Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    I hold the ds3 in my hands asymetric, left low, right high. Sometimes I'll put my right elbow on the table next to my recliner, arm perpendicular, left hand against my forehead. it's comfortable and emblematic of how I hold the controller. I don't like my hands being in the same position, particularity with the left and right hand going up and over to the top. My hands are average or above average, but i naturally like the ds scheme. Maybe the left stick and face buttons being on the bottom would feel better for me, but I don't think so. It feels better with the controller at a 10 or 15 degree tilt towards 1 o clock, i.e. shifted right.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i can hold either way and it feels fine

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Personally hate the xbox pad. Its just a $#@!in lump...no probs with dualshocks tho. Fits perfectly in my hands and very comfortable...

PSN ID
    none, yet.
    Interesting theory,
    But I am just glad the DS4 looks ass-kickingly good and wont have the same issue as the DS3.

Why most white teen and preteen thinks dualshocks left stick is at wrong position?:

its because most teens and preteens owns a xbox in USA and Europe. their voices is louder than any other group.... they have more of them than old schooler gamers. these kids first console is xbox, they never experience a sony console before the xbox. they got used to the awkward sticks that xbox controller has..... left stick on top of the d pad.

holding a fork and spoon with full bare palm

Most white teens touch the dualshocks sticks using their mid-thumb. the correct way is using the tip of the thumb. touching the sticks with mid-thumb making it feel uncomfortable. jus like using a fork or spoon. most white folks use their full bare palm instead of their fingers.

not to be offending anyone and not racist.

bike with handles way up high making it uncomfortable to reach

xbox left stick is also equivalent to bike with way high handles that its uncomfortable making your arm straight without bend your arm. sticks way above it dont sync with our natural thumb grid. dualshocks stick position sync with our natural thumb grid.

dualshock 2 to dualshock 3 comparison:

i have always wondered why it feels more comfortable holding a dualshock 2 than dualshock 3.... the shape of it is the same so why? after so much time thinking i finally nailed it! i solve the differences. its because the dualshock 2 covers your whole palm..... grippy and tight, leaves no holes, no hollow area..... your palm covers all the gripe while the dualshock 3 your palm does not cover all the area..... is because the dualshock 3 shape is slightly differ from dualshock 2...... dualshock 3 is more lean down slantly foward. the dualshock 2 lean leveled..... leveled surface straightly. that is the differences! that is why the dualshock 2 has more palm gripe feeling. in dualshock 3 you had to hold it while leaving some holes and hollow area.... because if you force it to hold it covering all the controller, it will make your thumbs go past the button layout because the controller itself is slant down making your thumb more past the buttons.

xbox controller has superb shape and gripe plus good size but why it suck?

Fat people riding a mini bike

yes the controller is big and gripy, feels good when hold but the button layout is awkward. the left sticks on top of the dpad does not sync with our natural thumb grid....... when you rotate the sticks around you feel cramp like there is so tiny rotation zone within the sticks.... its like fat people riding on mini bike and have hard time steering because they too big for the bike. the loop-down desig on top of the sticks also makes it feel even awkward-er. loop-down design does not sync when rotating. rotation is best when it is loop-up or neutral-loop..... but when it is loop-down and roate.... that is when it is out of sync with our natural thumb grid. it feels awkward.

sticks locate below dpad is best. dualshocks is best.

sony knows scientific of human hands..... how human hands mechantic works..... its like sony takes that to account when designing the dualshocks. they knows best. Wii U copied xbox left stick being above dpad..... alot of kids like xbox sticks location. nintendo seems to think of money before thinking of scientific human hand works. seems that sony priorty is quality before money and popularity. they dont give a $#@! how these new trend of gamers likes stick above dpad.... they care for comfortableness before anything else. they care for how human hands sync with a controller. dualshock 4 kept everything as is except trim slight adjustment.... like longer handle for more comfortableness. they know their current button layout and stick position is top notch already...... they know that the sticks below the dpad position is comfortable place for our thumb grid and it sync well with our thumb when rotating around.

admitting dualshock 3 meterial feels low quality like a cheap plastic. the R2 and L2 button is made with jus a cheap small springs metal. it feels like its gonna break easily. xbox controllers feels more quality of the meterial.

but whats high quality meterial when the layout is crap? xbox controllers is crap. uncomfortable position of left sticks especially when rotate around feel crampy and uncomfortable. dualshock 4 seems to have higher meterial quality than dualshock 3.

fighting game

dualshock great for fighting game and i good at dualshock than arcade stick when playing fighters. dpad superb. xbox dpad you cant pull a move with it. and playing with analog sticks is awkward. fighter is meant to be played on dpad or arcade sticks and not analog sticks. analog sticks is for robot games like armored core and first person shooter where you use both analog sticks to move around and aim and jus anything for character movement and not for commands like street fighter or even tekken.

