Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    damn
    Speed increase is always good. But 66 percent rise in power consumption seems very risky for heat. But with the very open design shouldn't be much of a problem. As for the power brick, I never was a fan of it. For one my entertainment center in my room is pretty tall so I can see over my bed. When I had my 360 it partially dangled and had a lot of tension on it. Always worried me that it was going to break my power input. Fortunately they designed it where it locks in. Another instance I hated it was bringing it places. Needed a separate bag for the going lol.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    That power increase of 66% is for a 25% increase in clock. X1 only got a 9.3% increase so its all good

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    On that makes sense. I guess I was confused. Still crazy nonetheless that that much of a speed increase raises power consumption that much.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Yeah back on topic I don't know how much difference a 150 MHz bump will make but it certainly is a positive for the xbone. Every little bit helps.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Ok it's been a while till i checked this thread but tbh i don't know why an external "power brick" could be a problem.

I am going to be honest, i wasn't going to buy a xb1 no matter what because i already invested too much into the ps universe but the powerbrick isn't going to make a difference no matter how you look at it.

My current notebook needs a HUGE power brick to keep it runnning because it has an i7 and a rad8970m but i never thought about it as a "negative" for just one second - it just doesn't matter.

All that's left to say is - the xb1 will get a little power increase - good for them - peace out.
    Its not a problem, not in the slightest, its just in this day and age myself and some others expect the power supply integrated into a home console or home computer system especially given their sizes.

Of course a portable computer doesn't have the power supply integrated into the chassis.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-05-2013 at 05:38.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1: Why does it matter? The powerbrick will likely be stashed away behind the tv/furniture and never seen again?
    Why does anything matter?

#2: Why does nobody complain about this with laptops? Especially the ones that cost well over 1000 dollars.
    Laptops are rechargeable and have a different purpose than consoles (the reason people don't complain as much.)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That extra 150Mhz should get our messages to our friends on time. Otherwise... meh.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    150MHz is the speed of a Pentium pro way back in the 90s.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That extra 150Mhz should get our messages to our friends on time. Otherwise... meh.
    Pretty much...but I really want to say: I $#@!ing love the new avatar man <thumbsup>

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its not a problem, not in the slightest, its just in this day and age myself and some others expect the power supply integrated into a home console or home computer system especially given their sizes.

Of course a portable computer doesn't have the power supply integrated into the chassis.
    The reason for an external power supply is simply to save money. I assume that it also lowers the final price of the console. XB1 might have been even more expensive if it had an internal power supply.
    Why spend all these $$ to research and include a PSU and an improved cooling system to counter the temp increase, when you can just have an external PSU.
    That does lower the premium of the console, but most don't care about a power brick in a toy. I'm just glad the only power bricks in my home theatre are MS's and Nintendo's. I certainly wouldn't like to have 5 bricks to hide. lol

Remembering the RRoD makes you wonder how much money did they intend save with the 360 anyway.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    150MHz is the speed of a Pentium pro way back in the 90s.
    So what your telling me is that someone can play Battle Chess (VGA version of course!) while also playing Titanfall? Nice!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Why does anything matter?

Laptops are rechargeable and have a different purpose than consoles (the reason people don't complain as much.)
    So you are telling me it makes more sense to have a power brick for a mobile device rather than for a stationary device?

Totally makes sense.....

Dedicated Member
    So you are telling me it makes more sense to have a power brick for a mobile device rather than for a stationary device?

Totally makes sense.....
    Mobile devices can operate independently from their power brick.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

14. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost

Totally makes sense.....
    yes because you can unplug the brick and take the portable device (less the heft and size of brick) with you.

also I edited my post on page 2 with the pic you requested.

16. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Attachment 5326

Crappy pic I just took with my ipad. Missing from pic is a b&k reference 2220 power amp I recently took out because I downsized my speakers from snell xa60's to nht classic 3's I may put it back in though. And the hdmi and power cable to the tv aren't in wall yet because I recently switched walls so I could get more speaker separation and I'm not sure I want to keep it there yet. Also not seen are definitive technologies pro monitor 800 surround speakers.
    Nice setup! What gauge are those speaker wires?! Looks like you could jump start a car with them! I will have to post a pic of my living room setup after I get done with the revamp, I am currently installing a floating entertainment center and I am waiting on cables/wallplates/etc. from monoprice still!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Nice setup! What gauge are those speaker wires?! Looks like you could jump start a car with them! I will have to post a pic of my living room setup after I get done with the revamp, I am currently installing a floating entertainment center and I am waiting on cables/wallplates/etc. from monoprice still!
    i was trying to upload a picture of the cables I took off my old speakers so you could see really big cables but it says I need 1320 points to upload. I didn't know you need points to upload pics on this site. Any way you can look up straight wire serenade.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
    Mobile devices can operate independently from their power brick.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    yes because you can unplug the brick and take the portable device (less the heft and size of brick) with you.

also I edited my post on page 2 with the pic you requested.
    Yeah, but how many laptops have a decent enough battery life that you could get away without having the powerbrick for a ~days worth of use?

Hell SFF computers like the alienware x1 have an external brick, and I didn't really hear any complaints about that.

Hmm I see you wall mounted your tv. But I don't really see the issue with your setup. You could just place the X1 on top of the other side of the cabinet. You would then put the brick behind the cabinet. Nice and simple. Or you could place the brick to the side of the cabinet. Either way I don't really see the issue. It's not like you have many devices with their own powerbricks placed all over. Also the X1 brick seems to be a bit smaller than the one that shipped with the original 360 (possibly even smaller than the 360 slim brick as well).

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I'm sure I could work it out but everything plugs into the box on the bottom right. It's my surge protector.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    So what your telling me is that someone can play Battle Chess (VGA version of course!) while also playing Titanfall? Nice!
    Dude we were playing Dungeon Keeper, Tomb Raider and Quake 2 on p pro 150's.
    Last edited by mynd; 09-05-2013 at 20:58.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    So i guess this is about a 10% increase.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Dude we were playing Dungeon Keeper, Tomb Raider and Quake 2 on p pro 150's.
    Same here! I know Battle Chess was more for the 486/66 days! I still remember getting my 3dFX Voodoo1 board (and yes I still actually have it) with its whopping 4MB of RAM and playing Tomb Raider! My how times have changed!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    So i guess this is about a 10% increase.
    Seems to be. 9. Whatever in my book is 10.

Thread Information