Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Cant wait to pick mine up.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    This is awesome news.

Hopefully this puts to rest any Scott Lowe-type of "concerns".
    Be Together - Not the same.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    3 months away is too long
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

7. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Nice! Pump out my PS4 now!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Elite Guru
    Well considering the hardware is completed, the only thing slowing Sony down would be the standard logistics.

Making machines this far from launch is good for both ironing out potential kinks in production and is great news in terms of building up supplies.

Veteran
    I had assumed it went into production since early August at least but it's good to have confirmation. Video is no longer working by the way.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I have pre-ordered mine since E3. I can't wait until November 15.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

12. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    I had assumed it went into production since early August at least but it's good to have confirmation. Video is no longer working by the way.
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    For the first time in a few weekS my $#@! has felt tingly.
    Last edited by berts08; 08-30-2013 at 12:24.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

15. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Can i has one now?

Soldier 95B
    I wonder if mine is actually on the line right now with the case being put on? It would be sweet if we could have them custom engraved like when you order certain apple products online.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    It would be interesting to see a video of the production process, though I doubt that would ever happen.

9 years and counting!

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It would be interesting to see a video of the production process, though I doubt that would ever happen.

20. Likes Justin likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    There was a lot of information within this presentation. The PSeye, Vita, PS4, PS3. Also showed exclusive content information. A lot of information that hasn't really been revealed to the public.

PSU Live Streamer
    I spoke to sony, they made mine first....suckers

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

23. Likes Admartian , darky89 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I wonder if it will come with the Girls Of Foxconn Swimsuit Calendar?

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

25. Likes shepard likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    PS4 has been manufactured since last December (at least the controllers have been) and the end of the February event (design was finalized for the box and full production of system in its complete stage would have started late April/early may by logic.

Initial production probably would have started in Japan for the initial test runs to make sure all component assembly works together seamlessly with computer and physical end of line check systems. (Basically in house)

Plastic moulding for the system would have likely begun as early as January, main components would have more than likely been produced as early as last June/July for CPU/GPU assembly as a rough guess.

These things take an awfully long time to put together... PS4 would not have started production last month if that's what people think they would be called crazy.

Things can be manufacured pretty quickly these days but 1.5 million PS4s manufacured in 3 months no, 8-9 months its realistically possible but even then a real stretch.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    PS4 has been manufactured since last December (at least the controllers have been) and the end of the February event (design was finalized for the box and full production of system in its complete stage would have started late April/early may by logic.

Initial production probably would have started in Japan for the initial test runs to make sure all component assembly works together seamlessly with computer and physical end of line check systems. (Basically in house)

Plastic moulding for the system would have likely begun as early as January, main components would have more than likely been produced as early as last June/July for CPU/GPU assembly as a rough guess.

These things take an awfully long time to put together... PS4 would not have started production last month if that's what people think they would be called crazy.

Things can be manufacured pretty quickly these days but 1.5 million PS4s manufacured in 3 months no, 8-9 months its realistically possible but even then a real stretch.
    Call me crazy then. There is NO WAY they started full production before the units passed the fcc. Imagine churning out 1-2 million units only to be forced ti destroy them because they dont meet the regulations... Calk me crazy, i'll call you delusional!

You also believe CPU/GPU were final last summer? As in 2012? Right.. Loll and if you mean 2013 then you are contradicting yourself. You say full production started as early as April/May, now explain to me how they enter full production without one of the, if not THE MAIN component, the APU?

SONY SUBMITTED a retail unit to the FCC in JUNE this year so there is no way they started mass production BEFORE that.

It takes 8-9 months to manufacture 1.5 million units? How did they ever manage to ship 10 million PS3 in one fiscal year?!??

SONY and its manufacturing partners can/could produce up to 1 million units a month, if not more (once everything is ironed out, yield issues, assembly line problems etc..)