dualshocks is best.
    Last edited by QwoshOfTheOz; 11-03-2013 at 12:46.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Never seen how some people can say the Xbox pad and its offset analogues feels more 'natural', I don't know about you guys but my thumbs are in the same place on both hands and are around about the same length! The only reason it feels more natural is if you have become accustomed to using it and then its simply down to muscle memory, not ergonomics..

yo whats up. just out of randomness quote.

raise your five finger, palm... two of them up in front of you. and look where your thumb is....

is it near the index finger? or below the 4 fingers?

it is below the 4 fingers. dualshocks sticks is below the 4 finger. which is correct position..... sticks possition is right at our natural thumb position.

i dont get why people fail to see and fail to notice the uncomfortableness of the xbox sticks.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Never seen how some people can say the Xbox pad and its offset analogues feels more 'natural', I don't know about you guys but my thumbs are in the same place on both hands and are around about the same length! The only reason it feels more natural is if you have become accustomed to using it and then its simply down to muscle memory, not ergonomics..
    Again, that kind of symmetry isn't important. Both thumbs act separately. That would make 3rd person action games on the DS very uncomfortable, with face buttons and R thumbstick being the priority. It isn't only the placement as well, it's the whole grip.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Again, that kind of symmetry isn't important. Both thumbs act separately. That would make 3rd person action games on the DS very uncomfortable, with face buttons and R thumbstick being the priority. It isn't only the placement as well, it's the whole grip.
    gripe dont make controller. layout make controller.

playing needs good layout.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by QwoshOfTheOz View Post
    gripe dont make controller. layout make controller.

playing needs good layout.
    It's both, the thumbs go naturally where they need to, and the whole hand is covered so it feels less cramped. I've had more experience with the DS, and I was skeptical of the 360 controller at first. Now I prefer it, my fingers relax on it more and I much prefer the layout. The left stick is for movement - and it's much more comfortable holding the stick in one direction with that placement for the 360 design. The dpad was low-quality, but I don't play fighting games. The DS4 however seems to be addressing a lot of the issues - concave sticks, better triggers, more grip, bigger separation between the sticks.
    Last edited by Naxi; 11-03-2013 at 13:06.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    I prefer to grip the controller

I've never touched a 360 controller so I can't compare but there are valid criticisms of the dualshocks ever since they added the analogue sticks.
    1:The sticks move too far. I've felt this ever since I first used one back in the ps1 days.
    2:They're too loose, granted they've become incrementally better but they're still inferior to the stick on the N64, the wii nunchuck, the oxbox (not the initial giant design) and indeed the sony nav controllers.
    3: I've never had the 'thumbs touching' complaint but due to the convex top I've certainly constantly experienced thumb slippage.
    4: 'Up' should not be 'move left thumb to the left/right' That was a nightmare getting used to playing for instance the fight night games.

Anyway I agree with posts above in so far as you don't grip a dualshock, you let it sit in your hands. Looking forward to trying DS4.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Forum Sage
    Controller comfort comes down to preference -- and I guess how big/small your hands are. I've never had any issues with the Dualshock or even the Xbox 360 controller (minus the odd hump which is now gone.)

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Uncharted 2 & 3

Gta 3, San Andreas, 4 & 5

Red Dead Redemption

The Last of Us

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6

MGS 2,3,4

Tomb Raider

Etc, etc..

All played on DS 2 & 3 over the years, can't ever say I found playing any of them uncomfortable and I played the $#@! out of most of them!

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Uncharted 2 & 3

Gta 3, San Andreas, 4 & 5

Red Dead Redemption

The Last of Us

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6

MGS 2,3,4

Tomb Raider

Etc, etc..

All played on DS 2 & 3 over the years, can't ever say I found playing any of them uncomfortable and I played the $#@! out of most of them!
    I didn't say it actually was, but by your logic it shouldn't be natural. I should clarify that I meant hack n slash games like God of War, DMC etc.

Forum Sage
    I didn't say it actually was, but by your logic it shouldn't be natural. I should clarify that I meant hack n slash games like God of War, DMC etc.
    ...by his logic? what do you mean?

---

Not every controller will suit everyone. I don't understand why people need to find a reason to say they prefer one over the other. (This isn't towards you Naxi.)

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    ...by his logic? what do you mean?

---

Not every controller will suit everyone. I don't understand why people need to find a reason to say they prefer one over the other. (This isn't towards you Naxi.)
    He was talking about the offset analog placement not being natural earlier. Playing those games would require thumbs placement to be asymmetrical.

I understood it wasn't towards me. However, I do think the DS4 will suit a lot more people than previous DS's, not based on my impressions though.

