Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As Sony said themselves, they have remained firm on their convictions. I cannot buy into a company that is so wishy washy with their terms that they will change them at any second.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I think it would be, and yeah 5gb sucks man, even I get 150gb a month.
    Where are you? Backwater swamps?
    <looks at location>
    Lol might as well be. Only internet options we have is mobile broadband and satellite. Both equally as ****ty as the next. But I can do light gaming on mobile so I went with that.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    For me, the ps4 is the best choice. Any news coming from ms I don't look at as good or bad just info on what they are doing or offering. Sony has said enough about what the consumer needs to know IMO.

Master Guru

Don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Yes, MS does not have this awesome feature.

That was awesome sauce. So tasty makes me want to get into serious multiplayer action for the first time in my 35 years of gaming. Might also make me go full DD so I can appreciate all those live feeds to their fullest.

PS4 is the clear day one choice for me. ONE will be further down the road once I see MS is keeping the exclusives rolling and PSU green members decide to have regular "kinect parties"

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

7. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Veteran
    I think if your only buying one console at launch it comes down to which has the better launch line up, Which pad is better and which online service is the best! Im lucky enough to be getting both but if i could only afford one then the One seems the better option at launch.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Wouldn't that be an drain on the friends internet though, farked if I want to be live streaming my game to friends, I barley get a good ping as it is, anyone else using our internet and its unplayable.

Still, our internet is **** in NZ.
    Would probably need a 10mbit upload minimum to stream and play online at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I'm hoping that kind of stuff can be set as optional. My internet situation sucks. I get 5 gb a month. So steaming someone's gameplay is out of the question.
    I expec it is optional.

This stream is using 5mbit of my upload
    http://www.twitch.tv/mrkeefor/b/457745229
    Last edited by keefy; 09-07-2013 at 15:26.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    I have preordered it. But I have some doubts because i havent heard anything lately from Sony camp. Just a flow of good news from MS.

How do you feel?
    What is this 'a flow of good news from MS' that you talk about? Whatever positive things you heard before are bunch of damage control as well as the constant 180 on their decision.

11. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Apprentice
    PS4 is the only correct choice

from the beginning it was a "gamers first, devs first", console. the other guys tried to pull the biggest screwjob ever on the consumer (and got the smackdown they rightfully deserved).
    ALL 3RD PARTY MULTIPLATFORM GAMES WILL BE SUPERIOR ON PS4 NOW AND IN THE FUTURE!

Veteran
    There are several suspicious things going on with this "good news". The 150 MHz "upclock" (MS is making a big point about it not being an overclock) or 10% CPU clock speed increase has multiple problems that prevent it from being "good news". One thing is announcing it a day before a leaked shipping boxes photo. MS is saying this "upclock" was proven out several months before production had started.

AMD stated earlier in the year, the standard clock rate for the Jaguar CPU would be 2GHz, and that 1.6GHz would be shipped for devkits. From this news straight from MS, they somehow locked in their APU design with the 1.6GHz CPU, and the "upclock" is raising it to 1.75GHz. There are no indications Sony designed the devkit CPU into the PS4 APU and their production units have the Jaguar at the standard clock rate of 2GHz. The Sony FCC report, which Sony didn't hide, showed a maximum clock frequency of 2.75GHz. Many people are insisting this is the Wifi frequency but under this number, there is a category specifically for Wifi frequencies, separate from the maximum frequency. There were rumors that Sony tested at 2.75GHz CPU and had no problems but were shipping with the standard 2GHz.

2GHz > 1.75GHz

The other problem with this "upclock" is that even MS acknowledged in their xbits presentation there was increased heat dissipation. MS said it would only result in slightly more fan noise. During this time frame, there was the announcement of the sudden shutdown of death feature, due to overheating.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    There are several suspicious things going on with this "good news". The 150 MHz "upclock" (MS is making a big point about it not being an overclock) or 10% CPU clock speed increase has multiple problems that prevent it from being "good news". One thing is announcing it a day before a leaked shipping boxes photo. MS is saying this "upclock" was proven out several months before production had started.

AMD stated earlier in the year, the standard clock rate for the Jaguar CPU would be 2GHz, and that 1.6GHz would be shipped for devkits. From this news straight from MS, they somehow locked in their APU design with the 1.6GHz CPU, and the "upclock" is raising it to 1.75GHz. There are no indications Sony designed the devkit CPU into the PS4 APU and their production units have the Jaguar at the standard clock rate of 2GHz. The Sony FCC report, which Sony didn't hide, showed a maximum clock frequency of 2.75GHz. Many people are insisting this is the Wifi frequency but under this number, there is a category specifically for Wifi frequencies, separate from the maximum frequency. There were rumors that Sony tested at 2.75GHz CPU and had no problems but were shipping with the standard 2GHz.

