Does it have splitscreen support?

• + Sid Shuman on August 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm said:
      Just confirmed that it does not

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...comment-890461

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    bah, no need for split screen. I've always hated it unless I was playing 007 on N64 or Mario Kart on SNES. Other than that, I never used it and usually me and my friends just took turns unless it was co op on one screen or some odd fighting game that split screens or Toe jam & Earl. LOL Point being is I enjoyed split screen more when I was a kid and those older games did justify it. These newer games though like Killzone, nah. It honestly won't be missed if there is no split screen co-op.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    That blows.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Split screen is pretty antiquated nowadays. When Borderlands 2 was revealed with a split screen mode I was excited, having played it a bit with my girlfriend I can't stand, she can't stand it, we need two PS3's cause split screen just doesn't cut it. Back in the day it might have been nice, but these days it's unnecessary and old feeling.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

5. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Meh. Dont care.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I will be the only one playing it at my house...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Split screen has slowlybeen on the way out over the past few years. I honestly don't expect to see it much next gen, considering how connected everything is now.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Meh. Dont care.
    This.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Does it have online co-op?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    It's definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Don't care.

Forum Sage

Couldn't care less. I hate sharing screens

Now what i really would like is system link/online co-op

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Splitscreen is always important. It's great for having friends over and playing. It is a real shame they are refusing to support it.

Soldier 95B
    Sucks that they don't have it, as I love playing games in split screen with my son. That said, they seem far and few between these days, so it aint no skin off my back. I will get it no matter what. I already own all the Killzones, this won't stop me from getting the new one!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I love split screen, it is so much fun with friends at home

It is so much fun... I miss them days
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't have friends round as often as I used to to make it worth my while. IF I am to play multi player now 99/100 it will be online.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-30-2013 at 13:56.

Friendship is Carrots
    I'm sad that splitscreen as a whole is going out of style. My best times playing games was on a couch or huddled up to a small TV in a bedroom, gaming together with my family and friends. I remember Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Halo, Mech Warrior, Gears of War, etc. Playing over the internet just isn't the same.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Splitscreen is always important. It's great for having friends over and playing. It is a real shame they are refusing to support it.
    Who said they refused? They might have taken a poll and seen most don't care, which means you're in the minority. I could care less about it as well.

20. Likes KungMartin90 likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Who said they refused? They might have taken a poll and seen most don't care, which means you're in the minority. I could care less about it as well.
    Split screen is also a performance hit and UI change. Probably something that didn't interest them. They have a vision with the game, and don't want it tainted.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm sad that splitscreen as a whole is going out of style. My best times playing games was on a couch or huddled up to a small TV in a bedroom, gaming together with my family and friends. I remember Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Halo, Mech Warrior, Gears of War, etc. Playing over the internet just isn't the same.
    Agreed! I can't remember how many hours I put into 4 player co op on Halo. " You cheated! You were looking at my screen!"

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Did anyone expect this? Splitscreen can be fun but just doesn't work for shooters in my opinion.

If you want to be all cosy, host a LAN-party for your friends
    Last edited by Flumbooze; 08-30-2013 at 18:46.

Dedicated Member
    Would be cool if you could play the game on the vita independently as well as on the PS4....super split screen!
    PSN = prison_inmate

Superior Member

Why are people making so many excuses about this? Developers are cutting way too many corners when it comes to development these days that a lot of what some do just doesnt make sense.

I would rather a game, any game come with as many features and gameplay elements as possible rather than them sacrificing it for better graphics. That isnt the vision that i would want to see in gaming. I would also sacrifice 1080p and 60fps for 720p and 60fps.

Developers have better resources going into the next generation that this type of practice should ideally not be happening. If Halo, CoD can have splitscreen functionality, why can any other shooter?

I still play a tonne of the time with friends mostly on splitscreen coop, and a bit of versus......still remember a three day cycle where we started playing Geras of War, finished it, played Resident evil 5 to the last stage where we got stuck, then picked up Halo ODST and Reach. Those are some of the best experiences i have this generation, not to mention playing beat em ups, racers hours on end along with sports titles. Those are not experiences i would trade for a small graphics boost.

Going by sales, people also dont rate that as much when you look at Battlefield or Killzone sales when compared to Gears, Halo or CoD.

GG dropping the ball, and it might explain why i dont have a single friend that has purchased a KZ title this gen
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I don't think it's making excuses if some one such as myself just doesn't give a crap about split screen. I would much rather play some online coop but there isn't enough of that either. And if your friends love split screen so much and that's why none of them have kz this gen well kz3 has split screen.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    I don't think it's making excuses if some one such as myself just doesn't give a crap about split screen. I would much rather play some online coop but there isn't enough of that either. And if your friends love split screen so much and that's why none of them have kz this gen well kz3 has split screen.
    I played it last generation, wanted it this generation then they did the same thing with KZ2.

KZ3 had it, but it didnt get as good ratings, plus there were a tonne of games out on the ps3 and the 360 at the time that made it not worth considering.

As i have said it numerous times, gaming isnt only about what I personally want as an individual gamer. It is for that reason i was against MS ToS for the X1 when they made them public. For that same reason, i can never fathom why a developer wont go ahead and make some type of functionality universal. Majority of consoles are not online, and even fewer will be with the subscription model in place for online gaming, so that begs the question why not have a streamlined experience for both online and offline players?

I get a tonne of games that have features and gameplay types i sometimes never touch. I barely played versus a friend on Reach, never got to explore 10% the total maps (and I have all the maps) on ODST, never got to play multiplayer on GeoW2, just barely touched it on GeoW1, didnt play as much multiplayer on CoD or Resistance. It wasnt that i didnt want to play, it was that i didnt have as much time on my hands, and even then, I fully understood that regardless of how little i used those features, they mattered not only to me, but friends who played on my console more than I did.

Graphic fidelity, the developer not wanting to take a hit on resources or trying to make it work should never be an excuse for not making something work. I also hate having to miss games in a series of games, I got KZ, missed KZ2, never got kz3. Was somewhat interested in this one because the storyline is further ahead, but no splitscreen.

It is the reason i also skip battlefield, no straightforward shooter should come without splitscreen functionality for Coop or versus, similar to a racer unless they are online based like Driveclub or left for dead.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Thread Information