Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    In any case, i'll be buying the HMZ-T3 day one for those interested
    Not sure if i'll sell my T2 or give it to the family.
    Hello brother!!!

I had the T1 for awhile but with the ever growing family i had to make sacrifices and gaming wasnt an option.. Sony already improved on comfort with the T2 and its only going to get better. If a company can make VR comfy, it will be Sony, but the might come with it.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Yeah, until it's in a contact lense form I won't be caught dead in something so dumb looking.
    Says a grown man playing kids games. hmmm lol...I'm sure you and I and many others do 100's of more embarrassing and stupid things daily than to sit down and put on a headset. IMHO

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have been waiting for VR. But I don't know if they can really do this well...you have to design the console around it or it's pointless.

Superior Member
    We should probably make it clear for people following this thread who don't know. The Sony HMZ products are not VR headsets. They're essentially 3D TVs strapped to your face. The Oculus Rift is a VR headset. Presumably, and hopefully, this new product from Sony for the PS4 would be more like the Oculus and less like the HMZs.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

5. Likes MjW likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    I still don't know what that means lol.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I have been waiting for VR. But I don't know if they can really do this well...you have to design the console around it or it's pointless.
    True, but it's gotta start somewhere. I can't wait for true VR myself. Been wanting it ever since I was a wee one.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I still don't know what that means lol.
    The HMZ is really just like looking at a large 3D TV. There's no head tracking. For watching 3D movies it's great at giving you the sensation that you're looking at a big screen, but that's it. For playing games, it's the same. Turn your head with the HMZ and nothing would happen in the "virtual" game world. As I said, it's as if you're looking at a big 3D TV. It even looks like the screen is a few feet away. But apart from the same kind of 3D effect you get from a 3D TV, it's a static experience.

The Oculus gives you a very powerful stereoscopic 3D effect combined with head tracking, and the image appears to more fully envolope your field of vision. The image appears much closer. In fact, it really comes close to appearing like it is your ordinary visual experience. Turn your head in a "virtual" game world and your vision is 1:1 tracked with where you're looking. It's really an extraordinary experience. It was really a strange experience being "in it" for more than a few minutes the second time I tried it. I can only begin to describe it as my mind loosing track of my physical body, and I began to feel a very real and strange sense of presence in the virtual world.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 09-04-2013 at 00:28.

9. Likes Omar likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    I've tried the T2, and it's cool, but it's honestly not even in the same league in terms of immersion as even the low resolution Oculus dev model. I tried the Oculus a little over a month ago and it was the coolest gaming experience I've ever had, and I immediately ordered a dev kit, which I expect sometime in the next 2 weeks. If Sony can match the immersiveness of the Oculus, then they'll have something.
    I know what you are saying but they are two different fields of view and screens.
    The HMZ-T series is trying to replicate the best cinema experience possible and it does that.

SONY still have a good chance to wow people with a modified T3 and with the PS4 set to be a crazy 100+million unit sellout they could bank big.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    I want to see a good .Hack// MMORPG using this. I can't see it being big until next-next generation of gaming.
    Do not $#@! with my emotions man.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    This is HUGE news!

Veteran
    All the hype is for the Occulus but Sony has had VR goggles for awhile. A lot of people forget that Sony Corp. is a professional corporation that provides medical equipment for hospitals and surgeons. Sony introduced this a few months ago:

http://www.mono-live.com/2013/08/son...-surgeons.html
    Sony unveils a 3D HMD for surgeons

It isn't full field of view because it allows the surgeon to look down on the actual operating area. It's used as a new display for the surgery robot and costs $15,000. The existing Sony VR goggles are about $900. Maybe something is being hinted at for TGS.

Another area showing why Sony are the leader in optics, they are practically all optics already:

http://www.visionmonday.com/eye2/new...content/42582/
    Sony Electronics 3D Ophthalmic Solutions Aid Surgeons
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

yay! so theyre finally going to show the Orbis!
    i remember back during the PLAYSTATION Meeting in february i posted here wondering where the hell it was!
    im guessing Zindagi and various others have been working on Orbis exclusive vr games
    [SIGPIC]http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=196590&dateline=12571 03452[/SIGPIC]I live capriciously...

15. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    The existing Sony VR goggles are about $900. Maybe something is being hinted at for TGS.
    The existing $900 Sony product you're referring to are not VR goggles, as I already explained above, and as anyone who owns them can attest. They're cool for what they're designed for, but they're not designed for VR, and don't provide a VR experience.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I was under the impression Sony was working on developing not just a VR headset but one for use with AR. I could swear I read an article from someone who'd been shown the current prototype AR head mounted display Sony was working on behind closed doors at one of the big conventions last year. The article talked about how the guy thought he was getting a demo from a real person only to watch them turn into a zombie mid presentation. Two of the things the Occulus Rift has really done is suggest one way to make such a device for a reasonable price, instead of using fancy custom display screens the Rift re-purposes existing high def cell phone displays, and show that response time is really important in a gaming VR set up.

