View Poll Results: What should we do about the "trolling" in the Xbox sections?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close the section as after all we are a PS site!

    17 30.36%
  • Be more strict on those responsible.

    22 39.29%
  • Nothing is wrong, and I have no idea what you are talking about. LOOK A PENNY!

    17 30.36%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 207
  1. #26
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,757
    Rep Power
    88
    Points
    39,197 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I just don't understand why people either can't make a criticism without coming across like a child or why they take someone's negative opinion of a box to heart.

    The worst bit. Most of the time the people acting like kids are full grown men. If you're over 18 and you've got time to bicker and cry on the internet regarding video games you need to take a step back and think about what you're getting all bent out of shape about.

  2. #27
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,029
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    15,434 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    There ia nothing wrong. For years xbox bois have been posting positive xbox negative ps3 articles. Now the tables have turned and they cant take what they have been dishing out for years.

    Deal with it!!
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  3. Likes Leviticus, victorijapoosp likes this post
  4. #28
    Forum Sage
    Agriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,377
    Rep Power
    95
    Points
    13,987 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    To be honest removing the section because a handful of people can stand each other is an outrage.
    Most of the problems boils down to a few people who can not allow another to post with out attacking them for trolling, flamebait, derailing (ironic isn't it), and what ever else.
    This happens on both sides. Yes trolls are bad and should be dealt with, but replying to trolls is a 1000% worse.
    Not only are you giving the troll validity and a reason to reply again, but you are most of the time being counter productive to the goal you had in the first place.
    Replying to trolls is the 1# cause of thread derailment 100% of the time, the first post is not the reason for derailment, the people that reply and attack are.
    Everyone says trolling is the worse thing ever for a community, I disagree, in my years of experience on staff, it is always the people/person attacking the OP that is the reason things go to $#@! real fast. I would personally say we have a bigger problem with that then trolling.
    I am not speaking for the staff I am just giving my person observations on this.
    I think there is a problem, and trolling is only part of it.


  5. Likes Leviticus likes this post
  6. #29
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,072
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    10,718 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm not saying those posters are trolls. I'm just saying we're kind of like a family and families get sick of arguing with each other constantly and so the discussions start to get too.....heated, subversive, etc.
    That's basically what happens to me. I go into a thread with an interesting title, sees the same arguments and leave. No post or relevant discussion to make, I see no point in making a discussion when the other 6-8 guys just want to make it about ps4 vs xbone on the same tired points we saw in 6 other threads.


  7. #30
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    3,394,444 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    There ia nothing wrong. For years xbox bois have been posting positive xbox negative ps3 articles. Now the tables have turned and they cant take what they have been dishing out for years.

    Deal with it!!
    it doesn't matter when or what hardware.

    this has been going both ways since 2006 at least. The best answer for the site is to stamp out the trolls. Use the section bans. If you (in general, not YOU) can't resist going into xbox threads and killing them with smart ass, troll comments like Ubermadness (gotmilk) does, then stay out. If you can't stay out, an admin should remove the temptation with a permanent section ban.

    To cure an alcoholic, you remove the temptation by keeping them away from alcohol. Here, we should remove the trolls from the areas they are trolling... easy.

  8. #31
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    3,394,444 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    To be honest removing the section because a handful of people can stand each other is an outrage.
    Most of the problems boils down to a few people who can not allow another to post with out attacking them for trolling, flamebait, derailing (ironic isn't it), and what ever else.
    This happens on both sides. Yes trolls are bad and should be dealt with, but replying to trolls is a 1000% worse.
    Not only are you giving the troll validity and a reason to reply again, but you are most of the time being counter productive to the goal you had in the first place.
    Replying to trolls is the 1# cause of thread derailment 100% of the time, the first post is not the reason for derailment, the people that reply and attack are.
    Everyone says trolling is the worse thing ever for a community, I disagree, in my years of experience on staff, it is always the people/person attacking the OP that is the reason things go to $#@! real fast. I would personally say we have a bigger problem with that then trolling.
    I am not speaking for the staff I am just giving my person observations on this.
    I think there is a problem, and trolling is only part of it.
    great post...

  9. #32
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,931
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    8,897 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    it doesn't matter when or what hardware.

    this has been going both ways since 2006 at least. The best answer for the site is to stamp out the trolls. Use the section bans. If you (in general, not YOU) can't resist going into xbox threads and killing them with smart ass, troll comments like Ubermadness (gotmilk) does, then stay out. If you can't stay out, an admin should remove the temptation with a permanent section ban.

    To cure an alcoholic, you remove the temptation by keeping them away from alcohol. Here, we should remove the trolls from the areas they are trolling... easy.
    Another part of the problem is lack of ability to take a joke. Many members are so uptight they will report the slightest jab at their console of choice. Calm down and have some fun with things!

    8 years and counting!

  10. Likes Leviticus likes this post
  11. #33
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    20
    Posts
    8,322
    Rep Power
    83
    Points
    30,849 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Most of my thoughts are already voiced by many here. If you are so loyal to a box of plastic to be hurt by people's negative opinion of them than you need to grow up. I feel that the "trolling" problem is slightly exaggerated because its only a handful of members that do it over and over. I used to get baited a lot in the past and had my fair share of derailing discussions but now when I see that a member isn't getting what I'm saying I just stop posting (and in turn stop wasting my time).