I can understand xbox kids complaining about the dualshock cant have full palm grip but I cannot understand why they say left sticks being below the dpad is incorrect.

Their xbox sticks being above the dpad is what incorrect. It is so uncomfortable with the tiny rotation zone they got on the stick and even if they do have wide rotation zone, itll still be uncomfortable and crampy because of how the position is at..... it does not sync with our human natural thumb grid. Stick above the dpad does not sync with our natural thumb grid!!!!! especially when rotating around. Whenever I play on it I just want to slam it down the ground! oh and what is so bad is their top stick has a loop down which even make it dont sync when our thumb rotate it around. loop down is only good for pressing and not rotating. loop up like the duashock sync with our thumb when rotate. Good that Dualshock 4 does not have loop down, it just has an extra border around it.

Full palm grip dont impress me if poor layout. Dualshock 4 seems to enable full palm grip while keeping their already superb layout.

I dont know why kids love the xbox so much even in reality world, all the kids i know have xbox.

Dualshock 2 better than Dualshock 3 though because dualshock 2 has full palm grip. dualshock 4 is gonna be perfect! you can tell by its looks espoecially the long handle seems to be comfortable, it reminds me of the boomerang controller but still in dualshock shape most of all.

Some people touch the dualshock sticks with their mid thumb and they complain bout their thumb touch each other ahahahahaha. Doofus! Gamers touch the sticks with the tip of their thumb! not their mid thumb! no wonder their thumbs touch each other!

Touching the sticks with their mid thumb is like white folks holding spoons and forks with full bare palm ahahahahha.
    Last edited by QwoshOfTheOz; 11-09-2013 at 20:43.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by QwoshOfTheOz View Post
    I can understand xbox kids complaining about the dualshock cant have full palm grip but I cannot understand why they say left sticks being below the dpad is incorrect.

Their xbox sticks being above the dpad is what incorrect. It is so uncomfortable with the tiny rotation zone they got on the stick and even if they do have wide rotation zone, itll still be uncomfortable and crampy because of how the position is at..... it does not sync with our human natural thumb grid. Stick above the dpad does not sync with our natural thumb grid!!!!! especially when rotating around. Whenever I play on it I just want to slam it down the ground! oh and what is so bad is their top stick has a loop down which even make it dont sync when our thumb rotate it around. loop down is only good for pressing and not rotating. loop up like the duashock sync with our thumb when rotate. Good that Dualshock 4 does not have loop down, it just has an extra border around it.

Full palm grip dont impress me if poor layout. Dualshock 4 seems to enable full palm grip while keeping their already superb layout.

I dont know why kids love the xbox so much even in reality world, all the kids i know have xbox.

Dualshock 2 better than Dualshock 3 though because dualshock 2 has full palm grip. dualshock 4 is gonna be perfect! you can tell by its looks espoecially the long handle seems to be comfortable, it reminds me of the boomerang controller but still in dualshock shape most of all.

Some people touch the dualshock sticks with their mid thumb and they complain bout their thumb touch each other ahahahahaha. Doofus! Gamers touch the sticks with the tip of their thumb! not their mid thumb! no wonder their thumbs touch each other!

Touching the sticks with their mid thumb is like white folks holding spoons and forks with full bare palm ahahahahha.
    I don't know what you're on about. It's not only about the placement. The relaxation point for the 360 is between the face buttons/dpad and sticks, thus you'd have to extend your thumb less to either side. For the DS3, it's on the face buttons with a full grip. You'll have to lower your grip to relax on the sticks, thus losing support. It even shows on OP's pictures. Otherwise you'd overextend the thumbs. This has nothing to do with offset analog placement though, the DS4 just has to change its shape so there'd be less thumb movement between sticks and buttons.

Super Elite
    There designed for Japenese people.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Veteran
    The best way to hold a controller is to pick it up and hold it how it naturally rests in your hand. If you have to sit their think about how to hold it there's a problem..

You sound like Steve Jobs
    "You're holding it wrong"

The main problem lies in the fact that the controllers are one size while our hand sizes vary.
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-11-2013 at 02:12.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    The best way to hold a controller is to pick it up and hold it how it naturally rests in your hand. If you have to sit their think about how to hold it there's a problem.
    Pretty much. If you have a problem figuring out how to hold a game controller... there's clearly a much larger issue that needs to be addressed first.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

23. Likes Malt likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Would be nice if they started developing controllers for different styles of grip, like some already said everyone hands are different and and not everyone feels comfy holding it a certain way.

All the top mice manufacturers cater to different grip styles so why cant games console manufacturers do the same for their controllers?

