Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

MS a PC entrepreneur but PS4 the more PC like?

Thought of it today when I read about MS dropping the external storage support for installs. That makes the XB1 non HDD upgradable with no support for external storage.

While the PS3/4 has easily upgradable HDD.
    Sony has had a PC like openness when it comes to things like headsets, HDDs, keyboards, mice etc.

It's funny because when I hear MS I automatically think of PC, and yet Sony has a more PC like philosophy with it's consoles than MS.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Doesn't really mean anything. Neither will be lacking storage space in the end.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

MS a PC entrepreneur but PS4 the more PC like?

I didn't want to sound like it meant something. It was merely an observation rather than a comparison. A fun fact of sorts.

Although one can't argue that what Sony does in the specific matter is definitely a plus for consumers.

Last edited by MjW; 09-02-2013 at 21:52.

Ancient
    MS makes OS's Sony makes hardware including PC's, makes perfect sense to me
    And its a lot easier to learn/get good software skills, being good at hardware....not so much.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Thought of it today when I read about MS delaying the external storage support for installs. [That makes the XB1 non HDD upgradable with no support for external storage at launch.

Sony has had a PC like openness when it comes to things like headsets, HDDs, keyboards, mice etc.

It's funny because when I hear MS I automatically think of PC, and yet Sony has a more PC like philosophy with it's consoles than MS.

Fixed that for you.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Doesn't really mean anything. Neither will be lacking storage space in the end.
    Hmmm, my PS3 originally came with a 40gb hard drive. Being able to upgrade easily without spending a fortune.....yeah, was kinda important to me.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Is this just about HDD storage space and nothing else? That's kind of grasping...

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hmmm, my PS3 originally came with a 40gb hard drive. Being able to upgrade easily without spending a fortune.....yeah, was kinda important to me.
    Same here but not anymore. As long as we can install and delete I'm ok with what is offered. XB1 cloud even has unlimited storage anyway.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    people are totally missing the point of this thread o_O

but to add to the OP,

MS does seem envious of what apple has achieved. they[apple] have a fully closed ecosystem that they dictate, and consumers love their products wholeheartedly. win, win.

its more obvious with the Win8 RT OS where MS are denying devs access to base level functions. they're attempting to compete at an equal level with apple and google by natively running their own products... and its not working.

though, im sure i read somewhere XB1 could run m/k....not sure
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    External HDD features will come later in a patch, more than likely the Xbone will be the first hacked.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    people are totally missing the point of this thread o_O

but to add to the OP,

MS does seem envious of what apple has achieved. they[apple] have a fully closed ecosystem that they dictate, and consumers love their products wholeheartedly. win, win.

its more obvious with the Win8 RT OS where MS are denying devs access to base level functions. they're attempting to compete at an equal level with apple and google by natively running their own products... and its not working.

though, im sure i read somewhere XB1 could run m/k....not sure
    I don't see what you post has to do with the content in this thread.

And MS only did what they did with surface because they were tired of third parties dropping the ball.

Forum Elder
    Personally hate apple

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Thought of it today when I read about MS dropping the external storage support for installs. That makes the XB1 non HDD upgradable with no support for external storage.

What I read was that Microsoft isn't dropping external HDD support. It just won't be available at launch....the date of availability is still a mystery though!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

And MS only did what they did with surface because they were tired of third parties dropping the ball.
    MS's market strategy? you tried lecturing me on critical thinking in an earlier thread.

but how did third parties drop the ball pray tell? google and firefox are one of many asking why they're denied base level access to the tablet.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Consoles have been getting more PC like with every generation.
    I guess MS could be a douche like Apple and close off their OS and control everything f they wanted to.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-03-2013 at 02:56.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    This thread has gotten way off the mark.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    i see what the OP is saying, but when it gets to having to upgrade the graphics card in a console, then i might be done with consoles in general. while a lot of people do it, to me its a big pain in the ass to have to pay for a new graphics card to play the latest games.

i really don't think consoles will ever be like that though!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    There was no mark to begin with, his premise was based on an incorrect assumption (that MS has closed off the external HDD), so it's kind of moot.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Extreme Poster
    MS sort of started out the Xbox closer to a PC but they did away with it with the 360...and i think it's for strategic reasons. Someone brought up Apple (fiji?), yes, that makes sense...it means more money in the end.

