Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This thread makes me think of this gif:

Its frankly stupid to compare Consoles to PCs. Always will be, always has been. One is upgradeable, the other is not. One is rather expensive to keep it "top of the line", the other is affordable by the masses. Consoles will never beat PCs at least anytime soon.
    Last edited by Fenix; 08-26-2013 at 03:32.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

2. Likes Ghost , JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    this argument is pointless, the PC will always reign king in the graphics department. why do people continue to debate this??? the console is a closed system, while the pc can be upgraded quite a bit in a years time. im loving what i see in the ps4, and hey, i don't have to pay $1000 on a graphics card to play the latest games (exaggeration i know, but you get my point)

anywho, don't people think the graphics coming out of next gen CONSOLES is good enough? if not, fork over money for a ****ing gaming pc
    Last edited by JDizzleNO1; 08-26-2013 at 03:38.

Veteran
    This isn't an argument or comparison, just the observation that a high-end gaming PC right now is about 4 times more powerful than the PS4 or 4.5 time more powerful than the XBone. Also, even if it is a gaming PC, it is also used for everything else including compute intensive applications that takes hours to process. I have an i7-3770 o/c'd to 4GHz and a GTX670 card, and it is hardly being stressed on ultra settings now, although I turn postprocessing off. Most of my games are running at 1080p much greater than 60fps most of the time without really trying, while console devs are struggling to achieve this. That is just the reality and it isn't without a lot higher buy-in cost.

The PS4 is going to be a big jump over the PS3, and for those that have complained a long time about not having or being able to get a high-end gaming PC. Being able to play games smoothly fully 1080p on a 1080p HDTV with tesselation, expanded dynamic lighting, intense volumetric effects, are going to make the PS3 very dated looking. Even as good as TLOU was, it was squeezing every bit out of the PS3 and some areas were pretty rough looking.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Ps4 will look loads better than ps3 and that's all that matters to me. I tried pc gaming before and just didn't enjoy it as much. I like how tied together the psn is compared to computer.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    This is definitely a comparison. Saying PC looks better than console is a comparison.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 08-26-2013 at 04:12.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    A PC-centric game looks better on PC!? NO WAY! As others have said, this isn't much of a surprise. I dare say that what we get will get a fair bit of polish between now and release.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Ultimate Veteran
    Don't worry about what pcs do because they will always be a head of console.dont listen to what mark cerney says its pr.
    Yes the ps4 is mind blowing but in about 6 months pcs will pass it

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    Finally, someone that knows what he is talking about. Here is what puzzles me though. Why do you think it is only running on 720P?

I do not get it. BF3 runs on 7870 with 2560x1440 res at around 30 fps. Unless BF4 is humongous leap from BF3, it does not make sense.
    because, you'd have to run BF4 on that resolution with the 7870 to get a better comparison going.

secondly, the game was designed for this gen and then ported over to next-gen, most likely. so it's not really efficient for next-gen and likely taking out more performance out of current gen consoles.

wait until the next BF game and see how that looks (if it's only next-gen that is).

Elite Guru
    Focus on the experience not the specs. The X360 and Ps3 have been trailing behind the PC practically since launch and we haven't been complaining. I don't see why we should now.

11. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    toxic-nightmare
    Then you look at killzone SF which is exclusive to the ps4 oppose to crossgen+multiplatform and can tell that its just EA/Dice.

Check spoiler for Gifs

| Diablo 3 battletag : Toxictemplar#1752 | PSN : Toxic-Nightmare | gamertag : Toxictemplar | Feel free to add me |

13. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Just the GTX780 is $650. The i7-4770K is about $350. 32GB DDR3 RAM is about $300. That's $1,300 right there, then there is the motherboard, the power supply, the case, the Blu-ray drive, the SSD and hard drives. You aren't going to end up with anything decent for less than $3000. Right now, the upper resolution is 2.5K, 2560 by 1600. The GTX780 supports 4K, 4096 by 2560. This PC would have about 4 times the power of the PS4 and the XBone.
    This isn't an argument or comparison, just the observation that a high-end gaming PC right now is about 4 times more powerful than the PS4 or 4.5 time more powerful than the XBone.
    These kinds of posts always give me a good laugh. So you mean to tell me your $4000 pc is better than my $400 console? omg say it ain't so...

