Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi (802.11 b,g,n) 2.4 GHz mixed mode

5 9.43%
  • WiFi 802.11n only(2.4GHz)

1 1.89%
  • WiFi 802.11n only (5.0GHz)

5 9.43%
  • WiFi 802.11n (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz dual band)

2 3.77%
  • WiFi 802.11 b,g (2.4GHz)

0 0%
  • WiFi 802.11g only (2.4GHz)

1 1.89%
  • WiFi 802.11b only (legacy)

2 3.77%
  • Gigabit Ethernet (LAN)

37 69.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    As far as what I've been told by people you can use a Cat5 cable and still get 1,000mbps connection without any problems, CAT 6 cables are the only cables compatible with the new 10,000Mbps which will become the next biggest upgrade in the next 4-5 years it's basically the new Gigabit Ethernet we're all using today.

CAT 5 cables will be fine, CAT 6 some are higher quality made when you pull them apart and notice the different, the main thing is don't go buying cheap and nasty cables for $1 etc, spend a little but not a lot
    As long as you have CAT 5E cabling you will be fine for 1Gbps speeds, I am glad I thought ahead when I had my house built back in '07 though, had every room wired with CAT 6 cabling, so bring on the 10Gbps speeds!

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Anyone use Cat 6 cable? Is it worth it?

Surely ISPs are going to have to start providing Gigabit routers at the moment my ISP provided router only has 1 Gigabit port the rest are 100MBit.
    I use CAT6 wiring at my house, and as of today you won't notice a different between CAT6 and CAT5E (unless you have lots of money), but when 10Gbps routers/switches/NICs drop in price down the road, that is when I will start to benefit from my wiring.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122542

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106043
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 09-09-2013 at 16:54.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ethernet cable all the way...

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

How will you connect your PS4 to the internet ?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yeah, I've observed the same thing. Stable > 200Mbps between my Router and an AP Gateway w/ PCs direct connected on either end. My Laptops and PCs over WiFi directly to each other get ~120Mbps as they aren't dual channel.

That's a bit interesting on torrents. I haven't run into the problem, but then again I'm only paying for a 25Mbps DL rate so my external connection is limited there and I haven't had any problems.
    ~120mbit on local network is not bad at all actually.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I run everything wireless right now. When the next gen systems are launching I'll have already wired my entire house for Ethernet connections in every room.
    I'm so jealous. Wifi is good enough for simple set ups but when devices are adding up and all want to download big files and fast, you can experience unnecessary problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    As long as you have CAT 5E cabling you will be fine for 1Gbps speeds, I am glad I thought ahead when I had my house built back in '07 though, had every room wired with CAT 6 cabling, so bring on the 10Gbps speeds!

I use CAT6 wiring at my house, and as of today you won't notice a different between CAT6 and CAT5E (unless you have lots of money), but when 10Gbps routers/switches/NICs drop in price down the road, that is when I will start to benefit from my wiring.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122542

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106043
    That is some serious future-proofing.
    In 20 years time you will have faster network than Tom Cruise in Minority Report. lol

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Ethernet cable most definitely. Just like now

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    That is some serious future-proofing.
    In 20 years time you will have faster network than Tom Cruise in Minority Report. lol

Yeah, it is probably extreme overkill, but when there were running the all the lines, I specifically bought a 1000' roll of CAT6 and asked them to run that instead of their cabling, the only suck-ass thing is that I had to add the RJ-45 CAT6 jacks and plugs to the ends of the cables which took some time! But in the end it all worked out, below is a picture of the closet in my office where everything is run to. I couldn't figure out a better way to handle the cables, so I just cut a section out of the wall panel door.

6. Likes F34R , MjW likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    That's an awesome installation man!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll call MClaw to come over and wire my house up!!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    That's an awesome installation man!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'll call MClaw to come over and wire my house up!!!
    I have cleaned it up a little more since this picture was taken, but because the builder cut off a nice chunk of the CAT6 lines that came into this box I was very limited to what I could do with the cables!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    Ethernet. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ps4 won't use 5ghz
    Pretty sure it will. Xbox One has it standard in fact most devices today have 5GHz connectivity e.g. My iphone 5 has a 2.4/5.0 GHz compatible WiFi hardware, it not as expensive as you think even my early 2011 17 inch Quad Core MacBook Pro has a 5GHz compatible WiFi card built in and that was almost 3 years ago.

Safe to say it will "more than likely" feature it.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Pretty sure it will. Xbox One has it standard in fact most devices today have 5GHz connectivity e.g. My iphone 5 has a 2.4/5.0 GHz compatible WiFi hardware, it not as expensive as you think even my early 2011 17 inch Quad Core MacBook Pro has a 5GHz compatible WiFi card built in and that was almost 3 years ago.

Safe to say it will "more than likely" feature it.
    Below is what the PS4 dev kits have for WiFi, I don't see the 5Ghz frequency range listed on there...I will see if I can find the FCC image for the PS4 as well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Below is what the PS4 dev kits have for WiFi, I don't see the 5Ghz frequency range listed on there...I will see if I can find the FCC image for the PS4 as well.

Maybe you're right we need to find the FCC stuff to confirm
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Surprised Wired is winning to be honest.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Wired all the way for me. Better reliability and performance. I had my PS3 on wifi for a couple of years but eventually wired it up instead. Much improved experience.

​aka Sparc

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Maybe you're right we need to find the FCC stuff to confirm
    Ok, found the info on the FCC site, and unfortunately, no 5Ghz WiFi on the PS4...sorry...

