Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

So I just finished AC1, AC2, AC3...back to back

Not going to do a 'Did you like it or not' for these ones. Just thought I'd spark convo on them.

So when I realized my hypetrain for AC4 wasn't slowing down anytime soon, I decided I should go back and experience the previous titles which I let pass me by. These were just more titles that had fallen into my huge ps3 backlog of games. As a small disclaimer, I skipped Brotherhood and Revelations. I did this because honestly by the end of AC2 I was kinda sick of Ezio and his spot in the timeline....I needed a change. I plan to go back and play through the two I skipped at some point, I just needed to move on from Ezio. AC2 was starting to really drag on for me by the end of it.

I'm pleased so say I enjoyed all 3. Each having their own merits and each their own faults. I think AC1 gave me the strongest 'Assassin' feeling in all honesty, with AC3 perhaps giving me the least feeling of 'Assassin'. However I felt like AC3 had the strongest story overall. Connor's story wasn't strictly a story about revenge, like Ezio's was. Though Connor did lose a loved one at the beginning which drove him in many ways, the majority of his story was him fighting for the survival of his people, and the good of mankind as a whole. And his interactions with his father were highly entertaining. Ezio just went on a vendetta for 18hrs? Can't remember how long that game was, but it was long. Slaughtering dozens upon dozens of enemies only to finally reach the guy he wants to kill and says
    ....really?

Playing all 3 back to back I was definitely able to see how the game evolved mechanically. The control scheme improved with every new addition. Though combat did feel to turn into a bit of a perma quick time event in some regard. But omg the navel combat, yes please god yes! If everything else about these games failed me (which they didn't), then the small taste of the navel combat solidifies my need to play AC4.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good thing you didnt do the last two parts to Ezio's Trilogy back to back, You'd do fine with Brotherhood but Revelations will bore the hell out of you. I did those two pretty much back to back and my god.. at the half way point of Revelations I just started rushing to get it over with lol (My trophy percent OCD will get the best of me and Ill have to replay it one day )

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

PSU Live Streamer
    Yea brotherhood is the one I'm told I need to make sure I don't miss. But when I heard it was as long as AC2 if not longer....yea lol, I decided it could wait.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Loved the first and second one and the handheld games were good... But AC3 with all it promised and made me care for a brief moment for the characters

I came to understand that loop holes were every where and the direction it went down was nothing more than dead ends
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Which one was your favourite?

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Which one was your favourite?
    Thats a tough one. None of them did everything right.

AC1 and AC2 gave me a better assassin feeling compared to AC3. In AC3 I spent way too much time on the ground due to distance between buildings being too vast. Less time spent out of sight out of mind, put me into more of 'run n gun' mode. But AC3 gave me a stronger story (both inside and outside the animus) with a more open world.

AC2 was a noticeable improvement over AC1 mechanically and graphically, where AC3 seemed less so compared to AC2. And AC3 seemed plagued with hard transitions to white screens too often. I preferred the city creation of AC2 over the homestead of AC3. But in the end I had more enjoyment with navel combat over city creation.

Even though the mechanics in AC1 were repetitive: get mission, do one of 3 objectives to learn about your target, then kill target. It still gave me the strongest feeling of being an assassin overall. I actually had to stalk not only my prey, but in alot of cases the informants that I needed to get info about my prey. AC2 gave me that feeling for the first few hours, but after a while recruiting groups of people to walk with you started to make it all too easy.

Something tells me my vote for favorite will be reserved for AC4, as recent news regarding that game seems to indicate its taken the best aspects of the previous titles and melded them together. Which sounds about right for me to pin a 'favorite' label to. Thats of course jumping to conclusions though as its not even out yet. Fingers crossed I don't OVER hype it too much for myself. And I definitely need to move on to other titles now so I'm not too sick of the game before I even own it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    I actually liked all of them ( even tho i probably wont replay any ). Ac3 was the worst for me as, like u said, it didnt have the assassin feeling to it. Connor was the worst character for me, he was too boring and his story was also boring as i could tell from the beginning what was going to happen in the end, someone kills his loved one and he takes revenge, simple. I also didnt like the fact that it was set in America, and the time it was set in, there was nothing new. I am also not looking forward to ac4, ill buy it only for desmond.

PSU Live Streamer
    Connor wasn't only driven by revenge though, he was fighting for his people. His motives were the same yet different at the sametime. He wanted to kill Charles Lee originally only because of the death of his mother. But at the sametime also to protect Washington from being destroyed and keep his peoples land from being sold.

If anything Ezio's story was the biggest cliche let down for me. Hours upon hours of killing up the ranks only to not kill the person you were mad at the whole time. That was the true revenge story, not Connors. Not in my opinion anyway.

And yes Ezio had more personality compared to Connor...but that was by design. Really can't compare a party animal rich kid ladies man, with a person that was raised in a traditional native american environment without seeing the blatant differences. What sold me on Connor was his interactions with his father and how different they were. And regardless of what happened between the two of them there were still those moments where his father asserted his parental authority over Connor and made him respond like a kid would to their parent. So while it might be easier to relate (or at least want to relate) to the party animal, I felt Connor offered a deeper more serious character in comparison.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-26-2013 at 17:05.

9. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    But Ezio managed to change, he was a party animal, yes, but after what happened, he changed. Its like we played two different characters in one game. And you say Connor was more serious, how does that make him better? I dunno, maybe its just where it was set, but Ac3 made me lose interest in ac4...

PSU Live Streamer
    Yup, you're right. Ezio did take on a more serious note as the story progressed. So he's wasn't one-sided with regards to his persona.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    Dont get me wrong tho, i liked Connor too, just not as much as the others...

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Well there's more to Ezio's trilogy with the other games. Of course they weren't as great, but Altair is also in Revelations.

Setting-wise I liked Assassin's Creed 2 the most. The Renaissance architecture was gorgeous and Jesper Kyd did an amazing job with the soundtrack. Gameplay-wise Assassin's Creed 3 was the pinnacle, and I also loved the naval battles. Altair was probably my favourite protagonist. Ezio's accent was laughable.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Well there's more to Ezio's trilogy with the other games. Of course they weren't as great, but Altair is also in Revelations.
    Yea and I'm looking forward to playing them both. I almost didn't want to start this thread until I played them, so I had the whole experience to go on first. But it could be a while until I do, and wanted to discuss the primary installments of the series. Not really looking forward to the mechanic in brotherhood where you can call in assassins to help ya....seems like an easy mode ability to me. But I'm just going off what I heard/read in reviews. I'll have to see for myself. With all the hate towards AC3, I ended up enjoying it alot. To each their own.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-26-2013 at 20:53.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Wow, well done.

Did Desmond's story arc make any more/less sense after doing this?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Live Streamer
    I guess lol.

I duno. I get how they use Desmond as a means to tie all the games together so that it feels more like a series and less like a grouping of games with the same title that take place with different characters and settings. But the entire Animus story feels tacked on, and in some cases its more of a nuisance then anything. However that being said, the animus story as it finishes at the end of AC3 seems like it might be ready to kick into high gear with the
    but just as that happens, AC4 takes us further back in time to before it happened....so we won't see the progression of that part of the game until perhaps AC5.

I came to understand that loop holes were every where and the direction it went down was nothing more than dead ends
    Last edited by guessqjj; 08-28-2013 at 09:24.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    My OCD won't let me skip Brotherhood and Revelations. I tried this last year. Always hated AC1 but forced my way through it for the story. Played and loved ACII and then got part way through Brotherhood before getting bored..been stuck there ever since. It's also the trophies that make it harder to finish..got stuck on one and my OCD won't let me continue with the game until I achieve it. (The 100% sync trophy..can't get it for the DaVinci mission inside the tank for having no damage).
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    My OCD won't let me skip Brotherhood and Revelations. I tried this last year. Always hated AC1 but forced my way through it for the story. Played and loved ACII and then got part way through Brotherhood before getting bored..been stuck there ever since. It's also the trophies that make it harder to finish..got stuck on one and my OCD won't let me continue with the game until I achieve it. (The 100% sync trophy..can't get it for the DaVinci mission inside the tank for having no damage).
    Wait till you play Revelations.. I guarantee you will get bored sooner.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4

PSN

Superior Member
    I finally got around to finishing Revelations a couple of days ago myself after having finshed the other 3 when they originally released.

I needed to take a break from Ezio's story!

I found Revelations main story to be by far the easiest (and shortest)of the bunch though.

I've got 3 on the way nice and cheap which I plan to go through before 4 comes out, assuming GTA V doesn't get in the way...it more than likely will though!!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    Am i the only one who didnt find Rev and Bro extremely boring? Nothing too good but i managed to finish it easily...

PSN ID
    LoveSpuds
    That seems like a lot of effort to go back to back with these games - your a more determined fellow than I, for sure.

I loved the historical period and the character in AC1 the most, there is something about the medieval period that I find extremely interesting.

Assassins Creed 2 was my favorite of the games as I think it had the best gameplay. I did enjoy AC3 but like everyone else, I found Connor to be an insufferable arse, particularly how he was a $#@! to Achilles after all that Achilles had done for him - I always like to play as a nice guy where possible

I think they are a fab series of games, I have played and enjoyed them all and cannot wait to play AC4, I just hope I have the will power to hang on and pick it up on PS4 in November.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I don't really understand why people say AC3 is the weakest in the series, even weaker than AC1.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Superior Member
    I've just started AC3, the camera when fighting can be extremely annoying, sometimes I've found I can't even see the character because he's blocked by a foe!

Also a couple of times when climbing the camera has gone from being behind to the side and distant which is frustrating...why not just stick with the way it was before, it was fine and didn't need fixing or tweaking.

That said the fighting is pretty easy so far, I went on a killing spree on Boston and wiped out most of the guards just to get used to the fighting style!! It's safe to say, at the beginning at least guns aren't really something to worry about...I expect that will change though!!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    the massive problem with A.C 3 is the history it trys to tell

So So many holes and no answers to fill in the caps and that would hard a history lesson massively

And they continued to miss the history with DLC extras
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I don't really understand why people say AC3 is the weakest in the series, even weaker than AC1.
    My only issue with AC3 was the bugs. It has go to be the buggiest AC yet.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4

PSN

27. Likes claud3 likes this post

Thread Information