Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    15,811
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    82,295 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    RedOrb/Wrath is not complaining about the games themselves, guys. He's just noting that he wishes some of the resources for these games went to titles that befitted something more engrossing and meaningful.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 09-01-2013 at 12:07.

  2. #27
    Superior Member
    Flumbooze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    1,781 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    RedOrb/Wrath is not complaining about the games themselves, guys. He's just noting that he wishes some of the resources for these games went to titles that befitted something more engrossing and meaningful.
    Why? There are enough of those games already and I love them just as much. You need a variety of games and I don't think we've seen a game like this announced for PS4.

  3. #28
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    15,811
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    82,295 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Why? There are enough of those games already and I love them just as much. You need a variety of games and I don't think we've seen a game like this announced for PS4.
    I'm confident it's simply because it's what's desired.

  4. #29
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    It's a pretty game but that's about it. Looks like nothing a PS3 couldn't pull off. If they don't put it on the PS3 too, they are idiots to miss out on that money!

  5. #30
    Superior Member
    Flumbooze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    1,781 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm confident it's simply because it's what's desired.
    Yeah, but you can't desire too much.

  6. #31
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    22,049
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    23,328 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    It's a pretty game but that's about it. Looks like nothing a PS3 couldn't pull off. If they don't put it on the PS3 too, they are idiots to miss out on that money!
    Nah, there is no way this game could have worked on PS3, we will probably see a very dumbed down Vita version tho.

    Too many particle effects.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  7. #32
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,574
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,279 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    It's a pretty game but that's about it. Looks like nothing a PS3 couldn't pull off. If they don't put it on the PS3 too, they are idiots to miss out on that money!
    the game leans heavily on the GPU, for which the PS3 has the weakest this current gen.

    "The entire environment - everything - is built up from these voxels," explains Kruger. "All of the cubes that you see flying around - there's no gimmick, no point sprites, it's not a particle effect, they're actual physical cubes. In gameplay, dynamic cubes with collisions, floating around, you can get up to 200,000. Our engine supports up to 500,000 but in actual gameplay scenarios, it rarely goes over 200K."

    "So basically what happens is that the mesh for the actual background geometry is generated, then when an explosion happens and a part of it is chipped away, that particular segment is reconstructed. That's what's happening on the GPU side with compute shaders - but with nice performance."
    this is a VERY interesting game for devs going forwards. techniques used for the GPGPU compute will get used on bigger budget titles down the road.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  8. #33
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Nah, there is no way this game could have worked on PS3, we will probably see a very dumbed down Vita version tho.

    Too many particle effects.
    I disagree. Considering it's not a huge 3D world to render, it's not exactly taxing the system. As for the particle effects? The Cell has more than enough floating point performance to assist the GPU in making those levels of effects. That was after all one of it's touted benefits....SPE rendering assist of the GPU. Floating point math is perfect for particle effects calculations and since the Cell is a floating point beast..... that is why I think the PS3 could handle this game no problem.

  9. #34
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,788 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    I disagree. Considering it's not a huge 3D world to render, it's not exactly taxing the system. As for the particle effects? The Cell has more than enough floating point performance to assist the GPU in making those levels of effects. That was after all one of it's touted benefits....SPE rendering assist of the GPU. Floating point math is perfect for particle effects calculations and since the Cell is a floating point beast..... that is why I think the PS3 could handle this game no problem.
    ITs not particle effects its Voxels, the whole world is generated from small cubes and each cube has its own mass and responds correctly to the physics engine.

    If they did it on the PS3 on the Cell it wouldn't be at 60FPS or 1080p, the GPU will only be able to render as much voxels as the Cell could calculate thus limiting the frame rate.

    ITs similar to Nvidia Physx, If you have an Nvidia card compare the results when you bench on GPU and CPU
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20111108/flui...ph-simulation/

    For me on My CPU it starts off well but quickly drops to around 8FPS.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-02-2013 at 21:38.

  10. #35
    Banned

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    11,608 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    ITs not particle effects its Voxels, the whole world is generated from small cubes and each cube has its own mass and responds correctly to the physics engine.

    If they did it on the PS3 on the Cell it wouldn't be at 60FPS or 1080p, the GPU will only be able to render as much voxels as the Cell could calculate thus limiting the frame rate.

    ITs similar to Nvidia Physx, If you have an Nvidia card compare the results when you bench on GPU and CPU
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20111108/flui...ph-simulation/

    For me on My CPU it starts off well but quickly drops to around 8FPS.
    Well I still think the Cell+RSX could handle it. We'll see if they even bother.

  11. #36
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,855
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    167,517 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    ITs not particle effects its Voxels, the whole world is generated from small cubes and each cube has its own mass and responds correctly to the physics engine.

    If they did it on the PS3 on the Cell it wouldn't be at 60FPS or 1080p, the GPU will only be able to render as much voxels as the Cell could calculate thus limiting the frame rate.

    ITs similar to Nvidia Physx, If you have an Nvidia card compare the results when you bench on GPU and CPU
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20111108/flui...ph-simulation/

    For me on My CPU it starts off well but quickly drops to around 8FPS.

    All that just to give us a defender clone?

    Err yay?



    Still rocks 30 years on.

  12. Likes Jabjabs likes this post
  13. #37
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,505
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    13,024 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The game looks stunning and its free, nuff said

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  14. #38
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,967
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,788 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    All that just to give us a defender clone?

    Err yay?



    Still rocks 30 years on.
    Undoubtedly, but to have that brought as is to PSN most people would laugh.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-02-2013 at 23:07.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.