Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72
  1. #26
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Nah.... Sony wouldn't do that cuz Sony fans would rip them a new one. Hell... if they rip Microsoft for having a power brick in a console they were never gonna buy in the first place..... just imagine the $#@! Sony would get!


    Power bricks have 2 big advantages..... they don't add heat to the inside of the console and are far easier to replace then internal power supplies in the event they stop working.

    Knowing the Xbox One's huge fan doesn't have to account for the power supply's heat makes me much more confident about the console's reliability.
    They also likely cost less, something a lot of people overlook.

  2. #27
    Dedicated Member
    Sajuuk Khar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,464
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    9,896 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Nah.... Sony wouldn't do that cuz Sony fans would rip them a new one. Hell... if they rip Microsoft for having a power brick in a console they were never gonna buy in the first place..... just imagine the $#@! Sony would get!


    Power bricks have 2 big advantages..... they don't add heat to the inside of the console and are far easier to replace then internal power supplies in the event they stop working.

    Knowing the Xbox One's huge fan doesn't have to account for the power supply's heat makes me much more confident about the console's reliability.
    Internal and External both have trade offs. External, like you said, removes the heat it generates and allows easier repair. But does increase points of failure which cable connections wearing out from being wound up around the power supply while moving, quality of the cables and supplier have the greater affect on that though. Though being external allows for easy replacement, but then also being a proprietary cable/connection means you can only use the supplied cable. Internals though (not just a comparison between the consoles but also consumer electronics in general) use standardised cables. The cable that comes with the ps3 of any model could be used in anything else with the same plug and vise-versa.
    This is just one area that Sony has a strong advantage though. They have decades of knowledge on designing and building electronics which all required a power supply to be integrated some how. So I would say its not so much that they wouldn't use an external brick, but more that they just don't have.


    But yeah that fan in the X1 should keep things pretty cool, or at the very least maintain good air flow to transport the heat out as fast as possible.

  3. #28
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,976
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    155,775 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    They also likely cost less, something a lot of people overlook.
    Probably, but me personally if I am paying $400-500 for a piece of electronics I want it to looks look nice and not require a power brick. Imagine if every piece of electronics you bought had a power brick versus an internal power supply...TV's, DVR's, A/V Receivers...I guarantee if that happened people would be singing a different tune...hell, I couldn't stand that the SNES and Genesis had wall warts back in the day, that drove me nuts!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  4. #29
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,342
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    65,531 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Nice bump. The Xbox One performance is pretty damn sweet. Beast! Love it.
    I don't know what this bump really means for performance but it can't be bad. This something that they've probably been working on for quite a while. They really customized this thing.

  5. #30
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Probably, but me personally if I am paying $400-500 for a piece of electronics I want it to looks look nice and not require a power brick. Imagine if every piece of electronics you bought had a power brick versus an internal power supply...TV's, DVR's, A/V Receivers...I guarantee if that happened people would be singing a different tune...hell, I couldn't stand that the SNES and Genesis had wall warts back in the day, that drove me nuts!
    #1: Why does it matter? The powerbrick will likely be stashed away behind the tv/furniture and never seen again?

    #2: Why does nobody complain about this with laptops? Especially the ones that cost well over 1000 dollars.

  6. #31
    Apprentice
    on the rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    1,308 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Forum» Microsoft Xbox Chat» Xbox One» 150Mhz CPU boost...

    it may be PlayStation Universe. but it's not the PlayStation forum.
    its still a playstation centric forum with loads of ps fans. I just don't get it. The thought never crossed my mind to go to Xbox universe to discuss playstation. And if I did I would expect huge amounts of ps bashing and Xbox bias.

  7. #32
    Apprentice
    on the rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    1,308 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1: Why does it matter? The powerbrick will likely be stashed away behind the tv/furniture and never seen again?

    #2: Why does nobody complain about this with laptops? Especially the ones that cost well over 1000 dollars.
    #1 because I already have enough mess with all the cables from my av set up

    #2 because its just a charger that can be removed and laptops are portable devices that need to be as small and light as possible so taking the power supply out makes sense.

