Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-PB61U-Micro...pr_product_top

I paid $399 from frys and very happy with it. (the one without the tuner is $50 less) It's only 500 lumens but it is bright enough with a mostly light controlled room. It will easily do 120"+ screen and it looks good. Prior to this I have a Mitsu 720p dlp projector and the image is comparable. It turns on in 9 seconds and it turns off in 1 second. No bulbs to replace and it's the size of very small book.
    What about input lag?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-PB61U-Micro...pr_product_top

I paid $399 from frys and very happy with it. (the one without the tuner is $50 less) It's only 500 lumens but it is bright enough with a mostly light controlled room. It will easily do 120"+ screen and it looks good. Prior to this I have a Mitsu 720p dlp projector and the image is comparable. It turns on in 9 seconds and it turns off in 1 second. No bulbs to replace and it's the size of very small book.
    What about input lag?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Plasma won't go away until there is a superior alternative on the market. If it did, what would all the videophiles buy? Most aren't going to shell out for a sharp elite LCD.
    I will just wait for an 80"+ OLED TV...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I've been waiting for 80" OLED since 2003. It's a decade later and we still aren't there. I'm not 100% certain that OLED will end up usurping Plasma for top dog position. If it does end up being a superior alternative then it will force Plasma out. But that's not in contradiction to his statement.

I haven't taken a good look at OLED recently, so I can't really comment on how it stands up against Plasma today. Both have come leaps and bounds from what they were a decade ago.

Forum Sage
    I don't think they have solved the lifespan issues with OLED displays. There is quite a bit of difference in what is accptible for a smartphone/camera display and that of a monitor/tv.

Hell I was hoping SED/FED tv's coming to the market and they went nowhere.

And then there were other technologies like Sony's crystal LED tech which doesn't seem to be going anywhere as well.

Besides there are really only 2 manufacturers of plasma tv's anymore: Panasonic and Samsung. So they should each be able to maintain a good enough marketshare to continue developing plasma tech and manufacturing/selling plasma tv's.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I don't think they have solved the lifespan issues with OLED displays. There is quite a bit of difference in what is accptible for a smartphone/camera display and that of a monitor/tv.

Hell I was hoping SED/FED tv's coming to the market and they went nowhere.

And then there were other technologies like Sony's crystal LED tech which doesn't seem to be going anywhere as well.

Besides there are really only 2 manufacturers of plasma tv's anymore: Panasonic and Samsung. So they should each be able to maintain a good enough marketshare to continue developing plasma tech and manufacturing/selling plasma tv's.
    wow somebody else in the world that knows what sed/fed tv's are I'm impressed. I was also waiting for these. It would have been cool, the benefits of crt in a flat screen form factor. Oh well plasma still rocks. I'm getting the tc-p65vt60 for the ps4 I'm just going to wait and see if the price drops in the next 3 months until ps4 comes out. I have a pioneer kuro right now but its 50" and i sit 14' away so i need something bigger.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Considering getting a new TV myself for the PS4 but my budget isn't very large. Currently torn between these two(both would be a significant upgrade over my current TV):

Sony KDL50R450A 50-Inch 60Hz 1080p LED HDTV
    Panasonic TC-P50S60 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    What about input lag?
    There is no lag. I use my projector for movies, Starhawk, and a few other games and have zero issues with it.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Considering getting a new TV myself for the PS4 but my budget isn't very large. Currently torn between these two(both would be a significant upgrade over my current TV):

Do you have a Sams Club or Costco near you? I always find great deals on their open box tv's. You pay a lot less, and their return policy is unmatched.

Forum Sage

Plasma every time. Just be aware that the $60 model doesn't do so well in bright rooms (the similarly priced s64 model is the better option there).

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Plasma every time. Just be aware that the $60 model doesn't do so well in bright rooms (the similarly priced s64 model is the better option there).
    I never saw anyone say 'Plasma every time'...

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Well if you are mostly concerned with input lag Sony is king but the particular models in this article only go up to 55". I personaly am going to get the Panasonic tc-p65vt60. It has average input lag but spectacular picture quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...for-input-lag/

if you are in the uk it looks like the equivalent Panasonic model is TX-P65VT65B

Love the SONY for LCD, but, overall, until OLED comes out, Plasma has the the best color reproduction, and while I admire the money your spending, the ST series looks to be a much better bang for the buck option.
    You are getting the better TV though. if you want to spend as much money as possible, there's the Z panels.

