Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I game on playstation and PC. I'd venture a guess I'd be spending roughly $1200-$1500 on a PC build to compete with next gen consoles and still give me longevity past them for a few years. Thats assuming nothing burns out and needs replacing.
    LMAO u don't need $1500 to game at 1080p 30fps on the PC.
    With $1000- $1500 u can game way above next gen console and with higher resolution.

I quoted that price to illustrate the fact its available, and hardcore idiots with more money than sense will buy it solely to brag about their specs. Don't tell me it doesn't happen, because it wasn't long after the release of the Titan that people we're buying duals of them and putting them in their rigs.
    Anyone buying a Quadro to game is going to get laugh at...

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    PC insecurity.
    like I just got that GPU dogg, Damn consoles with generation shifts. I can run those games in 4k@120fps on my 24inch man.....

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Or i can run them just like the consoles hooked up to my TV with a pad playing games better than consoles could even dream of.

I find it funny. Console games are always ready to unite and mock PC gamers because we demand performance out of games and call us elitists (not calling you out, more of an observation) because we won't play games under certain conditions. Yet console gamers are the first to start splitting hairs when games look essentially the same. Look at the way PS4 fans are already talking down on the XBone as if it is massively weaker. And you say PC Gamers are the elitist

if you want a gaming experience that hasn't been compromised there is only one place to play games.

PC Gaming can be very expensive and anyone saying it's cheap is a bit of a liar. Whilst you can build a budget rig and save money, why would you want to do that? Build the best rig that you can actually afford and you'll reap the benefits.

As others have pointed out. When you buy a console your just buying a dumbed down PC (don't take that to heart) that can play games well and do a few others things OKish. When you buy a PC your buying a PC that does everything well and then plays games even better. That is where the premium comes from. I can do my work on a PC. Can you do your work on a PS4? Didn't think so. There's no such thing as a dedicated gaming PC. PC's are multi-use tools and they will always be able to do much more than the consoles. There is a reason they cost more.

For me; i fully expect games to be in 1080p minimum and to never drop bellow 60fps. But that is due to PC gaming spoiling me.

Don't get me wrong. Consoles are great at what they do, they really are. I wouldn't have ordered a PS4 if i didn't think that. But it makes me laugh when console gamers genuinely believe that a £350 all in one box can compete with a GPU that costs almost double that alone.

Anyway. Regardless, if you haven't got a pc that can handle BF4 then the PS4/Xbone will be your only option and i think you'll still enjoy it anyway. You haven't played BF until you've played on big maps with 64players.

3. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Superior Member
    High end gaming is more expensive in absolute terms, and somebody provided a nice price breakdown of that a few posts ago. For certain people who can take advantage of a PC and can tolerate some DIY, there's significantly more value in a PC, no question.

In addition to cutting edge visuals you've got the best internet browsing experience, ability to play any media format, backwards compatibility all the way back to the DOS gaming days, emulators, ability to stream all your content to any of your other devices (Plex), ability to stream content and share the screens of your other devices to the screen attached to your HTPC/gaming pc (airplay for windows), mods, large scale multiplayer (MMORPGs), robust in-game chat options, access to a huge variety of digital distribution channels (Steam, iTunes, etc.), all my games can be installed in my HDD, faster loading times, no fiddling with physical media, screenshot abilities (fraps), video capture abilities (fraps), robust multitasking, the list goes on and on.

Again, the absolute costs are more, I think. The GPU in my main HTPC cost $1000! But I'm able and willing to pay that much and the value I get out of it far and away exceeds the value I've gotten out of either my PS3 or my 360. I appreciate the consoles, and own them for their exclusives, but apart from those exclusives, the vast majority of my family's media consumption is through our HTPC/gaming PCs. As I said, if you can afford it and are willing to tolerate some DIY stuff, the value proposition is at an entirely different level over and above anything you can get on a console, and that's likely to continue to hold true.

The consoles have a valuable place. They're the least expensive way to get an easy and really good media experience.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Overseer
    Console gaming is cheaper for me because I generally only buy new ones that are MP, and buy SP used. like bargain bin. Then I sell them later on for about the same price (except MP of course). I don't think I spend more than a $100-$200 per year.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    considering you already have a monitor and stuff that you can recycle. You can make a really good gaming rig for around $800. That is if you are going AMD with a radeon GPU rather 7870 which is still pumping enough at this point of time. After that just for a GPU should only cost you $200 - $250 if you are going to buy the next best card to keep up with next gen gaming.

