Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    I thought you had the Six Core 1055T Morg ?? Also remember you saying you were building your own case ??
    Nah. The case I'm designing is for my upcoming build and I decided against the 1055T because it was a six core and because that particular lineup ended at the six cores and not the eight cores. Plus, I decided to wait until I hear about AM4. I never did like those half-step socket upgrades.

Believe me, you'll see what my case looks like after I actually build it.

2. Likes John25 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    My three year old PC should still smack this game around like a red-headed step child. My AMD CPU is a quad core but should still handle everything fine. I do think the recommended specs are a bit inflated though.
    You should be fine your CPU/RAM is Quad channel right that's more than enough on that side of things, GPU looks good too

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    You should be fine your CPU/RAM is Quad channel right that's more than enough on that side of things, GPU looks good too
    No. I'm sorry but while my CPU is a quad core (I have Phenom II x4 965 running at 3.4GHz) my RAM is only dual channel. My GPUs are two Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 with 2GB GDDR5 ram apiece running in Crossfire X. Truth be told, Civilizations 5 gives my system more headaches than I think Battlefield 4 will.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Well seems like I will be able to run it on 1920x1080 no problem but will have some issues performance wise with my native resolution which is 2560x1440.

My specs are as following:

CPU - 3.4 GHZ 4 Cores
    Ram - 16 GBs
    GPU - Ati Radeon HD 7950 3 Gbs

I guess in order to play it on my native resolution I will have to get a much better gpu, might need a faster CPU as well just to increase the overall performance. I guess the GPU I need should be a $#@!ing beast.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Xfire 7950 perform exceptionally well. That said, I would always rather have a single GPU solution. 1440p is quite a challenge for a lot of cards including my GTX 780. What 7950 is it and what CPU? There are a lot more factors than just VRAM on gpus.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxia View Post
    Xfire 7950 perform exceptionally well. That said, I would always rather have a single GPU solution. 1440p is quite a challenge for a lot of cards including my GTX 780. What 7950 is it and what CPU? There are a lot more factors than just VRAM on gpus.
    Intel Core I7-3770 3.40 GHZ
    Ati Radeon HD7950 Standard Edition

Forum Sage
    Well personally I do not think the CPU will bottleneck although it will be under a lot of strain. Have you considered or already overclocked it? Even a modest one to 4.0-4.4ghz will benefit you massively and is a great 'upgrade. Personally I think (this is baseless speculation) that you will be able to run it fine on medium-high you just won't run on MAX which a lot of people don't do anyway. I think it's going to be more than adequately playable and you shouldn't take any action until you have the game first. Don't forget the beta is out soon so that would be a good benchmark There is also room for a small overclock on the 7950, I believe you can make it run at 7970 speeds.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Well personally I do not think the CPU will bottleneck although it will be under a lot of strain. Have you considered or already overclocked it? Even a modest one to 4.0-4.4ghz will benefit you massively and is a great 'upgrade. Personally I think (this is baseless speculation) that you will be able to run it fine on medium-high you just won't run on MAX which a lot of people don't do anyway. I think it's going to be more than adequately playable and you shouldn't take any action until you have the game first. Don't forget the beta is out soon so that would be a good benchmark There is also room for a small overclock on the 7950, I believe you can make it run at 7970 speeds.
    Yeah but the thing is that I dont really like neither trust overclocking, especially in my case where I wont be adding any additional cooling. I think I will do ok, I might even get a completely new system in march. Will see.

Forum Sage
    That's fair enough, I used to feel the same about overclocking but once you learn about it I think a lot of the initial fears go away. That said I totally understand why people do not want to.

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i would never overclock. you're just burning everything out much quicker.

Forum Sage
    That is such a fallacy, if you have proper cooling it's fine. I ran an i7920 at double speeds for years. The only people who break things are those who think overclocking is just adding voltage, I'm running an extra 800mhz with an extra 0.25v and my CPU never goes above 60. Again, I appreciate it's not for everyone but I feel some people lose out due to scaremongering.

Extreme Poster
    it's pointless imo. more heat, extra costs to cool it down, hardware lifespan shortened, instability.