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Ok, found the info on the FCC site, and unfortunately, no 5Ghz WiFi on the PS4...sorry...

thats what I was worried about. I can't believe that in a console they expect to last 10 years and so focused on being online that they wouldn't have the latest tech. It should have wireless ac. Oh well thanks for posting.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    thats what I was worried about. I can't believe that in a console they expect to last 10 years and so focused on being online that they wouldn't have the latest tech. It should have wireless ac. Oh well thanks for posting.
    No problem! If the demand is there it could always show up in a future console revision, you never know!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Bah, you've got a 1Gbps ethernet. You can use it, even if you can't provide a wired source you could go w/ AP/Gateway that supports it then wired from it to your PS4.

The reality is that even after this generation is over in around 7yrs, we'll have a very small percentage of the population with a broadband connection to be able to take advantage of these speeds for internet access. Those that are willing to spend that kind of money on it, will also be willing to spend money on an AP/Gateway to provide this to their game console should they find it an advantage.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Yeah, it is probably extreme overkill, but when there were running the all the lines, I specifically bought a 1000' roll of CAT6 and asked them to run that instead of their cabling, the only suck-ass thing is that I had to add the RJ-45 CAT6 jacks and plugs to the ends of the cables which took some time! But in the end it all worked out, below is a picture of the closet in my office where everything is run to. I couldn't figure out a better way to handle the cables, so I just cut a section out of the wall panel door.

That's nice. I've been wanting something like that once I find a home to buy.

I like everything to be wired way too much, plus if the PS4 is anything like the PS3, it will be spotty with certain wireless routers (for me anyways).

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Since they are skimping on the wifi teck, It will be connected via the same 2.4 GHz wifi the PS3 is connected to. If i'm crazy enough I may bridge mt laptops ethernet port again since it's connected to the 5ghz channel (and the only thing besides the forgotten other console) Besides, my connection has been solid enough not to merit anything I would do, and rewiring the house ain't an option.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

That sucks. That makes the PS4 the only 2.4Ghz device in my house. Maybe it's time to consider an ethernet cable to the living room.

Thanks for posting.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    That sucks. That makes the PS4 the only 2.4Ghz device in my house. Maybe it's time to consider an ethernet cable to the living room.

Thanks for posting.
    LOL, I'll call BS on this unless you have no WiFi and no Bluetooth on any of your devices. While you may have an 802.11ac router it will also support 802.11n on 2.4GHz (I'm not aware of one 802.11ac router that doesn't) Also, I'm not aware of one 802.11ac end equipment today that only supports 802.11ac. The reason is that right now 802.11ac is very expensive.

And I'd suspect that you have at least some devices with Bluetooth which is all on 2.4GHz band.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    LOL, I'll call BS on this unless you have no WiFi and no Bluetooth on any of your devices. While you may have an 802.11ac router it will also support 802.11n on 2.4GHz (I'm not aware of one 802.11ac router that doesn't) Also, I'm not aware of one 802.11ac end equipment today that only supports 802.11ac. The reason is that right now 802.11ac is very expensive.

And I'd suspect that you have at least some devices with Bluetooth which is all on 2.4GHz band.
    I wasn't being so strict. I was referring to devices connected to the router and the ones I use the most. I will keep my Wii but it's rarely on, so I didn't count it in.
    The devices that are on often, are 2x iPhone 5, an iPad 2 that will get upgraded as soon as the new is out, the 360 (which will get the boot eventually) and soon the PS4.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yeah, I was mainly given you $#@! for making such a strict statement. At this point in time it's pretty damn hard to be off of 2.4GHz totally. And I really don't see it as being a big deal, though I've been moving that direction myself.

I can see ~18 SSIDs from inside my house when scanning for them (more like 5 when typical equipment looks and only one with a signal strength that I could actually connect to besides my own.) I have no issues w/ Network delays or throughput performance between machines in the household. While 5GHz is a nice to have, in a home environment it's not even close to being critical.

That said, go to an office space environment and it can become a much more critical concern and was the real push behind 802.11ac and desire to move to the 5GHz band. This will also better enable public wifi. So while it may disappoint some, I can't really say I personally care that it doesn't have 802.11ac or support Dual Band on 802.11n.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Yeah, I was mainly given you $#@! for making such a strict statement. At this point in time it's pretty damn hard to be off of 2.4GHz totally. And I really don't see it as being a big deal, though I've been moving that direction myself.

I can see ~18 SSIDs from inside my house when scanning for them (more like 5 when typical equipment looks and only one with a signal strength that I could actually connect to besides my own.) I have no issues w/ Network delays or throughput performance between machines in the household. While 5GHz is a nice to have, in a home environment it's not even close to being critical.

That said, go to an office space environment and it can become a much more critical concern and was the real push behind 802.11ac and desire to move to the 5GHz band. This will also better enable public wifi. So while it may disappoint some, I can't really say I personally care that it doesn't have 802.11ac or support Dual Band on 802.11n.
    No worries, sorry if that came out wrong. I'm on my second gin&tonic by the way. lol

I have way more bluetooth devices that wifi. So in reality I wont really be getting rid of 2.4Ghz, and that's why I was hoping to separate my bluetooth devices from the wifi devices.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost

I think that having 5 ghz in the home is important. It won't be long before we surpass the throughput of n on 2.4. I already do for my router. I have the trendnet tew-812dru and it gets about 53mbs on n 2.4. I have 65mbs Internet speed, and that's right now. Who knows what my speeds will be in a few years.

Here are some recent speed tests cnet did on current routers. The numbers on the left are long range and on the right are at 15 ft. 77mbs for the fastest tested doesn't leave much room for growth.

CNET Labs 2.4GHz Wireless-N performance (Measured in Mbps)
    (Longer bars indicate better performance)

Range

Throughput
    Trendnet TEW-692GR
    31.3 77.8
    Netgear WNDR4000
    23.9 67.8
    Linksys EA4500
    41.6 62.4
    WD My Net N900 HD
    16 58.1
    Asus RT-N66U
    45.5 55