Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Works best with Chrome, if oyu got a 120Hz monitor it goes down to 15FPS, if only 60Hz its as low as 7.5

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=4&pps=480
    Last edited by keefy; 09-06-2013 at 07:45.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Anything added to the game that doesn’t allow us to run at 60 is removed or optimized.
    This is the stupidest $#@!ing $#@! ive EVER heard... if you have to remove something or optimize somthing to get your game at 60fps... no thank you.

id rather have higher poly characters, higher res textures, and more particle effects/ better lighting than 60fps.

If a game has to lose quality to run at 60... the dev can $#@! off with that.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

3. Likes Bitbydeath, PS4freak likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    This is the stupidest $#@!ing $#@! ive EVER heard... if you have to remove something or optimize somthing to get your game at 60fps... no thank you.

id rather have higher poly characters, higher res textures, and more particle effects/ better lighting than 60fps.

You're being really broad here. Higher poly count compared to what? Same with the textures and particle effects. If they put any more particle effects than what I've seen, you won't be able to see the characters you're playing with.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post

A lot of games this gen have had to loose quality to run at 30fps.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    only 720p and gorgeous.

Hehe its really not fair on any game to be thrown through Youtube compression :P
    That 2D/latent image/fluid dynamic effect is pretty interesting

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Wow, didn't expect a fighter game to have the same resolution and FPS as the current generation.

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I honestly don't get the issue whether if a game is 720/1080p or not? Obviously if a game looks good at either res, does it matter? I see this too much on the interwebs - "not 1080p/4k and 60fps? PREORDER CANCELLED!"

If it looks good then what's the deelio?
    720p doesn't look that sharp anymore.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    True 720p and 60fps? None, afaik.
    Forza 4.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    so should killzone then. 8GB GDDR5, 1.8 TF, 1.76 GPU, 1.6 CPU....... all that power right? GG better devs than DH...no excuses right?
    You do realize that they're targeting 60fps for the MP right? Regardless of whether or not they reach it, bare minimum they're hitting 1080p 30fps.

@Matrix

GT5 was 720p-1080pish 60fps afaik. There were quite a few titles that hit 60fps with a resolution of 720p. Wipeout (which, again, iirc was above 720p dynamically and 60fps).

If you're talking Xbox 360 exclusively then there is at least the Forza entries.

Also, wasn't there DMC4? Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and so on?
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-06-2013 at 13:18.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Wipeout (which, again, iirc was above 720p dynamically and 60fps).
    I thought Wipeout was 1080p 60fps?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Not native... It had a dynamic "res".

I think the game is getting the bad end of the stick. Once it's released I think it will put those claims down.

Right now it needs:
    More res
    more poly's
    more particle effects

? I miss anything?

PSU Technical Advisor
    Wipeout had a dynamic rendering set up. In order to preserve framerate it would go below 1080p at times. I don't know if it was full 1920x1080p either, but I do know that it was above 720p and 60fps.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Wipeout is actually an interesting case. It maintained 60fps by dynamically adjusting the res on the fly with very little image quality hit. Would happen at times heaps of effects were on screen. Honestly don't know why more games use this to allow highest res for the majority of the time and drop during times of high action

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Not native... It had a dynamic "res".

I think the game is getting the bad end of the stick. Once it's released I think it will put those claims down.

Right now it needs:
    More res
    more poly's
    more particle effects

? I miss anything?
    Wipeout had a dynamic rendering set up. In order to preserve framerate it would go below 1080p at times. I don't know if it was full 1920x1080p either, but I do know that it was above 720p and 60fps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Wipeout is actually an interesting case. It maintained 60fps by dynamically adjusting the res on the fly with very little image quality hit. Would happen at times heaps of effects were on screen. Honestly don't know why more games use this to allow highest res for the majority of the time and drop during times of high action
    So it was pretty $#@!ing close to 1080p 60fps...most likely nothing noticeable to the human eye had it dropped below that.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Here is how Wipeout's dynamic resolution works.

Digital Foundry: We commented on the dynamic resolution of WipEout HD's 1080p mode on release, but it was never actually confirmed by Sony until recently at the SCEE Develop presentation. Can you go into depth on the performance benefits this gives you?

Studio Liverpool: Reducing the horizontal resolution dynamically allows us to hit our target 60FPS when the scene complexity literally explodes during heavy weapons fire. This means we don't have to compromise the overall graphical quality just to account for these sporadic maximum load scenarios. The drop in resolution isn't really very noticeable and we feel it's a worthwhile trade off.

Digital Foundry: How is resolution adjusted, by how much, and in what circumstances? Is the shift literally frame by frame? What is the relationship between the dynamic resolution system and the tearing of frames in terms of the lack of v-sync?

Studio Liverpool: We dynamically alter the horizontal resolution from 1920 to 1280 in steps of 32 pixels. Even when the game is paused and we modify the resolution in the debugger it is very hard to see a change. It is not enabled at resolutions lower than 1080p. The throttling is only allowed to change by 32 pixels each frame (either up or down). The strategy is not to predict when we will overflow a frame (which is somewhat impossible), but to recover as quickly possible if it happens. On some televisions you can see that the tearing is actually present all the time in the top few pixels of the screen. This is due to the software v-sync implementation used in WipEout HD - this is not 'framing out', it's just missing the true v-sync by a few pixels.

Digital Foundry: The dynamic framebuffer system is very cool in the sense that assuming the resolution changes during the most intense scenes, this is where the player is least likely to notice it, and where performance and response really should get the priority. But on the other hand, the game was heavily marketed as full 1080p60 and strictly speaking it isn't...

