Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style

PS4 and Headsets....

So I read somewhere that PS3 wireless headsets are reported to work with the PS4.

Does this mean wireless headsets like the Turtle Beach headsets will work or the Sony brand. I'm stuck I guess.

The sound bar I was going to use for the PS4 doesn't work. I can either use the speakers in my HDTV, which really suck or get an HDMI > A/V cable converter....which I don't know will work or not.

Does anyone know if there will be a nice headset at launch? Like the Turtle Beach ones?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    So I read somewhere that PS3 wireless headsets are reported to work with the PS4.

Does this mean wireless headsets like the Turtle Beach headsets will work or the Sony brand. I'm stuck I guess.

The sound bar I was going to use for the PS4 doesn't work. I can either use the speakers in my HDTV, which really suck or get an HDMI > A/V cable converter....which I don't know will work or not.

Does anyone know if there will be a nice headset at launch? Like the Turtle Beach ones?
    If it got the Audio via a USB adapter on PS3 then it will work w/ PS4. It takes the USB Audio and converts it to whatever wireless (typically BT) standard and transmits it to the headset. The import thing being the USB Audio is the same between PS3 and PS4.

Sony hasn't announced a nice launch headset to date. That said, I'd hope that the EXT port on the back of the DS4 is meant exactly for this purpose (No dongle needed but need to plug into controller.) Unfortunately Sony hasn't said anything regarding this port.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    If it got the Audio via a USB adapter on PS3 then it will work w/ PS4. It takes the USB Audio and converts it to whatever wireless (typically BT) standard and transmits it to the headset. The import thing being the USB Audio is the same between PS3 and PS4.

Sony hasn't announced a nice launch headset to date. That said, I'd hope that the EXT port on the back of the DS4 is meant exactly for this purpose (No dongle needed but need to plug into controller.) Unfortunately Sony hasn't said anything regarding this port.
    Pretty sure the EXT port on the back of the PS4 is for the PS4 Eye camera.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Sony will be using the Pulse Elite headset again as their flagship headset, won't they?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Pretty sure the EXT port on the back of the PS4 is for the PS4 Eye camera.
    That's the AUX port on the back of the PS4 that's for the PS4 Eye Camera. I'm referring to the EXT port on the back of the DS4 to the left of the 3.5mm headset jack.

Last edited by TAZ427; 09-10-2013 at 17:16.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    Sony will be using the Pulse Elite headset again as their flagship headset, won't they?
    It will be supported. It may no longer be their flagship.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    That's the AUX port on the back of the PS4 that's for the PS4 Eye Camera. I'm referring to the EXT port on the back of the DS4 to the left of the 3.5mm headset jack.

Ahhh, ok, my mistake! From what I have seen so far, that port will be used to charge the controller in the official PS4 charge base. (you can see it docked on the controller to the right of the PS4)

Here is another better photo of it:

Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 09-10-2013 at 17:36.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Ahhh, ok, my mistake! From what I have seen so far, that port will be used to charge the controller in the official PS4 charge base. (you can see it docked on the controller to the right of the PS4)

Here is another better photo of it:

I seriously doubt that that's its primary purpose, though it likely could be used as a secondary purpose. Looking at multiple sets of photos it has 8 pins (four bottom four top), this is overkill for charging. That tells me there's more to it than a simple charging port.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I seriously doubt that that's its primary purpose, though it likely could be used as a secondary purpose. Looking at multiple sets of photos it has 8 pins (four bottom four top), this is overkill for charging. That tells me there's more to it than a simple charging port.
    I didn't say that was its only purpose, just so far...but that is the only thing that I know of to this date that will use that port. I agree being that it has 8 pins on that port that there will be many other fun things to attach to it at a later day! Hopefully we will see full true surround headsets or maybe if/when the rumored PS4 VR headset comes out it will plug into this port for its audio and other tracking information, who knows!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 09-10-2013 at 18:09.

PSN ID
    Loopoiu
    But tbh the headphones that come with the ps4 look quite cheap and crappy if you ask me

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzzman View Post
    But tbh the headphones that come with the ps4 look quite cheap and crappy if you ask me
    They are extremely cheap looking, but they are free and are better than nothing at all! At least with the crappy set that comes with the system, everyone has a reason to get on and be more social! I will probably be using my headset that came with my Galaxy S4 until I find a good headset that I like!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I agree they look a bit cheap, but I'm not too worried about that. I've got multiple 3.5mm headsets that are probably better. Like MonkeyClaw mentioned, I'll also probably use one of my old Droid phone headsets. I've got multiple laying around my favorites being my Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 headsets.

13. Likes MjW likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    So I can buy the Pulse Elite headset right now and it will work with the PS4?

Also....I looked up the Pulse and there seems to be no mic on it. Is there a mic that comes with the PS4 that hooks into the controller or something?

That would be great actually.
    Last edited by Locomotive; 09-10-2013 at 21:29.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The Pulse Elite has a built in mic. There's just no boom to extend the mic around to the front of your mouth. It's actually supposed to be a very good quality mic. Note that the location is about the same as most high quality of BT headsets. You don't need the boom if you have a good mic.

Scott Rhode from Sony has already stated that the Pulse Elite would work with PS4 on the playstation website.

This will be a very good headset for the PS4, but it will take up a USB slot, which is why I want one that will integrate into the DS4 controller.

The only reason I want one is for playing games late at night when the family is asleep, otherwise I'll use my HT Speakers and the 3.5mm jack when needing chat.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    The Pulse Elite is very good mic is a good quality and blocks out background noise too. Not to mention the many settings that can be adjusted to suit each individual. I got mine for 70 pounds brand new on offer a whole ago. Worth it!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I just went ahead and bought the $100 pulse headset.

$150 is just too much for me to be comfortable with spending on a headset. This are quite comfy, sound good but haven't done anything with the mic.

Thread Information