Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    My rechargeable battery packs from Microsoft for my 360 controller....

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Well that's how batteries tend to work. If you want your batteries to wear prematurely, the go ahead and keep on doing what you said. I have no trouble unplugging my devices shortly after they are fully charged. Been doing it like that for years, so it is realistic for me.

I have no idea which rechargables you are talking about, but I doubt they are eneloops. They are the gold standard. And the article I linked to showed enough of a gap between the sixaxis and 360 controller that even if rechargables didn't meet or exceed the runtime of the alkaline battery, they would still likely outlast the lithium battery in the sixaxis/ds3.

Did you take into account that Sanyo also sells their higher capacity (XX) eneloops with a Minimum capacity of 2450 mAh?

You can't tell me having options is a bad thing?
    Yes, you can get higher capacity Eneloops at a cost. That said, the fact that I'd have to pull them out to charge is a major negative to me.

You have to keep in mind that the 30-40hrs I got on a charge on my DS3 has never been an issue for me. I'd expect the DS4 to be somewhere in the same ballpark, but even if for some reason it dropped to 20hrs on the DS4 (which I highly doubt) it would never be an issue. I don't do 20hr+ straight gaming sessions, I doubt anyone here does. Plugging it up to charge at the end of gaming is significantly less of a hassle than pulling batteries to recharge, or replace, and to even get to an equivalent point you have to pay an extra $25 to get a play and charge kit.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand these points.

3. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yes, you can get higher capacity Eneloops at a cost. That said, the fact that I'd have to pull them out to charge is a major negative to me.

You have to keep in mind that the 30-40hrs I got on a charge on my DS3 has never been an issue for me. I'd expect the DS4 to be somewhere in the same ballpark, but even if for some reason it dropped to 20hrs on the DS4 (which I highly doubt) it would never be an issue. I don't do 20hr+ straight gaming sessions, I doubt anyone here does. Plugging it up to charge at the end of gaming is significantly less of a hassle than pulling batteries to recharge, or replace, and to even get to an equivalent point you have to pay an extra $25 to get a play and charge kit.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand these points.
    I don't get why its so hard to understand that many people don't care for a fixed, internal, non removable battery.

Veteran
    Well that's how batteries tend to work. If you want your batteries to wear prematurely, the go ahead and keep on doing what you said. I have no trouble unplugging my devices shortly after they are fully charged. Been doing it like that for years, so it is realistic for me.

I have no idea which rechargables you are talking about, but I doubt they are eneloops. They are the gold standard. And the article I linked to showed enough of a gap between the sixaxis and 360 controller that even if rechargables didn't meet or exceed the runtime of the alkaline battery, they would still likely outlast the lithium battery in the sixaxis/ds3.

Did you take into account that Sanyo also sells their higher capacity (XX) eneloops with a Minimum capacity of 2450 mAh?

You can't tell me having options is a bad thing?
    Been checking out these Eneloops, Having to charge them for 10 hours is a big turn off...especially for gaming. You can charge them at a faster rate but in doing so it seems to dramatically change the life of the battery.

I can see no advantage of these types of batteries over Xbox battery packs. Pretty sure good eneloops come out more expensive as well as more hassle.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I don't get why its so hard to understand that many people don't care for a fixed, internal, non removable battery.
    When people don't care for something, they usually have a reason that the alternative is better. Please do us all a favor and provide one.

The major supposition back when this was announced on the Six Axis was that the battery would die (not discharge but die as in no longer can be charged) and you couldn't replace it. You know how often I've heard of peoples batteries dying on a Six Axis or DS3? I'll tell you, I've never heard of it happening.

Soldier 95B
    When people don't care for something, they usually have a reason that the alternative is better. Please do us all a favor and provide one.

The major supposition back when this was announced on the Six Axis was that the battery would die (not discharge but die as in no longer can be charged) and you couldn't replace it. You know how often I've heard of peoples batteries dying on a Six Axis or DS3? I'll tell you, I've never heard of it happening.
    I am not the only one who has replaced their controller (DS) due to the battery no longer holding a charge longer than a few minutes. I don't care for the DS because of the layout and because of the battery.

When my DS battery dies while playing a game, I needed to go into my media room and plug it in to charge. I can't play the game until the battery is charged up. With the 360 controller, when the battery runs out of juice, I pop in a new battery and put the dead battery back on the charger.

I killed two birds with one stone to solve my controller issue with the PS3. I went and bought the Pro-Elite with swappable rechargeable batteries, and it has the 360 controller layout.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am not the only one who has replaced their controller (DS) due to the battery no longer holding a charge longer than a few minutes. I don't care for the DS because of the layout and because of the battery.

