Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Until 100Mb/s download stream is a reality day to day, I will only download those dd only titles I am DIYING for.

As of now 12Mb/s is as good as I've seen on what supposed to be a 20Mb/s connection, and that's a rarity in itself. Damn you Comcast!
    Got a 25Mb/s connection last week. Still can't be bothered to download 50GB games

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Got a 25Mb/s connection last week. Still can't be bothered to download 50GB games
    If I had the speed to make it a 30 min download, and had a chance to resell the games later, I could cuddle to the all digital concept.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If I had the speed to make it a 30 min download, and had a chance to resell the games later, I could cuddle to the all digital concept.
    Well 25Mb/s means 3MB/s so there's no way its a 30min download

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    What's the point of having a fast connection when Sony's servers can't handle it?

With a 200Mbit connection I never managed to download from PSN faster than 20-30Mbits/s.
    That was a while ago though and the servers might have been upgraded. Maybe I should make a test again to find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by MjW; 09-29-2013 at 22:28.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I don't mind the waiting for downloads at all, lived with it with Steam.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSN ID
    IceKnight77
    I acutally am considering going digital only later on in the PS4s lifespan but not those first few years

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I don't mind the waiting for downloads at all, lived with it with Steam.
    Oh yeah same with me since I download overnight. Its more to do with the HDD space for me

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    What's the point of having a fast connection when Sony's servers can't handle it?

With a 200Mbit connection I never managed to download from PSN faster than 20-30Mbits/s.
    That was a while ago though and the servers might have been upgraded. Maybe I should make a test again to find out.

Still the same. the PSN still needs a lot of work!

Superior Member

Undecided on this think I may wait till I see the psn prices, if they are still ridiculously higher than disc based games then no ill be disc only but if they are similarly priced then I may just go digital only

Forum Sage
    Depends on the prices before i take the plunge. I do prefer DD to physical games (i'll usually always opt to buy a digital version from Steam/GoG/GMG) but if it is the same as this generation where digital games are around 50 then I'll be sticking to physical games for consoles

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Well 25Mb/s means 3MB/s so there's no way its a 30min download
    4.6 hours.
    2.1 hours for me.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Killzone Shadow Fall confirmed 50gb. haha $#@! that would take me literally 3 days to download. dat digital future

Forum Sage
    3 days!?! I could probably get that in about 2-3 hours! I suppose you Aussies need something negative about your country

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post

Because there are other things to download I'd kill for a connection that fast.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    All digital is gonna be tuff with games reaching 50Gbs plus at times.
    The way I see it working is if this play as you download works really well.
    I posted this in a differ t thread earlier, but it applies to this all the same:

-It all depends on how fast you can start playing as you download, because if you can start playing after 5 min or less, than having all or most of your digital games uninstalled waiting to be installed/played whenever you want, wouldn't be so impractical and a waste of time as it is now.
    If it takes 20 min or so to start playing, then it would only be used for the first install, then you wouldn't un-install it until your done with it. I could see this play as you download feature changing the way we store our games, as long as it's fast as hell. (I'm skeptical)
    I mean, that's how I use steam now, I have a 500Gb HD and have over 100 games so I never have more than a third of my library installed at one time and those games take 30 to 90 min. to install depending on the game of course.
    The way things are now, it's crazy to think of storing games like that, but with the PS4's play as you download, as long as it really is fast, then our mindsets on game storage may completely change.
    Will have to see for ourselves in the end, because this feature sounds to good to be true, and I would expect it to take 20 min at least before you can start playing any game, but who knows. Will be an amazing feature if it plays out the way Sony wants it to.-

Apprentice
    I am intending to go digital for the following reasons:

1. I am not concerned with resale values as in reality what are second hand games worth? I just sold a load of ps3 games on ebay and the amount raised was hardly worth the effort.

2. Hard drive space and download times again don't bother me. With the PSN app you can start the download remotely saving time The feature to start playing before the whole game has downloaded will also counter this. Plus I only play two games max at once so HD space should not be an issue.

3. Price. This is the only part that bothers me but after comparing Amazon prices with PSN maybe this won't be an issue. This is on the basis that you can obtain PSN cards with a 20% discount.

Game PSN Discount Amazon Difference
    FIFA 14 59.99 47.99 39.97 8.02
    GTA 5 49.99 39.99 41.98 -1.99
    The Last of the Us 39.99 31.99 35.82 -3.83
    Lego Batman 7.19 5.75 13.94 -8.19

As you can see with the 20% discount its only rip off EA that is more expensive. I would hope this will be the same for PS4 games but we shall see......

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I've bought a surprising number of digital titles recently. very convenient and a lot less clutter. I may go digital after all.

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I want to go Digital, but I dunno if it will truly be the way forward until next gen.

Pricing and size of download are my only concerns. I may end up going Digital like I originally intended but I'm not so sure just yet. It's a tough choice for me.

I don't want to go half and half. If I'm going digital I'm going full on.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I want to go Digital, but I dunno if it will truly be the way forward until next gen.

Pricing and size of download are my only concerns. I may end up going Digital like I originally intended but I'm not so sure just yet. It's a tough choice for me.

I don't want to go half and half. If I'm going digital I'm going full on.
    We will all get drive club so at least we will get an idea of these potential issues. I imagine there will be a huge amount of new PS+ members so digital will become more the norm due to all the free games.

Give it six months and IMO the download culture will be the norm as opposed to the exception.

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    I really wanted to go all digital, but with a 1.5 Mb connection there's not a chance in hell of that happening. Theoretically it'd take me 75 hours to download KZ.

Dedicated Member
    I really hope this offer comes to the EU before launch in the UK.., especially when used in conjunction with discounted PSN cards, game become a lot cheaper.

currently in the US, if you spend $50 on SEN/PSN you get $10 back.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...ge-3/#comments
    PSN = prison_inmate

Dedicated Member
    I really cant see going all digital. For one I entirely prefer to have my game collection. Another thought is I downloaded that DC universe( I think thats what it is), That was 17.3(maybe 14.3) gigs I believe. IT took like 5 hours. My internet aint the fastest but it is reasonable. I have roadrunner. Everything seems to download slower on my ps3. There are games that I would buy if it came out disc based. LIke if sony could do like put a few games on disc that sold well or are worth while, and sell as some sort of collection

That got me to thinking Ive got a buddy joey. Now he lives about 10-15 miles from me. He doesnt even have a high speed connection available to him where he lives. Thats insane I know, but there are alot more areas like that then people seem to think.

All in all I hope this digital fails and fails big. cause eventually when every game starts coming out digital only people like me and joey are screwed. I know connections will get better and expand but thats still along way down the road. At the end of the day I would still prefer my disc.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I did a speed test on ps3 last night. I got 3.5 Mbps when my connection is 25Mbps
    Yeah, digital ain't happening for me most likely

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoff2183 View Post
    All in all I hope this digital fails and fails big. cause eventually when every game starts coming out digital only people like me and joey are screwed.
    I appreciate digital downloads dont and wont suit everybody but you hope it fails because it doesn't suit you or your buddy?

Thats lame.
    PSN = prison_inmate

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
    I appreciate digital downloads dont and wont suit everybody but you hope it fails because it doesn't suit you or your buddy?

Thats lame.
    No, You dont seem to understand eventually digital will usher out the physical media. That is my reason behind it. You already see it games not releasing on disc, only on digital. In my opinion not lame. If digital succeeds then they will not see a reason to release on disc period.

Thread Information