Latest PSU headlines:

Question Warranty on the PS4

Anyone purchasing the extended warranty thru BB/GS and or other stores. I'm not too sure if I should since, Sony is most likely to have a One year warranty. Just wanted to get others opinion.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by damnwrx View Post
    Anyone purchasing the extended warranty thru BB/GS and or other stores. I'm not too sure if I should since, Sony is most likely to have a One year warranty. Just wanted to get others opinion.
    I preordered from GS and if it's not too expensive then I'll get it.

Most people don't care but when I bought my PS3 from BB I also purchased a 2 year extended warranty from them, lucky me had the YLOD after 2 years and a half so both my Sony and BB warranty were no longer useful, I sent my PS3 down to Sony for repair and of course I had to pay for that, they sent me a new one but it was refurbished one with 90 days warranty (3 months). Guess what, 6 months later that new refurbished console also get the YLOD and I'm out of luck because once again I'm no longer covered, so I had to buy a new PS3 slim now. Spent over $2000 on PS3 consoles and repairing only, worst console experience ever so Sony best not be messing up this gen.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I never buy extended warranties, and with the size of the PS4 - not sure if Im being silly - but I kind of trust they got a pretty good cooling system in place.

Though I dont think they are worth it regardless. In my years of buying consoles/electronics the PS3 was the first I ever had die on me. Which was probably my houses faulty external wiring (Even the smallest drop of water would cause a power outage ) and how much dust this place attracts more than anything.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I never buy extended warranties, and with the size of the PS4 - not sure if Im being silly - but I kind of trust they got a pretty good cooling system in place.

Though I dont think they are worth it regardless. In my years of buying consoles/electronics the PS3 was the first I ever had die on me. Which was probably my houses faulty external wiring (Even the smallest drop of water would cause a power outage ) and how much dust this place attracts more than anything.
    Agreed, I never have, and never will buy extented warranties

Thanks for the input! So, I guess no extended warranty for me then. Going to rely on the new cooling system on the PS4. Coz, my PS3 Slim had no issue and bought the warranty for it and had no use for it.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Doesn't EU offer a 3 year reclamation right?

1 year warranty that Sony offers and 2 more years EU is forcing Sony to keep the product working.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    I preordered from GS and if it's not too expensive then I'll get it.

Most people don't care but when I bought my PS3 from BB I also purchased a 2 year extended warranty from them, lucky me had the YLOD after 2 years and a half so both my Sony and BB warranty were no longer useful, I sent my PS3 down to Sony for repair and of course I had to pay for that, they sent me a new one but it was refurbished one with 90 days warranty (3 months). Guess what, 6 months later that new refurbished console also get the YLOD and I'm out of luck because once again I'm no longer covered, so I had to buy a new PS3 slim now. Spent over $2000 on PS3 consoles and repairing only, worst console experience ever so Sony best not be messing up this gen.
    out of curiosity, do you leave discs in the console when not in use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I got burned years ago with extended warranty when I bought PS1 so ever since then I never buy them. IT wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and so were alot of extended warranties back then
    Anyway 16 years later my PS1 still works to this day.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-27-2013 at 20:42.

Forum Sage

Doesn't Sony have its own extended warranty plans? If so, why not just buy the plan straight from the manufacturer i.e., Sony itself? It's just an idea albeit, one predicated on Sony having such a service itself. I'm actually considering purchasing straight from Sony this generation. I'm kinda not keen on buying from third parties much anymore.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    out of curiosity, do you leave discs in the console when not in use?
    Yes I always do, bluray discs are on most of the times, does that affect it? I know the PS3's were faulty because of the cheap thermal paste that wouldn't last too much but I never heard anything about bluray discs so that's why I leave them inside.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Yes I always do, bluray discs are on most of the times, does that affect it? I know the PS3's were faulty because of the cheap thermal paste that wouldn't last too much but I never heard anything about bluray discs so that's why I leave them inside.

Just seems like all my friends that had issues w their consoles, the common denominator they constantly left discs in the console. It's not scientific proof but just an observation of my own accounts and could be way off based of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG44 View Post
    Just seems like all my friends that had issues w their consoles, the common denominator they constantly left discs in the console. It's not scientific proof but just an observation of my own accounts and could be way off based of course.
    I thin the majority of people leave discs in their consoles, I did it with all disc based consoles I ever owned.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Doesn't EU offer a 3 year reclamation right?

1 year warranty that Sony offers and 2 more years EU is forcing Sony to keep the product working.

I'm not sure, but I thought they just forced Sony to have two years of warranty in total.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    I might.

P.S Nice Avatar OP!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    I'm not sure, but I thought they just forced Sony to have two years of warranty in total.
    They forced most electronics to last at least 3 years. Laptops, iPhones, hair clippers, consoles etc. no matter how long the manufacturer warranty is. Directly translated, it's called "reclamation right" here in Sweden.

I used it once to fix an HP laptop with a burned mobo. It had a 1 year warranty, but they fixed it anyway after 2,5 years.

Now they might have forced specific companies to offer longer warranties too.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

16. Likes Flumbooze likes this post
    Master Guru
    No way. I never buy extended warranties on anything. The PS4 will be no different. If it breaks it was meant to break lol. Plus i have faith in Sony's good track record on hardware.

Ultimate Veteran
    iam geting a squre trade warrntey because iam geting it though amazon where iam geting my ps4

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I will get the extend warranty and its 3 years.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Veteran
    Anybody have a clue about the warranty price at GameStop? I know the BB one will be about $150-$200.

Thread Information