Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Well, im telling the truth you people believe everything Sony tells you.
    You people believe those specs on x1 from VGLeaks.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Firstly - this is PLAYSTATION universe forum.

Secondly - Sony haven't let me down yet nor have they fed me a slimey pack of lies.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

3. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Lmao grasping for straws can't handle truth. He got his info from MS tech engineers. Its funny how things work on this forum whatever Sony says it is true but when Microsoft explains the tech and specs behind the x1 its all lies.
    The irony of this post is staggering. lol

Elite Guru

ERP on B3D (Mod and former first party Sony dev) said that you have a performance decrease per CU the more you have.

Also from ERP:

FWIW my expectation is that PS4 ought to have a performance advantage, but I wouldn't expect it to reflect the difference in CU counts. CU's are MASSIVELY underutilized on vertex heavy workloads and plenty of the frame will be ROP or bandwidth limited.

There are just too many little things that can significantly impact performance, there were times with early firmwares on PS4 where seemingly innocuous changes would affect performance by as much as 10%.

The eSRAM will certainly provide an advantage under some circumstances, and I'm interested if the ROP difference will end up being a factor, or the lower eSRAM latency will end up nullifying it.

For that matter I could imagine the graphics API having a significant effect, the CPU single threaded performance isn't great on these machines and a poorly conceived implementation, could hurt games across the board. Sony having "lower level access" here isn't necessarily a win.

Hell I could imagine cases where CPU limited games demonstrate an advantage on XB1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Dedicated Member
    And you thought there was a chance of a 2nd GPU inside the X1.....wheres this line of reasoning going?

7. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Major Nelson and his cronies just aren't listening to the right people, never did.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    ERP on B3D (Mod and former first party Sony dev) said that you have a performance decrease per CU the more you have.

Also from ERP:

FWIW my expectation is that PS4 ought to have a performance advantage, but I wouldn't expect it to reflect the difference in CU counts. CU's are MASSIVELY underutilized on vertex heavy workloads and plenty of the frame will be ROP or bandwidth limited.

There are just too many little things that can significantly impact performance, there were times with early firmwares on PS4 where seemingly innocuous changes would affect performance by as much as 10%.

The eSRAM will certainly provide an advantage under some circumstances, and I'm interested if the ROP difference will end up being a factor, or the lower eSRAM latency will end up nullifying it.

For that matter I could imagine the graphics API having a significant effect, the CPU single threaded performance isn't great on these machines and a poorly conceived implementation, could hurt games across the board. Sony having "lower level access" here isn't necessarily a win.

Hell I could imagine cases where CPU limited games demonstrate an advantage on XB1.

You know what, I'm going to pay that as perhaps one of the most level headed posts I've read from you X2. You actually do technically have a point about the cpu speeds. With the current 1.6 Ghz on the ps4 and the higher rating on the X1, it does have a slight advantage there. This only holds true until we get confirmations on what ever the ps4 is doing though.

Arguing about single thread performace is kind of a moot point for the next gen, for either platform. Everything is going to have to be multicore to have decent performance.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post

Also from ERP:

ANY Properly programmed AAA title will be FILL RATE CHALLENGED and not Vertex. More CU's equate to More Fill Rate. Getting to 1080p is about fill rate. Getting to 60fps @ 1080p is about fillrate.
    50% more CU is 50% more fill rate.
    Fill Rate is king, and Anisotropic Filtering before Anti Aliasing at higher resolutions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

vertex is very important, but, setting all things the same... Frame Rates and Resolution are about Fill Rate, and Fill Rate scales linearly with CU's.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    they aren't... just this gen they are sitting back and watching MS do it.. last gen was ALL Sony blabbing on about the "cell"...

Just different years, different PR people... business as usual.
    Indeed that is the case. Microsoft and Sony have been, currently are, and will continue to pull the same antics, same PR, and same mistakes of a different tune.

Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Except the Cell eventually lived up to it's promise thanks to the research and resulting software from Sony Santa monica, Naughty Dog, Cerny's ICE team, Guerilla Games and the European R and D team based in London and SCEJ.
    The cell worked, but it didn't produce anything better than the competing console. We are ending this gen with visuals and physics being identical.

