Everyone is saying that it's dumb or stupid, but it's working for MS so it's neither of them. If it wasn't working MS would change it.

    Would the value really increase? If MS really believed that and they could make more money making those services free, they would do so?

    As for discrediting valid points, valid points to some are invalid to others, namely MS and those paying for the service.

    Look at it this way, many here argue that the PS3 is a better value because of better games, blu ray and free online with no services behind a paywall. But MS is raking in the cash with the 360 and Live. Whatever the reason, it's working so there is no impetus for MS to change. Why would they change if that many people see value in it.

    You can't really argue right and wrong here because of how successful MS' plan is.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  30. #48
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    6,048 (0 Banked)
    I guess MS believes that gold is no longer worth the value so they need to take everything they have and put them behind the pay wall to increase the worth as much as possible to compete. tsk, tsk, tsk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

    "Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

  31. #49
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    24
    Points
    8,203 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    I guess MS believes that gold is no longer worth the value so they need to take everything they have and put them behind the pay wall to increase the worth as much as possible to compete. tsk, tsk, tsk.
    Actually, your statement couldn't me more incorrect. The services that they have ARE Gold. Gold Live consists of on-line game play, chat, messaging and the apps. The adding of services is something that MS, Sony and Nintendo are all doing. The big difference is that customers are willing to pay for Gold without hesitation.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  32. #50
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,405
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,440 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I'm not arguing FOR it, but I'm not arguing against it either. Everyone is saying that it's dumb or stupid, but it's working for MS so it's neither of them. If it wasn't working MS would change it.
    Well, you seem to be OKAY with it. I can't understand that either.

    Would the value really increase? If MS really believed that and they could make more money making those services free, they would do so?
    I said the value of the Xbox One would increase. So, yes...it really would. Right now it is just an artificial bullet point for the XBL service as those apps don't really add value to it. Netflix/Amazon etc are available on many devices.

    As for discrediting valid points, valid points to some are invalid to others, namely MS and those paying for the service.
    If that is all you had meant by it I wouldn't have said a thing. What you were doing is like me saying you want to talk up Microsoft is why you defend Microsoft's decision to keep it behind a paywall.

    Look at it this way, many here argue that the PS3 is a better value because of better games, blu ray and free online with no services behind a paywall. But MS is raking in the cash with the 360 and Live. Whatever the reason, it's working so there is no impetus for MS to change. Why would they change if that many people see value in it.
    The reason does matter. People aren't subscribing to XBL for Netflix, etc. So Microsoft may as well remove the extra paywall and add some value to their console without the need of an XBL subscription.

    You can't really argue right and wrong here because of how successful MS' plan is.
    This isn't about right or wrong. Both Microsoft and their customers would benefit if Netflix wasn't locked behind the XBL subscription.

    People who buy the Xbox One are Microsoft customers also, not just those who pay for XBL.

  33. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.