PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

How OpenStack will power Sonyís Online Games for PlayStation 4

for those wondering how sony's cloud will benefit us? tune in November 5 - 8

The upcoming release of Sonyís PlayStation 4 is one of the most hotly anticipated technology events of the year, and behind the launch, OpenStack will power Sonyís popular online games.
    After completing a successful proof of concept with Rackspace Private Cloud, Sony was drawn to the flexibility OpenStack offered over physical hosting and manual setup. This has allowed Sony to save time and money when deploying hundreds of online game environments every year.

Join Jim Curry of Rackspace and Monique Fraser, Director, Global Hosting Services, Sony, as they discuss:

• What attracted Sony to OpenStack
    • How Sony prepared existing staff for the transition from physical hosting to OpenStack
    • What performance and cost benefits Sony is experiencing
    • What the company would like to see from OpenStack in the future
    • The coolest games running on OpenStack when PlayStation 4 launches

Youíll leave this session inspired at how OpenStack is playing a vital role for one of the worldís foremost technology leaders and how itís helping PlayStation 4 in its quest to become ďThe Best Place to Play.Ē
    - See more at: http://www.openstack.org/rate/Presen....o0jo7YIr.dpuf

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Intriguing...

CaptainZ
    Never heard of openstack. So now PS4 games get dedicated servers?

Forum Elder
    Probably their first party offerings.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So it is open source?

CaptainZ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZneW-P5U4kQ

Some guy commenting about it. Explaining in plain term.

http://www.openstack.org/software/

or quick info on their website.

It is for compute, network and storage package.
    Last edited by CaptainZ; 08-26-2013 at 01:49.

Elite Guru
    Yep what CaptainZ said. Open Source Cloud operating system. Essentially the same as Azure.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Bu bu but is it scalable?

I know it is

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Bu bu but is it scalable?

I know it is

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    nope only on xbox one

DA POWERZ OF DA CLOUDZ!

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    nope only on xbox one

DA POWERZ OF DA CLOUDZ!
    I love what MS is doing with X1, I think they have a great future ahead of them with some awesome interface experiences and some awesome games... but all this cloud stuff is just stupid! It just feels like another way MS is trying to get everyone in on Gold even more.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I love what MS is doing with X1, I think they have a great future ahead of them with some awesome interface experiences and some awesome games... but all this cloud stuff is just stupid! It just feels like another way MS is trying to get everyone in on Gold even more.
    What do you love about a garbage console that has stupid kinect or connect your cable? You need a gaming console and these useless features and what kind of future do you see with this garbage system? Paying millions of dollars to developers to get 2 new DLCs only on garbage Xbox and release 2 games for time exclusive only.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    What do you love about a garbage console that has stupid kinect or connect your cable? You need a gaming console and these useless features and what kind of future do you see with this garbage system? Paying millions of dollars to developers to get 2 new DLCs only on garbage Xbox and release 2 games for time exclusive only.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you don't see value in it, others do. I saw a cool mo-cap thing for Kinect on Project Spark, that's hardout and while I probably won't get X1 any time soon if at all, it has its appeal.

OT: This should be interesting. NASA is in on this somewhere, might be some nice tech. Cloud is so next gen...next next gen consoles will use power of the nebula...And Sony has it now.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-26-2013 at 07:48.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you don't see value in it, others do. I saw a cool mo-cap thing for Kinect on Project Spark, that's hardout and while I probably won't get X1 any time soon if at all, it has its appeal.

OT: This should be interesting. NASA is in on this somewhere, might be some nice tech. Cloud is so next gen...next next gen consoles will use power of the nebula...And Sony has it now.
    "One man's trash is another man's treasure" Yeah, I hope you found cave of ALI BABA so there will be your treasure with Kinect with 3 DLCS.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I have to agree with you here. Yeah, this is a PS forum and I'm favoring Sony, especially this generation. Yeah, PS4 is more powerful..ok, that's out of the way.

I gotta say that while the XB1's feature set doesn't make me want it more than a PS4 personally, I DO think it's very cool. Yeah, you can argue it does a bunch of stuff you already do with your phone or iPad..I do it too and I develop stuff for said iPads and phones. BUT..I think it IS cool to have it integrated into the console. Yeah I'm not sure either how many others in the "mass market" will catch on to it all, but it remains very cool.

I also happen to think the kinect 2 is very cool as well as a piece of TECHNOLOGY. No, I don't want to spend my time in games waving my arms around, etc. I've found that all to be pretty tiring when done for significant amounts of time, although I think the implications of getting a good sweat on and a semi-workout while playing is cool too. It's just not how I personally want to spend my gaming time. But...the technology is pretty awesome. The demos of the night vision and how it can even tell how your fingers are moving is way cool. Not sure what the practical applications are but some dev who's smarter than me (well, ok...not totally realistic, but let's just say someone who applies themselves to that problem) will figure something out, I'm pretty sure.

The voice control and face recognition pieces are awesome too. I can see some more immediate applications for the voice control although again I don't know about a whole lot of that happening. I think that at least navigating your console interface thru gestures is pretty awesome and I was actually hoping that Sony would implement something similar in the PS4. If they do, I'll like that piece in my PS4 although again, I won't use it for long term gaming even if that is possible.

