Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Gaikai on PlayStation 4 Encountering Issues in Europe

source:
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/0...sues-in-europe

Sony has revealed that Gaikai's PlayStation 4 launch window in Europe is unclear due to broadband issues.

In an interview with Edge, SCEE president and CEO Jim Ryan explained that while the service will arrive in North America in early 2014, it may be some time before Europe gets to experience the benefits of the cloud-streaming service.

"So the plan is to begin with North America next year and the plan is to provide a streaming service that will allow for PS3 content initially to be streamed to firstly PS4 then PS Vita and then PS3," he said.

"And so that will happen in 2014 in North America initially. Now, and I touched upon these issues of broadband in Europe during the presentation - Europe is of course on the roadmap for that service to be deployed at some point in the future, but for reasons outside of our control we don't yet have a timeline for it."

Ryan admitted this was largely why no mention of Gaikai was made during Sony's Gamescom presentation, as it seemed incongruous to discuss a feature that they couldn't pin down a launch window for.

"At a show which is now pretty global in its reach but primarily aimed at a European audience, we didn't really want to start talking about the virtues of this great cloud-based service without knowing exactly when it'll come to Europe," he admitted.

"We've got a roadmap, there's just a few bumps along the road that need to be ironed out."

Sony acquired Gaikai last year for a reported cost of $380 million, before announcing at the PlayStation 4 reveal event in February that the service will provide a range of features including instant demos, remote play of PS4 games on Vita and, crucially, the prospect of backwards compatibility by allowing legacy PlayStation titles to be played on the new console.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I wonder what these issues are.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not surprised. Bandwidth is gonna continue to be an issue.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I'm not surprised. Bandwidth is gonna continue to be an issue.
    And don't forget Mr. Latency! I am still taking the stand back and watch approach to all this cloud based stuff, Gaikai included...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    That's cool, I'll just use my US account, SCEE always fucks up with services. Remember how long it took for the Video Store to hit Europe? Most EU countries STILL don't have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    That's cool, I'll just use my US account, SCEE always fucks up with services. Remember how long it took for the Video Store to hit Europe? Most EU countries STILL don't have that.
    It's not really that SCEE messed up its more due to real world things that effect a lot of things within EU, Laws, Contracts with company's in each region, SCEE likely have 10 times more work to do than say SCEA.

The problem with this is why some parts of the EU have great Internet whats fast, that fact alone can have a real bad effect on Bandwidth because lines are being maxed out, where in the US the avg speed is lower and they have more free Bandwidth in there networks than parts of EU have, So SCEE will have to do deals likely with company's to get access to more Bandwidth from data centers and so on.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I get that but SCEE has messed up A LOT with PSN in terms of PS Store, and something like this probably gonna have more than enough problems. Their PSN team is terrible at what they do. One screw up I remember is when they updated the PS Store and priced Vice City Stories as free before going home for the night, by the time they corrected it the next morning thousands had downloaded it and losing R* craptons, which no doubt someone at SCEE got called into the office, and just last month again with the GTAV leaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Isn't Sony teaming up with certain services to boost EU Internet service or designate a certain amount just for gaming?
    Anyone know what I'm talking about here?
    Maybe there having issues with that because maybe they can't use Gaikai without it since the EU Internet isn't as fast as it needs to be.
    Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass? Lol. I'm just going off memory here.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I get that but SCEE has messed up A LOT with PSN in terms of PS Store, and something like this probably gonna have more than enough problems. Their PSN team is terrible at what they do. One screw up I remember is when they updated the PS Store and priced Vice City Stories as free before going home for the night, by the time they corrected it the next morning thousands had downloaded it and losing R* craptons, which no doubt someone at SCEE got called into the office, and just last month again with the GTAV leaks.
    Damn where the hell was I when this happend

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    Isn't Sony teaming up with certain services to boost EU Internet service or designate a certain amount just for gaming?
    Maybe there having issues with that because maybe they can't use Gaikai without it since the EU Internet isn't as fast as it needs to be.
    In the UK they have teamed up with Virgin Media, this is likely the types of deals they need to get in place with other areas of the EU.

