Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Microsoft's Penello: No way is Xbox One giving up 30% power advantage to PS4

"I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically," he wrote.

Albert Penello has got himself into a war of words with NeoGaf, I really wish he hadn't. They have turned on him but he is being reasonable...

'Originally Posted by Albert Penello

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

http://www.examiner.com/article/micr...vantage-to-ps4
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Soldier 95B
    We all knew this, so no surprise here.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Unless this guy can get into specifics, he is basically writing dribble.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Unless this guy can get into specifics, he is basically writing dribble.
    Even on what we know, the system does a lot of heavy lifting without employing the GPU or the CPU.
    Something that helps it tremendously, and it levels the playing field significantly.
    Anyone expecting 1.3tf vs 1.8tf to matter, better not be expecting things like sound or physics in their game.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    so they go from not targeting the highest level to fighting words?! well damn, you go girl...meow

6. Likes Final_fantasy likes this post
    Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by youngmullah88 View Post
    so they go from not targeting the highest level to fighting words?! Well damn, you go girl...meow
    lmao!!!!!
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    so they go from not targeting the highest level to fighting words?! well damn, you go girl...meow
    Neither target the highest level, anyone suggesting Sony somehow did is delusional.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Neither target the highest level, anyone suggesting Sony somehow did is delusional.
    lol didnt mention sony, was not even thinking about sony, just going off of what one of the execs said

10. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    lol didnt mention sony, was not even thinking about sony, just going off of what one of the execs said
    I know, but whats good for the goose....
    High end gfx are off the table for both these systems as far as I'm concerned (in terms of the GPU raw power). What they had to do was make the best use of what they have available.
    I cant comment on Sony but MS certainly seems to have.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I partly disagree with his statement about their games in the PS3/360 gen looking as good or better. Multiplats yes I agree but exclusives no. Sony has certain exclusives that look better than anything I've ever seen the 360 crank out. Was it because of more power? Propably not. Better developers? Most likely. But whatever the reason the PS3 was known for certain exclusives that were the best looking on any console. The gaming media has acknowledged this many times. BUT with that being said I'm starting to think that the PS4 and X1 are closer than we thought and that they both use different methods to achieve the same thing. But again I believe Sony has the better 1st party developers than MS and the PS4 exclusives will show that. Multiplats will be on par imo. Now having said that as well I do think Turn 10 and 343 will do amazing things on the X1. Have to give credit where credit is due there. I respect both of those developers.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 09-06-2013 at 00:53.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I partly disagree with his statement about their games in the PS3/360 gen looking as good or better. Multiplats yes I agree but exclusives no. Sony has certain exclusives that look better than anything I've ever seen the 360 crank out. Was it because of more power? Propably not. Better developers? Most likely. But whatever the reason the PS3 was known for certain exclusives that were the best looking on any console. The gaming media has acknowledged this many times. BUT with that being said I'm starting to think that the PS4 and X1 are closer than we thought and that they both use different methods to achieve the same thing. But again I believe Sony has the better 1st party developers than MS and the PS4 exclusives will show that. Multiplats will be on par imo. Now having said that as well I do think Turn 10 and 343 will do amazing things on the X1. Have to give credit where credit is due there. I respect both of those developers.
    Its all about....

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Its all about....
    Yep exactly.

Veteran
    I seriously don't understand why they go through great lengths at discussing which consoles is better and they haven't been released yet, obviously the PS4 is better because of the higher powered specs which is not so big compared so difference will not be huge, sure games will look better on PS4 most likely but won't be by far probably just minor texture/details we will be able to catch with our sight.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Exactly! Please show me the 360 game that looks as good as the last of us. I just replayed it for the 3rd time and I'm still amazed. However cod probably runs better on 360.

Superior Member
    so it went from "graphics dont matter" to "we'll be just as powerful"

lol MS you guys are pure comedy gold!

keep bringing the laughs

18. Likes Zswordsman, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    This is bull$#@!.

For what it's worth, developers are singing PS4 praise to the rooftops. I hear comparatively very little regarding Xbone. And multiple devs have flat out said that the PS4 is the more powerful architecture, no ifs ands or buts.

It irks me that this guy is trying to sell the Xbox One as a 'dedicated gaming device'- because it isn't. It was designed with a much stronger emphasis on multimedia- and the hardware and design choices show it.

You can't have your cake and it eat it too here.

