Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Will we get bf4 digital version on the day of release? Was that announced or not?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiCNiGhTMaRe View Post
    Its probably going to be like the current gen PS3, where you can install a large portion of the game to the HDD to improve load times, etc. but not the whole game because you could just rent/borrow/etc and just install and have the game forever, which would be reallly bad for sales of games
    Why not the whole game?!
    Just 1KB file with a licence data could remain on a bluray disk for verification.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Damnt his error 500 carp.

Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    Will we get bf4 digital version on the day of release? Was that announced or not?
    I think every game will have a digital download available on day 1.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-28-2013 at 19:58.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Exactly. That's one of the things I hated about the XBone which is being forced to install games although I'm not longer sure if that's happening but just seems retarded to me as why would I want to buy a physical bluray disc game and install it? If I want to save myself the hassle of handling the disc then I'd be better off buying the digital version.
    Reselling your physical games is a good reason to get them. Letting a friend use it... the list goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Just gime a ps4 model with a 100 disk changer
    I'd buy it! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    But how would that work for the digital versions? If you download the game and have it installed entirely on the hard drive there is no disc stream right?

Normally you have disc + HDD streaming assets when you do a partial install on PS3. With PS4 you'd have only HDD.. Won't that hurt load times?
    No. Compare the disc streaming stuff on U3 vs the digital version of U3. I don't really notice any difference in that regard.

5. Likes Jabjabs wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    pretty sure that $10 upgrade thing was for digital PS4 versions.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Someone should retweet him and ask if we can install and use disc for verification

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    Someone should retweet him and ask if we can install and use disc for verification
    Probably not and if this is the case, it'll just be like PS3.

Why would you buy the disc if you'd just use it for verification?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Probably not and if this is the case, it'll just be like PS3.

Why would you buy the disc if you'd just use it for verification?
    Running a game off the HDD is a lot faster than loading it off the disc, and this would still allow someone to loan the game to a friend, etc.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Exactly as I expected it to be. Cerny not only mentioned the PlayGo feature which enables you to download and start playing w/ only a partial download (which doesn't help the original point of installing to HDD off of BD) but also fully supports the pre-loading of game data sections onto HDD while playing a game so that it's then gets pulled off of HDD instead of off the disc. As mentioned this has been done before by devs on the likes of Uncharted, but it wasn't a standard feature available - devs had to do this themselves. On PS4 it's a standard feature so expect load times to be similar to HDD installs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    If you wanted to install the games, which the ends to them means being not swapping discs, then why don't you just buy the digital version?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    If you wanted to install the games, which the ends to them means being not swapping discs, then why don't you just buy the digital version?
    Getting off your arse to swap games is so last gen.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Getting off your arse to swap games is so last gen.
    Is it officially? lol

Also to clarify, I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good feature, but installing games from disk (being independent of the disc) opens up online DRM implications.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    But how would that work for the digital versions? If you download the game and have it installed entirely on the hard drive there is no disc stream right?

Normally you have disc + HDD streaming assets when you do a partial install on PS3. With PS4 you'd have only HDD.. Won't that hurt load times?
    It been answered already (Disc/Digital comparison), the real thing is most games are usually an either/or situation.

Usually put from the disc or the HDD but almost never at the same time. The rare cases is when it pulls audio but that is very light weight on data usage and shouldn't affect it. Take a look at Uncharted 2/3, it essentially just starts streaming everything to the HDD and then when the engine actually requires the data it is pulled form the HDD exclusively. It's just easier to program in this style.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Can't really do anything with that at this point. Once you're done with it, you can leave it there, or delete it. I'd rather be able to trade the game in, let a friend borrow it, etc.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Is it officially? lol

Also to clarify, I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good feature, but installing games from disk (being independent of the disc) opens up online DRM implications.
    Who says that installing full game from disc = independent from disc?

I wish more of you had experience with x360 where you can install full game to hdd, have great load times, have zero noise (no spinning optical media except during the launch of the game) etc.

And no drm is hurt. If you remove the disc from the tray - game doesnt launch and you can share the game to a friend.

And still you can buy a digital version of the same game.

If PS4 really doesnt allow installing a full game into hdd - well.. this is really a huge leap back.

17. Likes darky89 , F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Who says that installing full game from disc = independent from disc?

I wish more of you had experience with x360 where you can install full game to hdd, have great load times, have zero noise (no spinning optical media except during the launch of the game) etc.

And no drm is hurt. If you remove the disc from the tray - game doesnt launch and you can share the game to a friend.

And still you can buy a digital version of the same game.

If PS4 really doesn't allow installing a full game into hdd - well.. this is really a huge leap back.
    Because the alternative, is already in place, and doesn't add much (read: a good feature, but benefits are minimal to the point where I can take or leave them).

DRM is in place if you can take the disc out - no one said anything about the method you are describing, until you laid it out just then (it wasn't in your OP - therefore, please forgive people if they understand it differently) which led people to believe that: "install = full game install without disc" and not: "install just for some incremental increase in load times".

Ultimate Veteran
    When I had a 360 I installed the games but we needed the dics in the console.it was better,
    But fast forward to ps4 I don't see the need to install a game from disc to hard drive.
    So 500 gigs might be enougj

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'm all for being able to install the full game to a HDD so that it reduces the wear and tear on the br drive.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm all for being able to install the full game to a HDD so that it reduces the wear and tear on the br drive.
    +++
    That's the reason No 3 already.

First two: lag/load time and noise.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Running a game off the HDD is a lot faster than loading it off the disc, and this would still allow someone to loan the game to a friend, etc.
    Do you realise how easy it would be for hackers then?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Do you realise how easy it would be for hackers then?

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    The main reason I install 360 games to HDD is because the drive is too damn noisy in comparison with the PS3. Faster loading is a great plus too.

If the PS4 has a quiet drive and loads faster than the PS3, I'm perfectly fine with it not installing games to the HDD.
    Having said that, implementing the way 360 does it, couldn't really hurt anyone and wouldn't mess with DRM.

Installing but not needing the disc in, is tricky. Wasn't this one of the reasons the XB1 got so much crap? Now we want this for the PS4?
    Last edited by MjW; 08-29-2013 at 10:48.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

25. Likes emmerich wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post

Yes but if that was what concerned you, wouldnt you just buy the digital version? Im going to assume most, if not all, PS4 games will be on the PSN store as well.
    True. But you cant sell them. I usually sell most of my games on ebay when I'm finished with them. Its a good feature, not necessary, but good.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Installing but not needing the disc in, is tricky. Wasn't this one of the reasons the XB1 got so much crap? Now we want this for the PS4?
    No, the reason was that you had to register your copy to your account and had to pay Microsoft if you wanted to sell your game. Now, I don't see any other way of doing this, so your partially right

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    On Xbox One you have / had to install. What I (and others) want is what happens with 360 now. The option to install fully, (disc has to be in drive for verification) to improve load times reduce noise from the disc spinning. I don't see why we can't just have the option. Then everyone is happy. With it being an option you can just install your most played game/s, I tend to have one game installed on my 360 at a time, just whatever I'm playing most at the time. Was very handy with Fallout 3. Loads so much quicker from HDD.

Hopefully load times and noise won't be as much of an issue this gen, but isn't running from HDD always going to be quicker than disc? So, I would like the option.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Thread Information