Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

KZ:SF - Running above 30 Frames (aiming for 60FPS) in Single Player

Arguably the biggest PlayStation 4 launch title this November is Killzone: Shadow Fall, coming to us from the fine folks over at Guerrilla Games.

One of the people behind the game is Steven ter Heide, Game Director, who went on the PlayStation Blogcast and explained how they’re using the PlayStation 4 to make Shadow Fall feel like a new game, while also keeping the Killzone feel:

I think the most immediate thing people notice is the leap in visual fidelity. We have more horsepower with PlayStation 4 and that means you can do bigger, bolder things. It’s running at 1080p, it’s running far above 30 frames – we’re aiming at 60 – so that’s a very good thing. That’s the first thing people notice just the visuals, the way it feels.

But I think, what’s really exciting to me, is the new options that we have available in terms of creating Warzones and giving more freedom to the players and saying, ‘How do you want the game to play out?’ If you look at the whole package, where people start streaming their games, where they start sharing videos and all sorts of stuff, we really want to see unique gameplay and what people come up with.

Following this, ter Heide discussed how the weapons in multiplayer will all be unlocked at the get go, with 1500 challenges (internal estimates show unlocking everything taking a month) that will unlock other items upon completion shipping with the game. That won’t be the end of the challenges though, as Steven said that they will be adding more through expansions, new DLC, and new (free) maps after launch.

To finish up the talk of multiplayer, ter Heide mentioned the bots of Shadow Fall:

We’ve always had bots in our previous games but we wanted to really have that bot experience transfer into the custom games as well. You can have those bots either in online matches, and they’ll replace some of your human friends or you can play an offline match against bots. And they know how to play with the abilities, they know how to play all the different mission modes, they can deal with whatever customization you throw at them, and best of all, they really mimic human player behavior. So if you set them to hard, that’s a pretty good challenge.

Bots have always been a good addition, but this time around they’re more special because you get to set up your match and practice the things you want to practice and get good at.

As of now, Guerrilla Games are in the final stages of fine-tuning and balancing Killzone: Shadow Fall.
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...the-beginning/

EDIT: References are to single player as multi-player has already accomplished 60FPS. As has been previously announced and witnessed in various demos since Gamescom.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 09-11-2013 at 03:40.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Day 1 for me.

Master Guru
    If they can get Killzone: Shadowfall running at 60fps in single player that will be amazing to see and play.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol that optimization! Some people will eat there hearts out if this happens. I also suspect DriveClub is going through the same thing

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    60fps or bust! Please make 60fps a priority in this game, and I'll buy a PS4 just for that! More frames per seconds means more gorgeous visual fidelity. 60fps is the only choice!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    60fps or bust! Please make 60fps a priority in this game, and I'll buy a PS4 just for that!
    Really? ...

Some people, man.

Anyway, awesome news. More fps = happier situation for everyone.

PSN ID
    J_Chavez09
    Reserving tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Chavez09 View Post
    Reserving tomorrow. Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
    Already reserved.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    more impressive every time I hear about this game

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    When is the absolute final time they have until they have this nailed down? Oct? End of this month?
    Be Together - Not the same.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    When is the absolute final time they have until they have this nailed down? Oct? End of this month?
    Day 1 performance update?

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Its got 1080p already so 60 fps will be a plus. Not really a big deal to me. Never really been able to notice the difference in 30 vs 60 fps unless the fps drops.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    if you run 30FPS V-synced, that would imply you're able to produce more frames in a second then is allowed yeah? Was Killzone SF confirmed V-synced given KZ2 & 3 were?

if so, they could only be searching for 10-20FPS extra given the situation.....just musings, just musings, don't take this as fact or anything
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    if you run 30FPS V-synced, that would imply you're able to produce more frames in a second then is allowed yeah? Was Killzone SF confirmed V-synced given KZ2 & 3 were?