Speak to me when you build a pc for $400 thats better than the ps4....because that won't be happening for a long time.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-26-2013 at 14:51.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

15. Likes KungMartin90 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainZ View Post
    Finally, someone that knows what he is talking about. Here is what puzzles me though. Why do you think it is only running on 720P?

I do not get it. BF3 runs on 7870 with 2560x1440 res at around 30 fps. Unless BF4 is humongous leap from BF3, it does not make sense.
    Baseline. DICE themselves said that the framerate was the most important aspect to them, resolution would come second. They want it to be a 60fps 'smooth' experience for both Xbox One and PS4. They also said PS4 was already 'above' 720p in their test environment.

PCs will eventually overpass the power of the PS4, and pretty soon the components will be more affordable so more people would be able to buy them (some video cards are already more powerful than the one in PS4, but they cost a LOT more than 400 dollars). This is inevitable. But you have to consider other factors as well besides graphics.
    What I like about console gaming is that developers have to adapt to the hardware, since it does not change from console to console. On PC it's the hardware that has to adapt to the game: if you want to play new games in the highest possible settings, then you would have to be periodically changing your hardware to match the requirements of new games. Granted, the graphics would be amazing, but your wallet will hurt as well.
    I have bought BF3 for both PS3 and PC. Gaming on a pair of gtx480's, BF3 looks amazing, but in terms of fun, I preferred playing on the PS3, because all my friends bought on that platform.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Well, not much of a suprise imo.
    PC master race, BUT.
    I prefer playing from my couch with a bag of crisps next to me over better graphics

19. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post

Speak to me when you build a pc for $400 thats better than the ps4....because that won't be happening for a long time.
    Exactly.

That's basically it. The same parts from a PS4 used in a regular PC wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as it is in PS4.

It's actually the same with PS3. It has **** hardware in comparison to my i7 3770k, gtx 670 and 8 gb DDR3 ram, but it still has an exclusive game (Uncharted 3) that looks better than anything I've played on it. Except for like Crysis 3.
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 08-26-2013 at 18:15.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    ^ yes I believe BF4 in particular is a bad example to go by and who knows if the cross gen dev is holding the team back from investing more time into optimizing their engine for next gen.

Its clear PC will continue to widen the power gap but at the cost of price/energy/heat. Honestly some of the stuff we have been shown (The Division, The Order, Dark Sorcerer etc) have blown me away considering the gen hasn't even started yet so I say we will see great things

This makes me giggle. I remember when I bought Fall of Man way back when at launch for the PS3 talking about how pretty and smooth it was to play. Looking at it now just shows how a console evolves throughout it's lifetime. What you see at launch is far from what you get in a couple years time. A console is an investment.

As for the PC version being better than the PS4 version, uh...duh. It was to be expected. Consoles can only do so much, even the new ones. When you can't optimize due to cross gen restrictions, and you've only been messing with the hardware for a year...I can see why the PC version will look better at this point in time.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

22. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Veteran
    Clearing up some misinterpretations here.

1. Never said I have a $4000 PC. Said the ones at Gamescom were *APPROACHING* $4000.

2. This isn't a comparison of PC to PS4 or saying that PC is naturally going to have better graphics. It is noting how wide the gap is this time around. When PS2 came out, gaming PC's were pretty sad and it took a few years to catch up, then pass by. When the PS3 came out, gaming PC's were about equal, with all the huge discussions about whether Killzone 2 was better than PC graphics, and the PC eventually passed by the PS3, then proceeded to widen the gap. So, that is the difference, this nextgen coming up is noticeably less powerful than a high-end gaming PC, and that isn't even including PC's that have multiple GPU's.

