Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The True Cost of The Elder Scrolls Online

Zemimaxís upcoming 2014 title, The Elder Scrolls Online, has attracted a good deal of attention in the wake of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrimís on-going success. The recent decision to charge a subscription fee to play TESO has, however, received a mixed response.

The subscription fee will be £8.99 per month across all platforms, and the idea behind it is to allow for a more immersive world that a free-to-play model would disrupt. Charging a monthly subscription fee will, according to Zenimax, also enable them to continue releasing new content for The Elder Scrolls Online every 4-6 weeks. - See more at: http://www.tradeindetectives.com/blo....i5rDiAjw.dpuf

£8.99 per month doesnít sound horrendously unreasonable, providing the new content is delivered as promised. The subscription fee, however, is actually only one out of five essential components required to play this game:

1. Internet connection

2. PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription
    3. PS4/Xbox One console
    4. Initial game purchase
    5. Monthly game subscription

So what will it cost to play this game for a year?

The PS Plus/Xbox Live subscription cost is £39.99 annually for current-gen consoles. The respective costs of the next-gen subscriptions have yet to be confirmed, though it seems like a safe bet that they would cost the same or slightly more.

The game itself is the next cost, and though the price has not yet been confirmed for the UK, it will be retailing at $60 in the USA Ė roughly translating to £39.99 Ė though we do tend to get a slightly rawer deal over this side of the pond, so donít be shocked if we see it retailing for £45 or £50 over here.

Those two costs alone bring us up to £79.98 in the best case scenario.

A yearís subscription for TESO will amount to £107.88 at £8.99 per month. That brings you up to £187.86. Stick your monthly internet bill on top of that and youíre going to be around £200 poorer by 2015, and thatís before we factor in the cost of the actual console.
    If you are one of the poor souls planning to buy a console specifically to play this game, your total cost will be £536.86 for the PS4 version, or £616.86 for Xbox One. Plus your internet bill.

This is all before any post-launch deals are taken into account, though The Elder Scrolls Online will certainly be an expensive game if you play it for any significant period of time.

So do you think the game will be worth the price tag, or would you rather wait until The Elder Scrolls 6 is released?
    - See more at: http://www.tradeindetectives.com/blo....i5rDiAjw.dpuf
    http://www.tradeindetectives.com/blo...crolls-online/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Nope.jpg

Forget this noise, won't touch it with a 10ft pole and I hope it bombs all the way down. They'll realize the ship is sinking, make it F2P and all will be well.

Or just cancel it.

Either way, screw them.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Nope.jpg

Forget this noise, won't touch it with a 10ft pole and I hope it bombs all the way down. They'll realize the ship is sinking, make it F2P and all will be well.

Or just cancel it.

Either way, screw them.
    It is going to bomb. The fee on top of that piss poor gameplay. It will be f2p with in a year.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    i really want to play this because i love the elder scrolls. but that monthly fee can suck it. i never played WoW because of it's fee. the only way i'll pay it is if i get into the beta, i signed up a little while ago, and if i get to play it and absolutely fall in love with the game then it would be worth it, but i doubt that's gonna happen, that's a lot of money to play one game.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The time of the subscription fee has ended, the time of the F2P has come.

*coughs* sorry had to get that LOTR reference in there somewhere.

There's one single quote in there that I'll have to reference:
    The subscription fee will be £8.99 per month across all platforms, and the idea behind it is to allow for a more immersive world that a free-to-play model would disrupt. Charging a monthly subscription fee will, according to Zenimax, also enable them to continue releasing new content for The Elder Scrolls Online every 4-6 weeks
    How about a Buy to play model like Guild Wars then? You still purchase the game but it's free thereafter, if you want to spend more money then go ahead but it takes no effect on the game itself. And they crunch out updates bi-weekly!

6. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    How come FF14 isn't getting the same heat that ESO is getting? It's also sub based. TBH, I don't mind subbing for ONE worthwhile game. It's the cost of a meal a month.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    How come FF14 isn't getting the same heat that ESO is getting? It's also sub based. TBH, I don't mind subbing for ONE worthwhile game. It's the cost of a meal a month.
    Few reasons, on my part at least:
    1. Square Enix can go die.
    2. I love Elder Scrolls.
    3. FF14 was, to my mind, already a spectacular failure and they're scrambling to unf*ck themselves.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Few reasons, on my part at least:
    1. Square Enix can go die.
    2. I love Elder Scrolls.
    3. FF14 was, to my mind, already a spectacular failure and they're scrambling to unf*ck themselves.
    1. Fair enough lol.
    2. Me too.
    3. They have done a pretty good job of unducking themselves. I'm playing it atm and I'm a happy chappy.