    YOU decide what to do with flamebait and trollish posts, not the mods. That being said I feel the threshold of what's considered "Trolling" is also rapidly falling and everyday I see very objective and valid posts being labeled as trolls (just because its a negative opinion). I think everything is fine, we are just in the exciting time of gaming and naturally that comes with its share of debates
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-06-2013 at 17:23.

  12. Likes Two4DaMoney , Agriel likes this post
  13. #34
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,757
    Rep Power
    88
    Points
    39,197 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    it doesn't matter when or what hardware.

    this has been going both ways since 2006 at least. The best answer for the site is to stamp out the trolls. Use the section bans. If you (in general, not YOU) can't resist going into xbox threads and killing them with smart ass, troll comments like Ubermadness (gotmilk) does, then stay out. If you can't stay out, an admin should remove the temptation with a permanent section ban.

    To cure an alcoholic, you remove the temptation by keeping them away from alcohol. Here, we should remove the trolls from the areas they are trolling... easy.
    And that is what i'll never understand. Why post in a section you have no interest about? This is a PS forum. If you have 0 interest in any other platform, why go there?

    Just makes me think of an abused wife going back to the husband that keeps beating her.

  14. #35
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Most sites keep areas divided. Xbox has one section of the site, PS has another, as well as Nintendo. You want to discuss PS come here, you want to discuss Xbox go over there, etc. I feel with the direction we are currently going we are straying away from our identity, and our name is no longer valid (in my opinion).
    I agree. The feel of this site doesn't match up with its name. And there is an extremely vocal group whose sole purpose here is to champion the Xbox and counter the Playstation fans which I feel has diluted the Playstation feel and identity of this site. The 360 section is basically an Xbox fan clubhouse where any criticism of the Xbox brand is called "trolling" by the same people who post negatively in the Playstation section and call it their "opinion." And yes I know it goes both ways.

  15. #36
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,446
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    15,271 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've said it years ago and I'll say it again. It's a gang-like mentality. You attack Sony, we're going to attack MS(goes both ways). And that's the main problem because it spills out into both gaming sections. I'm not sure it can be stopped and still make business sense. Those threads seems to be what's generating the traffic.

    Facts, lies, opinions...some people need to learn the difference between those. You can argue facts. Someone is going to be right and the other is going to be wrong at the end of the day. There's no right or wrong with opinions. You may not agree with another person but if you aren't arguing facts then just accept that people think differently and prefer different things. Don't take it personal. Members that lie are asking to be corrected. There should be no anger in having your lies pointed out to you. If it was an honest mistake then you'll accept easily. Being mad about it only points out that you have issues with being a liar lol.

    I'm honestly finding this $#@! entertaining.

    Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

  16. Likes Leviticus likes this post
  17. #37
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,630
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    1,035 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I do not know what you can actually achieve from either closing or monitoring the section... This continues in all sections on the FORUM and even on the front page

    So a fruitless attempt, when the actually problem is spamming and yes trolling is a increase pain, but it will keep happening and in fear of closing the entire forum

    I do not see a solution to it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  18. #38
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    3,394,444 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    And that is what i'll never understand. Why post in a section you have no interest about? This is a PS forum. If you have 0 interest in any other platform, why go there?

    Just makes me think of an abused wife going back to the husband that keeps beating her.
    Bingo.

    A troll makes the conscious effort to seek out, enter, post and hit submit. It isn't like they fall into a thread and are all like "$#@!, i just trolled... damnit, it happens all the time"

    It is a literal conscious, deliberate act to try and derail or belittle a topic that is easily avoided.

  19. #39
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    And that is what i'll never understand. Why post in a section you have no interest about? This is a PS forum. If you have 0 interest in any other platform, why go there?

    Just makes me think of an abused wife going back to the husband that keeps beating her.
    This is the number one thing that concerns me, and would solve all the problems. Don't want it or don't like it, why post there? I have zero desire to talk politics, zero desire to talk Nintendo, zero desire to talk Design Corner. I just ignore or collapse those sections and I don't even post in them. I am amazed by this. Completely amazed. Seriously, who is forcing these people to post in the Xbox section?
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 09-06-2013 at 17:33.

  20. #40
    Apprentice
    on the rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    1,259 (0 Banked)
    I think all the back and forth makes the conversations more interesting. I think the Xbox guys are just a little sensitive right now because of all the negative press surrounding the Xbox 1. After both consoles release I think a lot of the tension will go down naturally so I don't see a reason to do anything drastic. I voted do nothing.

  21. #41
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    There ia nothing wrong. For years xbox bois have been posting positive xbox negative ps3 articles. Now the tables have turned and they cant take what they have been dishing out for years. Deal with it!!
    When you cut to the chase thats really whats going on in the Xbox section. With the bad press X1 and MS have been getting the Xbox fans are hyper sensitive right now. Theyre getting a taste of what Playstation fans had to endure for the better part of this generation and they dont like it.