3. We have heard PC gaming was dying for many, many years and the PC still tends to have the ground-breaking games. However, the overall PC market is in steep decline. The problem is a lot of PC casuals only looked at a PC as a web browser, email, and social media interface with some casual games. Now, all that can be fulfilled on a smart phone or tablet. There will still be hardcore PC gamers but their numbers are now dwindling, not increasing.

4. The PS4 graphics at Gamescom were not bad, just not as good as the PC version, and some like Drive Club, looking very nice and a huge leap over the PS3 but not really dazzling. This is what those articles like this were saying and they are more understandable now:

http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-a...p-246906.phtml
    BioWare artist: Next-gen graphics not an obvious leap

http://www.gamepur.com/news/6155-car...-consoles.html
    Carmack: Fans should not expect "EPIC" leap in graphics with Next-Gen Consoles

5. Granted, an exclusive like Infamous Second Son is showing some particle and dynamic lighting effects that could be argued are better than any multiplatform game on the PC. It is just these launch titles are not showing any huge leap over PC graphics. They are a huge leap over the PS3 but that was expected.

6. Totally agree the console play environment is more fun than playing on a PC, so it isn't all about power. I was one that bought Bad Company 2 for the PC and the PS3. Played it a lot on PC, played it a lot on the PS3 and ended up playing it a lot more on the PS3 although the lower rez had to be overlooked. The console market is a lot bigger and stronger than the PC game market though and that is good for the console gamer.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

PSU Technical Advisor
    Uh.. They're talking about diminishing returns Bligmerk. Not that these consoles are pathetic\anemic, but that it takes alot more power to get truly "revolutionary" jumps in graphics to invoke that 'wow' factor.

See here:

Now, some areas that can really be used to to impress people will be lighting, physics, particles and animations.. We haven't seen a whole ton done with that in the past gen. GPGPU will be a great boon for most of those.

Super Elite
    Prettt much why I am staying with ps3 for a few months after release. also I have a backlog to finish.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just the GTX780 is $650. The i7-4770K is about $350. 32GB DDR3 RAM is about $300. That's $1,300 right there, then there is the motherboard, the power supply, the case, the Blu-ray drive, the SSD and hard drives. You aren't going to end up with anything decent for less than $3000. Right now, the upper resolution is 2.5K, 2560 by 1600. The GTX780 supports 4K, 4096 by 2560. This PC would have about 4 times the power of the PS4 and the XBone.

The proof is in the multiplayer. A PC like this would have no problem with 120fps at 1080p, with all the graphics settings set to Ultra. The console devs are struggling with getting steady 60fps at 1080p, and that is with some downgrading of T&L. The big change is that the console market is so big, it can drive what games make it to the PC, versus a game designed for the PC and poorly ported to the consoles. Still, this really is the first time there has been such a wide divide between the power of a current gen PC and next gen consoles. And that gap looks like it will be widening over the next few years. (It shows in the Drive Club off-screen shots also).
    Speaking as a long-term PC gamer with my own dual GPU SLI high end gaming rig, I don't think you realize a few things. Firstly, with current games and operating systems, NOTHING beyond 16GB of RAM will make the blindest bit of difference to gaming. Secondly, an i7 4770k is virtually no faster at all than a simple 3770k, or even a 3570k/4570k i5 when it comes to video gaming. They only shine when doing things like video editing and program compiling. Thirdly, the GTX 780 is not a good card for gaming at 4k resolutions. It only has 3GB VRAM, which is not enough for maxing out games at that resolution. At those resolutions, your best options are either dual 4GB 770's, which will crush a single 780 into the dust with ease, or a GTX Titan with 6GB VRAM. The same goes for gaming across 3 monitors at 2560 x 1600 or above.

And finally, you have to bear in mind that the PS4 and XBO versions of Battlefield 4 will not be released for at the very minimum 2-4 weeks after the PC version and previous generation versions. That's a hell of a lot of time for optimization. BF4 will never look as good on consoles as it does on PC simply because it doesn't have the optimization a console game needs, cross-platform games rarely do. However, if you took a look at a game like say, Deep Down on the PS4 for example, you would need a seriously high end PC to produce those graphics at a good framerate. It has superior graphics to Crysis 3, and I can tell you from experience that a GTX 780 will only achieve around 55-60 fps at max settings in 1920 x 1080 on Crysis 3.

