Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Why not get a projector for the same price or less of a 60" inch TV and enjoy gaming on a new level? Im talking 100+ inches. Couple that with an epic HD audio system and you'll find yourself in gaming heaven.
    Not everyone has the room for it. With a projector you will probably need at least a 10 ft throw and a mostly light controlled room. Granted I converted a bedroom into my office/home theater with an led projector, but I will not go back to gaming on a tv after having a home theater in my last house. My little $400 led projector does a nice 100" 720p image so i'm happy. Once the 1080p led projectors come down in price I might upgrade.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    What projector would you recommend?
    The Optoma HD25 (1080p, 3D) is especially good for gaming with low input lag (17ms).

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    The Optoma HD25 (1080p, 3D) is especially good for gaming with low input lag (17ms).
    Pretty expensive

billm0066, which one have you got?

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Pretty expensive

Not nearly as expensive as a high end 60" plasma.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    4K is useless the PS4 only plays moives in 4K not games. plus not cable compnay will ever have 4k tv shows
    Yup... 4k is another marketing ploy to sell tvs. There isn't any content. You won't see a difference.

If you have a light controlled room and a large empty wall. I would go with a projector. Benq w1070 or w1080st is the best bang for the buck! Picture is comparable to lcd tv and you can make it as big as you want! There are some compromises to be made however. Your blacks won't be black as a plasma and you will need an external sound system are the 2 biggest.

I would check out avsforums.com. they have the best info on a/v equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Not everyone has the room for it. With a projector you will probably need at least a 10 ft throw and a mostly light controlled room. Granted I converted a bedroom into my office/home theater with an led projector, but I will not go back to gaming on a tv after having a home theater in my last house. My little $400 led projector does a nice 100" 720p image so i'm happy. Once the 1080p led projectors come down in price I might upgrade.
    Not true. The benq w1080st will throw a 100" image at 6'

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    This was on my final list however my 1st pj was an optimal hd66 and it left a bad taste in my mouth after the dlp chip went bad because of a manufacturing defect after 2 years. At first they refused to fix it. After I upgraded they started a repair program but by then my optoma was +3 yrs old and no longer covered. After being denied at first I sweet talked them into fixing it for free.

If that happened before my upgrade I might have gone with the hd25. Props to their support.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Yup... 4k is another marketing ploy to sell tvs. There isn't any content. You won't see a difference.

If you have a light controlled room and a large empty wall. I would go with a projector. Benq w1070 or w1080st is the best bang for the buck! Picture is comparable to lcd tv and you can make it as big as you want! There are some compromises to be made however. Your blacks won't be black as a plasma and you will need an external sound system are the 2 biggest.

I would check out avsforums.com. they have the best info on a/v equipment.

Heck, you don't even need a light controlled room if you use a Black Diamond screen from Screen Innovations!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran
    The subject line is "TV upgrade to suit PS4" not "Projector upgrade to suit PS4". Projectors are nice but it is derailing the thread and a lot fewer people have the dedicated space for a projector compared to a TV.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    The subject line is "TV upgrade to suit PS4" not "Projector upgrade to suit PS4". Projectors are nice but it is derailing the thread and a lot fewer people have the dedicated space for a projector compared to a TV.
    It's not derailing the thread as a pj is just another form of tv. And if you read the posts you would have learned that you don't need the dedicated space that projectors needed in the past. They are much brighter and have much shorter throw distances than even 2 years ago. Therefore are an acceptable form of a tv in today's market.

11. Likes Wrath , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I dunno if this is technically the right place to post this but here goes anyway.

I'm looking at upgrading my 6 years old Sony Bravia before PS4 releases so I can get the best picture quality and least input lag/refresh rate or whatever it is called.

Anyone know anything about which TV is best suited to gaming these days? (I'm not looking for a monitor, specifically a TV).

I'm gaming on a 40" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p I bought back in early 2007 for my PS3. Games and blu ray still look great, but I would like something a little larger and updated for my PS4. I want a 46" Samsung LED 1080p 120hz HDTV. The two models I've narrowed it down to are the UN46F6300 and the UN46F6400. Both are great choices for movies and gaming from what I've researched. The main differences are that the 6400 is about $1-200 more (depending on where you buy it from) but it supports 3D and has micro dimming. I'm not sure what your budget is, or the size you want, but these are regarded as one of the best in their class for the money and both are under $1,000. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Jarhead; 08-28-2013 at 16:15. Reason: spelling

13. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I'm gaming on a 40" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p I bought back in early 2007 for my PS3. Games and blu ray still look great, but I would like something a little larger and updated for my PS4. I want a 46" Samsung LED 1080p 120hz HDTV. The two models I've narrowed it down to are the UN46F6300 and the UN46F6400. Both are great choices for movies and gaming from what I've researched. The main differences are that the 6400 is about $1-200 more (depending on where you buy it from) but it supports 3D and has micro dimming. I'm not sure what you're budget is, or the size you want, but these are regarded as one of the best in their class for the money and both are under $1,000. Hope it helps.
    Both are excellent choices! If you go with 3d model (I recommend) you will need glasses. I am a huge Samsung fan and have to say that their support is top notch!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Yeah, but size is just optional for me.

