Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

London skyscraper melting cars and setting buildings on fire?

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-l...ire-8C11069092

London isn't famous for hot weather, but that may change soon, and not because of global warming: The design of a new skyscraper in the city is melting cars and setting buildings on fire.

"It's absolutely ruined," Martin Lindsay told the BBC, referring to his Jaguar XJ. Lindsay had the misfortune of parking his luxury car across the street from the office building for an hour; the Jaguar now has melted panels, mirrors and other parts. "You can't believe something like this would happen. They've got to do something about it."

Local shopkeepers have complained about carpets catching fire and smoldering front doors. A restaurant owner told London news site City A.M. that slate tiles on his doorstep had shattered in the heat.

The building — designed by internationally renowned architect Rafael Vi˝oly — is a dramatic edifice with curved exterior walls. Built at 20 Fenchurch Street in London's financial center, the 38-story skyscraper is known locally as "the Walkie-Talkie" for its unusual shape.

But that curvilinear shape is exactly what's causing the problem: The south-facing exterior wall is covered in reflective glass, and because it's concave, it focuses the sun's rays onto a small area, not unlike the way a magnifying glass directs sunbeams onto a superhot pinpoint of light.

James Keaveney of the University of Durham's Atomic and Molecular Physics department told City A.M. that the inward curve of the wall is an inherent flaw in the building's design. "It's a concave shape, so it's going to have a focusing effect on the light that is reflected from it."

That same concave shape has been used in the design of solar power plants. A solar dish in New Mexico contains 82 mirrors that focus sunlight onto an engine that contains hydrogen. As the gas expands and contracts from heating and cooling, that motion drives pistons that power a generator that creates electricity.

"There's (also) a power station in Spain that works on this principle," Keaveney said. "They have an array of mirrors that focuses light into a central pillar — if it's 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit), you could get solar panels and get some energy out of it."

This isn't the first time Vi˝oly's architecture has raised eyebrows as well as temperatures: His Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas has been criticized for directing sunbeams onto the swimming pool deck that are hot enough to melt plastic and singe people's hair. The hotspot became known as the "Vdara death ray."

The Vdara mitigated the "death ray" with larger sun umbrellas, but fixing the problem in London might take a lot more work. "There are examples in the past where an architect has had to rebuild the fašade," Philip Oldfield, an expert in tall buildings at the University of Nottingham's Department of Architecture, told City A.M. "If this is serious, then I dread to think how expensive it will be."
    That's actually amazing imo. Watch some odd inventions start to crop up which this will inspire.

Forum Elder
    I use to melt ants with a magnifying glass as a kid. Slugs too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I use to melt ants with a magnifying glass as a kid. Slugs too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Burning ants stink like $#@!, lol.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yep its true.
    Imagine how bad it would be ina a place where the sun does shine fopr longer hn a couple of hours.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-05-2013 at 02:08.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-l...ire-8C11069092

That's actually amazing imo. Watch some odd inventions start to crop up which this will inspire.
    British Engineering.

Thread Information