Forum Sage
    Fair enough but a CPU has a recommended operating temperature of which mine is well below so no heat issues, I always buy a decent cooler regardless, it's only unstable if you do not know what you're doing, any PC you buy that comes pre overclocked is usually tested 24h+ Prime95 stable, and I have never had a component die on me ever but that said I usually upgrade every 2-3 years and I do not run my PC's 24/7 doing anything like folding etc. The performance I get in games is well worth the negatives of which I do not have one. I've had more consoles die on me than overclocked PC parts (currently 0).
    I appreciate the expense comment, but then I pay a premium for a superior gaming experience, that;'s the trade off.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it's pointless imo. more heat, extra costs to cool it down, hardware lifespan shortened, instability.
    Have had my old school i7 920 since 09. Still running like a champ.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I believe overclocking can be very effective if combined with additional cooling parts. However I prefer to stay with base clocked parts due to them being more reliable.

Extreme Poster
    I can understand your point of view but it's definitely a different approach...I sort of feel that you could just get better hardware if you're going to do that. You're paying more or less in the long run anyway. unless you're trying to overclock the latest tech or the highest one possible before that one ridiculously priced one.

Forum Sage
    Sometimes there is nothing better, let me give you an example. I have my GPU OC'd to perform as well as a stock GTX Titan (current stock most powerful single GPU card), the price difference between the two cards based on UK price from the site I got it from is (in dollars for your benefit) $634. That is a huge amount of money and this is what is the main attraction for OC'ing. You can achieve much higher in some cases performance with very little negatives. Again, I emphasize it's not for everyone and a lot of the time it's done more for people who just like fiddling, but as I'm running 1440p now I felt the need to squeeze all the last juice out of my components. That is also a reason I like having a console, can play without worrying about performance (unless it's a Bethesda game).

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Anyone who overclocks will most likely get the upgrade itch long before the parts can even fail.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Forum Sage

Sometimes there is nothing better, let me give you an example. I have my GPU OC'd to perform as well as a stock GTX Titan (current stock most powerful single GPU card), the price difference between the two cards based on UK price from the site I got it from is (in dollars for your benefit) $634. That is a huge amount of money and this is what is the main attraction for OC'ing. You can achieve much higher in some cases performance with very little negatives. Again, I emphasize it's not for everyone and a lot of the time it's done more for people who just like fiddling, but as I'm running 1440p now I felt the need to squeeze all the last juice out of my components. That is also a reason I like having a console, can play without worrying about performance (unless it's a Bethesda game).
    You got a 780 right? Which one have you got? I've got the EVGA Superclocked ACX one but I haven't overclocked it yet (it comes factory OC'd and it's roughly the same or faster than the Titan for most games, even at 1440p) as i'm waiting to get my 2nd and waterblocks for it as i'm cooling them underwater.

What increase did you get from your GPU OC?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    You got a 780 right? Which one have you got? I've got the EVGA Superclocked ACX one but I haven't overclocked it yet (it comes factory OC'd and it's roughly the same or faster than the Titan for most games, even at 1440p) as i'm waiting to get my 2nd and waterblocks for it as i'm cooling them underwater.

What increase did you get from your GPU OC?
    I got the MSI Gaming ED (default: 902/1502, 954 boost). I have a stable clock on air of 1116/1570, 1168 boost). All on air and temps do not exceed 70 To be honest, on stock it's pretty much fine, I only use that profile for my heavily modded Skyrim and even then I'm not sure it's needed! Yours is faster out the box than mine.

Forum Sage

Ah nice man! To be honest, i think all of the 780s are awesome cards! I doubt mine is all that much faster

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    As long as it's properly cooled it literally makes no difference other than an increase in performance. Intel's chips in particular are fantastic for overclocking. There's really no concern over it in this day and age.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Ah nice man! To be honest, i think all of the 780s are awesome cards! I doubt mine is all that much faster
    Oh yeah it will be a few FPS difference but every little helps Great cards anyway.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I say if you can get the extra power out of what you paid or buy a card cheaper than the high end ones and match it with a little OCing and know what your doing and have a good cooling system bloody go for it, I currently have turbo boost on mine but will be OCing my CPU soon.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    As long as it's properly cooled it literally makes no difference other than an increase in performance. Intel's chips in particular are fantastic for overclocking. There's really no concern over it in this day and age.
    you may be right. I haven't really researched into that in years. maybe things are better now considering how far along we've gotten recently.

Thread Information