Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ballmer forced out after $900M Surface RT debacle

Steve Ballmer was forced out of his CEO chair by Microsoft's board of directors, who hit the roof when the company took a $900 million write-off to account for an oversupply of the firm's struggling Surface RT tablet, an analyst argued today.

"He was definitely pushed out by the board," said Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy, in an interview Friday. "They either drove him out, or put him in a situation where he felt he had to leave to save face."

The biggest clue that Ballmer was pushed and didn't leave of his own free will was the 12-month timetable Microsoft said it would use to find a CEO successor. "Typically, a board will be working behind the scenes for a replacement, but they've given themselves 12 months," said Moorhead. "I think this went down very quickly."

Microsoft announced Ballmer's retirement earlier Friday.

Ballmer, who has been CEO since 2000 and at Microsoft since 1980, will remain CEO until his successor is selected. In a statement, the board indicated that could take as long as 12 months. It has drafted a committee to oversee the selection process; co-founder, former CEO and current chairman Bill Gates will serve on the committee.

In his email to Microsoft workers, Ballmer seemed to hint that the retirement was not his idea, but that he was falling on his sword. "This is an emotional and difficult thing for me to do. I take this step in the best interests of the company I love," he wrote.

Later Friday morning, Ballmer told Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet that he had been thinking of retirement for some time -- true, as he'd informally named 2018 as the likely date five years ago -- but that his thinking had "intensified really over the last couple, two, two and a half months."

Moorhead had a different timeline.

"What could have precipitated the quick move?" Moorhead asked, then answered his own question. "It was the $900 million write-down. That caught the attention of the board, and based on Ballmer's over-enthusiastic public commentary on Windows RT and Surface RT, they lost a lot of credibility. So did Ballmer. How can you be that far off what consumers want? Was it that you're not listening to your team? Was it because the team was afraid to give him advice? Was it because the team saw a different reality? Or was it that the team lacked the skill set to anticipate the failure?"

Whatever the reason, it ultimately led to Ballmer being blamed. "The buck stopped with Ballmer," said Moorhead.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ace_RT_debacle
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 08-27-2013 at 00:14.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Not hard to believe. MS hasn't been the powerhouse it used to be for a while now. But it's not going to be easy to topple apple in the tablet market, no matter who is at the helm.

Well, not just apple, there is an over saturation of the tablet market as it is, and a MS own brand tablet just doesn't have the brand name behind it like other hardware makers, it was always going to be a slow burner - Windows Phone is gaining ground, it has only (less than 10% I think) a tiny share of the market but I believe is in third place behind iPhone and Android devices. They just way over estimated how well their own brand tablet would do this soon, and got Windows 8 a bit wrong.
    Last edited by darky89; 08-27-2013 at 01:23.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Almost a billion dollar write-off....yeah.... CEOs lose their jobs on smaller stuff than that. Wow.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Goodness. I was fired from a job for losing ten bucks! lol

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Goodness. I was fired from a job for losing ten bucks! lol
    I hear that if you're a teller at a bank and you miscalculate, lose or even gain more than a dollar than what is supposed to be counted at the end of each day, you lose your job.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I hear that if you're a teller at a bank and you miscalculate, lose or even gain more than a dollar than what is supposed to be counted at the end of each day, you lose your job.
    That definitely wouldn't be a job for me then lol. Mine was about 20 years ago at a McDonalds.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    A new low for Microsoft :'( We need Bill Gates back.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Wow. That is pretty cruel. I remember working at a local retail chain store, there will be some odd miscalculations after each day. But maybe a bank is different?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    hopefully now Windows will get back to where it should.....Normal.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That definitely wouldn't be a job for me then lol. Mine was about 20 years ago at a McDonalds.
    Lol. I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Wow. That is pretty cruel. I remember working at a local retail chain store, there will be some odd miscalculations after each day. But maybe a bank is different?
    It may seem cruel but in a way, it's not. It's the nature of the banking industry. You just have to know that when you're dealing with other peoples' money, you have to be on the money with your math. Anyway, the only reason I know about this at all is because I dated a girl that worked at a branch of what is now PNC Bank and she told me exactly how stringent they are on the books with regards to cash handling, deposits, withdraws, transfers.. you name it. If it's it's more than a penny, you get a verbal warning. If it's more than five cents, you get a written warning. More than ten cents and you get written up for a reprimand. More than fifty cents and it's an automatic one day suspension which means you lose out on a day's pay. And aside from the just being short or over one cent, you only get a finite amount of warnings and suspensions.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information