Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Blame the Game:8 year old kills Grandmother after playing GTA IV

Bad press right in time for GTAV release
    "According to WAFB, the child told police that he’d accidentally shot Smothers while playing with the gun. However, after an autopsy and a more extensive investigation on Friday, the sheriff’s office now believes that the eight-year-old boy shot Marie Smothers on purpose in the back of the head while she was watching television."

"An official statement from the sheriff’s office said that they didn’t know the motive for the boy shooting the grandmother. However “investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III Grand Theft Auto IV, a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred.”

Source : http://www.inquisitr.com/919762/mari...VtjbjULvmKb.99
    Loaded gun in the house with children - Totally cool bro
    GTAIV - OH GOD BURN IT WITH FIRE

Also what kind of a parent lets an 8 year old play a game such as GTAIV? (I guess the same kind that leaves guns in the house)
    Last edited by Itachi; 08-26-2013 at 02:09.

2. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah saw this on GAF.

I still don't get why people blame games. Yes, I mean I get why they would initially get that perception. But blaming games is as dumb as blaming violent movies/tv/music/books (which they don't do because it's not hip to do so).

People are nuts. Some more so than others. Add to that unlawful/careless access to weapons (not to mention ill-advised parenting/caregiving by giving access to a CLEARLY RATED ENTERTAINMENT product) then you get what you get.

Video games aren't to blame.

And any rational-thinking, non-conclusion jumping person will understand that.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I blame the parents.

5. Likes Fon likes this post
    Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Mario was my biggest downfall growing up, I can't help bit kick turtles whenever I see them now

7. Likes Itachi , Ezekiel, Fijiandoce likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I blame the parents.
    And you should. Working in child development and k-8 I have to say it is an insperation for beleving that you need a license to have a kid. This one child I had was was two years old and a biter. Not a big deal as most do at that age but he did it everyday and knew what he was doing was wrong. He amiled after. We told parent but she was typical denial her kid can never do anything wrong. Usually these parents are the same who blame something else when kid snaps or say "i never imagine he could do it" anyways ten years pass and guess what...kid has been expled a few times and geta into fights. If the parent had regonize problem early and goten the kid help he could be a great kid. But the parents failed.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

9. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    An eight year old playing a game like that... yes, the game has some affect on the kids mentality and what they learn. All in all, the parents, grandparents, shouldn't allow that child to play a game such as GTA IV. They also shouldn't have an gun accessible to the eight year old, loaded or unloaded, in the house.

Does the game sit at fault here? There aren't any easy answers. It isn't a "yes" or a "no".

11. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Off course use gaming as the blame and the easy way out
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    It has to do with more than just playing a video game though, at that age i was playing doom, mortal kombat and duke nukem, watching films like the terminator and predator, but not once did i ever think to get my dads gun and shoot someone with it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Video games are never the fault what so ever, it is the parents
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    the kid needed jesus

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    An eight year old playing a game like that... yes, the game has some affect on the kids mentality and what they learn. All in all, the parents, grandparents, shouldn't allow that child to play a game such as GTA IV. They also shouldn't have an gun accessible to the eight year old, loaded or unloaded, in the house.

Does the game sit at fault here? There aren't any easy answers. It isn't a "yes" or a "no".
    I agree with this too.

But instead of saying is said game "at fault" - I would say "do they have an effect"?

It's certainly a complex issue.

To me, the following comparison comes to; if I'm going for a tramp/walk in the woods, and suddenly a squirrel falls on my shoulders resulting in me royally pooping my pants - is it the squirrel's fault or not? Without the squirrel, would I have been scared enough to poop myself? But then I think; if I wasn't easily scared or startled (or rather, if it wasn't for "fear" itself) would I have shat my pants?

The point I'm trying to make is that the squirrel is interchangeable - I wasn't expecting an animal/object to fall right on top of me thus causing me to have that fear from surprise, and thus the result. I could swap that squirrel with a snake, a bear, a random backpack, etc. They would all be surprising and cause that initial "shock" factor.

What I'm saying is, yeah without that event (squirrell falling) I probably wouldn't have pooped my pants. But why? Because of this fear that happened.

So in this example, what is the "fear" factor here (I understand I'm making a lot of unintended jokes/references )? What is the underlying factor which triggers things like this? It's possible that it could've been a number of triggers from media or other experiences, which could have started this chain of events.

We don't know.

But I do know, it's far more complicated than "video game X is at fault". Because it isn't.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I played my first M rated game when I was 9 years old. Duke Nukem 64. Then Turok. I didn't kill my family or shoot up a school.