Elite Guru
    If Sony end up doing something in the VR field we definitely won't see it this year. They will focus on the pure Ps4 experience before they would dare try and complicate it with a new product already.

Forum Elder
    Im holding out until someone can install a holodeck (from star trek tng) in my home.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

20. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Was always likely Sony had their own version in devlopment. I have big concerns over the rift because I have a squint in one eye. So I really hope Sony's headset is similar to their current HMZ, which wouldn't such an issue as the OR
    My friend has quite a big squint in one of his eyes so he needs to be quite close to the monitor to read anything so 3D doesn't work for him. However he tried the OR at Gamescon and he instantly noticed the 3D, the reason most likely is because you have a separate screen per eye. His squint is inward so I'm not sure if it would be fine for those with an outward squint.

Veteran
    The existing $900 Sony product you're referring to are not VR goggles, as I already explained above, and as anyone who owns them can attest. They're cool for what they're designed for, but they're not designed for VR, and don't provide a VR experience.
    The subject isn't about the existing Sony headset, it's about the next one. The surgeon headset has head tracking. Since Sony is acknowledging it will be going up against the Occulus, it's probably reasonable to expect the next consumer headset will have head tracking.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Watch it turns out Sony teamed up with Oculus Rift on a new VR headset, if that happened I would be doing backflips! It would be a win win if they collaborated together, Sony has some great hardware engineers!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

24. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The HMZ is really just like looking at a large 3D TV. There's no head tracking. For watching 3D movies it's great at giving you the sensation that you're looking at a big screen, but that's it. For playing games, it's the same. Turn your head with the HMZ and nothing would happen in the "virtual" game world. As I said, it's as if you're looking at a big 3D TV. It even looks like the screen is a few feet away. But apart from the same kind of 3D effect you get from a 3D TV, it's a static experience.

The Oculus gives you a very powerful stereoscopic 3D effect combined with head tracking, and the image appears to more fully envolope your field of vision. The image appears much closer. In fact, it really comes close to appearing like it is your ordinary visual experience. Turn your head in a "virtual" game world and your vision is 1:1 tracked with where you're looking. It's really an extraordinary experience. It was really a strange experience being "in it" for more than a few minutes the second time I tried it. I can only begin to describe it as my mind loosing track of my physical body, and I began to feel a very real and strange sense of presence in the virtual world.
    Just strap a Move Controller on top, and you're done

Believe it or not that's not too far fetched if the PS4 had an HDMI Out, you could potentially implement VR on HMZ using the PS4 + Camera and Move Controller to drive the video on the HMZ.

Superior Member
    The subject isn't about the existing Sony headset, it's about the next one. The surgeon headset has head tracking. Since Sony is acknowledging it will be going up against the Occulus, it's probably reasonable to expect the next consumer headset will have head tracking.
    That's right. But you're the one who wrote just a few posts back "The existing Sony VR goggles are about $900." There are no existing consumer Sony VR goggles. The $900 Sony head mounted display product, the only thing you could be referring to, isn't a VR product. As I already explained it's essentially a head mounted 3DTV.

Sony has already demoed a T2 prototype with head tracking, but they've still got some things to work through, things I'm fully confident they can and will address, assuming they're cutting their own path and not striking some deal with the Rift guys. To address what TAZ427 says:

Just strap a Move Controller on top, and you're done
    No, it isn't that simple, and the Oculus team has demonstrated that it definitely is not that simple by creating a product that offers an experience so much better than merely tacking head tracking onto a head mounted display. There are optical issues you have to address, and, just as importantly, there are serious latency issues you have to address.

If you get the chance, try a Sony HMZ-T2 with TrackIR, which will give you some head tracking, and then try an Oculus Rift. The gap in immersion between the two is vast and demonstrates that you've have to do more than strap motion tracking onto existing systems.

Apprentice
    You said exactly this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk
    The existing Sony VR goggles are about $900.

He was replying directly to that post of yours, correcting your misinformation.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I will be happy when they get it to the point of The lawnmower man scene where they are racing.... It still looks awesome when watching it.

Master Guru
    Virtual reality huh? Is there anything the PS4 can't do?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Virtual reality huh? Is there anything the PS4 can't do?
    I am now just waiting for the "Make Me A Sandwich" app for it!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Thread Information