2GHz > 1.75GHz

The other problem with this "upclock" is that even MS acknowledged in their xbits presentation there was increased heat dissipation. MS said it would only result in slightly more fan noise. During this time frame, there was the announcement of the sudden shutdown of death feature, due to overheating.
    It would really come down to power budget and device yield at speed within power budget.

While AMD can crank out good functional 2GHz units, can they yield enough within power constraints that MS has set? That is what the real question becomes. The lower the yield on this, the higher the price would be.

While the design and intent to hit a power budget is there, it's not a guaranty. You're going to have a distribution of devices with varying amounts of leakage current (which becomes ever more dominant as the major power contributor as we go to smaller and smaller process nodes.) Leakage current of a nominal devices may be moderate, but the question is what the distribution of material looks like to see if you're getting > 90% of the devices within the power budget or < 50%. Going up small percentages in frequency has a direct impact to dynamic power by the square of the ratio of the frequencies, but also you need to bias the core voltage level higher to operate at the higher frequency and you can crank the dynamic power up again another factor by the square of the ratio of increase in voltage level applied. Now that's not the end of it, the higher voltage level further increases the leakage current of the device. This is basis of why in the report regarding the 150MHz increase has a potential increase of power by 66%. That number wasn't pulled of ones ass, it's realistic.

I'm sure they have a power limitation for their thermal solution of their system - If they don't they're not doing their job, and I'm sure they're doing their job. And with this, they have to look at what the yielding would be and this tends to be a steep fall off curve on todays processes. So they could have stayed 1.6GHz and had awesome yield and not the optimal performance, or go up to where they have acceptable yield and better performance.

Note that as time goes by, there will be tweaks to the process, and targeting of N2P ratio's and the like to get better yield at power. But that doesn't help you with early production.

I'd guess they planned for 1.75GHz a good while back and went with a lower yield initially, in the hopes that by the time the ramp production they'd have better yield. This would have given the option of moving forward w/ 1.75GHz for everything, or falling back to 1.6GHz (including on the units built with 1.75GHz yielded earlier units. It's would simply be a FW update to change the PLL settings of the device to run it at 1.6GHz - after all you want all production units to operate at the exact same performance level.)

Veteran
    If by good news you means the CPU/GPU boost then yeah might be good news for them but we don't even know what the PS4 has been clocked at so I don't see that as a reason to want a XBone, for me it's still far away for making want to do the switch.

Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    PS4 was always a good choice and will remain a good choice.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore View Post
    I think if your only buying one console at launch it comes down to which has the better launch line up, Which pad is better and which online service is the best! Im lucky enough to be getting both but if i could only afford one then the One seems the better option at launch.
    Keep in mind that Sony has about 3-4 times more studios pumping out exclusive games than MS. You might like MS's lineup now but you'll be waiting a lot longer to get new games from them.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 09-07-2013 at 21:37.

19. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    It would really come down to power budget and device yield at speed within power budget.

While AMD can crank out good functional 2GHz units, can they yield enough within power constraints that MS has set? That is what the real question becomes. The lower the yield on this, the higher the price would be.

While the design and intent to hit a power budget is there, it's not a guaranty. You're going to have a distribution of devices with varying amounts of leakage current (which becomes ever more dominant as the major power contributor as we go to smaller and smaller process nodes.) Leakage current of a nominal devices may be moderate, but the question is what the distribution of material looks like to see if you're getting > 90% of the devices within the power budget or < 50%. Going up small percentages in frequency has a direct impact to dynamic power by the square of the ratio of the frequencies, but also you need to bias the core voltage level higher to operate at the higher frequency and you can crank the dynamic power up again another factor by the square of the ratio of increase in voltage level applied. Now that's not the end of it, the higher voltage level further increases the leakage current of the device. This is basis of why in the report regarding the 150MHz increase has a potential increase of power by 66%. That number wasn't pulled of ones ass, it's realistic.

I'm sure they have a power limitation for their thermal solution of their system - If they don't they're not doing their job, and I'm sure they're doing their job. And with this, they have to look at what the yielding would be and this tends to be a steep fall off curve on todays processes. So they could have stayed 1.6GHz and had awesome yield and not the optimal performance, or go up to where they have acceptable yield and better performance.