  8. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  9. #33
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    When I had my 360 the power brick was never a big deal. Once I set everything up I barely noticed it. As for this upclock I'm not sure how much of a real world performance increase we'll actually see.

  10. #34
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,976
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    155,775 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1: Why does it matter? The powerbrick will likely be stashed away behind the tv/furniture and never seen again?

    #2: Why does nobody complain about this with laptops? Especially the ones that cost well over 1000 dollars.
    #1 It is just more $#@! I have to hide and creates more clutter.

    #2 Laptops are portable and are meant to be traveled with, which in that case I am ok with it, but if my desktop PC had an external power brick that I had to deal with as well, I would be hyper pissed!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  11. #35
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    its still a playstation centric forum with loads of ps fans. I just don't get it. The thought never crossed my mind to go to Xbox universe to discuss playstation. And if I did I would expect huge amounts of ps bashing and Xbox bias.
    Yep, a very simple concept that certain members still fail to grasp. I sure wouldn't choose to go to TXB to discuss Playstation despite the fact that they have a section for it. And understandably the Xbox fans there are very vocal in that section too.

  12. #36
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    #1 because I already have enough mess with all the cables from my av set up

    #2 because its just a charger that can be removed and laptops are portable devices that need to be as small and light as possible so taking the power supply out makes sense.
    #1: Learn to cable management, bro.

    #2: That doesn't make much sense. Have you seen what the ps3's internal psu looks like? It is very small. Not to mention it was rated for 380W, pretty much all laptops use a lot less that that (so it could possibly be made even smaller).

    Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the things you need to carry with you for a portable device?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    #1 It is just more $#@! I have to hide and creates more clutter.

    #2 Laptops are portable and are meant to be traveled with, which in that case I am ok with it, but if my desktop PC had an external power brick that I had to deal with as well, I would be hyper pissed!
    Read my response to OTR.

  13. #37
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    I haven't seen my Xbox power brick since I bought my Xbox.

  14. #38
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,938
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    9,415 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Forum» Microsoft Xbox Chat» Xbox One» 150Mhz CPU boost...

    it may be PlayStation Universe. but it's not the PlayStation forum.
    You forgot the first part www.PSU.com as in PLAYSTATION UNIVERSE.

    9 years and counting!

  15. Likes Mo-green28 likes this post
  16. #39
    Apprentice
    on the rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    1,308 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1: Learn to cable management, bro.

    #2: That doesn't make much sense. Have you seen what the ps3's internal psu looks like? It is very small. Not to mention it was rated for 380W, pretty much all laptops use a lot less that that (so it could possibly be made even smaller).

    Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the things you need to carry with you for a portable device?



    Read my response to OTR.
    i know how to manage cables bro, but with 7 power cords, 6 speaker cables and assorted hdmi and other digital cables the last thing I need is a power brick. And I have seen a ps3 power supply and no way is it fitting in a laptop.

  17. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  18. #40
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You forgot the first part www.PSU.com as in PLAYSTATION UNIVERSE.

    apologies...

    i am removing the post, as it would derail the thread.

    if it is being replied to, please do that same courtesy and refrain from derailing!

    Sorry
    Last edited by Cuguy; 09-04-2013 at 20:35.

  19. #41
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    84
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Increasing speeds typically causes the yield to drop, and can cause problems with heat owing to the additional power draw. According to Anandtech's analysis of the Jaguar CPU hardware utilised by the next-gen consoles, a 25 per cent boost to CPU speed results in a 66 per cent increase in power consumption and 1.6GHz - the clock speed for PlayStation 4 - is thought to be the sweet spot in terms of performance per watt for the architecture. The fact that Microsoft has managed to extract that extra performance speaks to the efficiency of the console's cooling assembly and internal airflow. Similar performance increases with PlayStation 4 are unlikely owing to the much smaller casing. DF
    damn

  20. #42
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,938
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    9,415 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    a 25 per cent boost to CPU speed results in a 66 per cent increase in power consumption
    This seems like a HUGE percentage increase. I am assuming they have tested this in depth as upping the percentage of power by 66% would (in my opinion) create much more heat inside the box. This scares me a little.

