Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Will PlayStation Home find a home on PlayStation 4?

http://boompopmedia.com/index/will-p...playstation-4/

Do we actually need HOME, this has come up before

What do you all think
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    I think it would be nice to keep it. I don't use it much but have enjoyed when I have.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    I think R* should team up with Sony and turn home into GTA Online. Lol!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Imo NO - home is useless.
    I don't even have a FB acc.

I don't need a socialnetwork site to keep contact with my friends.

Tapatalkin'

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Yea, they should keep it. It has a large enough fanbase and they've been making plenty of money off of it. Because of the PS4 being much easier to develop for, content on it will come out much more faster compared to the PS3. I'm sure that it being on the PS4 and the popularity of the PS4 that HOME will have a much bigger following.

Master Guru
    Probably not. I thought Home was a good idea when it was launched on the PS3 but it's all but dead to me now. Maybe they can fix it up and bring it back to my attention. We'll see.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Thing is: Those of us who don't use Home couldn't care less if Home goes away. However, those of us that do use it wouldn't be too happy since avid players that go on Home probably spent lots of time and $$$ on their account, so taking it away wouldn't be the best choice. So logically, they'd probably keep it and make it possible to log on both form PS3 or PS4.

8. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Personally, I really don't care if it's on PS4. But there are people that do like it, so it should probably carry over. I wouldn't exactly mind if there was a feature there that I wouldn't use but others would.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Elite Guru
    From what I can tell the technology base it's running on is fairly modular. Essentially if they can port the base player the rest of it needs little to no work at all. Ultimately Sony will only keep it running if it makes sense financially.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Homes main limiting factor as always been RAM on the PS3, Home itself is not coded like a normal game but that of an app. Your main problem with having it on PS4 is the fact how do you benifit from the added RAM and power when as a socail app you still got a good number who access via PS3 what means they wiuld be on able to access the new spaces based on PS4.

This would mean you split the community whats never a good idea because how could user a get to is mate user b if user b is in a new space on PS4 why user a is still on a PS3.

The only way around it would be to stream Home to PS3 users from the cloud but would Sony wish to do that, fact is over the last 12 months i have seen a lot of the Sony Home team move in to other projects or companys and the 3rd party dev companys for the most part have started there own projects not based on Home, this is mainly because Sony as not told them the plans for Home after PS4 launch.

Sony is unlikely to talk about Home right now because to main stream media its bad news.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Here's the solution. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. I honestly think most of the people who diss on Home have never actually logged into it, or at least haven't done so in a while. I think everyone should give Home another try if they haven't been on recently. There's an INSANE amount of content now, the load times have decreased a significant amount, and the games have seen huge improvements.

The problem with Home is that it's something that generally appeals more towards casuals, but hardly any casuals even know about it, let alone the hardcore. I think the majority of home users aren't the type to log in to forums and gaming news sites to express their opinions, so the consensus on Home appears to be generally negative or indifferent. It's a painfully underutilized application.As was mentioned, Home is crippled by the PS3's memory. However, they've recently moved user's inventories to the servers instead of the local HDD. So that leaves Sony with two options if they continue Home:

1. Create a new version for ps4. This would really unlock Home's potential. On top of better visuals and performance, the network would probably perform better, and development would be easier, meaning more content. Due to the increased processing power, they could do more with it. They could (and should) make it easier for people to find it. This would also allow for a vita version without having to do twice the work (via remote play). Unfortunately, this would also split the userbase, which could cripple Home.

2. Port the ps3 version to ps4. You could still see some improvement in performance on ps4.

Either way, if Home comes to ps4, it would be in Sony's best interest to keep it free (not requiring plus). That way it can give those without plus a way to hang out with their friends. It will still make sony money through microtransactions and advertisements. Said advertisements could convince people to buy plus. Heck, they could issue more plus exclusive home content to sweeten the deal. The whole thing is one giant ad for plus!

