Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    brendon7358@gmail.com

Fixing my PS3 questions

Model is original 60GB CECHA01. I am replacing the blu-ray laser, re-applying thermal paste, and installing a new (1TB) HDD. I have a few questions

1. Which thermal paste? Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond 7? (I have both so price or availability is not part of the decision)

2. How much? I have heard a pea size drop and I have heard rice size, which one is it? (I have decided to use the blob method)

3. Will the PS3 automatically format the new HDD? (I just got the PS3 so I have no important data on the current one)

4. Is static as much of a concern with a PS3 as it is with a computer?

p.s. I know 1TB is overkill, just it was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up.

thanks

PSN ID
    LongbaxMiller
    The only one I know is that yes static is an issue... The boards and all are built the same way as a computer so anything utilizing circuit boards you need to be extra careful about static.... Hope it goes well... Let us know about the 1TB HDD as I plan on doing that to mine this fall/winter

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by brendon7358 View Post
    Model is original 60GB CECHA01. I am replacing the blu-ray laser, re-applying thermal paste, and installing a new (1TB) HDD. I have a few questions

1. Which thermal paste? Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond 7? (I have both so price or availability is not part of the decision)

2. How much? I have heard a pea size drop and I have heard rice size, which one is it? (I have decided to use the blob method)

3. Will the PS3 automatically format the new HDD? (I just got the PS3 so I have no important data on the current one)

p.s. I know 1TB is overkill, just it was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up.

thanks
    I'm going to be fixing mine this weekend as well, just got the YLOD last night.

1. You are probably good with either, I'd probably choose AS5 personally
    2. pea size, rice size...whats the diff really. Just put a small glob right on the center of the chip, don't spread it manually or you introduce air bubbles. It'll spread naturally when you compress the heatsink onto it.
    3. Been years since I put a new drive into my ps3, pretty sure it handles it on its own.
    4. Yes static is still a concern. You should constantly discharge yourself as you'll be moving around alot during this process.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

4. Likes Miller6386 wishes they had posted this first.

PSN ID
    brendon7358@gmail.com
    Thermal paste
    Followup, I ended up using arctic silver because the ICDiamond did not come yet, and it was a much easier repair than I expected!, I put a but too much paste on by accident (1.5x pea) so the PS3 is overheating again (not nearly as quick as last time, I can play for 1 hour before it kicks on full before it was around 5 mins) so when the ICDiamond comes I am going to re-do it, if that does not work I will look into water cooling.

HDD
    It worked great! It formatted as soon as I put it in, and only took like 5-10mins. The drive has 920GB of storage and after formatting and system files it had 850GB. Replacing it was very easy, took out the old one took off the metal casing, put the new one in the casing and re-installed it into PS3 (just got PS3 so no storage transfer problems) I used this HDD just in case you want to buy one you know will work.

Blu-Ray drive
    I messed up replacing the blu-ray laser and caused discs to not be inserted correctly and got stuck in there, after 6 hours of trying to re-align it I gave up and bought a new drive for $60 and that worked great.

Future
    If my next thermal paste attempt does not keep the PS3 quiet for at least 5 hours I will look into water cooling or send it to a place like this, if anyone has any info on how to watercool my PS3 (CECHA01) including any of the following (cost, where to get parts, how to etc) let me know. I really need it ready for when GTA V comes out as that's what I got it for and I would rather not be limited as to how long I can play it for, and I really don't want to deal with YLOD after spending so much on this damn thing.

Side-Note
    Because I am a n00b to console gaming, what are some good games?

I have

1. GT5 (GT6 pre-ordered)
    2. Saints Row 3 & 4 (haven't played either of them yet)
    3. GTA V (pre-ordered)

Looking into

1. Skyrim
    2. Red dead redemption
    3. Some sort of FPS such as battlefied, COD etc

Have on another system (so I will probably not get them on PS3 too)

1. GTA IV (PC)
    2. NFS Most wanted (Vita)

I fixed mine but it kept failing after a couple of months untill it wouldnt fix again ;(

Superior Member

thanks
    1. either will work fine.

2. don't go overboard but use enough to thoroughly cover it once the sink is reapplied.

3. yes.

4. yes but it's really not that big of a deal. If you can zap yourself consider grounding yourself before you begin work and you'll be fine.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

Others seem to have covered the rest pretty well, but just to confirm, the PS3 will format the drive for you.I spent an hour formatting my drive on the PC yesterday thinking the pc would be quicker than the PS3. I then put it back in the playstation to be told it needs to format it again. An 80gb drive only took it 7ish minutes to format though which isn't too bad at all.

PSN ID
    B16_BL4CK

How do you get ps3 ver 4.53 out of kios mode? Plz help dont know how to fix.

I have tryed many usb fix methods but cant get it to work
    Last edited by Sony-_-Lover; 12-15-2013 at 19:08.

Thread Information