Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Battlefield 4 on PS4 comparable to medium settings on PC

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    just so people know, Jackfrags runs an overclocked i7 3770k with a GTX 680 i believe. don't get butt hurt over the article.

being compared to half that is still a decent benchmark, though naturally, i'd imagine the final code will look and perform better the what was on show.

also, Jackfrags plays on low settings (on his beastly rig) so he really doesn't care about the GFX much
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It's going to look better than medium settings lol, that's a very uneducated guess right there. Because if true then only 1% of the PC community will be playing at over medium settings, even on single player. I wonder how likely that is....... Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    also, Jackfrags plays on low settings (on his beastly rig) so he really doesn't care about the GFX much
    Exactly. All these youtubers at least play on low settings with no v-sync and the game looks like arse. But nobody ever mentions that

PSU Live Streamer
    I hate when people compare a console to pc without providing the specs of the pc they are comparing it to. You can't take a closed ecosystem that has a static pricing of $400 and compare it to an open ecosystem that has interchangeable components with pricing that can range into the thousands. Comparing electronics priced in the hundreds to ones priced in the thousands is apples to oranges.

edit:
    seems Fiji beat me to the post
    Ok so I priced out those 2 components on my local pc shop. Thats nearly $1k for just those alone.
    Last edited by shepard; 08-29-2013 at 03:01.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I hate when people compare a console to pc without providing the specs of the pc they are comparing it to. You can't take a closed ecosystem that has a static pricing of $400 and compare it to an open ecosystem that has interchangeable components with pricing that can range into the thousands. Comparing electronics priced in the hundreds to ones priced in the thousands is apples to oranges.

edit:
    seems Fiji beat me to the post
    Ok so I priced out those 2 components on my local pc shop. Thats nearly $1k for just those alone.
    I do too, we get it already, console games will never have better graphics than PC gaming. Sheesh. Hardcore PC gamers are annoying lol.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    I do too, we get it already, console games will never have better graphics than PC gaming. Sheesh. Hardcore PC gamers are annoying lol.
    Lol!

Master Guru
    So the PS4 is a medium level PC with games that are more fun to play. That's good enough for me. Count me in.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    So the PS4 is a medium level PC with games that are more fun to play. That's good enough for me. Count me in.
    Exactly how I see it too lol

Friendship is Carrots
    Keep in mind this is also a split-gen title that's also designed for multiplatform hardware. Exclusives will be capable of squeezing more from the system, and things will generally improve as the console ages and developers optimize their work further. Bouncing off of what Fiji said, I imagine it'll be closer to a mix of med-high settings comparably once finished. But I have to wonder what that really looks like; something like the PC version of BF3 at ultra?

Veteran
    Isn't this based on what was already posted about Jackfrags debunked tweets?

Elite Guru
    For multiplatform games this is about what I expected we would get. Entirely true or not in the case is debatable but it's not an outlandish claim.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I don't play consoles for multi-platform games though. I play them for exclusives. Always have.

I have my i7 3770k and gtx 670 for multi-platform :D

Btw, some ppl are speculating that he's refering to the PS3 version, and not the PS4 version.
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 08-29-2013 at 10:18.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Btw, some ppl are speculating that he's refering to the PS3 version, and not the PS4 version.
    Considering the console version of BF3 looks like the PC version on low-medium, I very much doubt that. With how good BF4 looks there's no way he's referring to the PS3 version.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    We know that very good. EA or any other developers will never advantage from the console and always will look for short cut.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Super Elite

I love it. You constantly see consoles compared "to PC" as though PC is a closed platform that can be compared to consoles. What they really mean is that they're comparing consoles to .00000000000001% of PC's that have super high specs and cost a lot of money. In 7 years from now when PS4 is still putting out games that look great but not as good as PC and PC owners have gone through 3 GPU's and purchased a whole new "rig" then you can tell me how console compares "to PC".