I'm really getting into the MMO scene again...transient games don't compare...but whether I'm willing to play two subbed MMOs is something I doubt I'll do...I guess it will come down to which fulfills me the most. The paywall thing...it has its advantages too I think...namely the expectation of better service/content. Bethy have said they'd like to release content every 4-6 weeks which is something you'd probably not get with F2P.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    1. Fair enough lol.
    2. Me too.
    3. They have done a pretty good job of unducking themselves. I'm playing it atm and I'm a happy chappy.

I'm really getting into the MMO scene again...transient games don't compare...but whether I'm willing to play two subbed MMOs is something I doubt I'll do...I guess it will come down to which fulfills me the most. The paywall thing...it has its advantages too I think...namely the expectation of better service/content. Bethy have said they'd like to release content every 4-6 weeks which is something you'd probably not get with F2P.
    Glad you are. I got 90k bombed out lol
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    To play this game you need the following 5 things...

1. Internet connection Well I'll be...
    2. PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription OK
    3. PS4/Xbox One console LMAO
    4. Initial game purchase No $#@!
    5. Monthly game subscription OK

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    1. Internet connection So what? You need that for every game you play online.
    2. PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription I don't think so. Sony's already said you don't need to pay for PS Plus if you play an MMO.
    3. PS4/Xbox One console Duh. Or your PC.
    4. Initial game purchase As with every game.
    5. Monthly game subscription As with every good MMO.
    This really is not that bad and just gets blown up by everyone.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    that article is full of crap and some of the stuff it's adding is stupid. Adding in the cost of the console....WTF. You need a system to play the game on. LOL and that console cost is what really brought it up. Paying for internet, it's not the same thing as paying for the servers and for them to maintain the servers. However, $15 is pretty stupid. There is no reason why it couldn't be $5 a month or something like that. Once they went with $15 it turned out to be pure greed and nothing more and their game will most likely "jackknife" because of it. Bethesda is not a nice company. I won't support this game considering their track record on glitches and the amount of time it takes them to fix it. Even skyrim still has major bugs in it that they still havne't taken care of.

There is a lot of responsibility when it comes to a company releasing an mmorpg and bethesda is certainly not responsible enough to handle it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    I was excited for this game, but I'm a poor, unemployed 16 year old dude, so this kills it for me I'm afraid

Follow me on Twitter: @DaanvMonsjou

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    To play this game you need the following 5 things...

1. Internet connection Well I'll be...
    2. PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription OK
    3. PS4/Xbox One console LMAO
    4. Initial game purchase No $#@!
    5. Monthly game subscription OK
    Yep. I'll add my own take:

1. Internet connection Included in apartment rent. No extra cost for me.
    2. PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription Already have it, but, aren't some subscription games exempt from this?
    3. PS4/Xbox One console Not worth responding to. Shouldn't have even been in the article
    4. Initial game purchase Fair point. $15/month on top of $60--why not just $60, then charge for expansions down the line?
    5. Monthly game subscription -- Contentious issue. I paid $15/mo for WoW for 2.5 years and hardly ever noticed the cost. I spent $19/mo on Netflix and Music Unlimited now and don't really notice that either. Not saying anything about people's financial situation, but sometimes, you kinda forget about automatic stuff like this, even though it does add up.

Elite Guru
    What a terrible article.

I'm still semi-interested in ESO but I won't be a day one purchaser as everything I've seen makes it look mediocre. If it survives player drop-off the first 12 months, I may give it a go.

Methinks it will go the way of SW:ToR.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Way to twist the truth. Terrible article.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Still would never close to that, for online gaming ever
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Nope.jpg

Or just cancel it.

Either way, screw them.
    This, I'm hoping to see it crash and burn, if not turn to free to play.

$#@! subscriptions.

Thread Information