  22. #42
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I've said it years ago and I'll say it again. It's a gang-like mentality. You attack Sony, we're going to attack MS(goes both ways). And that's the main problem because it spills out into both gaming sections. I'm not sure it can be stopped and still make business sense. Those threads seems to be what's generating the traffic. Facts, lies, opinions...some people need to learn the difference between those. You can argue facts. Someone is going to be right and the other is going to be wrong at the end of the day. There's no right or wrong with opinions. You may not agree with another person but if you aren't arguing facts then just accept that people think differently and prefer different things. Don't take it personal. Members that lie are asking to be corrected. There should be no anger in having your lies pointed out to you. If it was an honest mistake then you'll accept easily. Being mad about it only points out that you have issues with being a liar lol. I'm honestly finding this $#@! entertaining.
    Yep, its entertaining reading which is why it generates traffic. People love a good argument.

  23. #43
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,691
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    80,219 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You keep things as they are but work better to maintain order. That's the simplest and best solution.

    A core of the issues right now are from little feuds between members, where one person starts drama and calls out another. If they stopped adding fuel to the fire then they wouldn't get burned later. But the fact is that you can't account on a group of people to be that sensible, which is when we're meant to step in.

    Admittedly, looking into all the reports and moderating the forums can be both exhausting and frustrating. Usually reports are made under some bias, so we have to dig around and look for more honest content to the reported post and the thread it's in. And while many members may call for stricter moderating, they of course only mean this for their perceived opposition (us vs them mentality), and will happily cry foul if they're the ones on the chopping block. It's all very silly. Then there are those that legitimately disagree with our decisions on things.

    However I think we (the staff) have room to improve how we work and respond to things. Utilizing section bans more can be a component of that. I'm happy you guys are voicing your opinions on the matter.

  24. Likes Admartian , Ghost likes this post
  25. #44
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,931
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    8,897 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Why am I always starting these discussions? I love it.

    It bothers me when things are kept bottled up. If you have an opinion voice it (maturely of course)!

    8 years and counting!

  26. #45
    Superior Member
    Peregrin8X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    11,245 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    This is tough, because we're a site that attracts big PlayStation fans, which will in turn attract some big Xbox fans that come to counter the PlayStation fans. It seems like every thread is a battle of two factions arguing with each other, which is why I haven't visited this forum as much lately.

    The solution? I don't know if we just need to clamp down harder on stealth trolling veteran members who we're hesitant to punish, or if we need to get rid of the Xbox section and have one 'Other Gaming' section to not nurture the Xbox 'faction' as much, but that will curb some discussion. And I feel we'd either need to go all the way like GAF and have one 'Gaming' section or keep the current approach, which has sections for each company.

    Again, it's tough....
    Gaf was never meant to be a one console forum. This site has been geared from the get-go to be a playstation community.

    you go the gaf route, that's a slap in the face to me and many other ps fans who have a haven here to discuss their favorite brand.

    and if it indeed went that route, then there would be no point in me ever visiting this site again

  27. #46
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,912
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    69,847 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Why am I always starting these discussions?
    Because you're doing Dave's bidding by having PSU fight amongst each other, thus tearing us down from the inside!

    My god, Dave is sneaky.

  28. Likes Admartian , Justin likes this post
  29. #47
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I think there is a good balance right now and for the most part, good conversations. There are going to be disagreements, even heated ones, but fact is that folks didn't come here under false pretenses. The word PlayStation is blazed right at the top of the page. Xbox-centric members whining about PlayStation "trolls" here is silly, imo. I'm not saying members should be able to dart in and post "Xbox Sucks!" and crap like that. Our mods do an excellent job of getting rid of that kind of junk posting. But there is going to be negative sentiment towards Xbox on a PlayStation site. Period. Get over it and keep posting.

    And I'm totally against extreme moves. Making a Xbox portal? Hell no. Might as well rename the site. Removing the Xbox section? Again....no way. It serves its purpose. Leave it as it is and stop taking this so seriously (and I'm pointing the finger at myself as well here). We are discussing video games, for crying out loud.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  30. Likes Admartian , Sylar likes this post
  31. #48
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,912
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    69,847 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    Gaf was never meant to be a one console forum. This site has been geared from the get-go to be a playstation community.

    you go the gaf route, that's a slap in the face to me and many other ps fans who have a haven here to discuss their favorite brand.

    and if it indeed went that route, then there would be no point in me ever visiting this site again
    I never said we should turn into GAF. Just saying that we need to either keep the current approach of having sections for all platforms, or we'd need to go all out and not have any divisions, which we obviously won't do.

  32. #49
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,931
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    8,897 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Because you're doing Dave's bidding by having PSU fight amongst each other, thus tearing us down from the inside!

    My god, Dave is sneaky.
    I seriously LOL'd hard on this one at my desk.

    8 years and counting!

  33. #50
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,255
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    151,056 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I never said we should turn into GAF. Just saying that we need to either keep the current approach of having sections for all platforms, or we'd need to go all out and not have any divisions, which we obviously won't do.
    I think this is the best approach otherwise people who only come here to post in the Xbox section and don't cause hassle would be victimised.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.