The problem here though is that for a few years after 2007, PC tech was changing once to twice a year at a fast pace. A lot of first time PC gamers started getting confused. a lot of PC gamers got "rimmed" that bought a PC with PCIe 1.0, not much time past and than 2.0, then 3.0. even though 3.0 is quite pointless at the moment, it still gets overbearing. So from 2006 or 07 till around 2011, PC tech was certainly a cluster.

That isn't so much the case right now. AMD was smart to hold off, which in turn slowed down the GPU market and rightfully so since their cards are still keeping up with current games very well. no need for a new GPU quite yet.

Realistically if you are a first time PC gamer, it will in fact cost more than console gaming. After that your PC gaming should cost about the same as console gaming.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    The problem here though is that for a few years after 2007, PC tech was changing once to twice a year at a fast pace. A lot of first time PC gamers started getting confused. a lot of PC gamers got "rimmed" that bought a PC with PCIe 1.0, not much time past and than 2.0, then 3.0. even though 3.0 is quite pointless at the moment, it still gets overbearing. So from 2006 or 07 till around 2011, PC tech was certainly a cluster.

That isn't so much the case right now. AMD was smart to hold off, which in turn slowed down the GPU market and rightfully so since their cards are still keeping up with current games very well. no need for a new GPU quite yet.

Realistically if you are a first time PC gamer, it will in fact cost more than console gaming. After that your PC gaming should cost about the same as console gaming.
    After 2007 also coincides with the current gen of consoles being fully launched and bringing the base line of game hardware up considerably. We could see a similar thing happen again in the next few years where games push computer specs forward for PC. 4+ threads for CPU utilisation, strong GPGPU performance and maybe even a move to the hUMA system that AMD is also aiming at the PC market. Not to mention base RAM requirements are going to force PC games to go 64bit only.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Or i can run them just like the consoles hooked up to my TV with a pad playing games better than consoles could even dream of.

I find it funny. Console games are always ready to unite and mock PC gamers because we demand performance out of games and call us elitists (not calling you out, more of an observation) because we won't play games under certain conditions. Yet console gamers are the first to start splitting hairs when games look essentially the same. Look at the way PS4 fans are already talking down on the XBone as if it is massively weaker. And you say PC Gamers are the elitist

if you want a gaming experience that hasn't been compromised there is only one place to play games.

PC Gaming can be very expensive and anyone saying it's cheap is a bit of a liar. Whilst you can build a budget rig and save money, why would you want to do that? Build the best rig that you can actually afford and you'll reap the benefits.

As others have pointed out. When you buy a console your just buying a dumbed down PC (don't take that to heart) that can play games well and do a few others things OKish. When you buy a PC your buying a PC that does everything well and then plays games even better. That is where the premium comes from. I can do my work on a PC. Can you do your work on a PS4? Didn't think so. There's no such thing as a dedicated gaming PC. PC's are multi-use tools and they will always be able to do much more than the consoles. There is a reason they cost more.

For me; i fully expect games to be in 1080p minimum and to never drop bellow 60fps. But that is due to PC gaming spoiling me.

Don't get me wrong. Consoles are great at what they do, they really are. I wouldn't have ordered a PS4 if i didn't think that. But it makes me laugh when console gamers genuinely believe that a £350 all in one box can compete with a GPU that costs almost double that alone.

Anyway. Regardless, if you haven't got a pc that can handle BF4 then the PS4/Xbone will be your only option and i think you'll still enjoy it anyway. You haven't played BF until you've played on big maps with 64players.
    I see consoles as what they are, machines designed to play games
    I see PC as computers with that can run games if ya have the right set up
    I don't see them as a gaming platform
    Car tuners stick their nose up to Ferrari owners because they've modded the $#@! out of their Skyline
    Same sorta thing really.
    But I am a console gamer from the 80-90's and as anyone from that era knows PC gamers and Console Gamers are very different.
    Now I know the nextgen consoles aren't gonna out benchmark a high-end gaming rig, not for that price
    But what they will do is bring the next generation of games and graphics that'll actually use that power in those rigs.
    But anyone thinking they'll be able to run 3-4 wave of nextgen games as good as the consoles on their current set-up are delusional, yes The CPU is more powerful, yes the GPU is twice-three time more powerful but those games will require a lot more powerful specs on PC then they will on consoles, due to it being a PC
    And I have a old Zeus Storm gaming desktop, technically it should run circles round the PS3, which at first games did look sharper but it don't hold up now against the 7 year old console.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by TGO; 09-03-2013 at 14:28.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

