Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: What should we do about the "trolling" in the Xbox sections?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close the section as after all we are a PS site!

17 30.36%
  • Be more strict on those responsible.

22 39.29%
  • Nothing is wrong, and I have no idea what you are talking about. LOOK A PENNY!

17 30.36%
Page 1 of 9 1 ... LastLast
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Trolling at a NEW HIGH?

It has been brought up to me over the last few minutes that apparently "trolling" and "thread derailment" are at an all time high in recent weeks. I am curious how the entire community feels about this. What are your thoughts and reactions to this forum wide accusation?

Some have declared the Xbox section a complete wasteland of what it once was, and thread discussions (in a civilized tone) are at an all time low. If this is the case how to do we fix it? Should we enforce stricter rules on those responsible in that section? Or are we catering too much to the Xbox elitist who patrol our forum?

Over the past several years the forum was lined up for a division. There was obvious catering to the Xbox section to try and create a more diverse culture here where all aspects of gaming can be discussed. But in that process did we lose our true identity? In my opinion we have, as after all we are named Playstation Universe for a reason.

I now ask of the entire community to voice their opinions on this matter.

1) Should the Xbox section be closed and all Xbox related discussions happen in case during regular forum discussion?
    2) Should stricter penalties be instated for rule violators in the Xbox sections?
    3) Or do you feel nothing is wrong?

Discuss. Remember keep this MATURE.
    Last edited by Justin; 09-06-2013 at 16:27.

8 years and counting!

Master Sage
    Personally, I feel it should be encouraged that multiplatform discussion take place. After all, you can't expect everyone to just prefer one system over another. I know this is a PlayStation-orientated website, and it always will be, but we shouldn't shy away from creating and taking part in discussion about Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, 3DS and/or PC. Infact, it would extremely illogical to do so, from a business point of view, as you'd be restricting the audience of PSU. After all, we want the community to grow, not shrink.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

3. Likes Cuguy wishes they had posted this first.
    Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I think there should be more strict rules put into place for the people who derail and troll threads, getting rid of the section would not be fair on the people who can appreciate the range of gaming systems available to us.

I often see threads that don't interest me or games that I'm not overly keen on so I don't bother posting or even looking at that thread. I may not like certain things but other people do so I leave them to it, why others can't do the same is beyond me!

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

5. Likes The Black Wolf, Cuguy wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Thanks for posting Justin. As someone who had originally come to this forum as an Xbox only gamer, with the sole purpose of trolling, I can see first hand where many issues arise out of dedication to these plastic boxes. Luckily, old age as well as experience owning Playstations have shown me the light. Now as a multiconsole owner, I love the fact that this community, which has a lot of great people, has multiple (optional) sections related to all forms of gaming, including the Xbox. Being able to discuss and share gaming experiences with the Playstation is first and foremost the most important thing here. Other sections and gaming comes second.

Your question is a good one. Personally, I think there should be (no specific order):

1. Section bans for trolling
    2. No Xbox section at all

I am content with our community going either way. Those that enjoy both consoles can just participate in other forums that have Xbox in them (or Nintendo or PC). We can just do all PS talk here. It would be nice if both could co-exist though. There are many of us that enjoy both, and enjoy many members that we have been posting with over the years here.

It's a tough call, but if everyone worked together, I am sure something could be done to fix all the trolling issues. A discussion such as this is a good start.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 09-06-2013 at 16:43.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Meh people can't handle the heat! Being a dual console owner doesn't't mean shit when it comes to trolling a section.

Lol some members are just too emotionally vested in these company's that any negative news/comment immediately gets attacked as being trollish?

Then there are those that are just in there own world that defies logic. The "I'm Buying both consoles anyways, but I get mad when someone says something about my dear Microsoft" lol

How about grow the fuck up and some nuts while they're at it! If people can't stand a specific topic being trolled then move along! This is not pre k or middle school...ridiculous, this place was much worse back in 2005-06 (not that I condone it)! All of a sudden everyone wants to bitch and moan

Let the forums police itself! You troll, you get ridiculed! Simple

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 09-06-2013 at 16:39.

