Latest PSU headlines:

Master Poster

Switch from Consoles to PC

Anyone else in the same boat?
    I've been a console focused gamer my whole life but this upcoming gen it looks like its going to be PC gaming for the vast majority.

to the point where im thinking of dropping my PS4 launch pre-order because I don't think i'll have the time between the pc games that will be coming out.

it's either PS4 with Killzone and Second Son which I would thoroughly enjoy
    or
    play some backlog(skyrim), endgame The Secret World and get immersed in Firefall, Titanfall, while waiting for Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online (and GTAV to go PC....and Destiny)

I've really already made my mind up but just wondering if anyone else went through that transition away from the norm of console.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i can't speak for others, but the experience on PC is no where near as good. yeah the graphics look better, but there isn't much outside that.

The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted, GOW, there simply isn't much that the PC offers at that level, yeah the indie scene is bigger and they get some AMAZING titles from there (Amnesia:DD?) but they are small bites and rarely last long enough to compete with titles on the consoles.

don't take this as saying i think PC's are crap. that would be totally incorrect.
    im getting a new PC soon for the sole purpose of running Rome II and CoH2.
    (brand new 4770k haswell if if anyone cared to know )

Eschewing the consoles in favour of PC exclusivity will deny you of a wealth of gaming experiences.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 08-28-2013 at 07:01.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes K2D , FireSol , Fenix likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ive always been a console only gamer until 2009 when I finally bought a gaming PC. You can get games really cheap, and make them look really good. Unless your a graphics ***** or love FPS and strategy.. I dont think its anything special. (I find third person games kind of meh with a keyboard and mouse.)

Die hard PC fans will say otherwise though lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    I've really already made my mind up but just wondering if anyone else went through that transition away from the norm of console.
    I did. I originally got my Xbox 360, then a year later my PS3. I loved both, but as time went on I was much more impressed with what could be done on the PC. I saw games like Crysis, which blew away the consoles on a technical level, and I saw how modders made the PC version of Oblivion infinitely better with mods, and I saw other mods like GMod which looked really whacky and fun at the time. My transition over was slow but at this point I'm very much a PC gamer. I may dabble very slightly in the good exclusive here in there on the consoles (basically being uncharted 3 and The Last of Us over the last few years).

If you ever feel the need to you can buy a PS4 years later once it's cheaper and gone through a remodel design, even snag up its really good exclusives when they're in the bargain bins. It's always a good backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i can't speak for others, but the experience on PC is no where near as good. yeah the graphics look better, but there isn't much outside that.

Eschewing the consoles in favour of PC exclusivity will deny you of a wealth of gaming experiences.
    Restraining yourself at all to any single platform will come back to bite you as a gamer. But I have to state that my two years as a primary PC game has completely and utterly blown away all the time before as just a console gamer. The fantastic sales (in the long run I've spent less on my PC than consoles easily), mods, indie scene, access to emulators (epic nostalgia playthroughs galore), better multiplatform experiences, etc, and just all around having a powerful rig to work on things (I write and draw digitally a lot) easily makes up for a few good titles elsewhere. I played Battlefield 3 last night, 64 players, max graphics, and holy crap! That experience alone snaps the consoles over its knees without any mercy.

Of course this is just my opinion. Certainly the PC is a bit lacking in exclusive, dedicated AAA titles. I know some people really snoop for quality exclusive content, and that this can influence their view of it. But for me the benefits totally make up for it still.

Edit: PC gaming also comes with the perk that it lasts. The games I have now won't be dropped once the next-generation starts; I won't need to keep two machines around when I want to play an older game I still enjoy. I can forever carry my gaming library in a single device. I can install Morrowind, which is 11 years old now, and toss a few mods in and have a blast with it. Then afterwards I can go play some of the latest Metro game, or maybe play some Windwaker in 1080p. For me, it poses the glorious traits of convenience and longevity.
    Last edited by Rapture; 08-28-2013 at 07:46.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    I tryed to switch this gen and was dissapointed. There is dozens games on PC, but most of them just meh. And with modern trend on MOBA and MMO, they just not for me, i have GW2,Planetary Annihilation and maybe i try WildStat in future, but all other games i have zero interest in them

Master Poster

was a 360 gamer through almost all of this gen, traded it in for a ps3 when MS had no direction and DRM, played through a lot of ps3 exclusives for cheap. My friend wanted me to try smite and I dabbled in pc games with crysis 3/battlefield and some others, anyways smite lit an interest for this mmo style combat and got The Secret World on steam sale now a few weeks later im around 200 hours in with a cool group of guild members that play daily and im eagerly awaiting ESO,Everquest,wildstar to see how they turn out.