PSU Live Streamer
    @Rapture

Once you start factoring games into your price comparison, things start to get sketchy. Now before PC gamers in this thread jump down my throat for what I'm about to say (regardless of the fact I also am a pc gamer), you gotta be mindful of your game purchase comparisons.

I'll start by saying, yes in the end PC game prices are better in the long run by far. Not going to deny it, never have, never will. If this wasn't the case, then some console owners considering going digital only this year wouldn't be saying they would like the digital pricing to be lower.

However you gotta be careful when comparing day1 full price retail console games, to year+ old game bundles that sell on the pc for a fraction of the cost. No, consoles may never see a day where they get 8 games for a buck. I'm not saying thats not a deal. But just because you can get aged games for a steal if you wait long enough doesn't mean all your day1 game prices are all that different from console. Some are yes, sometimes you get day1 pricing thats $10 or $20 different to console....depending on where you look. But aged games are aged games, and prices drop for both platforms. Those $60 uncharteds when you bought them aren't $60 now.

Too many people walk into pc gaming for the first time and are mind blown by steam sales, buy up bundle after bundle because of the deals, then never play the games they got. While this may not be the case for Rapture specifically, as his steam collection shows only 14 games. I've seen many pc gamers brag about a steam collection that "saved them tons of money" that they never play. I've seen collections that reach a thousand titles for only a few hundred spent. They are so proud of their savings, but then you look at their time played and theres maybe 6 games that they ever really play to make the money spent worth it, and those happen to be the titles that just arrived that they paid full price for. Steam collections are becoming the pc gamer equivalent of a console gamers trophy shelf of retail games...a symbol of pride.

Then you want to throw a real monkey wrench into the price comparison and you factor something like PS+ into the mix. There are free games found there day1 of subscribing. There are discounts there. And in some cases age is not a factor. The Bureau just came out at the end of August and I already got it for free on PS+.

Once again, I will state that yes pc game prices are hard to match. But if you want to compare you'll want to do so with at least a bit of fairness.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-03-2013 at 14:50.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Friendship is Carrots
    I clearly stated this was my personal experience. Beyond that I stated that there's many variables that can influence the comparison between the two. How can I be any more fair than that? I cannot.

Actually, I get many games for amazingly cheap prices even just a couple of months after their release. Check GreenManGaming, GoG, Amazon, Steam, etc and you can find deals. I got Deus Ex: Human Revolutions for 12$ only three or four months after its release, for example. It doesn't matter if some of my purchases are older games either, because they're still a legitimate part of gaming on the PC. The PC is capable of that whereas consoles are not; bought games are all pretty well within this current generation timeline anyway.

And 14 games? No no no. That's my recently played. I have 103 games on there. If you do the math, that comes to each game costing me 2.81$ a piece on average. Wow! Now, some are from Humble Bundles or gifts from friends, but even if I were exceptionally generous and doubled or even tripled the average price it'd still be amazingly cheap. Can I ever get 103 games on the PS3 or 360 at such a bargain? As I've stated, in the long run PC gaming can save you a lot of money for the value you ultimately get. You and others may disagree, but I've demonstrated otherwise.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 09-03-2013 at 15:05.

Forum Sage
    I bought MW3 on release date for £14 on PC.

Splinter Cell Blacklist £17.50 vs £37 on PS3/360 Source

CoD Ghosts £33

BF4 £35

Day one games on PC are much cheaper. Considering BF4 and CoD currently have a high price of £49 each.
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-03-2013 at 15:13.