    9 years and counting!

  21. #43
    Dedicated Member
    Ragnorok64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    This is definitely a case where when companies have healthy competition the consumer wins.

    Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

  22. #44
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,039
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,685 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    i know how to manage cables bro, but with 7 power cords, 6 speaker cables and assorted hdmi and other digital cables the last thing I need is a power brick. And I have seen a ps3 power supply and no way is it fitting in a laptop.
    I would like to see a picture of your setup.

  23. #45
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,293
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    51,186 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Power bricks have 2 big advantages..... they don't add heat to the inside of the console and are far easier to replace then internal power supplies in the event they stop working.

    Knowing the Xbox One's huge fan doesn't have to account for the power supply's heat makes me much more confident about the console's reliability.
    Putting them at the exhaust end of the airflow resolves this very easily. The power supplies can handle much higher air temps and stay within operational ranges.

    A well designed power supply should be one of the lowest likelihood of failure items inside a console.

    From a thermo modeling perspective putting the power supplies down stream of the APU resolves the issue. And there's a ton of unoptimized space sitting inside the XB1's chasis from the IGN teardown pics. It's just a shame that they didn't integrate the power supply and left so much wasted space inside the chasis while doing so.



  24. #46
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,976
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    155,775 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1: Learn to cable management, bro.

    #2: That doesn't make much sense. Have you seen what the ps3's internal psu looks like? It is very small. Not to mention it was rated for 380W, pretty much all laptops use a lot less that that (so it could possibly be made even smaller).

    Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the things you need to carry with you for a portable device?



    Read my response to OTR.
    I do cable manage, and very well I might add, but I still wouldn't want to deal with a big ass power brick when I am trying to make everything look neat and tidy!

    Yes the power supply in the PS3 is very small, but adding that to a laptop would still add unnecessary weight and space into the laptop, just go look at an ultrabook...

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  25. #47
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    15,216
    Rep Power
    116
    Points
    42,812 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Putting them at the exhaust end of the airflow resolves this very easily. The power supplies can handle much higher air temps and stay within operational ranges.

    A well designed power supply should be one of the lowest likelihood of failure items inside a console.

    From a thermo modeling perspective putting the power supplies down stream of the APU resolves the issue. And there's a ton of unoptimized space sitting inside the XB1's chasis from the IGN teardown pics. It's just a shame that they didn't integrate the power supply and left so much wasted space inside the chasis while doing so.
    Haven't you heard? That extra space is for a second SoC!

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

  26. #48
    Apprentice
    on the rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    1,308 (0 Banked)
    image.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I would like to see a picture of your setup.
    Crappy pic I just took with my ipad. Missing from pic is a b&k reference 2220 power amp I recently took out because I downsized my speakers from snell xa60's to nht classic 3's I may put it back in though. And the hdmi and power cable to the tv aren't in wall yet because I recently switched walls so I could get more speaker separation and I'm not sure I want to keep it there yet. Also not seen are definitive technologies pro monitor 800 surround speakers.
    Last edited by on the rocks; 09-05-2013 at 00:46.

  27. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  28. #49
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    208,875 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This makes more sense than the s/a claim.

  29. #50
    Forum Guru
    Beast of Bourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blighttown
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,510
    Rep Power
    78
    Points
    12,630 (0 Banked)
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Ok it's been a while till i checked this thread but tbh i don't know why an external "power brick" could be a problem.

    I am going to be honest, i wasn't going to buy a xb1 no matter what because i already invested too much into the ps universe but the powerbrick isn't going to make a difference no matter how you look at it.

    My current notebook needs a HUGE power brick to keep it runnning because it has an i7 and a rad8970m but i never thought about it as a "negative" for just one second - it just doesn't matter.

    All that's left to say is - the xb1 will get a little power increase - good for them - peace out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.