When my DS battery dies while playing a game, I needed to go into my media room and plug it in to charge. I can't play the game until the battery is charged up. With the 360 controller, when the battery runs out of juice, I pop in a new battery and put the dead battery back on the charger.

I killed two birds with one stone to solve my controller issue with the PS3. I went and bought the Pro-Elite with swappable rechargeable batteries, and it has the 360 controller layout.
    Seriously man, you have all these gadgets and not a second DS3 controller?
    Give me your address and I'll send one to you. lol

I had 5 before I gave one away.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

Ok, and while you admittedly had a bad experience with the internal battery it's the exception not the rule. I've got 3 DS3's all of them working perfectly fine.

For me personally, I don't see having replaceable batteries which based on available data have an extremely low probability of dying during the life of my system as an advantage.

I'll have two DS4 controllers on day one as I game w/ my son occasionally. I'll get at least 2 more eventually as my son has friends over and they do play some 4 player games (I may even join in.) We keep the controllers not being used topped off. If for some reason we ever do get low on juice we can swap out.

Personally, I've only had controllers become totally discharged on me twice, both time were do to my son not charging them after a bunch of gaming while I hadn't been gaming so they didn't get charged. My son's a bit older now, so that's no longer an issue.

And just to get this straight, you're effectively telling me you have only on DS3 controller right?

Regarding the layout, that's personal preference, people have different preferences plan and simple. I prefer my Analog sticks to be in the same plane, this feels more natural to me. I never had any Ergo issues with either controller. That said, I'm glad Sony addressed this on DS4 for those that did have Ergo issues.

Superior Member

As an added note, you could always buy a new battery for the DS3 that's over 3 times the capacity for $5 that's very easy to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Seriously man, you have all these gadgets and not a second DS3 controller?
    Give me your address and I'll send one to you. lol
    No need for two, when I didn't like the one

And just to get this straight, you're effectively telling me you have only on DS3 controller right?
    "Had" only a DS controller. No longer have it. I have a Pro-Elite controller now.

Regarding the layout, that's personal preference, people have different preferences plan and simple. I prefer my Analog sticks to be in the same plane, this feels more natural to me. I never had any Ergo issues with either controller. That said, I'm glad Sony addressed this on DS4 for those that did have Ergo issues.
    Indeed, it's a personal preference no doubt. There are a bazillion people out there using the DS controller without ergo issues.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, different scenarios for different people...

We change batteries quite often in the 360 controllers. With the DS3, I would just have to plug my usb cable in, and keep going. However, both last a night of gaming w/o issues. I'm glad my five year old DS3 is able to last an entire night w/o needing to be charged. I usually just plug it in during non gaming sessions.

With the DS3, I've not had to spend an extra dime on batteries, cables, etc.
    With the 360, I've spent about $80 on rechargeable battery packs, and play n charge kits.

Forum Sage

There is no fixed internal battery that can malfunction/wear out/be damaged. So you don't have to ship off your controller to sony/buy a new one if the battery has issues.

You can use your own AA batteries if you wish. Or you can buy a play and charge kit if you don't like swapping AA batteries (I'm sure a quick charge kit will be released in the future).

So if you use AA's and your batteries die, you can swap them out in a few seconds and get back to playing. (keeping the controller wireless, instead of having a charging cable attached).

Or if you prefer, use the play and charge kit, hook up the cable (micro usb) and have the controller charge while you are still using it (or just because you don't feel like removing the battery to charge it).

If the batteries have a problem, they are easily replaceable. You can always have extra charged batteries on hand for a quick swap.

We don't know about the play and charge battery, but using good quality rechargables (eneloops), you will have greater battery capacity than the inbuilt battery on the DS4.

And unlike the 360 controller, the battery compartment is built into the controller so it doesn't awkwardly protrude out from the bottom of the controller which negatively affected comfort/ergonomics.

Soldier 95B
    I thought I remember Sony stating they would replace your controller free of charge if the battery stopped charging.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I thought I remember Sony stating they would replace your controller free of charge if the battery stopped charging.
    That was for the Sixaxis controller. The DS3 comes with instructions on how to replace the battery.

[SOURCE]
    Last edited by F34R; 09-09-2013 at 21:02.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    There is no fixed internal battery that can malfunction/wear out/be damaged. So you don't have to ship off your controller to sony/buy a new one if the battery has issues.

You can use your own AA batteries if you wish. Or you can buy a play and charge kit if you don't like swapping AA batteries (I'm sure a quick charge kit will be released in the future).

So if you use AA's and your batteries die, you can swap them out in a few seconds and get back to playing. (keeping the controller wireless, instead of having a charging cable attached).