8. Likes sainraja , Peregrin8X, 33x , Christopher wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I think there should be more strict rules put into place for the people who derail and troll threads, getting rid of the section would not be fair on the people who can appreciate the range of gaming systems available to us.

I often see threads that don't interest me or games that I'm not overly keen on so I don't bother posting or even looking at that thread. I may not like certain things but other people do so I leave them to it, why others can't do the same is beyond me!
    This x1000. There's a lot of threads I see that I may not like, find dumb, etc and all I do is simply not enter/leave and don't post. If only more did that maybe it would weed out certain thread types that arise and start trouble.

I don't think we should remove any multiplatform discussion. Where this site may be playstation centric, I stayed here because the other platforms were really active. I will say I barely even go into the Xbox section anymore. Just filled with either trolling, derailment, or the same people fighting each other over and over again.

Soldier 95B
    Another option, but is over looked, is that people can take control of what they are reading. I am guilty of not using the "ignore" feature enough. However, the ignore feature makes the threads look like garbage. Not only that, but if one ignores someone that they feel isn't contributing to the community maturely in a certain area, one might miss out on their mature discussions in another area. For example, say that I felt the Justin (just using you as an example because you made this thread) was not benefiting the PC gaming section here and was getting on my nerves. If I ignore him, I might miss out on some of his excellent debates and discussion in the Nintendo section (or politics or whatever). Granted you can click on VIEW post, but it turns the forum into unnecessary extra clicks and a UI mess to be honest.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Lol with out the xbox section, the trolling will be even worse! Want to test it out? Go ahead and ban everybody from the multiplatform section for a week and see how the ps section fares

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    This is tough, because we're a site that attracts big PlayStation fans, which will in turn attract some big Xbox fans that come to counter the PlayStation fans. It seems like every thread is a battle of two factions arguing with each other, which is why I haven't visited this forum as much lately.

The solution? I don't know if we just need to clamp down harder on stealth trolling veteran members who we're hesitant to punish, or if we need to get rid of the Xbox section and have one 'Other Gaming' section to not nurture the Xbox 'faction' as much, but that will curb some discussion. And I feel we'd either need to go all the way like GAF and have one 'Gaming' section or keep the current approach, which has sections for each company.

Again, it's tough....
    Last edited by Ixion; 09-06-2013 at 16:47.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol with out the xbox section, the trolling will be even worse! Want to test it out? Go ahead and ban everybody from the multiplatform section for a week and see how the ps section fares.
    Not sure if it's possible, but I suppot Young's idea here. If it was possible (I know it is "technically") to just close the Xbox section to "test the waters", that would be an interesting experiment.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    My last proposition to StevenW was to move the Xbox sections to their own portal... meaning, if you came to PSUniverse it was only PS forums that show up, but there would be a navbar tab to take you to MS (or other gaming) discussions.

That way, best of both worlds... the site still gets PS centric style, but people who own both, or just like the folks who post can go to the xbox area outside of PSU's main forum index.

I just can't see the site thumbing its nose at the traffic this section generates.

YouTube Editor
    Here is my beef.

*cracks knuckles*

I am a gamer first and foremost. Do I have a preference? You bet your ass I do and that is PS, hence why I am here. BUT at the same time as a gamer I own everything and play everything. So yes I do have interest in posting in every section, but with certain members rallying in that section constantly bickering about specific posts being rude, derailing, argumentative, and trolling I figure what's the point any more. The nature of certain members are simple, they are here for Xbox discussion on a PS site. Why? I have asked myself that question for 8 years and still don't have a definitive answer. So the moment ONE single post brings any sort of negativity to the almighty Xbox it is reported and harped on for being "rule breaking". Lighten up! The only posts I have reported in my 8 years (minus several obvious ones) are from spammers so the staff can nuke them right away. But remember this does indeed go both ways, as we have severe PS fans who's sole purpose is to go into the Xbox section and trash everything they are presented with.