But it feels like theres no looking back now PC is just a better environment to play on whether with a gamepad or mouse/keyboard
    1080/60fps is great, looking to get into that 2560x1600 goodness soon
    started Skyrim and immeditaly threw on around 20 mods through workshop.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I play games to relax...on my sofa, I spend enough time hunched over my keyboard.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I play games to relax...on my sofa, I spend enough time hunched over my keyboard.
    that's how I play pc too, relaxed on my sofa
    wireless keyboard/mouse and a lap tray/desk thing

Superior Member
    I have a PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Even though my PC is fairly capable and will run most new games on high to ultra settings at 1920 x 1080 I still tend to buy my games on the consoles and it will probably stay that way into the new generation.

Forum Sage

before this generation began i was PC gamer but my old desktop was ageing real bad so rather than build a new one i decided to buy a PS3. I had my PS3 from UK launch then bought a 360 about a year after that. About a year after that i wanted to get back into PC gaming after getting annoyed playing games at low resolutions and frame rates. Since buying my PC back in 2009 i haven't bought a single console game and i don't feel like i'm missing out at all.

I don't get as much time as i'd like to play games so when i want to play them i want the best experience I can get.

For me, personally, PC is the only platform you can play on that will give you the best experience. If I play a game I want to play it as the developers envisioned it. I wan't it to never fall bellow 60fps. I want it in 1080p. I want to choose my controls as I see fit. I want to use whichever controller I want. i want to mod my games.

As Rapture has pointed out. Gaming on PC is a different experience. When BF3 came out i went around a friends of mine to play it on the 360. We always spoke about how epic it was having these massive fights on these huge maps but i never saw it on the 360. Oh man when i did, it was laughable. it looked terrible and the battles were tiny Say what you will about graphics not mattering but they do. And you know it.

Even Minecraft... had a few friends playing minecraft on the 360 and they didn't realise how poor of a version MC was on the 360 compared to PC. Without mods it's like a completely different game. The same can be applied to any game on PC. DayZ is arguably one of the best experiences you can have in a FPS game currently. You can mod the balls off of GTA4 and make it in a different game.

All of the games you've had on console where gamers complained about technical issues... those rarely happen on PC (unless the odd example where the devs locked the framerate to 30fps)

With most of my gaming being done with multiplatform titles (remember, i have both a 360 and PS3 so that is out of choice) the only advantage console gaming has for me is that the console is cheaper. But not the games. I've pre-ordered my PS4 but it will only be getting used for the odd exclusive game. my PC will always be king of gaming for me.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I won't switch from consoles to PC. I'll use consoles and PC.

Forum Sage

Yup. Consoles for their exclusives and PC for everything else.

That's how I do it anyway. Fortunately for me all of my friends are PC gamers with decent gaming laptops/desktops so I can always play with them

BBK. Tapatalking.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I don't get as much time as i'd like to play games so when i want to play them i want the best experience I can get.

For me, personally, PC is the only platform you can play on that will give you the best experience. If I play a game I want to play it as the developers envisioned it. I wan't it to never fall bellow 60fps. I want it in 1080p. I want to choose my controls as I see fit. I want to use whichever controller I want. i want to mod my games.
    i won't lie and say graphics have no impact on how a game is presented. it does, i can't imagine TLoU conveying all that it did if the leads were PS2 level poly characters.
    in my opinion however, that only extends as far as is needed by the game. or more precisely, as far as is needed by the artists and game directors.

so if the target of a game is a 720p30 console, they can mould an experience around that limitation.

but likewise, i also don't get that much game time, however, i'd prefer to crash on the couch to TLoU then slogging it out with 63 other guys in Battlefield, but thats just me of course
    thats not to say i don't PC game. i've posted plenty of pics of my PC gaming in the 'PC screenshot thread'. some games are simply better on the PC.

but i've never had that moment where i was PC gaming and thought i would want get people around to watch. when i game on my PC, i lock the room and bar anyone from disturbing me
    this is in contrast to how i game on console, as i said above. i don't watch a lot of TV nowadays, just the BBC in the morning, and local news in the evening. my significantly better half will usually watch tv more then i do, so when i game in the lounge, i'd like to be playing something i think she'd be interested in (which im interested in too of course, no bending over backwards here! ) so that manifests as TLoU, Uncharted, Heavy Rain (this one got me some flak), Valkyria Chronicles etc.