Some parts of the EU have real fast Internet, problem is our networks used that much it limits the total bandwidth left over and if you get 1000's or more all asking the network for a mass of bandwidth for games the speeds will drop and you get bad pings as the network becomes overloaded.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Not really surprised, but it doesn't mean that this feature wont ever come to Europe and that it wont be functional. Just takes time.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Birch View Post
    In the UK they have teamed up with Virgin Media, this is likely the types of deals they need to get in place with other areas of the EU.

Some parts of the EU have real fast Internet, problem is our networks used that much it limits the total bandwidth left over and if you get 1000's or more all asking the network for a mass of bandwidth for games the speeds will drop and you get bad pings as the network becomes overloaded.
    Sony's Gaikai isnt going to cripple the entire internet network of Europe.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    And don't forget Mr. Latency! I am still taking the stand back and watch approach to all this cloud based stuff, Gaikai included...
    That's probably just one of the issues. I bet there are some server/data center issues there too.

Dedicated Member
    I dont care, I am not buying a PS4 to play PS3 games on.
    PSN = prison_inmate

15. Likes Zswordsman, Captncoke49 wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshark View Post
    I dont care, I am not buying a PS4 to play PS3 games on.
    This man has a legit point.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Damn governments with people that don't understand the internet. :/
    We are so close to an election in Oz with one guy offering Fiber Optic and the other Copper.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    It can't be the internet. Many EU countries are on fibre optics with speeds up to 1Gbit. At least here in northern EU anyway.

I think as other suspected this must have to do more with the various differences in laws across the EU and localisation.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Behold...THE INTERNET!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

20. Likes Admartian , shepard wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Word of warning

22. Likes BBK.. , Admartian , MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    The UK is taking ages over getting Fibe Optic installed everywhere and it's a measly ~76Gb at that. My town has only just received fibre and it's currently only in half of the town. What really irks me though is that my neighbour is on a different box to my line and he already has fibre and I can't get it yet for another 2 months...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Behold...THE INTERNET!

Loved that episode of the IT Crowd. xD

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    The usa is really have problems getting FO in here. I think it's because of Comcast and a few other big broadband companies that are most likely paying off certain people or whatever. Something is definitely going on. you guys over there get this stuff for dirt cheap. I get a 15mb connection and it costs me like $70 a month. I hope that really soon comcast/Xfinite crashes & burns.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    For me Gaikai will just be a sweet bonus if it works. Even if Gaikai is a complete flop and doesn't work, the PS4 will still be freakin awesome.

Veteran
    Of course this was going to happen, and not just in Europe as I'm sure there's plenty of countries with not enough bandwidth.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    The UK is taking ages over getting Fibe Optic installed everywhere and it's a measly ~76Gb at that. My town has only just received fibre and it's currently only in half of the town. What really irks me though is that my neighbour is on a different box to my line and he already has fibre and I can't get it yet for another 2 months...

Loved that episode of the IT Crowd. xD
    BT are doing trials to increase the fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) from 76 to 100 or more.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ing-trial.html

Also BT did roll out FTTP 160Mbit for a limited time last year and the people int hat trial were reporting speeds up to 300mbit. Holland already has such speeds
    Last edited by keefy; 09-04-2013 at 22:52.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Damn governments with people that don't understand the internet. :/
    We are so close to an election in Oz with one guy offering Fiber Optic and the other Copper.
    Doesn't matter I already got fibre optic installed in my area, one of the first suburbs in SA to get the NBN, speeds range from 38 Mbps to 102mbps download and upload is anywhere from 1.5mbps to 32mbps upload, we're not hitting the fastest speeds in Australia but we're fast enough for these services.

What Sony is more than likely saying is they don't have enough local servers installed in every country to be able to accommodate the GaiKai service. Personally I don't give a frigg about PS3 games on my PS4 as long as my PS4 can be played via remote play around the house I'm happy.

Sony will more than likely offer poor and/or inferior online services to Australian PS4 users to begin with. It took Sony until 2010 to offer decent PS3 services IMHO.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Thread Information