PSU Live Streamer
    @Rapture
    My bad on the 14 game quote, I was checking the list off my phone and didn't realize I was viewing the recent only list. At least you look to have played the vast majority of that list of yours...I can't fault ya for that.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-03-2013 at 15:23.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Overseer
    PC games are cheaper but not technically. I buy games at around 7-12 mark and sell them for about the same more or less. I'm paying about 5 bucks considering shipping. i just don't have time to play so much and that helps me out because i get to buy like 5-6 games at a time for less than 50 bucks. and then i end up selling them for around 35-40. you can't resell on PC.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Who does that? If your CPU is bottlenecking your new GPU then your PC as a whole is either too old or you didn't get a good enough CPU from the start. The fault sits on the builder here. Everyone knows a long-lasting CPU is the key component of a gaming rig.
    Erm because he is talking about upgrading a PC relative to a console cycle. Which is anything up to 8 years long. A good gaming CPU like an i5 will last you about 5 years tops before you really ought to upgrade it since it's holding you back

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    PC games are cheaper but not technically. I buy games at around 7-12 mark and sell them for about the same more or less. I'm paying about 5 bucks considering shipping. i just don't have time to play so much and that helps me out because i get to buy like 5-6 games at a time for less than 50 bucks. and then i end up selling them for around 35-40. you can't resell on PC.
    Not a problem for me. I never trade in games due to me not being able to stomach them bending me over the counter. Plus, i never know when I might want to play a game

Forum Overseer
    Not a problem for me. I never trade in games due to me not being able to stomach them bending me over the counter. Plus, i never know when I might want to play a game
    Well, I certainly understand, I know most people keep their games so it doesn't affect them.

For me, I can't stand keeping games that are going down in value and I'm not playing them. I generally know which games I'll come back to. I have only had to buy a couple of older games so far.

Also I don't trade my games in, I sell them on ebay much more returns.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    After 2007 also coincides with the current gen of consoles being fully launched and bringing the base line of game hardware up considerably. We could see a similar thing happen again in the next few years where games push computer specs forward for PC. 4+ threads for CPU utilisation, strong GPGPU performance and maybe even a move to the hUMA system that AMD is also aiming at the PC market. Not to mention base RAM requirements are going to force PC games to go 64bit only.
    If PC tech rapidly increases like it did before, PC gaming will definitely be more expensive if you are trying to keep up with the current games. That would mean a new motherboard, new ram (DDR4?), new CPU and hopefully you can save some money by using your previous CPU case, PSU, DVD drive, and whatever else. That would at least make it alittle cheaper.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Man this game makes me want to upgrade my laptop to a bad ass desktop, but unfortunately I can't afford it.
    I'm lucky to even have a 680 to play games on which so far has done me quite well.
    But these next gen games are gonna kill it. I'll be lucky to play them on med.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Man this game makes me want to upgrade my laptop to a bad ass desktop, but unfortunately I can't afford it.
    I'm lucky to even have a 680 to play games on which so far has done me quite well.
    But these next gen games are gonna kill it. I'll be lucky to play them on med.
    ew please don't play it on a laptop. unelss it's like 15 inches at least.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    ew please don't play it on a laptop. unelss it's like 15 inches at least.
    I play games through a monitor unless I'm traveling.
    I'm actually impressed with this laptop. It's an MSI gt60 15 inch. I would have got the 17in but I figured I got the laptop to be portable and I can always use a monitor like I am, so the 15in worked out quite well.
    I won't be running BF4 on it though, I'm sure it wouldn't like it. Lol!

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    I never knew it was possible to buy console games for $7-$12. The benefits of not living in America.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I'm actually impressed with this laptop. It's an MSI gt60 15 inch. I would have got the 17in but I figured I got the laptop to be portable and I can always use a monitor like I am, so the 15in worked out quite well.

Yea, one of my friends has one of those but a cheaper model. Still costed him about $1200 or so but since he can bring it anywhere and can also use the mods for skyrim and that PC runs it just fine. Great gaming laptop imo. I use to hate gaming laptops because well, they just never met the performance to power ratio that desktops have. However, these MSI tops are freakin nice for gaming.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I bought MW3 on release date for £14 on PC.

Splinter Cell Blacklist £17.50 vs £37 on PS3/360 Source

CoD Ghosts £33

BF4 £35

Day one games on PC are much cheaper. Considering BF4 and CoD currently have a high price of £49 each.
    Never Knew this CJS keys is a UK site I always thought it was a foreign site, you seen the founder of the site? He looks about 20 at most. Must be raking it in now.

Well, I certainly understand, I know most people keep their games so it doesn't affect them.