The best solution is if they could somehow create an improved ps4 version (and make it more well known) with the aforementioned features that could connect to the ps3 Home servers. It would be possible if they designed it from the ground up to work that way, but I'm not so sure they did. Having ps3 home users see a better version of home (with exclusive spaces, games, and other content) on ps4 could convince them to buy the system.

Tell me that Home doesn't embody the "Social" aspect of ps4? Sony needs to make Home more visible. Perhaps link the game's Home space in the Live Tiles? More users means more content and support. I can count on one hand the number of 3rd party games I've played with Home support. It's really cool to have rewards from the games I play that I can decorate my space with that I EARNED, not bought. If more games/developers supported it (and maybe they finally came out with that Trophy room to rope in the hardcore and link it to people's profiles) it could become a staple of ps4.
    Last edited by mini E; 08-27-2013 at 17:43.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Imo NO - home is useless.
    I don't even have a FB acc.

I don't need a socialnetwork site to keep contact with my friends.

Tapatalkin'
    You're so $#@!ing social.

They should keep it, a lot of people are actually playing it. (EDIT: What Mini E said.)

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    I think there should be a option upon first boot: install home, or not. And possibly (un)install whenever you want. If you don't have it installed, you have more room
    For digital games

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
    I think there should be a option upon first boot: install home, or not. And possibly (un)install whenever you want. If you don't have it installed, you have more room
    For digital games
    You can already uninstall Home and reinstall it at any time you want on the PS3, when you uninstall your just left with a Home logo on the XMB so it can be found and reinstalled again easy.

But to me, having seen how many of Sony's Home team as been moved on to other areas it's not looking to good for the PS4 getting it, what personally will be a real shame.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    You're so $#@!ing social.
    Eh was that supposed to be an insult or a compliment?

If people actually still use this crap then by all means keep it.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 08-28-2013 at 08:01.

Friendship is Carrots
    Home is a failure. Yes, it eventually started turning a little profit for Sony, but as a project it's a total flop in meeting anywhere near its ambition and goals. Is the cost of moving it up to the PS4, no doubt needing to make it even flashier and more polished, worth it? I can't say I'm convinced.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    I think they should keep home thousands use it everyday it's an easy way for some people to reach out to other people make friends and connect with their games.

Getting rid of it is not a great plan because if it gets taken away you have nothing like it on any platform and please don't talk about the PC that's an entirely different subject.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Why not add the ability to share your games footage you capture during gameplay on it and you can be the hit of the virtually TOWN
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    All of the Home spaces and areas should be in one open world. No teleporting or loading screens. If you want to fast travel, you can take a monorail or something. It should be like one big futuristic virtual mall where you can see the spaces and shops for every game. Then you would just walk/ride to it, instead of having each space live on its own and require you to use the menu to teleport there.

If they do that (in addition to having Home load instantly upon selecting it), Home would be $#@!ing cool and people would check it out on the reg.
    Last edited by Ixion; 08-28-2013 at 15:30.

21. Likes mini E likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I never played on home much but I think Sony will bring back home and connect with ps3 users, as well as ps4 users.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I say keep it because if we don't have it you'll have whiners complaining that we don't have it. Personally, I will use it exactly one few times than I used Home on PS3, which means I'll never use it, but I remember all the belly-aching and crying until we had it. If kids what to walk around in some alternate universe and spend micro-transactions on $#@! they don't need, then let them do it. It's not going to impact my experience by it being there. Just like making FIFA and Just Dance won't impact my gaming experience as I'll never buy them, nor play them even if I got a free copy.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    There are a lot of adults on HOME, more than you think. lol

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    There are a lot of adults on HOME, more than you think. lol
    grown up children yes
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Just because you most likely don't like it doesn't mean they are children. I could say the same thing to a lot of people on CoD, Battlefield, and killzone.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 08-29-2013 at 13:12.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Just because you most likely don't like it doesn't mean they are children. I could say the same thing to a lot of people on CoD, Battlefield, and killzone.
    Don't mind him, he's got an avatar of Katy Perry and his Nintento (lol) name is tigerwhite. His opinion is invalid.

Thread Information