Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Indoril Nerevar
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    RedOrb/Wrath is not complaining about the games themselves, guys. He's just noting that he wishes some of the resources for these games went to titles that befitted something more engrossing and meaningful.
    Last edited by Rapture; 09-01-2013 at 12:07.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    RedOrb/Wrath is not complaining about the games themselves, guys. He's just noting that he wishes some of the resources for these games went to titles that befitted something more engrossing and meaningful.
    Why? There are enough of those games already and I love them just as much. You need a variety of games and I don't think we've seen a game like this announced for PS4.

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumbooze View Post
    Why? There are enough of those games already and I love them just as much. You need a variety of games and I don't think we've seen a game like this announced for PS4.
    I'm confident it's simply because it's what's desired.

Superior Member

It's a pretty game but that's about it. Looks like nothing a PS3 couldn't pull off. If they don't put it on the PS3 too, they are idiots to miss out on that money!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm confident it's simply because it's what's desired.
    Yeah, but you can't desire too much.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    It's a pretty game but that's about it. Looks like nothing a PS3 couldn't pull off. If they don't put it on the PS3 too, they are idiots to miss out on that money!
    Nah, there is no way this game could have worked on PS3, we will probably see a very dumbed down Vita version tho.

Too many particle effects.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    the game leans heavily on the GPU, for which the PS3 has the weakest this current gen.

"The entire environment - everything - is built up from these voxels," explains Kruger. "All of the cubes that you see flying around - there's no gimmick, no point sprites, it's not a particle effect, they're actual physical cubes. In gameplay, dynamic cubes with collisions, floating around, you can get up to 200,000. Our engine supports up to 500,000 but in actual gameplay scenarios, it rarely goes over 200K."

"So basically what happens is that the mesh for the actual background geometry is generated, then when an explosion happens and a part of it is chipped away, that particular segment is reconstructed. That's what's happening on the GPU side with compute shaders - but with nice performance."
    this is a VERY interesting game for devs going forwards. techniques used for the GPGPU compute will get used on bigger budget titles down the road.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Nah, there is no way this game could have worked on PS3, we will probably see a very dumbed down Vita version tho.

Too many particle effects.
    I disagree. Considering it's not a huge 3D world to render, it's not exactly taxing the system. As for the particle effects? The Cell has more than enough floating point performance to assist the GPU in making those levels of effects. That was after all one of it's touted benefits....SPE rendering assist of the GPU. Floating point math is perfect for particle effects calculations and since the Cell is a floating point beast..... that is why I think the PS3 could handle this game no problem.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I disagree. Considering it's not a huge 3D world to render, it's not exactly taxing the system. As for the particle effects? The Cell has more than enough floating point performance to assist the GPU in making those levels of effects. That was after all one of it's touted benefits....SPE rendering assist of the GPU. Floating point math is perfect for particle effects calculations and since the Cell is a floating point beast..... that is why I think the PS3 could handle this game no problem.
    ITs not particle effects its Voxels, the whole world is generated from small cubes and each cube has its own mass and responds correctly to the physics engine.

If they did it on the PS3 on the Cell it wouldn't be at 60FPS or 1080p, the GPU will only be able to render as much voxels as the Cell could calculate thus limiting the frame rate.

ITs similar to Nvidia Physx, If you have an Nvidia card compare the results when you bench on GPU and CPU
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20111108/flui...ph-simulation/

For me on My CPU it starts off well but quickly drops to around 8FPS.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-02-2013 at 21:38.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    ITs not particle effects its Voxels, the whole world is generated from small cubes and each cube has its own mass and responds correctly to the physics engine.

If they did it on the PS3 on the Cell it wouldn't be at 60FPS or 1080p, the GPU will only be able to render as much voxels as the Cell could calculate thus limiting the frame rate.

ITs similar to Nvidia Physx, If you have an Nvidia card compare the results when you bench on GPU and CPU

Well I still think the Cell+RSX could handle it. We'll see if they even bother.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

All that just to give us a defender clone?

Err yay?

Still rocks 30 years on.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

12. Likes Jabjabs likes this post
    Ancient
    The game looks stunning and its free, nuff said

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    All that just to give us a defender clone?

Err yay?

Still rocks 30 years on.
    Undoubtedly, but to have that brought as is to PSN most people would laugh.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-02-2013 at 23:07.

Thread Information