For me, I can't stand keeping games that are going down in value and I'm not playing them. I generally know which games I'll come back to. I have only had to buy a couple of older games so far.

Also I don't trade my games in, I sell them on ebay much more returns.
    You sound more like a trader/collector than a gamer.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-04-2013 at 02:14.

Forum Overseer
    ah, makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    I never knew it was possible to buy console games for $7-$12. The benefits of not living in America.
    I live in 'murica. All you gotta do is go on amazon once in a while and see which games went down in price. Generally you can find 1-2 year old games for about $10-$15. $7 is when you go smart and buy it from one amazon vendor, so your shipping is fixed.

This works really well for me because I end up skipping a lot of awesome games that I otherwise would've bought for higher prices if i had more time for myself. I have a very busy life and generally I only get to browse these forums from work.

Look here:
    e.g. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...&rnid=14210751

i buy from EZCORP a lot, their discs are almost always in perfect condition but cases are usually busted up or old. I don't care, I still play the games. Especially if the price is really low. I've seen games at $1-$3 at times. You can easily rack up about 10 (AWESOME) games for about $50 or less.

All you do is search for a game that you might like, look at what EZCORP is selling the game for, add it to your cart and you don't get charged extra for shipping, it's fixed. Their games are low priced because they're designed to be bought separately (if you just bought one game from them, it's about $5+ shipping, which makes it the same price as other used games) but if you combine your games, you get them for about 60% of the price.

lol I know you guys must be like, damn this dude's cheap. You're probably right but I'm also smart Not paying high price for something I don't value much or just don't have time for. I'm primarily an online gamer and I buy tons of expensive electronics and I don't cheap out on quality. I like the ability to have money for anything I ever want (except a house/car lol but that will be done soon) and I can only do this because I'm never out on money, never paid interest on CCs in my life. No loans.

I just play it safe and smart. I sell my games that I don't play. Then if I still feel like I want them, I just buy them when they're at $10. They won't go below that, rarely they will. and if they do go far below, they're probably $#@! to begin with and you shouldn't be playing $#@! games.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You sound more like a trader/collector than a gamer.
    Hmm, you're right but I don't collect games at all, just like things minimal. Also I never play more than...2 games at any given time. Mostly just one. Online.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    High end gaming is more expensive in absolute terms, and somebody provided a nice price breakdown of that a few posts ago. For certain people who can take advantage of a PC and can tolerate some DIY, there's significantly more value in a PC, no question.

In addition to cutting edge visuals you've got the best internet browsing experience, ability to play any media format, backwards compatibility all the way back to the DOS gaming days, emulators, ability to stream all your content to any of your other devices (Plex), ability to stream content and share the screens of your other devices to the screen attached to your HTPC/gaming pc (airplay for windows), mods, large scale multiplayer (MMORPGs), robust in-game chat options, access to a huge variety of digital distribution channels (Steam, iTunes, etc.), all my games can be installed in my HDD, faster loading times, no fiddling with physical media, screenshot abilities (fraps), video capture abilities (fraps), robust multitasking, the list goes on and on.

Again, the absolute costs are more, I think. The GPU in my main HTPC cost $1000! But I'm able and willing to pay that much and the value I get out of it far and away exceeds the value I've gotten out of either my PS3 or my 360. I appreciate the consoles, and own them for their exclusives, but apart from those exclusives, the vast majority of my family's media consumption is through our HTPC/gaming PCs. As I said, if you can afford it and are willing to tolerate some DIY stuff, the value proposition is at an entirely different level over and above anything you can get on a console, and that's likely to continue to hold true.

The consoles have a valuable place. They're the least expensive way to get an easy and really good media experience.
    Not only do I agree with you here but the DIY part is my favorite. Especially building and upgrading! Sell the old and in with the new. A smart PC gamer can have the best experience possible 100% of the time.

They're all fire and forget. If you're not into building and tinkering then consoles might just be for you. Man, I love overclocking and modding my glorified console to death. It's fun for me.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Battlefield 4 on PS4 comparable to medium settings on PC

Lots of great info in here but starting to worry if my PC will be capable to run ultra for BF4. It runs BF3 on ultra with ease at roughly 80fps so unsure if a upgrade would be needed. (1920*1080)

Thread Information