Again, no mass production until all federal regulations in concerned countries have been met and APPROVED. What you are refering to ahead of fcc approval are TEST UNITS and those change constantly until final design is set (the one submitted to the fcc)

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Where have you been? PS4 components have been shipping since June:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130611PD207.html
    PS4 components reportedly start shipping in June

The PS4 passed FCC testing in late July. That is the GO signal for production. It takes awhile to get production lines going full speed but all indications are Sony started in early August and this latest news indicates they are approaching full production volume. This is probably 1 million per month, so if you look at full production over September, October, November, then there is probably about 3 to 4 million for launch, and those numbers would fit with general estimates of 2 million for North America and 2 million for Europe, with some smaller numbers for South America, the Pacific and Eastern Europe including Russia.

Then, as the launch window proceeds, there should be about another 2 million for the Japan launch which looks like it has been moved up from a late 1st quarter 2014 to possibly January, a big holiday month for Japan. It also appears that China may be opening their market not long after. By then, Sony production lines should be capable of 2 million per month, if the demand is there. All indications point to the PS4 launch being the biggest ever for a videogame console.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

29. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    and one of them will be mine!
    and mine as well!!! MWAHAHAHAHAH

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Call me crazy then. There is NO WAY they started full production before the units passed the fcc. Imagine churning out 1-2 million units only to be forced ti destroy them because they dont meet the regulations... Calk me crazy, i'll call you delusional!

You also believe CPU/GPU were final last summer? As in 2012? Right.. Loll and if you mean 2013 then you are contradicting yourself. You say full production started as early as April/May, now explain to me how they enter full production without one of the, if not THE MAIN component, the APU?

SONY SUBMITTED a retail unit to the FCC in JUNE this year so there is no way they started mass production BEFORE that.

It takes 8-9 months to manufacture 1.5 million units? How did they ever manage to ship 10 million PS3 in one fiscal year?!??

SONY and its manufacturing partners can/could produce up to 1 million units a month, if not more (once everything is ironed out, yield issues, assembly line problems etc..)

Again, no mass production until all federal regulations in concerned countries have been met and APPROVED. What you are refering to ahead of fcc approval are TEST UNITS and those change constantly until final design is set (the one submitted to the fcc)

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2
    I'll call you crazy, but you're also right. There's no way they would have started production units before submitting to FCC. They would have done Beta run and w/ the design, and the intent of these units probably going to store displays, and they would have been ready to start production ramp but would only do the ramp AFTER FCC approval.

You don't want to have to fix a large quantity of production units because FCC says that this or that needs to be changed.

I would say that part of the beta builds would be ironing out the larger manufacturing issues that arise. I'd guesstimate that they don't have the production capacity built in right now as they had for PS3's year 2-7 as the first year is traditionally lighter in terms of overall sales. I'd guess between 0.5 and 0.75M units / mo right now, but 3 months gives between 1.5 and 2.25M units on hand for launch and another 0.75 to 1.5M before end of year. To be honest I'd think they started with an initial plan at 0.5M/mo and ramped up to 0.75M/mo based on demand. That said, by this time next year, they may be up to 1M/mo production rate depending on demand.

Note this are just my educated guesses based on traditional holiday launch window sales of consoles. My logic is pretty rudimentary here, and I'm sure Sony and MS have both looked at these numbers along with pre-order numbers to adjust production numbers. You don't want to have inventory sitting in stock and you also want to meet demand, production rates don't instantaneously shift so planning needs to be done several months out to keep this adjusted optimally.

Veteran
    Realize and remember this about Sony.

The PS3 is selling about 15 million per year now. This means manufacturing and shipping 1.25 million PS3 per month. There is no question about Sony production lines (and most of these are outsourced from the streamlining 3 years ago) being able to switch over to PS4 production lines. While there is a lot of retooling, it is still stamping out plastic cases, punching out frames, processing motherboards, and assembling power supply modules. Or Sony could have just added and started additional PS4 production lines.

The only problem here is for the production director to decide to keep PS3 production lines going at a 15 million per year rate and just add PS4 production lines or try to predict the market swing and taper off on the PS3 production lines.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    While I doubt they started building PS4's before the FCC approval, they more than likely had all the components being stocked up (RAM chips, blu-ray components, etc.) so there won't be a shortage like they had at the PS3 at launch, so once they got the green light from the FCC it can be full speed ahead!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Thread Information