Or if you prefer, use the play and charge kit, hook up the cable (micro usb) and have the controller charge while you are still using it (or just because you don't feel like removing the battery to charge it).

If the batteries have a problem, they are easily replaceable. You can always have extra charged batteries on hand for a quick swap.

We don't know about the play and charge battery, but using good quality rechargables (eneloops), you will have greater battery capacity than the inbuilt battery on the DS4.

And unlike the 360 controller, the battery compartment is built into the controller so it doesn't awkwardly protrude out from the bottom of the controller which negatively affected comfort/ergonomics.
    Like I mentioned, I hate swapping out batteries on a constant basis, I hate spending another $25 for a play and charge kit. I have never ever had a problem with one of my DS3 controller batteries period. I'm sure it's possible, but extremely rare so why should a care. I have multiple DS3 controllers anyway and I'll have multiple DS4 controllers. For the price of 2 XB1 controllers with Play and Charge kits, I can buy 3 DS4 controllers. I'll end up with 4 of them in the end anyway.

As mentioned I've only twice had the battery on one of my DS3 go to a completely discharged state in 6yrs of usage, I simply swapped out the controller with one of my others and plugged the one I was using up to the PS3 to charge. And if I wanted to I could have simply plug it up directly as well and keep playing like Play and Charge.

The major point that keeps really coming up and admittedly it can be a point for concern if it wasn't so frigging rare that I've never heard anyone actually claim that it's happened to them until this thread is about the internal battery giving out. I'm sure its happened, but hell given how frequently its reported I'd suspect that console failure is at least an order of magnitude more likely to occur. Give that to me it's of no concern.

You have the right to believe the more expensive and in general time consuming option is better, and I have the right to believe the less expensive with a chance in hell of the controllers battery going belly up to be a better solution.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    vice versa.

Forum Sage
    Like I mentioned, I hate swapping out batteries on a constant basis, I hate spending another $25 for a play and charge kit. I have never ever had a problem with one of my DS3 controller batteries period. I'm sure it's possible, but extremely rare so why should a care. I have multiple DS3 controllers anyway and I'll have multiple DS4 controllers. For the price of 2 XB1 controllers with Play and Charge kits, I can buy 3 DS4 controllers. I'll end up with 4 of them in the end anyway.

As mentioned I've only twice had the battery on one of my DS3 go to a completely discharged state in 6yrs of usage, I simply swapped out the controller with one of my others and plugged the one I was using up to the PS3 to charge. And if I wanted to I could have simply plug it up directly as well and keep playing like Play and Charge.

The major point that keeps really coming up and admittedly it can be a point for concern if it wasn't so frigging rare that I've never heard anyone actually claim that it's happened to them until this thread is about the internal battery giving out. I'm sure its happened, but hell given how frequently its reported I'd suspect that console failure is at least an order of magnitude more likely to occur. Give that to me it's of no concern.

You have the right to believe the more expensive and in general time consuming option is better, and I have the right to believe the less expensive with a chance in hell of the controllers battery going belly up to be a better solution.
    This is funny. A lot of people like to extoll the virtues of removable batteries in other CE products, but in a controller it is an issue? Just look at the samsung galaxy phones. Many people will say that they love the removable battery and that is one of the major reasons they bought that phone.

More expensive? Not for me, I have several rechargeable aa's on hand. Also you forget that you can just plug in and use a micro usb cable to power the controller, without any batteries. Another advantage.

All I know is that it is quite telling that there weren't any threads about this back when the 360 launched with this ability. But suddenly it is an issue for the X1 for continuing the same policy that many people liked.

MS spent 100 million on the X1 controller, if the demand was there, they would have put in an internal rechargeable battery.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-

DS4 vs Xbox One Controller

The difference is that the Galaxy doesn't take AA batteries and all Galaxy phones come with their Play & Charge kit when you buy them.

Soldier 95B
    The major point that keeps really coming up and admittedly it can be a point for concern if it wasn't so frigging rare that I've never heard anyone actually claim that it's happened to them until this thread is about the internal battery giving out.
    You should visit us over at the official Playstation forums. You will find more than "rare" there. That said, I have had a 360 battery stop holding it's charge way early as well.

Forum Sage
    The difference is that the Galaxy doesn't take AA batteries and all Galaxy phones come with their Play & Charge kit when you buy them.

MS does give you a set of batteries with the controller. It wouldn't make sense to include the play and charge cable (which is a non proprietary micro usb cable) for a battery someone may not use, and including the cable + battery along with the controller would cost too much. They already put in a headset we weren't expecting. And are offering an additional game at no extra costing in certain regions.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    This is funny. A lot of people like to extoll the virtues of removable batteries in other CE products, but in a controller it is an issue? Just look at the samsung galaxy phones. Many people will say that they love the removable battery and that is one of the major reasons they bought that phone.

