Forum Elder

Xbox One cloud could "absolutely" support Gaikai-style game streaming, say MS.

Microsoft's planning and marketing director Albert Penello has told Gamespot that streaming games from servers to your screen is perfectly possible, but that Microsoft needs to work out the cost and decide upon implementation first.

"Yeah, absolutely," he said, when the site asked whether Microsoft might follow in the footsteps of Sony, which will allow players to stream PS3 games to their PS4s (assuming various launch day niggles are sorted out, anyway). "That's one of the things that makes [the cloud] at the same time both totally interesting and hard to describe to people

"Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin," he admitted. "When you say to the customer, we want the box to be connected, we want developers to know that the cloud is there. We're really not trying to make up some phony thing."

There's been cynicism about Xbox One's cloud support, which Microsoft has described as "limitless" - detractors have taken issue with claims that it effectively represents additional RAM for the machine, pointing out that broadband latency renders this "extra memory" useless for tasks such as graphics rendering. Microsoft has acknowledged this, but insists that it's perfectly possible to run AI, physics calculations and other, less time-critical tasks on servers, freeing up box-side resources for other jobs. Here's Respawn Entertainment with more on that.

"There are so many things that the servers can do," Penello went on. "Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box. We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience."

There's also the worry that games that rely on Xbox One cloud support will become unplayable as and when Microsoft winds down support for the Xbox One (its predecessor is projected to have an 11-year lifespan). Penello feels that's a question the industry at large must answer, however, observing that games on all platforms are experimenting with the always-online.

"I think that's a great question for the industry," he said. "Because I could point to the fact that there are still plenty of games on Xbox One and Xbox 360 that are total offline mode. You could ask the same question for World of Warcraft. Like someday, what happens if Blizzard turns off the switch? Where's all my money, where's everything? That's a great question the industry is going to face. And it's going to be game-dependent."
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/61772/xbox-one-...ays-microsoft/

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well make it happen, I'm sure xbjuan owners will like to enjoy the 100+ games that will release for the 360 in the next couple of years

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Soldier 95B
    If Xbox One offers an online streaming game service like OnLive, I would indeed be interested to see what the offering is. I enjoyed OnLive for the time I used it, and it worked great.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    duhhh, MS. It's not like your leaked document didn't detail your $#@!ing plans

MS is supposed to focus on some sort of glasses next year and in 2015 they'll introduce the gaiki-style game streaming...unless they are ahead of their schedule from the leaked doc.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 09-05-2013 at 13:03.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I am just waiting for Microsoft to purchase OnLive now...it is only a matter of time...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    This is news? A cloud service that can stream games. Who would have thought it?

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I'll just buy Xbox and Xbox 360 versions of games on disk and play them on my Xbox and Xbox 360. I don't care at all about BC. Streaming services in Australia without latency. haha good luck

Banned

This is good, but I'll just stick with my 360 instead.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Ah, the nebulous cloud again. Did anyone have any doubts about this really? You run a game on a server, streaming control input from the console and video back to the console. To be perfectly honest this could have been done on last generation consoles if they wanted to attempt to adopt it. That said it faces the same issues that it has always faced, which is Latency (Lag.) This is irrelevant of what platform its on whether it's a game console, a tablet, a PC, a laptop, etc.

I'd ask how many people have tried and liked OnLive. I have, and to be honest it was nothing but a PIA. I have a broadband connection that to my local area's is ~20-30ms ping times, and across the country is < 100ms and this isn't good enough. I'd hazard to say that my connection is better than the average broadband user.

I have little faith in having good support of this on any platform for the foreseeable future.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am just waiting for Microsoft to purchase OnLive now...it is only a matter of time...
    I don't see why they would. Azure can do what onlive does already, and some of the people from onlive went to work at MS right before it was purchased. The only way i can see that is them purchssing to get around the patents.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'd ask how many people have tried and liked OnLive.
    never used it for quite a while, but i did like it as it worked well. i used it to play demo's of games i'd buy on console.

Thread Information