Studio Liverpool: The game is always 1080 at 60Hz. Only the horizontal resolution of the 3D render is modified, and the final framebuffer is always 1920x1080. At the end of the day this technique is about getting the most out of the system - if a game keeps a solid 60 frames at all times then it either has a totally consistent GPU load, it's throttling in some other way (such as level-of-detail) or its wasting a load of GPU cycles to ensure that it always has enough room to stay at 60Hz when the action hots up. We don't want wasted GPU cycles, we don't want level of detail (WipEout HD has no level-of-detail in the environment geometry - at 1080p you'd see it pop) so we compromise on the occasional tearing and resolution throttling.

We are always looking to push every aspect of the game and 1080p 60FPS was a very important target for us given the nature of WipEout HD's high-speed visuals. Responsiveness and fluidity are of singular importance in a racing game when you need to react in a split second and have that reflected immediately on screen. Having said that, the weapon effects really connect you to experience and are just as important to the overall impact of the game, so if we can achieve both using such an initiative approach as the dynamic framebuffer then why not?

You could argue that technically it doesn't run at 1080p 100 per cent of the time, but in reality most people don't notice the difference and are perfectly happy with 99.9 per cent 1080p in all it's high-def eye-bleeding glory. I believe it's our job to bring you the best gaming experiences possible, and if it takes a sleight of hand as you previously put it, I don't think you're getting a bad deal.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...terview?page=2
    Last edited by keefy; 09-06-2013 at 14:26.

16. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Forum Sage
    You do realize that they're targeting 60fps for the MP right? Regardless of whether or not they reach it, bare minimum they're hitting 1080p 30fps.

@Matrix

GT5 was 720p-1080pish 60fps afaik. There were quite a few titles that hit 60fps with a resolution of 720p. Wipeout (which, again, iirc was above 720p dynamically and 60fps).

If you're talking Xbox 360 exclusively then there is at least the Forza entries.

Also, wasn't there DMC4? Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and so on?
    For the record, were any of those games a steady 60fps, or did they have drops.

PSU Technical Advisor
    For the record, were any of those games a steady 60fps, or did they have drops.
    ??

My gaming rig will often drop below 60fps with certain games and I'm running an i7 and a GTX670 SC FTW edition with 12GB of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1.6Ghz memory.

When people say "60fps" I normally assume this means "generally in the 60fps area".

I don't expect any advertised 60fps game to be 100% constant. There will always be drops, the question is whether or not that's acceptable to some. My limit would probably be it hitting 30fps, and only because the difference would be jarring. But 5fps? 8fps? Meh.

Also, I forgot to mention: God of War 3 and God of War: Ascension. Both are 720p and 60fps.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-06-2013 at 18:25.

Veteran
    Gameplay is king, FPS over resolution every day of the week. Battlefield 4 will show console gamers (PC gamers get it, Console gamers not so much) why 60fps is much needed over 30fps.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

20. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    ??

My gaming rig will often drop below 60fps with certain games and I'm running an i7 and a GTX670 SC FTW edition with 12GB of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1.6Ghz memory.

When people say "60fps" I normally assume this means "generally in the 60fps area".

I don't expect any advertised 60fps game to be 100% constant. There will always be drops, the question is whether or not that's acceptable to some. My limit would probably be it hitting 30fps, and only because the difference would be jarring. But 5fps? 8fps? Meh.

Also, I forgot to mention: God of War 3 and God of War: Ascension. Both are 720p and 60fps.
    Just wanted to know if any games were locked at 60fps this generation. Obviously framerate drops are a possibility, but then the lines become blurred a bit based on how often those drops occur and to what level.

Just saying some people may prefer a locked 30 compared to a variable 60fps.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Dantes inferno was 60fps.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Just wanted to know if any games were locked at 60fps this generation. Obviously framerate drops are a possibility, but then the lines become blurred a bit based on how often those drops occur and to what level.

Just saying some people may prefer a locked 30 compared to a variable 60fps.
    And this is very very true. Honestly I cannot say what I would prefer.. Hard locked 30fps (with no enhanced visuals, mind you) or 'variable' 30-60fps.

Now, if I had to choose between an unlocked framerate or more goodies.. I'd choose goodies.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    And this is very very true. Honestly I cannot say what I would prefer.. Hard locked 30fps (with no enhanced visuals, mind you) or 'variable' 30-60fps.

Now, if I had to choose between an unlocked framerate or more goodies.. I'd choose goodies.
    Only time I can notice framerate is when it drops.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm fine with the majority of games being 30 frames per second if it means we can see more impressive graphics worthy of being called next-gen. I mean, when people say they're tired of current-gen, is not because of the same ol' visuals? Gamers were impressed with the jump from 480p to 720p shortly after the PS3 and Xbox 360 debuted so I think it only makes sense that 1080p would become the new standard with the PS4 and Xbox One.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I'm fine with the majority of games being 30 frames per second if it means we can see more impressive graphics worthy of being called next-gen. I mean, when people say they're tired of current-gen, is not because of the same ol' visuals? Gamers were impressed with the jump from 480p to 720p shortly after the PS3 and Xbox 360 debuted so I think it only makes sense that 1080p would become the new standard with the PS4 and Xbox One.
    720p hasn't even become a standard yet lol. Take that, add on 720p @ 60fps hasn't become a standard yet...
    Last edited by F34R; 09-06-2013 at 22:02. Reason: inserted "that and," removed "that"

27. Likes UkHardcore likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    720p hasn't even become a standard yet lol. Take add on that 720p @ 60fps hasn't become a standard yet...
    No it hasn't. As this next gen plays out we are gonna see a lot of 720P games. Something has to give. We won't be able to have bigger worlds and 108op for all games.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    For all of you who are saying that sacrificing some visuals for 60fps gameplay is blasphemy, you don't belong in the arcade fighter genre, you causal gaming Joes!

Thread Information