if so, they could only be searching for 10-20FPS extra given the situation.....just musings, just musings, don't take this as fact or anything
    No. V-sync doesn't have any such meaning to that. You can have a game run at 20fps and be V-synced for 30fps.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    No. V-sync doesn't have any such meaning to that. You can have a game run at 20fps and be V-synced for 30fps.
    What? No. That doesn't even make sense. Not on consoles. Fijiandoce basically has it right, if you are running at a solid 30fps (locked) with v-sync engaged, then it is safe to assume there is headroom to up the frame rate if so desired. Hence if they're running at a rock solid locked 30fps, it's safe to assume unlocked it would be in the high 40's or 50's, but with drops. They are trying to achieve a solid 60 refresh.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    What? No. That doesn't even make sense. Not on consoles. Fijiandoce basically has it right, if you are running at a solid 30fps (locked) with v-sync engaged, then it is safe to assume there is headroom to up the frame rate if so desired. Hence if they're running at a rock solid locked 30fps, it's safe to assume unlocked it would be in the high 40's or 50's, but with drops. They are trying to achieve a solid 60 refresh.
    That is not true at all.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    tell me, where did you get 20 from? i specifically stated 30, ergo 30 is what im theoretically running at.

And whilst i don't have the understanding of mynd, i do know that V-sync holds frames in buffers that refresh after the screen refreshes. again, you can only hold those frames if they are finished...hence @30fps one could conclude there is a few more FPS if V-sync is removed.

i'd really like to know where you got 20 from?

That is not true at all.
    please elaborate?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    tell me, where did you get 20 from? i specifically stated 30, ergo 30 is what im theoretically running at.

And whilst i don't have the understanding of mynd, i do know that V-sync holds frames in buffers that refresh after the screen refreshes. again, you can only hold those frames if they are finished...hence @30fps one could conclude there is a few more FPS if V-sync is removed.

please elaborate?

If the system is unable to keep constant 30FPS due to a heavy explosion and lots of on screen action causing the frame to rate dip below 30FPS to lets say 27FPS then the vsync will kick in at 20FPS to reduce the tearing.

This is why Vsync is loathed by some (me included) it can reduce the frame rate even more than is necessary and one reason I never use it on my PC.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-12-2013 at 01:38.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    If the system is unable to keep constant 30FPS due to a heavy explosion and the frame rate dips below 30FPS to 27FPS then the sync will kick in at 20FPS to reduce the tearing.

This is why Vsync is loathed by some (me included) it can reduce the frame rate even more than is necessary and one reason I never use it on my PC.
    yeah, i understand that. i force triple buffering for a few games. which i why i specifically mentioned running at 30; like the two killzone games did (Killzone 2 at least, don't have a clue what Killzone 3 runs at )
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli

please elaborate?
    Naturally, the fps your V-sync is set to target simply results in dictating the maximum and not the minimum fps by nature. Nothing else.

I think one faceplam simile is enough to convey the point - Itachi
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-12-2013 at 04:23.

Master Sage
    Naturally, the fps your V-sync is set to target simply results in dictating the maximum and not the minimum fps by nature. Nothing else.
    Sorry Foraeli but i've got to side with the others on this.
    Pretty sure V-sync is used to reduce the amount of frames you see in order to prevent screen tearing in games (screen tearing being when two or more frames collide on the one screen) so to prevent that from happening the frames must be slowed down. (or brought in sync)
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-12-2013 at 04:23.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Naturally, the fps your V-sync is set to target simply results in dictating the maximum and not the minimum fps by nature. Nothing else. :facepalm.
    its like you aren't even paying attention to what is being discussed and simply wish to show everyone how much you know...despite myself stating pretty much the same thing.

you'll notice i specifically noted 'finished frames' above. if the frame is not finished you end up with stalls and a lower framerate as the engine cannot draw frames quick enough to meet the refresh rate. hence why i (again) specifically noted running @30fps in my original post.

so let me take you up on a point you yourself just raised. you're quoted as pointing out "maximum", prey tell what happens when the engine is capable of putting out more frames?

i'll answer that one, the frames are drawn at the refresh rate locked to 30hz; so one buffer draws the frame, while the other is delivering its finished frame (the frames are synced).

you answer this one, what happens in that same scenario when v-sync is disabled?
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 09-12-2013 at 02:31.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    If they get this running at 60fps im day one!
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I have no doubt when it comes to GG for optimization.

Elite Sage

Fingers crossed they can achieve it.

I might be alone though and think if they can get 60fps out of singple player and only 30 out of multiplayer then i'd rather the whole game be 30FPS.

Thread Information