I can see articles like this actually convincing the more casual gamer that when they go to buy a shooter that they should buy it for PC because OBVIOUSLY their PC from 2007 running Vista with 1GB of memory is going to outclass the PS4. I agree with those here saying, provide the specs of the PC. In fact I'll take it further, provide the specs or don't write the article in the first place.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    What they really mean is that they're comparing consoles to .00000000000001% of PC's that have super high specs and cost a lot of money. In 7 years from now when PS4 is still putting out games that look great but not as good as PC and PC owners have gone through 3 GPU's and purchased a whole new "rig" then you can tell me how console compares "to PC".
    I've spent less money gaming on the PC than I have the consoles. I built my current computer over two years ago, and it'll still be competing with the next-generation consoles, if not outright outperforming them at times. I'm not even a PC enthusiast. You're describing a few small sect of gamers, ones who demand the absolute best of their PC and have plenty of spare income. The guys who buy the latest badass GPU so they can run Crysis 3 on a triple-monitor setup at a stable 60fps.

And post the specs? What specs? They're comparing the visuals to the PC version only. This isn't a benchmark comparison.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I've spent less money gaming on the PC than I have the consoles. I built my current computer over two years ago, and it'll still be competing with the next-generation consoles, if not outright outperforming them at times. I'm not even a PC enthusiast. You're describing a few small sect of gamers, ones who demand the absolute best of their PC and have plenty of spare income. The guys who buy the latest badass GPU so they can run Crysis 3 on a triple-monitor setup at a stable 60fps.

And post the specs? What specs? They're comparing the visuals to the PC version only. This isn't a benchmark comparison.
    You built your PC 2 years ago. Check your PC that was from 2005 when the Xbox 360 launched and see if it can run let say...Skyrim or The Witcher 2.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The thing about PC is the devs stop supporting hardware after a certain point. Bioshock is shader model 3 in DX9 mode so my old X850 card I bought in 2005 couldn't run it.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-29-2013 at 14:09.

Friendship is Carrots
    You built your PC 2 years ago. Check your PC that was from 2005 when the Xbox 360 launched and see if it can run let say...Skyrim or The Witcher 2.
    That's because the games on the PC continue looking better in an iterative process, the consoles don't. It's not the same scenario. Of course a PC from 2005 wouldn't (at least not beyond low settings and 30fps) run those, but that's also because those games look and play much, much better on the PC than the consoles. Not to mention graphics card have come a long, long way since 2005.

Power Member
    I love it. You constantly see consoles compared "to PC" as though PC is a closed platform that can be compared to consoles. What they really mean is that they're comparing consoles to .00000000000001% of PC's that have super high specs and cost a lot of money. In 7 years from now when PS4 is still putting out games that look great but not as good as PC and PC owners have gone through 3 GPU's and purchased a whole new "rig" then you can tell me how console compares "to PC".

I can see articles like this actually convincing the more casual gamer that when they go to buy a shooter that they should buy it for PC because OBVIOUSLY their PC from 2007 running Vista with 1GB of memory is going to outclass the PS4. I agree with those here saying, provide the specs of the PC. In fact I'll take it further, provide the specs or don't write the article in the first place.
    Specs do not matter. It will look the same on the medium/high setting regardless of how powerful the GPU and CPU are the difference is frame rates.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Specs do not matter. It will look the same on the medium/high setting regardless of how powerful the GPU and CPU are the difference is frame rates.
    Are you trolling or are you serious? Because this comment makes less than no sense...

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Are you trolling or are you serious? Because this comment makes less than no sense...

GTX 780 doesn't make the graphics look any better than a GTX 460 at the same settings.
    GTX 780 will have higher frame rate.

The impression from peoples posts I get from this thread so far is the higher the specs of the computer the better the game will look.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-29-2013 at 14:42.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Don't let them reel you in. Everyone knows PC gamers buy 3 GPU's each year. Cause as everyone knows as soon as a new GPU is released the older model magically turns to $#@!. Look at the piece of crap GTX680. Barely useful for a paperweight now.

So what if the game is only on medium settings. It's the gameplay that matters. At least you console only gamers can now finally experience what battlefield is about. Big ass battles!

BBK. Tapatalking.

Elite Member
    I find it strange how people care about comparing consoles to pc every generation. Especially when it comes to multiplat and multi gen games. They are not going to take the time to truly optimize bf4 for ps4 so it wont reach it's full potential. You cant blame them, because at the end of the day they need to make a profit. If they spend a bunch of extra time on the ps4 version, it's doubtful they will recoup their money. There are only a million pre orders and what % of them will buy this game? I know I wont.

Let the pc guys enjoy having a more powerful system. It costs a lot more, they miss out on a lot of great exclusives, and they typically play on small monitors with headphones.

Thread Information