PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Guerilla Games on free DLC for Killzone Shadowfall

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Every new home console needs its killer app. Over the past few generations these “must-have” games have been dominated by first person shooters, from Halo and Perfect Dark to Killzone and Resistance. The PS4 will be no different, with Killzone: Shadow Fall representing one of its most impressive and highly anticipated launch titles.

Sony took to Gamescom last week to showcase new multiplayer details for Shadow Fall, highlight how it’s going to change the way Killzone is played online and discuss the plans for free DLC.

Guerrilla announced that DLC maps for Killzone: Shadow Fall will be free for download, with the goals of keeping the community constantly up-to-date, and facilitating that growth. Guerrilla has not announced the cost of other potential DLC, but maps are expected to not cost a single penny. Victor Zuylen, Community Editor at Guerrilla Games posted the following on the official Killzone site:

“To increase longevity even further, we plan to continue support for the title well after launch – and yes, DLC multiplayer maps will be released free of charge to ensure everyone can play.”

Free DLC is out of the norm for Sony’s first party titles. Both PS3 Killzone titles charged for additional map packs. Killzone 3 also gave gamers the option to download multiplayer as a separate entity. This multiplayer download was free to try, but if a player hoped to exceed a rank of Sergeant I they had to pay a fee of $15 to continue to play.

Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 3 was even more aggressive, charging for all aspects of online multiplayer and separating it completely from the main game. Uncharted 3 charged for maps, player skins, and online modes (co-op, arena, adventure). Those who did not buy the game first hand had to pay for a PSN pass, a $10 payment to play the game online.

With the increasing popularity and competition of free-to-play titles, it’s understandable that Sony would choose to let certain DLC go for free. This could also mean that Sony is looking to make extra cash on other elements of DLC.

In a world where DLC cost gamers a collection of arms and legs, this is a breath of fresh air. Killzone: Shadow Fall will allow its fans to “play by ‘their’ own rules” and help to keep their wallets a little fatter while doing so on new locations.

Killzone: Shadow Fall will launch alongside the PS4 on November 15, 2013.
    free maps. Sony and the developers are really millking this excitment.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XtraTrstrL
    I was very happy to hear about this. EA and DICE starting to charge for maps with BF3 was corny. Now Sony first parties are starting to set a new standard. This will be very good for gaming, hopefully this game sells really well. I might even have to get it now, even though I've never been really into KZ. They deserve the support for doing this in the current greedy environment. Not splitting up the community in such games is so important, and I'm glad they are taking notice of that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yep, I have this game preordered so was already looking forward to it but free DLC is icing on the cake.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    I'm getting so excited about this game recently.
    I mean I always was to some extent, but after the MP reveal....I'm hooked!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Nice. GG has my respect, and my money lol.

Forum Sage
    Starhawk also provided multiplayer maps for free. This isn't the first time Sony has done this (it just hasn't been a trend they have followed with every title, which may be changing it looks like.)

Master Guru
    That's the way to do it Guerrilla Games. They know Killzone: Shadow Fall will sell on its own anyways. Such a bad ass franchise. Let the haters hate.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Bioware did this for ME3 for a while. I guess other devs are taking note that winning a gamer's heart is free **** as a thank you for buying the game and continuing to support it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    It could be that the cost of games is going down because of the ease of development factor.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Priced map packs are the worst, it segregates the community.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

12. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    It could be that the cost of games is going down because of the ease of development factor.
    Possibly...

I love that it's easier to develop for. If Sony was churning out quality titles every 2 years on the ps3 then it's definitely going to be a great thing for the ps4. They'll be able to upgrade their engines fast and focus more on the gameplay.

14. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    ***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It should be. Otherwise the AAA industry would go down.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Possibly...

I love that it's easier to develop for. If Sony was churning out quality titles every 2 years on the ps3 then it's definitely going to be a great thing for the ps4. They'll be able to upgrade their engines fast and focus more on the gameplay.
    I think Mark Cerny said that before during the PS1 that developers were able to take a lot of risks on games because of how easy the system was to develop for. He basically said it was the same thing on the PS4. I am actually hoping that we get some FPS (yes I said the word..FPS) games where the community can mod their own maps on the PC and bring them over to the console on their own dedicated servers. Now that would be ground breaking for consoles. That is something that I really liked about playing FPS games on the PC.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think Mark Cerny said that before during the PS1 that developers were able to take a lot of risks on games because of how easy the system was to develop for. He basically said it was the same thing on the PS4. I am actually hoping that we get some FPS (yes I said the word..FPS) games where the community can mod their own maps on the PC and bring them over to the console on their own dedicated servers. Now that would be ground breaking for consoles. That is something that I really liked about playing FPS games on the PC.
    No reason why they cant. UT3 on PS3 had that.

Thread Information