8 years and counting!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    What am getting from this is that we are not grown or mature enough to know when someone is blatantly baiting or trolling to not respond to the post? People responding back are much worse than the trolls because they are the feeders! If you don't respond they'll leave...probably will come back in a new thread to say the same thing

17. Likes sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    YouTube Editor
    I love a good discussion. Great feedback everyone! Remember, the only way to resolve things is TOGETHER.

8 years and counting!

19. Likes Cuguy , Sylar wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    What am getting from this is that we are not grown or mature enough to know when someone is blatantly baiting or trolling to not respond to the post? People responding back are much worse than the trolls because they are the feeders! If you don't respond they'll leave...probably will come back in a new thread to say the same thing.
    Boom!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    The nature of certain members are simple, they are here for Xbox discussion on a PS site. Why? I have asked myself that question for 8 years and still don't have a definitive answer

I do, most of those who come here as you state come here for the members? I really believe people like the members they discuss things with here. But for some reason, we shouldn't welcome them because they only have a MS console.

I truly believe we have some of the best posters on the net here, and some of the usual, but people DO come here for the interaction with friends or people who can debate well.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    My last proposition to StevenW was to move the Xbox sections to their own portal... meaning, if you came to PSUniverse it was only PS forums that show up, but there would be a navbar tab to take you to MS (or other gaming) discussions. That way, best of both worlds... the site still gets PS centric style, but people who own both, or just like the folks who post can go to the xbox area outside of PSU's main forum index. I just can't see the site thumbing its nose at the traffic this section generates.
    When I was on the panel I mentioned that I was in favor of this idea during our discussions. I still am.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Or it could just be because our community is so small and tigh-knit, that we're getting sick of seeing the same people argue the same positions every single day. lol

"Oh, here comes Rad, Vulgotha, and Lefein to defend PlayStation!"

"Oh, here comes Substance, Soldier, and Mynd to defend Xbox!"

Rinse and repeat. (^Just examples)

Or maybe that's just me.

24. Likes Leviticus, -Shafty- wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Or it could just be because our community is so small and tigh-knit, that we're getting sick of seeing the same people argue the same positions every single day. lol

"Oh, here comes Rad, Vulgotha, and Lefein to defend PlayStation!"

"Oh, here comes Substance, Soldier, and Mynd to defend Xbox!"

Rinse and repeat.

Or maybe that's just me.

^^^Just examples.
    i get the point.. and yes, some people just come in a thread and without even reading can see who has posted and know it will not be worth their time to stick around.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    i get the point.. and yes, some people just come in a thread and without even reading can see who has posted and know it will not be worth their time to stick around.
    I'm not saying those posters are trolls. I'm just saying we're kind of like a family and families get sick of arguing with each other constantly and so the discussions start to get too.....heated, subversive, etc.

27. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    "Oh, here comes Soldier to defend Xbox!"

29. Likes Ghost , Kwes , Ixion wishes they had posted this first.
    Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I was just thinking would it be worth making sticky threads in each gaming section with the posting rules just to reiterate the sort of community we all want? Most of us know these rules but it could be there as a reminder to keep everyone's focus on it.

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I'm not saying those posters are trolls. I'm just saying we're kind of like a family and families get sick of arguing with each other constantly and so the discussions start to get too.....heated, subversive, etc.

yeah i can see that point as well

Dedicated Member
    I say leave things as they are, I find some trolling highly amusing.
    This site is pretty unique in how its called PSU but has die hard Xbox fans alike, its cool.

Short term bans for serious trolling/thread derailment.

Sent from my B6000 拓客國際台灣版 using Tapatalk 4
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

YouTube Editor
    Most sites keep areas divided. Xbox has one section of the site, PS has another, as well as Nintendo. You want to discuss PS come here, you want to discuss Xbox go over there, etc. I feel with the direction we are currently going we are straying away from our identity, and our name is no longer valid (in my opinion).

8 years and counting!

34. Likes John Willaford wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information