Even Minecraft... had a few friends playing minecraft on the 360 and they didn't realise how poor of a version MC was on the 360 compared to PC. Without mods it's like a completely different game. The same can be applied to any game on PC. DayZ is arguably one of the best experiences you can have in a FPS game currently. You can mod the balls off of GTA4 and make it in a different game.
    oh yes, GTA is one SEXY ASS BEAST with mods!

i'll leave this here for everyone to enjoy over and over again
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

15. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Gaming on PC is a different experience. When BF3 came out i went around a friends of mine to play it on the 360. We always spoke about how epic it was having these massive fights on these huge maps but i never saw it on the 360. Oh man when i did, it was laughable. it looked terrible and the battles were tiny Say what you will about graphics not mattering but they do. And you know it.
    For serious. I remember seeing my cousin play some of its multiplayer on the 360, and it never seemed particularly interesting or eye-catching in any way. I didn't think the difference between that and the PC would be too large, which is why I only tried it last night after owning it for a week. I was totally blown away. Me and at least 15 guys were crammed in an alleyway, pushing our way through towards the flag to take it from the enemy. Smoke and dust whipped through the alley as rain poured sheets over us. People dove for cover, tossing medpacks and ammo crates around and actually working as a team (which I never see on the consoles, honestly). I would get low to the ground and lean out, giving suppressing fire and guys would run out up to the next alcove, advancing. Bullets streamed in the air and rubble was falling hard from above due to wild rocket shots. The whole time the gorgeous graphics and post-processing was giving my eyeballs the loveliest of massages.

It felt like I was playing something totally next-gen. I could never go back, and I bet most console gamers wouldn't either if they tried it too.

17. Likes BBK.. , Fijiandoce likes this post
    Forum Sage

You are right about that Fiji, PC is incredibly anti-social it could explain why i HATE splitscreen!

Rapture.. man... you're little explanation of BF3 has got me properly itching to get home and play some. Everything you said is completely true. There is alot of teamwork on the PC.

Plus custom rule servers. played one match that took about 2 hours once. it was conquest with 2000 tickets

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It felt like I was playing something totally next-gen. I could never go back, and I bet most console gamers wouldn't either if they tried it too.
    Completely agree.
    I completed bf3 on PS3 and decided to buy it for PC once id got my rig setup. It was eye poppingly gorgeous. Not long after I went back to PS3 to clear up some co op trophies and couldn't believe what I saw. The PC graphics literally ruined it for me on consoles because I always new I could be playing it looking 100 times better and that's no exaggeration. For me next gen will be console for exclusives, PC for everything else.

What keeps me with consoles is the exclusives, social aspect and enjoyment playing with mates from work etc and in here.

Elite Guru
    I've been back playing my PC for the last few months, not looking at a console during that time.

As a result, I've cancelled my PS4 pre-order. There's just no point in buying it when I'm enjoying my time so much on the PC. Not to mention my massive Steam backlog that I'm working through.

In other PC news, I've joined the Scrolls (Mojang) beta. Enjoying it so far but man, it's got a bit of a learning curve if you haven't played this kind of game before. Where the hell to start with building a deck!? Kinda out of my depth right now.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    My Playstation and PC compliment each other perfectly. Honestly I've spent I little less time with the PS3 after Big Picture game out, but I'm still pretty excited about PS4. Being able to better keep in touch with my online buddies will means been more active too.

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I am thinking of going back to console gaming and just use my PC for whatever games I have now which are mostly for FPS.
    Sick to death of editing cfg and ini files to remove "mouse acceleration" and having horridly glitchy first week releases with ****ty low FPS graphical glitches and crashes.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-29-2013 at 21:02.

Thread Information