Some Mice are designed to be used a certain way; claw, fingertip or palm. Usually if you try to palm a claw/fingertip style mouse your hand will smother the mouse and fingers will end up being over the buttons because they are smaller than palm style mice.

Last edited by keefy; 11-11-2013 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Would be nice if they started developing controllers for different styles of grip, like some already said everyone hands are different and and not everyone feels comfy holding it a certain way.

All the top mice manufacturers cater to different grip styles so why cant games console manufacturers do the same for their controllers?

Some Mice are designed to be used a certain way; claw, fingertip or palm. Usually if you try to palm a claw/fingertip style mouse your hand will smother the mouse and fingers will end up being over the buttons because they are smaller than palm style mice.

wow nice picture! exactly!

my labtec mouse im using right now is a claw/tip style. if i try to palm it, it will feel uncmfotable and unatural feel. my HP mouse from 1999 is a palm style and i have always like it but I just cant find a palm style mouse in the store anymore.

this gripping style exist in console controllers as well and not just mouse. the Dualshock 3 is clearly a tip/claw style and if you force to palm it, it will feel uncomfortable. Most xbox kids force palm it and that is why they $#@! bout how ps3 controller sucks.

You cant just force something that it is not what it is meant to be used like or else there will be awkward feeling and to people saying "just hold it however your perference" well thats a legit statement but not for this. The dualshock 3 is a tip/claw style controller and it is legit claim.

Yes the palm style grip is nice and I like it just like my 1999 palm style grip mouse, however button layout is the most priorty feature for me. I can let my grip style perference slide if the button layout is crap and surely the xbox controller button layout is crap thats why I prefer dualshock 3 over xbox controller.

enough for dualshock 3 vs xbox's controller. its time for dualshock 2 vs dualshock 3

Dualshock 2:
    - full palm grip style
    - top dog button layout

Dualshock 3:
    - claw/tip grip style
    - top dog button layout

the shape of dualshock 2 and dualshock 3 is the same so how is it differ in grip style? it puzzled me too but i finally nailed it! i found the answer! the dualshock 3 is a claw/tip style is because the body of the controller lean down forcing it to be a claw/tip style grip. i am guessing that the short bottom edge of the R2, L2 has something to do with the controller shifting to claw/tip style grip.

the dualshock 2 body lean leveled making it a palm style grip. i have both controller right now and let it sit side by side on a surface and can see clearly how each controller leans and sit.

ive been a sony console gamer since ps1. i also game since the first nintendo. im an old school gamer so what i said is surely believable. im not a bias fanboy. my judgement is not out of biasm due to fanboyism and im not talking about the normal meaning of fan boy but the slang fanboy.

whenever i play the xbox controller i just want slam it on the ground. i cant stand the cramp feel of left stick. the position of the stick does not sync with our thumb grid especially when rotating around.

button layout over grip style! but thankfully dualshock 4 seems to be a palm style grip with still best layout. sony knows about the scienc of human grid. our thumb grid is essensial for a study to build a good gaming controller and sony nailed it! sony knows hows our human thumb grid works! sticks on bottom sync with our thumb grid perfectly!

why button layout over grip style?

when actual playing takes alot of layout and not grip style. layout is priorty for actual playing. pretend your 2 mouse click is near your pinky position and you would toss the the mouse away even if the the mouse is so comfortable because of the full palm style grip.

layout comes first. grip style comes second.

sorry for sloppy writing.

most people dont like the R2 L2 button. well for me, i like it more than in dualshock 2. it is more longer and deeper when press.... it feels just like a trigger! use it for shooting in fps is awesome! like in killzone 3 and far cry 3. i hate it when games dont let us use R2 as a shoot button.

only problem about R2 L2 and the whole dualshock 3 controller is it felt like a cheap plastic! cheap material. the R2 L2 has only a tiny metal spring that if you were like banging pressing it real hard, banging it rapidly it would break. the texture of the R2 L2 just feels cheap as well. the whole dualshock 3 texture feels cheap. yes i admit even if i like the dualshock 3 over xbox controller. but materials dont make game. button layout make game.

even if the dualshock 3 is made out of cardboard box i would still prefer it over any xbox controllers.

Wii U and most third party is just goes for money and popularity by copying the left stick position from the xbox controllers. sony goes for the science of human thumb grid works first as priority. much props for sony.

dualshock 4 is the supereme controller in the world!

and just to note. in every controller, you touch the thumb stick with the tip of your thumb. if you touch it with your mid thumb then i must say...... i dont think you are a gamer.

Master Guru
    Yeah, i never understood the hate for the DS3. It's a great controller. I don't grip either the DS3 or the 360 controller very tight. So i guess going by those pics i've always held my controllers right. I've always found that the more grip you have on your controller the faster your hands become uncomfortable. No matter which controller you're using.

Thread Information