So, arguments and facts about raw power aside, I really don't think too many can truly argue that the XB1 isn't just pretty darn cool in the face of it all. Again, I'm not saying you have to PREFER it, I'm just saying if you really think about it, it's pretty cool, whether or not it totally appeals to you personally. At least that's my opinion. I also don't think that people who get an XB1 will be disappointed. Even IF there's a visible difference between every game on both platforms that favors the PS4, games will still run great and look great on the XB1. After all, Mass Effect 3 had noticeably better graphics on the PS3 when it came out and it didn't make the people who'd played it on the 360 have to go back and play it on the PS3, right? So whatever console people pick, they'll be happy.

Both consoles are going to feature a lot of integration with social media sites and I think both will venture into the gesture and voice control arenas although the XB1 is clearly more focused on that. I'm a PS3 and PS4 fan, but I'm not a militant fan or fanboy. I can appreciate technology, no matter who comes out with it and that's saying a lot since in my day job in IT over the years MS has subjected me to a LOT of pain and crap. XB1 is still cool just as the 360 was. I just prefer what I prefer for my own reasons and I share that on forums like this.

Good for you though, being psyched about these features on the console you are picking to purchase, or at least purchase first. There's a lot to be excited about, IMHO.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Elite Guru
    I gotta say that while the XB1's feature set doesn't make me want it more than a PS4 personally, I DO think it's very cool. Yeah, you can argue it does a bunch of stuff you already do with your phone or iPad..I do it too and I develop stuff for said iPads and phones. BUT..I think it IS cool to have it integrated into the console. Yeah I'm not sure either how many others in the "mass market" will catch on to it all, but it remains very cool.
    Exactly, MS have the chance to either strike it rich and finally deliver the full TV media experience or it could end up as a dismal failure. The tech is very cool, weather the interface delivers is the real question.

I also happen to think the kinect 2 is very cool as well as a piece of TECHNOLOGY. No, I don't want to spend my time in games waving my arms around, etc. I've found that all to be pretty tiring when done for significant amounts of time, although I think the implications of getting a good sweat on and a semi-workout while playing is cool too. It's just not how I personally want to spend my gaming time. But...the technology is pretty awesome. The demos of the night vision and how it can even tell how your fingers are moving is way cool. Not sure what the practical applications are but some dev who's smarter than me (well, ok...not totally realistic, but let's just say someone who applies themselves to that problem) will figure something out, I'm pretty sure.

. The voice and
    The voice control and face recognition pieces are awesome too. I can see some more immediate applications for the voice control although again I don't know about a whole lot of that happening. I think that at least navigating your console interface thru gestures is pretty awesome and I was actually hoping that Sony would implement something similar in the PS4. If they do, I'll like that piece in my PS4 although again, I won't use it for long term gaming even if that is possible.
    Kinect for games is just painful, Sony learnt that years earlier with Eyetoy and Kinect with all it's skeletal tracking and infra-red cameras is nice technology but it leads to terrible gameplay. For media interfaces it still has the possibility to deliver but again it's all down to implementation.

Universal voice control is going to be huge however, with a sensor that is designed for the living room and is always on is a very big deal. It's one of those features that sounds very simple in it's concept but can be a game changer.

So, arguments and facts about raw power aside, I really don't think too many can truly argue that the XB1 isn't just pretty darn cool in the face of it all. Again, I'm not saying you have to PREFER it, I'm just saying if you really think about it, it's pretty cool, whether or not it totally appeals to you personally. At least that's my opinion. I also don't think that people who get an XB1 will be disappointed. Even IF there's a visible difference between every game on both platforms that favors the PS4, games will still run great and look great on the XB1. After all, Mass Effect 3 had noticeably better graphics on the PS3 when it came out and it didn't make the people who'd played it on the 360 have to go back and play it on the PS3, right? So whatever console people pick, they'll be happy.
    Exactly, for X1 to be cool doesn't mean Ps4 has to suck. Both are going to deliver in big ways and we are all going to be winners this generation. Having both platforms is going to be amazing due to the wide variety of functionality.

Funnily enough since I'm in Australia the TV functionality of X1 is useless and I will be plugging my Ps4 into the X1 thus combining there capabilities into the ultimate system. I can play Killzone on Ps4 via the HDMI through put and snap my twitter app (or something equally pointless) on using Kinect if I so please, that is going to be bizarre.

Ps4 is going to deliver big but I'm not going to live in a bubble.

Both consoles are going to feature a lot of integration with social media sites and I think both will venture into the gesture and voice control arenas although the XB1 is clearly more focused on that. I'm a PS3 and PS4 fan, but I'm not a militant fan or fanboy. I can appreciate technology, no matter who comes out with it and that's saying a lot since in my day job in IT over the years MS has subjected me to a LOT of pain and crap. XB1 is still cool just as the 360 was. I just prefer what I prefer for my own reasons and I share that on forums like this.

Good for you though, being psyched about these features on the console you are picking to purchase, or at least purchase first. There's a lot to be excited about, IMHO.
    Trust me I've seen load of people in IT subjected to MS's crap over the years and it can be very unforgivable at times. But both are going to be rocking! Even if MS's grand vision ends up being total crap at least they will still have a decent games machine under it all and that's something everyone can enjoy.

---

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

As for the cloud stuff this software is really the best that Sony can get without licensing Azure off MS. Justing looking at the might of companies behind this venture should give you an idea of just how seriously it is taken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

And in the end if it doesn't work out they could just go Azure, Apple did with iCloud and it's worked out for them.

The real beef is if it will be useful in anyway. As these machines get more popular the overall power of the cloud relative to the user base will get diluted. If the next Call of Duty used it heavily it could ultimately end up driving down performance rather than helping out since so many people would be drawing from a limited reserve. These issues haven't been addressed by either side in this coming generation so far.

Thread Information