Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi (802.11 b,g,n) 2.4 GHz mixed mode

5 9.43%
  • WiFi 802.11n only(2.4GHz)

1 1.89%
  • WiFi 802.11n only (5.0GHz)

5 9.43%
  • WiFi 802.11n (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz dual band)

2 3.77%
  • WiFi 802.11 b,g (2.4GHz)

0 0%
  • WiFi 802.11g only (2.4GHz)

1 1.89%
  • WiFi 802.11b only (legacy)

2 3.77%
  • Gigabit Ethernet (LAN)

37 69.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr

Post How will you connect your PS4 to the internet ?

Now this may seem like a pointless thread because a lot of people are going to say "the same internet connection i've always used" whether that be WiFi and/or ethernet, however in my case I recently discovered that I have way too many WiFi devices in my house and that that as of now, I'm starting to see a large drop in WiFi performance and even though I'm using an 802.11n 2.4/5.0 dual band WiFi router that is supposed to be capable of up to 32 devices theoretically, real world performance suffers.. I did a speed test last night with my router, 4 devices were connected and weren't drawing much bandwidth from the router and My ping was 19ms with 48mbps down, 1.24mbps up.

I did the same test again this time with gigabit ethernet directly to my cable modem and I got 5ms ping 122mbps down and 2.84mbps up much much improved, so today I have replaced 3 major WiFi devices with wired connections and a spare wired connection is there ready for PS4.

I didn't ever remember having any real slow downs the past two years at my place with WiFi, there are however 12 visible SSID's that are within range on my street, it could possibly be the Wii U I purchased recently (that thing has the worst WiFi hardware in the world, drop outs all the time (one of the main reasons for going wired) it apparently uses WiFi direct 5.0GHz to connect the gamepad to the system, wireless devices are flying everywhere, my home theatre system has wireless speakers that operate in the 2.4GHz spectrum then there's iPad, 2 iPhone, 2 MBP laptops, PS3, Wii U, 2 wireless printers, TV, blu-ray player in bedroom, Vita and that's all I can think of at the moment.

So anyway long story short has anyone else experienced WiFi performance issues that bad that they've switched back to wired connections?... I think gaming really benefits from a wired connection it seems blazing compared to wireless, it seems wireless even though it's improved greatly over the years just still doesn't cut it especially when there's a trillion radio devices connecting to everything all over the street

MY PS4 IS GOING TO BE WIRED TO THE CLOUD
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ethernet.

My TV and phones are the only devices that uses wifi.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-07-2013 at 11:01.

3. Likes PS4THEWIN, chriharr likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    the same internet ive always used!!! lol. Wireless for me though... i have my PC hardlined into the router, and i spend much too much time moving my PS3 from my living room to my room so i can play some games on there while i watch netflix on my PS3, wirelessly of course. When i get my PS4, the PS3 will probably be moving to my room permanently. I can pretty much guarentee ill be using it as a netflix box from that point on save for a few PS3 games (Beyond, MGS:GZ, then it will move back to my living room for the time being).

Also the only reason i know what kind of router i have is because i just replaced it like, a month ago lol

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Wireless as this gen. Only iMac is connected with gigabit Ethernet.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I see wireless n 5 ghz as an option. That is what I would use but does ps4 even support 5 ghz band?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    By connecting it to my Wi fi and playing
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    I see wireless n 5 ghz as an option. That is what I would use but does ps4 even support 5 ghz band?
    I'd like to believe that it will support 5Ghz. It is 2013 anyway.

On the other hand Sony sold a digital only, portable console with 802.11b.

On the move with Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Ethernet for me.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Ethernet for me as well

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    By connecting it to my Wi fi and playing

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The WiFi performance should have nothing to do with the number of connections, but the activity that's going on. I personally have 17 devices connected to my wifi at any given time, but not a lot of activity. Performance tests usually have my ping rate < 20ms and DL rates of ~20-25Mbps and ~16mbps UL (which is the top end of the Data Rate performance of the cable modem service I'm paying for - more than sufficient for my needs.) I get maybe a 2-3ms improvement in ping rate by connecting via the 1Gbps Ethernet on my Cable Modem.

I will say that you can start running into DL/UL rate limitations, but there's no way you should see that kind of increase on the ping rate over WiFi unless you don't have things setup correctly. You may want to look into using port forwarding to help this, though 14ms difference isn't really that significant of an increase. I'm sure you'll end up finding that the bottleneck will not be you wifi but somewhere between you and PSN servers for DL games and content on the PS4.

Personally, I'm not pulling wires through my walls up two floors to the attic, across the house, and back down into my Game Room for a direct LAN connection when I know it's not going to buy me anything. I'll be use 802.11n dual band connection.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Ethernet. I have my modem/router right next to my home entertainment center.

