Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Digital vs. Retail, compare the benefits of both

So I'm still on the fence about this, as I know others are. Figured I'd spark a thread on it, feel free to provide additional feedback and I'll update my lists. I'll start it off...

Benefits of Digital:
    -no waiting in lines or for delivery of new game release
    -better loading times
    -no disk swapping between games
    -can schedule downloads from mobile device
    -no risk of being unable to find game due to extreme popularity or even extreme rarity
    -no need to have storage space devoted to physical objects
    -less risk of burning out the optical drive, forcing full system repair
    -rumors of the potential for early release, as there is no need to wait from the time the game goes gold to when it hits manufacturing
    -no need to repurchase games due to disk damage, loss or theft
    -don't have to deal with BS from gamestop employees

Benefits of Retail:
    -ability to resell games for whatever reason
    -can lend games to others
    -if system dies or hdd crashes, no need to reinstall majority of game to play
    -trophy shelf of games
    -discounted retail cost pre-order bonuses (ie. pre-order 3+ games, get all for $10-20 off each)
    -no risk of servers being offline when wanting to buy a new game
    -if you are going to pay full price, might as well have a physical copy
    -no fear of bandwidth cap due to high download traffic, this can cause additional charges on internet bills
    -no risk in having no games if cloud service is ever abandoned or shut off
    -no account restriction on your games
    -network congestion during day1 release of game not a factor
    Last edited by shepard; 09-19-2013 at 21:18.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Retail
    - I like to have a physical copy of the game. Whilst not essential for me, it's nice. And your purchase feels more secure.

Digital
    - In an increasingly on-demand world, you can generally get games faster via a network (assuming you have good broadband) and there's obviously less hassle involved switching between games.

For digital to be a success on PS4, they have to get the price right, simple as that. It is in their best interests to get people buying digital and so they should NOT be selling games for a huge markup compared to retail, it's stupid.

I am not the biggest fan of steam but one thing they did that was great was opening up steamworks and letting anyone sell a steam key for a game. If Sony do this so hundreds of online retailers can sell PSN game keys, digital will pick up extremely fast.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    The "trophy shelf of games" one is a pro and a con for me.
    I live in downtown San Francisco, and my place is really small. So I often end up selling games I am done with just because they are taking up space and gathering dust. Sometimes I regret it later. So a library of games that don't take up any space is a pro for me.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Another benefit for retail, that is good for pretty much everyone outside US, is no fear of going over your bandwidth cap. (Also dont forget no waiting an hour+ to download said game, depending on size)

Dont know what I downloaded last month, but I was charged a $56 "overage" fee - which amounts to going roughly 37Gb over my limit.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Another + for Digital, no need to worry about having to re-buy games due to scratches/damage in general, losing them, selling them and wanting it back etc.

You can just download games you've already bought if you decide to delete it or it goes corrupt.

PSU Live Streamer
    lists are growing, keep up the feedback....also be sure to check back from time to time to see what has been added

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Digital benefits

No knob head clerks judging your purchases.
    Had a few over the years look at my game and then comment how they prefer the exact opposite game, if I buy Splinter cell they prefer Hitman. IF I buy FIFA they prefer Pro Evo, If I buy COD they prefer HALO, If I buy GTA they prefer saints row,
    Buying video games is the only time I ever experienced this type of behaviour, why do these clerks think its allowed and OK to do such a thing?
    Please abide by the signature file size limit. Thanks. ~ Staff

DIGITAL= Loss of jobs due to Digital Download. RETAIL= He/She still be working. Physical copy, able to use in any PS3/PS4 with any different account.

9. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    for a PC I will go digital because

- the games are cheaper / better deals Vs console digital sales

- I can still burn those files on a disc and still have a hard copy. With consoles you can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by damnwrx View Post
    DIGITAL= Loss of jobs due to Digital Download. RETAIL= He/She still be working. Physical copy, able to use in any PS3/PS4 with any different account.
    I agree with this. nicely put.

PSU Live Streamer
    Jobs are jobs. Not sure that argument can be swayed to one side or the other. Jobs lost in retail are jobs gained in the running/maintaining the facilities that house the server farm for digital. In addition to the jobs that were made to create the servers and the software they run on.

About the only difference is one has more high school kids and the other university degrees.