To clarify, the graphics on the PS4 are not bad, they're just not quite as high resolution as on the PC. The PS4 version of the game is running higher than 720p but not quite as high as 1080p, however it is upscaled to 1080p. Unless you're playing on a 50+ inch TV and you're sitting closer than 5-6 feet away from it, you won't notice. Speaking as a PC gamer with a $2,000+ gaming rig, I think it's fantastic that a $400 console can play the same game with almost the same graphics at a solid 60 fps with the same player count. $400 will barely get you a decent GPU for a PC, let alone an entire system. As time goes on, developers will get more experience at optimizing for the new hardware. BF4 is virtually a launch title so you can't expect miracles.
    Last edited by Naxirian; 08-26-2013 at 21:31.

Extreme Poster
    do not forget: more triangles = more believable boobs.

it's worth it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    do not forget: more triangles = more believable boobs.

it's worth it.
    If you see dead or alive models they have 100k+ polys on current gen games (mostly because of costume accessories but breasts take a lot poly too but I think they are good enough in games now.

Bald marines with 600% rounder heads with the power of the cloud

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    If you see dead or alive models they have 100k+ polys on current gen games (mostly because of costume accessories but breasts take a lot poly too but I think they are good enough in games now.

Bald marines with 600% rounder heads with the power of the cloud
    I'd still rather have 600% more round boobs though.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Going to apologise in advance to those that were going "oh no a PC fanboy incoming", sorry if I do at times come across as one but I just hate people spewing drivel.
    Clearing up some misinterpretations here.

3. We have heard PC gaming was dying for many, many years and the PC still tends to have the ground-breaking games. However, the overall PC market is in steep decline. The problem is a lot of PC casuals only looked at a PC as a web browser, email, and social media interface with some casual games. Now, all that can be fulfilled on a smart phone or tablet. There will still be hardcore PC gamers but their numbers are now dwindling, not increasing.
    I would love to know where you get your idea from, digital sales of PC games are not in any numbers you see anywhere because there are literally hundreds of sites where you can purchase PC games. If Steam is anything to go by there are currently 6 million people playing online right now - 6 million! Now think about other digital distribution applications like Origin, Desura, and others that have their own like Perfect World, NCSoft, Battle.Net, etc., and you'll see that there's probably more than 75+ million people playing at any one time alone on the PC easily. In fact I'll just point at Korea, the entire country is probably playing StarCraft right now.

Anyway if PC gaming was dwindling rapidly then why is it that this game has more pre-orders and the series gains more sales year on year by millions?

6. Totally agree the console play environment is more fun than playing on a PC, so it isn't all about power. I was one that bought Bad Company 2 for the PC and the PS3. Played it a lot on PC, played it a lot on the PS3 and ended up playing it a lot more on the PS3 although the lower rez had to be overlooked. The console market is a lot bigger and stronger than the PC game market though and that is good for the console gamer.
    To you it might be more fun but to me it isn't, it's all a matter of preference.

CaptainZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    because, you'd have to run BF4 on that resolution with the 7870 to get a better comparison going.

secondly, the game was designed for this gen and then ported over to next-gen, most likely. so it's not really efficient for next-gen and likely taking out more performance out of current gen consoles.

wait until the next BF game and see how that looks (if it's only next-gen that is).
    Running 1440P to 720P is a still a huge gap regardless. I find it hard to believe BF3 to BF4 is equivalent of running 4 times more processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Baseline. DICE themselves said that the framerate was the most important aspect to them, resolution would come second. They want it to be a 60fps 'smooth' experience for both Xbox One and PS4. They also said PS4 was already 'above' 720p in their test environment.
    I see. Well, let us hope this puts pressure to bring it up to 1080p.

Thread Information