Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA

Sony set to go big with virtual reality on PlayStation 4

From: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-playstation-4

Sony plans to enter the virtual reality gaming space in a big way with PlayStation 4, Eurogamer can reveal.

Amid the growing popularity of the Oculus Rift VR headset among the development community and a small number of gamers, Sony has been working on a rival device for its next-gen console, and it is on track to be revealed in 2014.

Multiple sources have indicated to Eurogamer that Sony's VR headset will work similarly to Oculus'. Internally, the device has been demonstrated with Evolution Studios' PS4 racer DriveClub, with players able to look around the $#@!pit of a car.

Evolution's involvement comes as no surprise - the Liverpool studio is home to the Worldwide Studios Stereoscopic 3D team, which has worked on 3D game development since 2008. The team, and 3D chief Mick Hocking, have been relatively quiet since PlayStation's ill-fated 3D push in 2011.

Sony also has form with headmounted displays. The 1000 HMZ-T2 is a personal 3D viewer that can be used with 3D games and HD movies. It includes an OLED 720p panel for each eye that renders 3D pictures in high-contrast detail. Eurogamer reviewed its predecessor, the HMZ-T1, in late 2011. The Oculus Rift performs much better than the HMZ-T2 for games, and Sony hopes to one-up the rival device with its own offering.

Eurogamer understands Sony's VR headset was set to appear in some form at German show Gamescom last week, but was pulled. We now expect it to be unveiled next year.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida declined to comment when asked about VR in an interview with Eurogamer at Gamescom. "We don't talk about that," was all he'd say. This week Sony Computer Entertainment Europe declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

Meanwhile, Eurogamer has heard that Oculus, maker of Oculus Rift, has attracted a number of potential suitors who are interested in buying the company, but it remains resistant to the idea while it continues to work towards the release of the long-awaited consumer version.

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey told Eurogamer in a recent interview: "As far as getting acquired: that's not on the table.

"If people like Microsoft and Sony did come out and make their own head-mounted display, though, it would really just validate the market," he added. "There's certainly room for more than just one person in this market. Right now we're the only people in it. It would just show that VR really is - that it's important and it's here to stay."

At Gamescom, where Oculus showed off the HD version of its Rift headset, we asked COO Laird Malamed what he'd think if Microsoft or Sony entered the VR headset market. He replied: "They're big companies with lots of resources. For us we'd say good. With John Carmack coming over as our CTO, we've had a great Kickstarter campaign, they continue to be great supporters, but we're still a start-up.

"VR's had a lot of failures in the past, and so the more people that enter the market is good because developers that ultimately have to develop the content, they know they'll have people playing their games which is better for all of us."

There also remains the possibility that both Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony may facilitate Oculus Rift compatibility with their consoles, and Oculus is often asked about potential deals with first parties.

"They're a little busy," Malamed told Eurogamer. "We've chatted, but they're trying to bring their new consoles out. It's a possibility - it would work. It's the same thing as iOS - it could technically work, but the business side isn't there."

Veteran
    I'm still not so sure about people being ready for something like this, and it will probably come at a high price so that makes it even harder to reach the masses. But color me interested on this.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Until it comes in a sleeker package at least the general public won't embrace it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

I would have thought it would be MS going down that route, that would finally be an interesting use for kinect.
    Come up with force feedback gloves and it's lawnmower man.

Moderator Note: Please no fanboy terminology (M$, Xbot, $ony, etc). Thank you.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 09-03-2013 at 16:45.
    WOOF! WOOF!

PSU Live Streamer
    I'd like to check it out some day, see how cool it is. I can't imagine it's something I'd ever adapt as a staple of my gaming experience though.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Elder
    I have been waiting patiently for years.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    If it's just as magical as the Oculus Rift is...then sign me up!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

8. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Until it comes in a sleeker package at least the general public won't embrace it.
    The public in a sense have already embraced SONY's HMZ-T2. I have one and it's bat **** crazy.

This is supposedly the T3, improving on comfort yet again with wireless playback!!!

If this is legit, SONY is on fire like its 1999.
    Last edited by mickice; 09-03-2013 at 16:52.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Live Streamer
    Have you tried the rift? If so, how is it?

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    If they can get the price cheap enough then I can see this taking off.

Forum Elder
    Can you imagine an ace combat vr game? Damn.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I want to see a good .Hack// MMORPG using this. I can't see it being big until next-next generation of gaming.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I'm pretty interested in OR, and they're aiming for a relatively affordable price for the consumer edition - so hopefully this isn't completely off the table.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    In any case, i'll be buying the HMZ-T3 day one for those interested
    Not sure if i'll sell my T2 or give it to the family.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    In any case, i'll be buying the HMZ-T3 day one for those interested
    Not sure if i'll sell my T2 or give it to the family.
    How is it? I've never had the opportunity to try it.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'll be waiting until the following items can be said about a VR platform. < $100 console add-on, > 10 games that I actually would be interested in playing, wireless, battery life of > 5hrs.

I may be waiting a long time, but I still see this as being limited to a very Niche market until those objectives are met. Until then I'll continue to be happy playing on the big screen.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Nothing new at all... I remember many companies trying this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Like other says, if they can get the cost of items like this down and the tech is in fact good, then this would be real good, but personally i still think we are at lest a gen away from this type of thing still.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Yeah, until it's in a contact lense form I won't be caught dead in something so dumb looking.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Google glass's would be a perfect touch for sony to do this.. Their own Sony Glass's for Virtually Gaming
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Was always likely Sony had their own version in devlopment. I have big concerns over the rift because I have a squint in one eye. So I really hope Sony's headset is similar to their current HMZ, which wouldn't such an issue as the OR

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    It would be so sweet to play Wipeout with a VR headset. All those steep drops would make my stomach rise up a bit. I really want this to happen for games like Wipeout and whatever else. This would be a day 1 sale if it's priced right.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    The public in a sense have already embraced SONY's HMZ-T2. I have one and it's bat **** crazy.

This is supposedly the T3, improving on comfort yet again with wireless playback!!!

If this is legit, SONY is on fire like its 1999.
    I've tried the T2, and it's cool, but it's honestly not even in the same league in terms of immersion as even the low resolution Oculus dev model. I tried the Oculus a little over a month ago and it was the coolest gaming experience I've ever had, and I immediately ordered a dev kit, which I expect sometime in the next 2 weeks. If Sony can match the immersiveness of the Oculus, then they'll have something.
    i7 4770 | EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 32GB
    i7 3770 |
    EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 16GB

26. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flasheart View Post
    I would have thought it would be MS going down that route, that would finally be an interesting use for kinect.
    Come up with force feedback gloves and it's lawnmower man.

Moderator Note: Please no fanboy terminology (M$, Xbot, $ony, etc). Thank you.
    meh. MS has it's plate full already with Kinect and the whole TV thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    I've tried the T2, and it's cool, but it's honestly not even in the same league in terms of immersion as even the low resolution Oculus dev model. I tried the Oculus a little over a month ago and it was the coolest gaming experience I've ever had, and I immediately ordered a dev kit, which I expect sometime in the next 2 weeks. If Sony can match the immersiveness of the Oculus, then they'll have something.
    Oh man, I hope Oculus will make it. With so many people impressed by it, I'm very curious to say the least.
    Can't wait to play a Dead Space with an Oculus like device. Bring the future already!
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Have you tried the rift? If so, how is it?
    Its amazing man really good, I also tried it at Siggraph on a virtual architectural walk-through. Had a remote to grab things too, pretty cool just sit down if you ever try it.

Thread Information