Forum Sage
    You're absolutely wrong on that one. If you can control your room lighting a projector can very much rival high end TVs. I suggest you head over to the AVS forums and enlighten yourself. Sure, a Panasonic Plasma may give you better blacks and more dynamic colors but that will soon be forgotten once you see the projector's "screen" size.

And yes, bigger IS better. Once you've experienced a 1080p Blu Ray movie on a 120'' screen you don't want to go back to that 40'' miniature... Better blacks or not.
    Dude, I've been browsing avs since before I was a member here.

And we are talking about console gaming here, not movie watching. And console gaming (mostly mp) can be negatively effected by large screen sizes. Also the characteristics of a good plasma are likely to be more beneficial/appreciated for console gaming.

Also what you are talking about is entirely subjective, I know people that preferred watching blu-rays on their 34 inch sony xbr crt's despite the availability of larger tv's due to its PQ characteristics.

Somebody hasn't seen the price of a Sony SXRD projector which seems to be the projector of choice for a high end setup.

Elite Member
    Pretty expensive

http://www.amazon.com/LG-PB61U-Micro...pr_product_top

I paid $399 from frys and very happy with it. (the one without the tuner is $50 less) It's only 500 lumens but it is bright enough with a mostly light controlled room. It will easily do 120"+ screen and it looks good. Prior to this I have a Mitsu 720p dlp projector and the image is comparable. It turns on in 9 seconds and it turns off in 1 second. No bulbs to replace and it's the size of very small book.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Thanks to all who contributed. Due to the size of my living area I won't be going bigger than 40" unfortunately. I'd love to get a 60" or 70" but it would just look stupid in my house lol

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Not true. The benq w1080st will throw a 100" image at 6'

Of course there are exceptions. My point is not everyone wants to go with a projector due to room limitations. Plus you also need external sound, screen, mount, longer cables, etc... I'm not bashing projectors, because I use one for my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Heck, you don't even need a light controlled room if you use a Black Diamond screen from Screen Innovations!

Too bad the screen is $2,500.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Too bad the screen is $2,500.
    Never said it was cheap! It use to be around $5000 when it first came out so $2500 isn't too bad now! I would have done a projector for my living room using this screen, but the way my living room is laid out I just couldn't make it happen...

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Never said it was cheap! It use to be around $5000 when it first came out so $2500 isn't too bad now! I would have done a projector for my living room using this screen, but the way my living room is laid out I just couldn't make it happen...
    You could do a diy paint on wall and get similar results for less than $100.

And now this thread has become derailed.. He needs about a 40" - 46".. I would suggest a nice plasma if gaming will be its main purpose. I have no idea who makes a nice one tho... anyone???

Last edited by Smokin Joker; 08-29-2013 at 17:47.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

TV upgrade to suit PS4

Thanks to all who contributed. Due to the size of my living area I won't be going bigger than 40" unfortunately. I'd love to get a 60" or 70" but it would just look stupid in my house lol

Anyway as everyone says get a plasma. As for which one, look no further, Panasonic TXP42GT60. It's a reference level TV. In five years time you will still look at it and smile with satisfaction.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Hum... Reading this "In fact, here's a chart that includes almost all of the 2013 TVs we've reviewed so far (and a few we haven't), ranked in ascending order of input lag. The numbers reflect the lowest lag number the TV is capable of, typically achieved in Game mode. Update: The results for the two Samsung TVs were achieved with the "trick" of renaming the inputs to "PC." See the video processing sections of the reviews for details."

I'm wondering if Samsung got rid of Game Mode which was a non-processing image dump with low lag. That's what I've got on my 2yr old 64" Samsung Plasma TV. I don't even use the game mode as the minor difference isn't worth my time to switch, that said, it doesn't require (and actually you CAN'T) use the PC mode to put it in low latency Game mode on my model. I may have to do a manual search to see if this is indeed true on the new TVs or if CNET got it wrong (not that that's ever happened before.)

That said, I'd go for the picture quality of the Samsung plasma over the lower latency listed on the Panasonic any day considering I have no problems gaming w/ FPS's when I'm not even using Game Mode on mine.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Get this one, it's a newer brand 4K set that has pretty good ratings (and the price is nice too!):

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-.../dp/B00DOPGO2G

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

While yeah, you don't need a light controlled room when using a Black Diamond screen, it still pales in comparison to an equivalent sized plasma in either environment IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, you can get very large screens and if you want > 70" then by all means this is the path to take and they even look pretty damn good, but even the best screens at absurd prices w/ a projector are going to fall short when compared to Plasma IMHO. You just need to show them together in the same environment.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I highly recommend 50" + plasma before they go extinct!

Edit: They're the best value/economic choice.
    Last edited by K2D; 08-29-2013 at 20:33.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I highly recommend 50" + plasma before they go extinct!

Edit: They're the best value/economic choice.

Plasma won't go away until there is a superior alternative on the market. If it did, what would all the videophiles buy? Most aren't going to shell out for a sharp elite LCD.

28. Likes K2D , TAZ427 likes this post

Thread Information