Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Realize and remember this about Sony.

The PS3 is selling about 15 million per year now. This means manufacturing and shipping 1.25 million PS3 per month. There is no question about Sony production lines (and most of these are outsourced from the streamlining 3 years ago) being able to switch over to PS4 production lines. While there is a lot of retooling, it is still stamping out plastic cases, punching out frames, processing motherboards, and assembling power supply modules. Or Sony could have just added and started additional PS4 production lines.

The only problem here is for the production director to decide to keep PS3 production lines going at a 15 million per year rate and just add PS4 production lines or try to predict the market swing and taper off on the PS3 production lines.
    Good points (actually PS3 is slowing down it peaked at about 15M/yr it was 13M last year, and I suspect lower this year), but keep in mind that PS3 and PS4 production lines aren't tradeoffs. It's not Sony production capacity, it's production capacity leased by Sony. The retooling isn't from PS3 to PS4 but from whatever the lines were being used to produce to what they're currently being done. One can almost guarantee that it wasn't existing PS3 production line that got retooled. I actually thought I heard something about Foxconn having some new production facilities that was being used for this, but that could have just been rumor mill dreams.

Sony will ramp PS4 production down as the demand softens over the next couple years, until it's at a point that it's no longer worth keeping production and they will close it down, just like they did on the PS2.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    they started around the frist week in aug

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Do people forget that you don't need FCC approval for anything being manufactured! When you know what you're doing and following basic standards you know you'll get approved. PS3 was in full production many months before approval from FCC so what on earth are you guys talking about???.

FCC has no say over European/Australian/Japanese versions of products you're only accounting for America only a small chunk of the world Even though America is the main consumer here more units will be sold to the rest of the world Sony makes a lot more money off the rest of the world trust me manufacturing started long before FCC approval, full production would have started April/may soon after documents were Pre-approved (they can be Pre-approved following standards guidelines) final FCC approval is when the FCC does their own internal testing on a product.

Remember when the PS4 controller designs were leaked last December by developers they even showed the light bar, those leaked pics looked pretty final to me, when the controller was revealed in late February it looked identical to the leaked controller of December ... Logic says "we've been in production for a while now.

It will take 2-3 months alone to package everything that takes the longest and requires a large amount of physical labor.
    Finished systems will be touched by more than 100 hands alone isn't that crazy !
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Things can be manufacured pretty quickly these days but 1.5 million PS4s manufacured in 3 months no, 8-9 months its realistically possible but even then a real stretch.
    By your logic, it took Sony and Microsoft over 15 YEARS to push out the number of ps3 and 360's they have. Even that being a stretch.
    Last edited by K2D; 08-31-2013 at 11:56.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Double post

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    By your logic, it took Sony and Microsoft over 15 YEARS to push out the number of ps3 and 360's they have. Even that being a stretch.
    Noooooo production gets easier as time passes, more facilities open as demand grows, every company knows not to put all your eggs in one basket meaning you don't go producing 5 million consoles if you're unsure they will sell or not even if you think they will sell you never over produce anything unless you see how the first batch turns out.

By the time PS4 launches Sony would have well and truly manufactured around 5 million units easily, but they wouldn't have shipped that many units because like I said last time logistics and packaging is the hardest part of the whole process, lots and lots of manual labor putting accessories into boxes etc takes a lot of time.

I remember when Sony Australia received their PS Vitas 2 months before launch and they said they had lots of work to do boxing all the vitas ready for launch day.

So I would dare say if it sometimes takes 1 to 2 months to package a console that would probably mean the US and European shipments are being packaged and shipped locally as we speak they won't leave it till last minute around that time of year no way.

It's great to know the launch will be plentiful worldwide

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Noooooo production gets easier as time passes, more facilities open as demand grows, every company knows not to put all your eggs in one basket meaning you don't go producing 5 million consoles if you're unsure they will sell or not even if you think they will sell you never over produce anything unless you see how the first batch turns out.

By the time PS4 launches Sony would have well and truly manufactured around 5 million units easily, but they wouldn't have shipped that many units because like I said last time logistics and packaging is the hardest part of the whole process, lots and lots of manual labor putting accessories into boxes etc takes a lot of time.

I remember when Sony Australia received their PS Vitas 2 months before launch and they said they had lots of work to do boxing all the vitas ready for launch day.

So I would dare say if it sometimes takes 1 to 2 months to package a console that would probably mean the US and European shipments are being packaged and shipped locally as we speak they won't leave it till last minute around that time of year no way.

It's great to know the launch will be plentiful worldwide
    Takes more time to package a console then it does to manufacture it? Interresting!

Takes me 2-5 minutes to repack a console but 30 minutes to reassemble the consoIe itself after maintenance... I must be doing something wrong!!!

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Thread Information