Note that as time goes by, there will be tweaks to the process, and targeting of N2P ratio's and the like to get better yield at power. But that doesn't help you with early production.

I'd guess they planned for 1.75GHz a good while back and went with a lower yield initially, in the hopes that by the time the ramp production they'd have better yield. This would have given the option of moving forward w/ 1.75GHz for everything, or falling back to 1.6GHz (including on the units built with 1.75GHz yielded earlier units. It's would simply be a FW update to change the PLL settings of the device to run it at 1.6GHz - after all you want all production units to operate at the exact same performance level.)
    The PS4's ram is Graphics Double Data Rate RAM 5. The 2.75Ghz MAX clock of the system is the clock speed of the video ram. 2.75 on the up and downtick of each cycle, yielding a double data rate of 5.5Ghz.

I see no reason why the Jaguar can't be at 2.0Ghz in final kits, because there seems to be less silicon used (due to the die requirements of that 32MB ESRAM cache, it's made 'different' and requires lots of transistors). It's almost over and the details are nearly all out anyway.
    Does anyone know what process SONY is using? .22 or .28 nm?
    If .22, the Jaguars could be 2.0ghz. Who knows, i've heard 1.2ghz, 1.6ghz, and 2.0ghz. BLAH!

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Obviously the right choice. It is leaps and bounds above the XB1 as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft is playing the catch up game at this point. Still waiting for them to unveil some feature that Sony hasn't already. At this point it's "look at us dance as to take your mind off of what we just tried to do to you not 4 months back! Gamers! Woot woot woot!"

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I don't forgive so easily. The $500 price tag is still a blatant slap in the face if you ask me. Lower specs for a higher price. Not gonna happen.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Obviously the right choice. It is leaps and bounds above the XB1 as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft is playing the catch up game at this point. Still waiting for them to unveil some feature that Sony hasn't already. At this point it's "look at us dance as to take your mind off of what we just tried to do to you not 4 months back! Gamers! Woot woot woot!"

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I don't forgive so easily. The $500 price tag is still a blatant slap in the face if you ask me. Lower specs for a higher price. Not gonna happen.
    So then how do you explain the PS3?

Because outside of a few exclusives, it has delivered a subpar experience with most multiplat titles compared to the 360.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    I have preordered it. But I have some doubts because i havent heard anything lately from Sony camp. Just a flow of good news from MS.

How do you feel?
    I think you should go ahead and cancel your pre-order and go with a Xbox One, this will at least free up one more PS4 for someone that truly is excited for the system!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

24. Likes Mo-green28 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Because outside of a few exclusives, it has delivered a subpar experience with most multiplat titles compared to the 360.
    No need to bring up the past. This is the PS4 were talking about, which is a better choice than the XBO.
    Sony has showed us that they've learned from there mistakes that they have made, MS has showed me nothing that has impressed me one bit. MS is crossing there fingers at this point and hoping they have enough loyal fans and enough uneducated people buying consoles this holiday. MS has done nothing but fix mistakes, Sony has stayed the same throughout.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    You've already made a decision. Move forward with it.

If the past has you so troubled act on such if it suites you. Honestly if one is actually paying attention this shouldn't even be a question. Besides if your into multiplats anyway what good is that?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Want a good choice? Own them both. Problem solved!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Get one or both; either is a good choice. It all boils down to which exclusives you like better.

I personally will only be doing the PS4 (at least for the most of the gen). But If you can afford both (financially and time) then get both

29. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    You've already made a decision. Move forward with it.

If the past has you so troubled act on such if it suites you. Honestly if one is actually paying attention this shouldn't even be a question. Besides if your into multiplats anyway what good is that?
    What good is that? Well seeing as most games are multiplat, that would make it rather important.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    What good is that? Well seeing as most games are multiplat, that would make it rather important.
    If multiplats are your concern, they'll obviously be better on PS4 this gen. Easy to dev for and more raw power than the XB1. No reason whatsoever for titles to perform better on the Microsoft platform this upcoming generation.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    If multiplats are your concern, they'll obviously be better on PS4 this gen. Easy to dev for and more raw power than the XB1. No reason whatsoever for titles to perform better on the Microsoft platform this upcoming generation.
    MS still have the software advantage, I hate to admit it but they do have the best engineers in the field working on making it as easy/efficient to program for.

That said Ps4 will definitely get the end advantage. Ps3 developers have almost everything in terms of software and hardware working against them and even then they managed to at least match the 360's efforts. A slightly different less mature development environment on similar hardware will cause little trouble at all.

Thread Information