Super Elite
    I'll get both depending on what I have the need for. I still will collect the games I want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Jobs are jobs. Not sure that argument can be swayed to one side or the other. Jobs lost in retail are jobs gained in the running/maintaining the facilities that house the server farm for digital. In addition to the jobs that were made to create the servers and the software they run on.

About the only difference is one has more high school kids and the other university degrees.
    they are two different jobs with much different tasks, skills, etc etc.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    they are two different jobs with much different tasks, skills, etc etc.
    The fact still remains that jobs are replaced by jobs. There is no full loss in one at the expense of a full gain to the other. It's a balanced scale. I could just as easily say that by not creating a server farm for cloud services, that jobs aren't being created.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-11-2013 at 19:42.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't really buy digital if it's a retail release.

When the digital release is ready for download, it'd be quicker for me to drive 90 mile round trip to actually get the game, rather than wait for a congested network to give me the game. That's a con for digital. Day one, popular game, network congestion, slow ass speeds regardless of your bandwidth.

16. Likes unicron7 likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I like the security of a physical purchase. 10 years down the road if I want to hook my PS3 back up and put in Infamous, boom, I have it right there. For those that download games: Have you ever considered what happens if the dev/publisher goes out of business or something happens to where you can't download it again if your HDD craps out on you? Yeah, you purchased it, but you're $#@! out of luck if you want to download it again. Also, my retail copy is not restricted to one account and one console. I can take it anywhere.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Soldier 95B
    Now that we have day one digital, I will only be getting digital games going forward. All I have to say...it's about $#@!ing time. Steam had this ages ago. Glad us console owners get the choice now.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Physical copy, all day of the week. That is, for full-sized games; there is a place for downloads but that's for small Indie games and the like in my eyes.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    I like the security of a physical purchase. 10 years down the road if I want to hook my PS3 back up and put in Infamous, boom, I have it right there. For those that download games: Have you ever considered what happens if the dev/publisher goes out of business or something happens to where you can't download it again if your HDD craps out on you? Yeah, you purchased it, but you're $#@! out of luck if you want to download it again. Also, my retail copy is not restricted to one account and one console. I can take it anywhere.

Next week I earn my 10 year badge for steam...

People had all those your concerns 10 years ago and here we are still; but now net speeds are faster than ever and Hard drives are cheap as chips.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-11-2013 at 23:06.
    Please abide by the signature file size limit. Thanks. ~ Staff

Power Member
    Buying a brand new game in New Zealand = $120NZD. Buying a brand new game online from the US or UK = $80NZD

No brainer for me. I have to stick to hard copies of games as we get fked up the ar5e with prices here.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Next week I earn my 10 year badge for steam...

People had all those your concerns 10 years ago and here we are still; but now net speeds are faster than ever and Hard drives are cheap as chips.
    I just went over my 6th year anni back in Jul.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    The fact still remains that jobs are replaced by jobs. There is no full loss in one at the expense of a full gain to the other. It's a balanced scale. I could just as easily say that by not creating a server farm for cloud services, that jobs aren't being created.
    I'm going to add one more thing here. The jobs that were lost were just that, they were lost. Even if added jobs come in, how do you know they are going to surpass the current jobs and at a lower class at that? It's a move that takes out current jobs which people end up losing their jobs. If those same people could work for companies with servers and they were guaranteed a job then you comment would have made much more sense. It's a loss in current jobs and those same people in those so called mom & pop stores and whatever else are out of a job. lol

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Benefits of owning retail

- you own the game
    *Winner is retail!*

Veteran
    I will continue doing the same as I've been doing this gen, will buy physical blu ray disc most of the times but won't hesitate on buying digital when the game is cheaper, there's a nice deal, etc. So imo there's no need to stick to one only, do both.

PSU Live Streamer
    The lists are both oddly even, wasn't really expecting that. Doesn't make it easy to choose what side of the fence I'm going to go to...

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Digital vs. Retail, compare the benefits of both

I've always been retail as I like to sell my games (except the gems) when I'm finished to fund something else and love actually owning the collection as well as the hype in the queues at midnight for a major release.

However, this gen I can see me going digital for 1 reason:

Digital:
    Remote play PS4 games saved to the HDD via PS Vita & PS Vita TV.
    Retail only allows to do this with the physical 1 disc that is in the machine.

With the fortnightly and sometimes monthly assignments away, remote play suites me better if I go digital as I will have access to more games

Thread Information