Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    That's why I may be going fully digital.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I'm not ready for digital only myself. I'm still one of those that likes to have the physical media. Also, the price of older games is always crazy expensive compared to a physical second hand copy.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    I'm not ready for digital only myself. I'm still one of those that likes to have the physical media. Also, the price of older games is always crazy expensive compared to a physical second hand copy.
    Yeah, me too, but now I realise that physical copies, unlike a few years ago, aren't that special anymore. There's no extras, except with CE's.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Yeah, me too, but now I realise that physical copies, unlike a few years ago, aren't that special anymore. There's no extras, except with CE's.
    Uhm, the Disc Copies never were special in this sense - other than versions that may have been GOTY Editions or something like that. Even those they've had digital copies of.

The advantages of Physical Copy has always been
    1.) You have a physical copy that you can sell, lend, trade.
    2.) You can almost always get a 2nd hand version cheaper than digital download version.
    3.) You usually can get a new in box physical copy cheaper than the digital download version - Even on pre-orders, which you usually get incentives such as $5-$10 off future game purchase, etc. from site like Newegg and Amazon.

Disadvantages of the Physical Copy
    1.) Need to stick the game in to play
    2.) May not have in hand on launch day (now paying ahead and it downloading over night on PS4 - or PlayGo downloading part of game and start playing immediately)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    ^And Cross Buy does not work.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSU Live Streamer
    The idea of going digital only is growing on me. I already do it on pc, but thats different...I know I'll always have access to those games. If the company I originally got them from dies, then at least I can pirate it if I'm out of options. On a console that rolls from generation to generation my fear is after a generation or two, those games will get lost in time....servers might go down....console might be abandoned. Then if whatever HDD I've got games on dies, how do I get my games back?

Obviously a lot of what ifs....but when I look back to say, the Sega Dreamcast days....what would have happened had they been digital only back then and your HDD died today with all your games. I'm pretty sure they aren't supporting their servers anymore

Perhaps now with the consoles going into the direction of the cloud, those games will forever be available. I think I'll wait another generation yet and see how things pan out. Still though, If Sony or MS ever said they were leaving the console business one day, those servers would get shutdown....then your library is on borrowed time.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-29-2013 at 23:10.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Think we need more clarification as it goes against what Cerny has said previously about PlayGo.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/24/ps4s...ys-mark-cerny/

That said PlayGo was never properly detailed and the actual functionality may be similar to how Uncharted/GoW/LoU works where it never installs the entire game only portions in a stream like manner which eliminates load times.
    Yeah I m pretty sure this tweet is out of context, there so many advantage to having an HDD.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    360 allows you to install the game but still need the disc to run the game, it does make loading times faster & keeps your lens alive for much longer with lower noise coming from the device.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

PSN ID
    MichSpartan222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Ps4 will still have installs and they will be fairly large this generation as well. That 500gb will be used in good time.
    And you know that how exactly?

Master Guru
    As long as the PS4 is quiet when running a game and the game loads and plays fine whatever. I install all my games on the 360 because i can't stand listening to a jet plane while gaming.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Uhm, the Disc Copies never were special in this sense - other than versions that may have been GOTY Editions or something like that. Even those they've had digital copies of.

The advantages of Physical Copy has always been
    1.) You have a physical copy that you can sell, lend, trade.
    2.) You can almost always get a 2nd hand version cheaper than digital download version.
    3.) You usually can get a new in box physical copy cheaper than the digital download version - Even on pre-orders, which you usually get incentives such as $5-$10 off future game purchase, etc. from site like Newegg and Amazon.

Disadvantages of the Physical Copy
    1.) Need to stick the game in to play
    2.) May not have in hand on launch day (now paying ahead and it downloading over night on PS4 - or PlayGo downloading part of game and start playing immediately)
    They often came with a poster, a map or something else.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Personally, I really do not think it is that big of a deal; Though it could be nice for quicker loading times. I am planning to buy physical disk for multiplat and digital for exclusives anyway.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    They often came with a poster, a map or something else. Sometimes even a comic.
    Uhm... I've got > 80 PS3 games. With the exception of the one Collectors Edition game which I got for $10 cheaper than the retail version was selling for in a closeout, I think only one game - came with anything like that - I think it was Mass Effect II - A short graphic novel on the back story - either that or it was part of the game. I can't really remember but definitely nothing of note.

Unless they're stuffing the EU games w/ this crap and not the NA versions then I have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Master Sage
    Games can be fully installed to the HDD (disc must stay in tray to play)

https://twitter.com/LightningAnders/...46222947311616

Unclear if it is mandatory or an option though.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Uhm... I've got > 80 PS3 games. With the exception of the one Collectors Edition game which I got for $10 cheaper than the retail version was selling for in a closeout, I think only one game - came with anything like that - I think it was Mass Effect II - A short graphic novel on the back story - either that or it was part of the game. I can't really remember but definitely nothing of note.

Unless they're stuffing the EU games w/ this crap and not the NA versions then I have no idea WTF you're talking about.
    Only 1 I cn think of right now is Grand Theft Auto. They always come with a map of the city.
    I remember giving my mate (who had PC version) directions to the nearest spray shop when the $#@! hit the fan.

http://gtamp.com/GTA1/gta1-maps-pc.pdf

Last edited by keefy; 08-30-2013 at 22:26.

Power Member
    damnit why the extra posts all of a sudden?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style

Fallout 3, Skyrim, GTA, TES: IV Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3...

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style

Fallout 3, Skyrim, GTA, TES: IV Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3...

Veteran
    What the hell is this thread about? The OP needs to change the subject line to CONFIRMED: HD INSTALL.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/...n-dualshock-4/
    Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida Confirms That You Can Fully Install Disc Games on the PS4′s Hard Disk, Shares More on DualShock 4
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

20. Likes mynd , Admartian , keefy likes this post
    Power Member
    Cool beans

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    What the hell is this thread about? The OP needs to change the subject line to CONFIRMED: HD INSTALL.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/...n-dualshock-4/
    Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida Confirms That You Can Fully Install Disc Games on the PS4′s Hard Disk, Shares More on DualShock 4
    There needs to be external HDD install support

Veteran
    I got a bet in Vegas that the sale of 1TB 2.5-inch SATA hard drives is going to spike in mid November 2013. They gave me lousy odds though, they said everybody knows that.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    There needs to be external HDD install support
    Is that not an option? I did not know that. I cant imagine with both the other competitors allowing that, Sony wont.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Is that not an option? I did not know that. I cant imagine with both the other competitors allowing that, Sony wont.
    They might (don't think they will), how about ms not allowing people to swap the internal hdd?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Games can be fully installed to the HDD (disc must stay in tray to play)

https://twitter.com/LightningAnders/...46222947311616

Unclear if it is mandatory or an option though.
    Hopefully optional.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Thread Information