I'd advise our thread owner here to investigate the Panasonic ST Plasma series.
    Put it in THX Bright mode, increase saturation a tad (Color) and WOW.

Superior Member

Get the ST. The S series is based on old panels and way to dark.
    ST and S have no relationship, the ST's are phenomenal.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Do you have a Sams Club or Costco near you? I always find great deals on their open box tv's. You pay a lot less, and their return policy is unmatched.
    Unfortunately, it is a decent drive to the nearest Sams Club or Costco from where I live. I may be going on a trip this November so I may check to see if I pass near one during the trip and see what they have. Only problem is if I go on the trip I will have to delay my PS4 order (although I doubt a couple of months wait would bother me).

Light shouldn't be a problem with the way the room is setup (only use a small lamp when the TV is on and with the window placement the sun isn't a problem) and can't seem to find the s64 anywhere. I may just way awhile and see what happens; not in a hurry either way.
    PSN ID:Key2001 3DS FC:1521-2714-7908 Steam ID:jkey2001

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    The STs are phenomenal for movies, not so much for gaming because of above-average input lag.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Drezee1
    I have a Sony Bravia 40" that I'm very content with....all you rich people with money to throw around I salute you good sirs.
    Why wait later when you can do now!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSayian5Goku View Post
    I have a Sony Bravia 40" that I'm very content with....all you rich people with money to throw around I salute you good sirs.
    People who buy a new tv are rich? You realize you can buy a large flat screen tv for a lot less than $1,000 right?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    People who buy a new tv are rich? You realize you can buy a large flat screen tv for a lot less than $1,000 right?
    What is large and what is a lot less?

Forum Sage
    His budget may not allow for that.

Unfortunately, it is a decent drive to the nearest Sams Club or Costco from where I live. I may be going on a trip this November so I may check to see if I pass near one during the trip and see what they have. Only problem is if I go on the trip I will have to delay my PS4 order (although I doubt a couple of months wait would bother me).

Light shouldn't be a problem with the way the room is setup (only use a small lamp when the TV is on and with the window placement the sun isn't a problem) and can't seem to find the s64 anywhere. I may just way awhile and see what happens; not in a hurry either way.
    S64 is usually found in costco.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Love the SONY for LCD, but, overall, until OLED comes out, Plasma has the the best color reproduction, and while I admire the money your spending, the ST series looks to be a much better bang for the buck option.
    You are getting the better TV though. if you want to spend as much money as possible, there's the Z panels.

I'd advise our thread owner here to investigate the Panasonic ST Plasma series.
    Put it in THX Bright mode, increase saturation a tad (Color) and WOW.
    The st input lag is horrible which is fine for some games but not for twitch shooters or fighting games. I did look at the zt but I don't see the benefit. Supposedly in a dark room the vt and zt are indistinguishable and the vt goes brighter than the zt, 35 vs 30 foot lamberts.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    The st input lag is horrible which is fine for some games but not for twitch shooters or fighting games. I did look at the zt but I don't see the benefit. Supposedly in a dark room the vt and zt are indistinguishable and the vt goes brighter than the zt, 35 vs 30 foot lamberts.
    I game on my panny ST all the time. Great TV, but for a strict gaming only TV definitely go lower lag. Its not terrible by far, but is slightly noticeable.

From a picture quality standpoint, its out of this world when calibrated properly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

TV upgrade to suit PS4

TXP42GT60

Here is the review for the 50"
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50gt60-201304052795.htm

/thread

On the move with Tapatalk
    Last edited by MjW; 09-05-2013 at 20:56.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Drezee1
    Well I have bills and family to take cars of and such so I can't splurge on a shiny new 60" 3-D television with VR inputs...so yea all you rich guys out there buying new televisions spending over $1k like it's pocket change I salute you!
    Why wait later when you can do now!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSayian5Goku View Post
    Well I have bills and family to take cars of and such so I can't splurge on a shiny new 60" 3-D television with VR inputs...so yea all you rich guys out there buying new televisions spending over $1k like it's pocket change I salute you!
    They aren't necessarily rich, most people that run around buying stuff like that put it on credit cards and drive themselves into severe debt...not saying every does that, but it is was more common that you think! I make purchases like that now and then, but I budget for it and research the shit out of it before I make the jump, and I have a family with a kid as well so I feel your pain!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Anyone have an opinion on the Sony KDL40W905A

I read that it is one of the better TV's for gaming.

Thread Information