MS did have something like that with Live...they made gamers pay for features that could easily be implemented without much money (such as X-game chat, unified system etc.) but I get that they wanted to make you pay for servers...but even then, too much money per year for that.

Basically people paid for them bringing innovation much much earlier. It makes sense.

They purposely did not want to support keyboard/mouse on the 360...and a browser until now. I think it's their philosophy and I get it. They don't want people to think it's a PC. and honestly the KB/mouse has never really taken off on the PS3. Many things didn't take off on the PS3...those are resource-wasters.

MS had their chi mad-focused this generation. They trimmed the fat and focused on things that mattered. Sony did not and from a perspective, lost. In actuality they did about the same overall.

Sony should have done the same, trim the fat and go with what matters, that's what they're doing now with the PS4. I love it. They were too busy with stupid things on the PS3 and I'm glad their mentality is changing and they're much more focused now. I think they needed that western influence that is very obvious now.
    I thought your real name was larry...and figured that's why you like that dirty game lol.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Actually he got the point of my post very well. I don't know, I might have expressed myself badly and got misunderstood by some.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    There was no mark to begin with, his premise was based on an incorrect assumption (that MS has closed off the external HDD), so it's kind of moot.
    You "corrected" the post, I can agree to that. The point still stands though. The feature is delayed. It will come as a patch in the future, the future can be a month or years. It's not like MS gave a release date.

The point of the thread is not the HDD though, that was the example, what got me thinking.
    Sony's consoles are more loose in rules than MS's when it comes to peripherals too. Sony has a more PC like philosophy than MS when it comes to it's consoles in general.

Like the headset part too. MS wasn't to include a headset either. The internet got upset and MS said "ok, we might include a headset after all, there will also be an adapter you can buy to use your existing headsets." Which just reminds me of Apple's 30 pin to lightning adapter. While I wouldn't be surprised if you can use the 360 headset on the PS4 with a half a dollar generic 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter.

As Fiji said, it is obvious MS is aiming for a closed ecosystem, to all their products. Much like Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO
    MS makes OS's Sony makes hardware including PC's, makes perfect sense to me
    And its a lot easier to learn/get good software skills, being good at hardware....not so much.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Actually I didn't think of this, it makes sense.
    Might have missed that because when I hear Sony, PC is like the fourth word that comes to mind. First is Playstation, then music, cameras etc.
    Last edited by MjW; 09-03-2013 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I thought your real name was larry...and figured that's why you like that dirty game lol.
    lol.....No, I just like that dirty game.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    MS's market strategy? you tried lecturing me on critical thinking in an earlier thread.

but how did third parties drop the ball pray tell? google and firefox are one of many asking why they're denied base level access to the tablet.
    Just because MS has some strategies in common with what apple is doing, does not mean they are trying to copy their overall strategy.

And by third parties, I mean the various computer (hardware) companies: hp, dell, lenovo, sony, toshiba, acer, asus, ect.

They weren't putting up decent tablet/hybrid computers so MS made their own to set an example/standard for 3rd parties to go by.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Oh lord.

MS charge for their ip.
    They always have.

They don't own pci x86 or any of the hardware architecture implement in PC's.

/thread

Soldier 95B
    Just to clarify:

When the Xbox One was first revealed in May, Microsoft said that users would be able to expand the system's internal 500GB hard drive with external USB storage. It seems that feature won't initially be available to early adopters when the console is released in November, though.

Speaking during a live podcast recorded at PAX this weekend, Xbox Community Manager Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb said that, while the external storage feature is being worked on, "my understanding is that feature will not be there at launch because the team's working on other things. It's definitely on the list; I don't know when it will come in, though."

As a practical matter, this probably won't mean much to early Xbox One owners; it will take time to fill up 500GB, after all. Still, it's never a good sign when a company is still working to add promised features to a product that's planned for release in only a few months.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ady-at-launch/

I am glad it will support installing games on external HDD options, another X1 benefit.

Extreme Poster
    what would you do with that feature?

EDIT: Oh in case you run out of space?

Thread Information