More expensive? Not for me, I have several rechargeable aa's on hand. Also you forget that you can just plug in and use a micro usb cable to power the controller, without any batteries. Another advantage.

All I know is that it is quite telling that there weren't any threads about this back when the 360 launched with this ability. But suddenly it is an issue for the X1 for continuing the same policy that many people liked.

MS spent 100 million on the X1 controller, if the demand was there, they would have put in an internal rechargeable battery.
    This really depends on what it is. Smart Phones, hell yeah, most of use discharge our smartphones to < 50% of the battery on a daily basis and need to recharge it on a daily basis. The amount of current on the battery when actively using the phone is much higher than that of the battery on a game console controller when actively using it.

Batteries deteriorate much more significantly under relatively high current discharging and charging of the batteries. This is much pronounced in Smart Phone usage than it is in Controller batteries.

I won't buy a smart phone that I can't replace the battery on. But you also have to look at the fact that it's a higher risk in terms of much greater probability of the battery dying during the life of the phone and also the cost of replacing the battery and or phone if it does die.

These are vastly different between a Smart Phone and a Controller.

I never liked it on the 360, and there were plenty of complaints about it back then. I don't give a rats ass about MS spending $100M on the X1 Controller (though I believe those numbers to be inflated by MS.) I see that MS only 1/2 fixed the problem - they got the big ass blocky batter pack out from the middle of the bottom of the controller.

23. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Master Guru

Non issue in regards to removable batteries.

Some like it, some don't. Same goes with non removable.

I prefer removable as it doesn't require me to plug it in to anything to charge due to inconvenience.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

we were talking about products, and marketing in class and some kid brought up game systems and some of us including my professor which i played call of duty with before haha, $#@!in weird (online)

they were discussing the advantages of the removable battery (this was last year)

we basically arrived to the same conclusion as you guys .

all the girls in the class thought the removable battery thing was stupid and annoying.

at the end we came to the conclusion that removable batteries really have no advantage as everyone that had a ps3 in class ended up having an average of 3 or more controllers, one atleast to be always charged. plus we found it to be cheaper, instead of buying batteries or buying a play and charge kit.

personally I dont care both work in my eyes.. only issue i have is that this is 2014 almost.. controllers shouldnt use AA batteries anymore.. i wish the new xbox one had batteries like the ps4, but also to be able to clip it out.. so that if it ever does become weak or broken you can throw it out and buy a new one ($10 max) would not pay more.. same with ds4. the option to remove it should be there even if it is apart of the controller like in the ps3.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Quote Originally Posted by dezine View Post
    we were talking about products, and marketing in class and some kid brought up game systems and some of us including my professor which i played call of duty with before haha, $#@!in weird (online)

they were discussing the advantages of the removable battery (this was last year)

we basically arrived to the same conclusion as you guys .

all the girls in the class thought the removable battery thing was stupid and annoying.

at the end we came to the conclusion that removable batteries really have no advantage as everyone that had a ps3 in class ended up having an average of 3 or more controllers, one atleast to be always charged. plus we found it to be cheaper, instead of buying batteries or buying a play and charge kit.

personally I dont care both work in my eyes.. only issue i have is that this is 2014 almost.. controllers shouldnt use AA batteries anymore.. i wish the new xbox one had batteries like the ps4, but also to be able to clip it out.. so that if it ever does become weak or broken you can throw it out and buy a new one ($10 max) would not pay more.. same with ds4. the option to remove it should be there even if it is apart of the controller like in the ps3.
    You can get a DS3 battery for $7-8 from amazon. You can't just clip it out and dispose of it, but as F34R pointed out, you can follow the PS3 user manual to unscrew 4 screws and change the battery.
    Just clipping it out would have been more practical for many people. Personally I enjoy a bit of DIY but haven't had the need yet, and I still have a working controller from launch.
    Last edited by MjW; 09-13-2013 at 09:25.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    You can get a DS3 battery for $7-8 from amazon. You can't just clip it out and dispose of it, but as F34R pointed out, you can follow the PS3 user manual to unscrew 4 screws and change the battery.
    Just clipping it out would have been more practical for many people. Personally I enjoy a bit of DIY but haven't had the need yet, and I still have a working controller from launch.
    Yeah they seem to last forever... Never had a problem with the battery life.

I think it's safe to say that the controller will break (buttons don't respond properly anymore etc) long before your battery dies.

Tapatalkin'

Thread Information