View Poll Results: You wish story modes were . . .

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer! Tired of 10-12 hour games.

4 44.44%
  • Harder! Tired of playing super hard mode for a challenge.

0 0%
  • Had more to do! This excludes open world games.

0 0%
  • Had more replay value! I want more bang for my buck!

1 11.11%
  • Better Co op options! I want to play with my friends across the world!

1 11.11%
  • Other.

3 33.33%
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

How could the industry improve story modes for the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U gen?

For you single player or co op story mode players out there, you've probably played PS1, PS2, and at least PS3 story modes at one point right? Even if all you do is play FPS and you're an online gamer.

If the video game industry asked you, "[Insert your name], how can we improve story modes in next gen video games?" What would you say?

Me? I'd say make story modes longer. I wish games like Uncharted and God of War had longer story modes. I was talking to my big brother about this and he said it's common for action games to be shorter. I wish that wasn't the case.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Longer campaigns would help in some cases. I certainly want a good game to last as long as possible (without the story feeling dragged out). I also personally wish we had more splitscreen coop options, which helps a lot on the gameplay side. Coop is amazing fun with a friend.

A greater core benefit would if the story itself was just told better. We have a lot of games now that go for the movie-esque type of storytelling with huge set pieces and cinematic action. That's all fine and dandy, but it's become a strong theme over the last generation now that hardware has allowed for it to exist. What we need is stories to be told in their own way. We need variety, and it needs to work in a meaningful way so that the adventure and story you experience sticks with you by the end.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 09-07-2013 at 12:06.

3. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I voted longer, but there are several other things that could be improved. Some games are just too linear, the possibility to explore bigger areas of the game if you wanted to would be nice. It should be like the equivalent of side quests in RPG's, which gives you a broader view of the world and adds something to the story. More elements implemented than just run and gun would also be nice if that was more common than it is today. There are several games (Mass Effect, Borderlands, Dead Island) that does this allready, but I would like to see more of it. Branching storylines is another thing, that would add to the replay value.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    So then should video games tell stories like books? I believe video games are closer to movies than books.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    Longer! Tired of 10-12 hour games. I think this would suit some games just fine, sacrifice replay value for over 20 hours of good single campaign experience, and like I said sacrificing replay value which means no Collect 100 poops stuff, I want the game story to be over 20 hours.

I wanted to vote "Had more to do." But, it had the caveat, "This excludes open world games." So I voted Longer. Because I want to INCLUDE open world games. They need to be longer, but not just for the sake of dragging things out or not by adding a bunch of grinding or useless fetch missions / quests. They need to be longer and have more meaningful, non-repetitive monotonous things to do. And they I would also emphasize that far out trophy-collector type of things do not equal the type of replay value and length that I'm looking for.

Take a game like GTA IV. Yeah, it's long... but only if you do a bunch of boring taxi missions, deliveries and substance-less dating / relationship building quests with repetitive mini-games or look for a bunch of random floating things in obscure parts of the map.

For adventure / rpg type games.. better puzzles, that aren't so obvious. Prince Of Persia had some pretty good ones. The gameplay mechanics just sucked. Lol.

So many things are lacking.

Superior Member
    Write better stories. Most gaming companies write terrible stories thus making the single player portion of the game not interesting to play.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    It all comes down to money in the end, unfortunately.
    Of course you need a good story but the more money you have the better writer you can hire.
    It reminds me of some of those cheesy Sci-Fi movies that are sometimes hard to watch but a lot of them have pretty decent stories IMO, and if those movies had way bigger budgets those movies would turn from a B-Rate flick into a blockbuster hit. IMO.
    Just the opposite happens too. I've seen plenty of high budget movies that if it weren't for all the special effects and crazy camera work and distractions, the movie would kinda suck IMO.
    But yeah better writing and voice acting goes a long way and with the new consoles coming engaging stories should be much much easier to achieve now being able to show full emotion on characters faces, allowing for subtleties to be easily read. That alone will help immensely for overall story telling IMO.
    Last edited by TEST SUBJECT 83; 09-08-2013 at 11:36.

Thread Information