That kid was $#@!ed in the head. Scapegoating videogames is easy, but so is blaming the parents. How about blaming the kid? He's not innocent as society would suggest that all kids automatically are.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    I played my first M rated game when I was 9 years old. Duke Nukem 64. Then Turok. I didn't kill my family or shoot up a school.

That kid was $#@!ed in the head. Scapegoating videogames is easy, but so is blaming the parents. How about blaming the kid? He's not innocent as society would suggest that all kids automatically are.
    This I agree. I grew up with violent video games and so did my brothers but never did we ever consider spontaneously shoot or murder someone just because.

There are different elements in play here, like why was a loaded gun so accessible to an 8 year old?

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    I'd shoot any parent who thought it was okay to buy GTA for their kid. That big M on the box doesn't stand for 'money-saving gift for your kid'.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It was presented as information, and nothing more. As far as the wording goes that they hinted that the boy was confused... hell, they might have asked the boy and he said he did it in the game, so he thought he could do it at home...

Ya never know.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Kid's $#@!ed in the head, simple as that. If he can't make a distinction between reality and the virtual world, that's some head trauma. I mean, I understand kids are imaginative, but common...

Dedicated Member
    He is old enough to know better. He is a "natural born killer". Reminds me of the boy who beat his grandmother for chicken wings and stole her SUV "Its fun to do bad things"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    It's just too easy

I've been playing videogames since I was 10 years old (I'm 30 now). That's 20 years of videogame violence. I've been watching violent horror movies since I was a little kid. I've been listening heavy metal for all my life. But not once have I even punched another person. I dont want to hurt anyone. When I started doing martial arts, I had to choose Brazilian jiu-jitsu, because it didnt involve punching and kicking others. So yeah, games/movies/music really do make people more violent...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

25. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    This I agree. I grew up with violent video games and so did my brothers but never did we ever consider spontaneously shoot or murder someone just because.

There are different elements in play here, like why was a loaded gun so accessible to an 8 year old?
    Oh man, you guys are missing out. I killed all my family members and it was 'hella cool'.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo.T. View Post
    I've been playing videogames since I was 10 years old (I'm 30 now). That's 20 years of videogame violence. I've been watching violent horror movies since I was a little kid. I've been listening heavy metal for all my life. But not once have I even punched another person. I dont want to hurt anyone. When I started doing martial arts, I had to choose Brazilian jiu-jitsu, because it didnt involve punching and kicking others. So yeah, games/movies/music really do make people more violent...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
    Osss! Plus if a kid saw a flying Gogoplata, good luck repicating that without a mat.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    You cant say 'Its never the games fault'. Its partly the parents fault for leaving the gun out and not teaching him whats right and wrong by that age, and also buying the game for him. Guys he is 8! People are not all the same, you have to understand that! Some 8 yos may be extremely smart and some may not be, this one wasnt, this guys brain was weaker than the rest of us, and he obviously isnt the only one either.

The 'M' is there for a reason. Yes, most of u played violent games at that age and didnt kill anyone, but some did and thats why 8 year olds shouldnt be playing these games because its a risk! What if it does affect childrens brains? Its a risk that shouldnt be taken.

I would never let my future child play games like this at that age. (i wouldnt wait till hes 18 but maybe around 11-12

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    You cant say 'Its never the games fault'. Its partly the parents fault for leaving the gun out and not teaching him whats right and wrong by that age, and also buying the game for him. Guys he is 8! People are not all the same, you have to understand that! Some 8 yos may be extremely smart and some may not be, this one wasnt, this guys brain was weaker than the rest of us, and he obviously isnt the only one either.

The 'M' is there for a reason. Yes, most of u played violent games at that age and didnt kill anyone, but some did and thats why 8 year olds shouldnt be playing these games because its a risk! What if it does affect childrens brains? Its a risk that shouldnt be taken.

I would never let my future child play games like this at that age. (i wouldnt wait till hes 18 but maybe around 11-12

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    When I was 8 years old the most violent video games were

Altered beast
    Double Dragon
    Shinobi
    Mega man 2
    Forgotten worlds
    R Type

If anyone here has played any one of those games you will know they don't look violent compared to days offerings.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-01-2013 at 06:51.

PSN ID
    brendon7358@gmail.com
    This is insane, a violent video game does not encourage kid's to be violent, and still don't blame the game blame the person who let them play it !

Thread Information