View Poll Results: What should we do about the "trolling" in the Xbox sections?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close the section as after all we are a PS site!

17 30.36%
  • Be more strict on those responsible.

22 39.29%
  • Nothing is wrong, and I have no idea what you are talking about. LOOK A PENNY!

17 30.36%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Another part of the problem is lack of ability to take a joke. Many members are so uptight they will report the slightest jab at their console of choice. Calm down and have some fun with things!
    I don't think I've ever reported a post once during my entire time here.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Removing the MS section would be the 2nd most retarded ass thing that has happened to this site.

3. Likes Jaeger, F34R likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    And that is what i'll never understand. Why post in a section you have no interest about? This is a PS forum. If you have 0 interest in any other platform, why go there?

Just makes me think of an abused wife going back to the husband that keeps beating her.
    Yeah but they use the sole reason that they own both consoles "or the prospect that they are buying both consoles" to justify going into that thread just to troll. Like I stated above, just because someone owns both hardware does not make them a fan of both (case in point, ME!)! It just so happens that the ms fans on this forums tend to use that excuse more so than others just to troll sections and get away with it...and when they get called out, they drop the line "let's agree to disagree, I'm getting both anyways (or I own both, so I'll get to enjoy them equally!)"

It's so transparent too but it seems to be ok just because

"Hey I'm in abusive relationship but I'll stick around because we have a baby together"

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The only way to "fix" it, without disrupting the community, is to deal with the members that break the rules.

If you remove the MS section completely, that won't fix the problem at all. It will create issues compounding the trolling. If you remove the MS section, then you split the time that non-offending members have. I'll have to go elsewhere for other discussion, which will limit my time here. As it is now, all my time is here. Everything I enjoy is discussed here. Removing the section would basically penalize me, and others, that aren't breaking rules.

Dealing with the problematic members could be warnings, bans, or section bans, etc. Easy.

7. Likes EHY893, The Black Wolf likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    The general consensus views our community as a place to discuss ALL elements of gaming. Now if only our image portrayed this.

8 years and counting!

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    PSU and the members want to keep the Microsoft and Xbox Sections right? Have you tried infracting and banning the trolls?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Ultimate Veteran
    Last I heard, the Microsoft Xbox Chat section gets the site plenty of views so it makes no sense to remove it because of a few bad apples. Not to mention the fact that it's a competing platform for Sony - why wouldn't users want to talk about it? I think that as long as the PlayStation brand continues to be the site's main interest, it shouldn't matter that we have other forums or subforums.

Of course, it also helps to use the report button. But that also means that the user reporting a post would be interested to know if action will be taken by the forum staff and, if not, the reason why.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-06-2013 at 20:13.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Close the entire Xbox section here. There are tons of other forums ppl can talk about xbox. This is a Playstation site

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post
    Close the entire Xbox section here. There are tons of other forums ppl can talk about xbox. This is a Playstation site
    smh...

Honestly... that won't fix the problem. The problems aren't solely in the MS sections. Trolling, etc., about the MS brand isn't only in the MS sections. Want me to say it again?

Removing that section won't fix the problem. However, it will steer traffic to another site. Not a good idea. That means, get rid of something that generates traffic, but does not fix the problem.
    Last edited by F34R; 09-06-2013 at 20:18.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think the general consensus is to just clamp down harder on trolls, especially the veteran members who we're hesitant to punish. That could include me if you deem it so!

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    What sort of system is in place at the moment? I'm guessing it's a warning -> temp ban -> perma ban?

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Why section bans haven't been handed out already to certain members is beyond me.

8 years and counting!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Why section bans haven't been handed out already to certain members is beyond me.

The ONLY problem with section bans is they aren't automatically tracked. Meaning, you can't impose a time limit on them. You have to purposefully block a person from a thread, or section, then keep track in a log of some sort if you wish to remove the ban later. I had a thread in the mod section that was to keep track of anyone section banned.

I think even in my time as cm, it was under utilized.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Xbox section is a complete and utter joke, both sides are to blame. There are two members in particular, maybe three, I'm completely exasperated with.

Mynd and I going at it, from different points of view and backgrounds, is nothing new or to get upset over. He's a great deal more objective than people give him credit for, in spite of the fact that we obviously butt heads here and there.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-06-2013 at 20:29.

18. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    No way do I think we should do away with any sections we have now. We would lose a great deal of members. Agriel put it best, the trolling isn't the biggest problem it's feeding the trolls. I saw it very bad from a thread yesterday. The word salt must have been said 50 times. Guilty parties from both sides.

The counter from Xbox fans is good, when it didn't turn into a pissing contest. Honestly though that happens about 90 percent of the time. Wr could rule it with an iron first but honestly I think that would just create even more animosity and would make stealth trolling rise even more. I hate stealth trolling more than blatant trolling. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it. Splitting off the sections would honestly turn into a Sony/ MS love boat with no one disagreeing with things. I think that would be more harmful that good. Regardless of how much trolling goes, there are really good counterpoints that are made and turn into good discussions. Splitting those would likely take most of that away.

The best solution would be members taking accountability for themselves but sadly I don't see that happening with the current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Xbox section is a complete and utter joke, both sides are to blame. There are two members in particular, maybe three, I'm completely exasperated with.

Mynd and I going at it, from different points of view and backgrounds, is nothing new or to get upset over. He's a great deal more objective than people give him credit for, in spite of the fact that we obviously butt heads here and there.
    Exactly what I'm talking about. I enjoy watching you and Mynd go back and forth. It's always intelligible and doesn't turn into mud slinging. That type of discussion is what the form needs more of. I understand having affiliations with one side or the other but damn. Is it that hard to see the new generation with slightly open eyes instead of being blinded by the diamond case that you think your console of choice has? I guess that's the way of the console wars though. Everyone thinks words will win it.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 09-06-2013 at 20:47.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

20. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

Lol your right. Ita pretty much 2 members.

Seriously though people will shut up if they get infracted and eventually banned.

Both sides.

Nothing wrong with discussion or not agreeing but some are clearly here just to stir $#@!.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    The ONLY problem with section bans is they aren't automatically tracked. Meaning, you can't impose a time limit on them. You have to purposefully block a person from a thread, or section, then keep track in a log of some sort if you wish to remove the ban later. I had a thread in the mod section that was to keep track of anyone section banned.

I think even in my time as cm, it was under utilized.
    Funny you mention that. I've made a thread very similar to that (which does this and more). Wouldn't be a problem if section bans start rolling out, which I'm starting to regard very highly after reading what members think.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Funny you mention that. I've made a thread very similar to that (which does this and more). Wouldn't be a problem if section bans start rolling out, which I'm starting to regard very highly after reading what members think.

Thing is, it makes so much sense! If I couldn't keep my mouth shut in the man united thread, ban me from it. I can still enjoy the site, but I am prevented from trolling them and breaking up any sort of real discussion going on.

Of course, by this, the mods would have to use judgement to see who is trolling and who is simply disagreeing, but it can be done.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'd start with the section bans for a certain time frame, and if it continues during or after that, give 'em some time off from the forums completely.

Master Guru

IMO there is no problem.

Some threads in the 360 section are entertaining (even the trolling).

Take that away and this place becomes boring. There is no way we are ever going to eliminate trolling so why not just get on with it and punish those that do.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Removing the MS section would be the 2nd most retarded ass thing that has happened to this site.
    what's number 1?

oh some people are just waiting on my reply to the trolling. i have more class then troll a site

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Section bans should apply to both sections. One member for example loves to stealth troll every single Drive Club thread that gets posted. Its not just the Xbox section getting trolled.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Section bans should apply to both sections. One member for example loves to stealth troll every single Drive Club thread that gets posted. Its not just the Xbox section getting trolled.

that goes without saying

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    IMO there is no problem.

Some threads in the 360 section are entertaining (even the trolling).

Take that away and this place becomes boring. There is no way we are ever going to eliminate trolling so why not just get on with it and punish those that do.
    yea, this. That's the only way. Nothing irks me more than to see a mod logged in and witness a thread get out of hand and do nothing. Just be impartial and punish the offenders regardless of which way they lean, and the problem will work itself out.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    that goes without saying
    Just making sure since this thread seemed to be focusing on the Xbox section. Although thats probably because it gets trolled more.

Thread Information