This also blows my mind:

And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.
    He is tacitly getting ready to fall on his own sword here. We constantly hear and see developers only showing off one version of their multiplat game. BF4 was shown, behind closed doors (and public statements issued), on PS4. Not Xbox One. We hear all the time developers making comparative statements favoring the horse power of the PS4.. Remember the Warframe and NFS devs too.

But, no games have released yet. No proper comparisons can be made. So for him to say "Well it should be obvious" seems a bit ludicrous to me. Especially since many of the multiplat games that were "shown running on Xbone" were not on devkits or retail units. But actual PC's (like the BF4 'reveal' or what not).

There's is zero to substantiate the BS he's spouting and the fact that people here are taking it as gospel in light of the litany of counter facts at hand is a bit disturbing.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-06-2013 at 01:37.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    This is bull$#@!.

For what it's worth, developers are singing PS4 praise to the rooftops. I hear comparatively very little regarding Xbone. And multiple devs have flat out said that the PS4 is the more powerful architecture, no ifs ands or buts.

It irks me that this guy is trying to sell the Xbox One as a 'dedicated gaming device'- because it isn't. It was designed with a much stronger emphasis on multimedia- and the hardware and design choices show it.

Hit the nail on the spin

So much spin from Mr Penello

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by vulgotha View Post
    this is bull$#@!.

For what it's worth, developers are singing ps4 praise to the rooftops. I hear comparatively very little regarding xbone. And multiple devs have flat out said that the ps4 is the more powerful architecture, no ifs ands or buts.

It irks me that this guy is trying to sell the xbox one as a 'dedicated gaming device'- because it isn't. It was designed with a much stronger emphasis on multimedia- and the hardware and design choices show it.

lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    This is bull$#@!.

Time will out all
    You really need to have devs who are actually working on both, to make any sort of meaningful comparison.
    Praising one, doesn't mean its more powerful if its the only one you've developed for, that goes for both sides of the fence.

If you disregard, 1st party, and indies..what have you actually got left?

PSU Technical Advisor
    How about the NFS, DICE only showing off the PS4 version on actual silicon, and various other statements made by actual developers not on the MS payroll on the matter?

This is literally somebody plugging their ears and going "lalalalala".

Power Member
    Items User name style
    How about the NFS, DICE only showing off the PS4 version on actual silicon
    How is that quantifiable of power?
    If you were arguning that the PS4 devleopment seems to be further along, then yeah sure.
    , and various other statements made by actual developers not on the MS payroll on the matter?

This is literally somebody plugging their ears and going "lalalalala".
    What other various statements, are you referring to?

Soldier 95B
    This is all matching up with what developers have been saying, which is good news for gamers. Glad we got that out of the way.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    he talks as if he knows everything about the ps4 customized hardware. Starting to sound like prereveal threads again.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I knew this would bring out the:

28. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    How is that quantifiable of power?
    If you were arguning that the PS4 devleopment seems to be further along, then yeah sure.

What other various statements, are you referring to?
    Warframe developers, Avalanche, all the interviews with developers (I cannot even remember them all) praising the architecture.

If the Xbox One is so great, like Panello and legion are claiming, where's the proof? Where are the third party developers?

I'm not buying what this guy is selling. Xbox One might have something in the realm of a 10% CPU advantage from what scattered information we know, it has 6 less CU's half the ROP's and much fewer ALU's. It has a slightly higher clock rate.. It's using slower primary RAM well and simply. It has 32MB of ESRAM to use as a 'scratchpad' and in certain instances this may provide some nice advantages but at significant drawbacks which are clear.

The GPU power gap is significantly greater this generation then it was between PS3-->360. Much greater.

They use the same CPU's with the Xbox One, probably, having a 10% clock increase and perhaps whatever advantages its gaming portion of the SMART audio block grants it in audio processing (though the PS4 does have its own audio DSP).

The "Swizzlers"\DME are there in principle there to help with the ESRAM issues. Those don't grant magical powers that bridge a GPU gap.

I think the GPU gap will be big and it will rear its head much sooner than alot of people would prefer to admit.

Finally, as mentioned, Penello likes to claim "well there's stuff about our box people don't know!" while subtly implying everything about the PS4 is known and, apparently, found wanting in terms of efficiency.

That doesn't smell like cow manure to anyone?
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-06-2013 at 01:51.

Thread Information