Veteran
    Ethernet for me

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    I'm pretty sure Sony will offer dual band 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz 802.11n radios with PS4 they would be crazy not to as Xbox One has it standard in the box
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Will be wireless..as always..router has perfect line of sight so...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    If I had a choice I'd go Ethernet cable, but I didn't so I'll connect to the 802.11n dual band network I use now. Cable service is on a different floor on the other side of the house. I did however essentially remove any 802.11g devices I had on that network along the way since n networks drop down to g for compatibility, by adding 802.11n wireless Ethernet extenders, and I now run a second separate 802.11g network for legacy devices. I currently see an average test speed of 31.63Mbps down and 7.75Mbps up over wireless, I ping back at 34ms.

I may have to track down an Ethernet cable and try a direct test, be interesting to see if there's any difference and if so by how much. Not that it would be viable as a long term solution in this house, but maybe the next house will be wired properly.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Ethernet for me as well as I have tried the wireless before and it was bad as I lost so much with my different speed.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    The WiFi performance should have nothing to do with the number of connections, but the activity that's going on. I personally have 17 devices connected to my wifi at any given time, but not a lot of activity. Performance tests usually have my ping rate < 20ms and DL rates of ~20-25Mbps and ~16mbps UL (which is the top end of the Data Rate performance of the cable modem service I'm paying for - more than sufficient for my needs.) I get maybe a 2-3ms improvement in ping rate by connecting via the 1Gbps Ethernet on my Cable Modem.

I will say that you can start running into DL/UL rate limitations, but there's no way you should see that kind of increase on the ping rate over WiFi unless you don't have things setup correctly. You may want to look into using port forwarding to help this, though 14ms difference isn't really that significant of an increase. I'm sure you'll end up finding that the bottleneck will not be you wifi but somewhere between you and PSN servers for DL games and content on the PS4.

Personally, I'm not pulling wires through my walls up two floors to the attic, across the house, and back down into my Game Room for a direct LAN connection when I know it's not going to buy me anything. I'll be use 802.11n dual band connection.
    Wireless can be setup to perform as good as ethernet in many situations, as long as the home you are living is ideal, placement of the router correct, and you choose the best components.

When I had the PC I was at 2-3 ping with speeds around 90-120Mbit. Ethernet had the same ping but throughput was at 100%, stable 200Mbits, my connection at the time.

It also solved other "wireless problems". For example, when I was wirelessly downloading torrents at ~100Mbits, my Bluetooth HTPC keyboard/mouse would start getting irritating slowdowns, making it unusable. To my surprise changing to Ethernet fixed that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Ethernet

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    We have a 150mb/s connection at home, would be a shame to use wi-fi eh?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Wireless can be setup to perform as good as ethernet in many situations, as long as the home you are living is ideal, placement of the router correct, and you choose the best components.

When I had the PC I was at 2-3 ping with speeds around 90-120Mbit. Ethernet had the same ping but throughput was at 100%, stable 200Mbits, my connection at the time.

It also solved other "wireless problems". For example, when I was wirelessly downloading torrents at ~100Mbits, my Bluetooth HTPC keyboard/mouse would start getting irritating slowdowns, making it unusable. To my surprise changing to Ethernet fixed that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah, I've observed the same thing. Stable > 200Mbps between my Router and an AP Gateway w/ PCs direct connected on either end. My Laptops and PCs over WiFi directly to each other get ~120Mbps as they aren't dual channel.

That's a bit interesting on torrents. I haven't run into the problem, but then again I'm only paying for a 25Mbps DL rate so my external connection is limited there and I haven't had any problems.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I run everything wireless right now. When the next gen systems are launching I'll have already wired my entire house for Ethernet connections in every room.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Anyone use Cat 6 cable? Is it worth it?

Surely ISPs are going to have to start providing Gigabit routers at the moment my ISP provided router only has 1 Gigabit port the rest are 100MBit.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-09-2013 at 06:26.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Anyone use Cat 6 cable? Is it worth it?

Surely ISPs are going to have to start providing Gigabit routers at the moment my ISP provided router only has 1 Gigabit port the rest are 100MBit.
    As far as what I've been told by people you can use a Cat5 cable and still get 1,000mbps connection without any problems, CAT 6 cables are the only cables compatible with the new 10,000Mbps which will become the next biggest upgrade in the next 4-5 years it's basically the new Gigabit Ethernet we're all using today.

CAT 5 cables will be fine, CAT 6 some are higher quality made when you pull them apart and notice the different, the main thing is don't go buying cheap and nasty cables for $1 etc, spend a little but not a lot

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Ethernet. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ps4 won't use 5ghz

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Thread Information