It's funny how penello was pushing "we invented DIRECT X!" Sony just have to respond with Naughty Dog who deciphered the CELL, and then shared their tech in the SDK for third parties to use. Naughty Dog, being Cerny's home turf most likely had a massive input on the system's architecture and SDK environment. I wonder how far they will push the PS4, the GPGPU utilisation may well change the gaming industry, because that tech will be shared with 3rd parties and indeed the xbone and PC games will benefit because tech engineers from GG, ND, SSM, ICE team etc will be deciphering the same architecture.
    I suspect Cerny is being forthcoming and honest about how his company has developed the PS4, just like Penello is being forthcoming and honest about his company has developed the X1.

What they have achieved on the CELL is remarkable. God of war, Gran Turismo, Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and the Last of Us are stunning and far exceed anything I have seen on an Xbox 360.
    I have yet to see anything exceed Battlefield 3 on console. Though Last of Us is right up there with Halo 4.

Most of the people i know who bought the 360 first last gen, only chose Xb360 because it was cheaper at the time for the basic unit. Then after the RROD fiasco and the cost of propriety 360 wifi and hard drives from Microsoft necessary to play most games, they believe they ended up paying a lot more. And because of the ever diminishing exclusive 360 games after 2010, have decided this gen they will go with PlayStation first because they now there will be a large number of varied quality exclusives every year, and MAYBE the xbone after a 3 or 4 years when the price drops and there is a decent library.
    Most people bought the Xbox 360 because of it's game library, which is vastly larger. I don't know anyone personally that bought a 360 because it was cheaper. Everyone I know that bought one was for the games and the fact that it had Xbox Live and all friends/relatives had the console, or the previous Xbox. That is why the software attach rate tops on the 360. Not to mention, their exclusive line up continued to grow in leaps and bounds through now.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

13. Likes Naxi, on the rocks, mistercrow likes this post
    Veteran
    You can't use X1 for the XBone. Comcast had rights to X1 long before the renaming XBone effort started.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...or-a-year.aspx
    Look Out Microsoft, Comcast Has Had Its Own X1 For A Year

Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Lmao grasping for straws can't handle truth. He got his info from MS tech engineers. Its funny how things work on this forum whatever Sony says it is true but when Microsoft explains the tech and specs behind the x1 its all lies.
    What did MS explain techwise that people said it was all lies?

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    What did MS explain techwise that people said it was all lies?
    [PS4's] 18 CU's vs. [Xbox One's] 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.

-Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.

-We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.

-We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.

-We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.

-Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Firstly - this is PLAYSTATION universe forum.

Secondly - Sony haven't let me down yet nor have they fed me a slimey pack of lies.
    I seem to remember ps3's Ken kuratagi saying the ps3 will have
    4D (dimension) and it will have Full HD 1080p @ 120FPS. Just goes to show, that you cant believe anything that comes from either company!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    [PS4's] 18 CU's vs. [Xbox One's] 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.

-Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.

-We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.

-We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.

-We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.

-Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

And that is where it comes to. this is speaking on behalf of the ESRAM and this magical 272gb/s which is so far and away ridiculous. deal with it soldier. it's a slacked number that they pulled out of their asses. 272gb/s ROFL! You by any chance didn't get that on the IGN forums which I know you go to? But I also know that the topic for that came up in there. It's a ridiculous amount so much so that I'm quite surprised it's being posted on here now.

A lot of the things being said as lies are lies because it's not MS stating it, it's people in IGN saying "oh look, now it's at 300gb/s and I know exactly who is posting that rubbish in there. Come on, you should know better than that. damn

As for the processor being faster... where are the CPU specs of the PS4 processor in terms of speed, etc etc? Saying it's faster is again a lie because the actual speed of the CPU for the PS4 wasn't even revealed. It's assumptions and that's all it is. So if this is what MS is saying "which I doubt" then I can see why people are calling MS out on their bull$#@!.

I don't think that was stated by MS and if it was, $#@!in a man, they are in the $#@! and it's because they are lying. This is the type of stuff that is giving MS a really bad name. It's not so much the 180 but the people leaning to Xbox One and lying for MS is making them look bad.

don't be that guy.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 09-12-2013 at 20:37.

19. Likes PS4THEWIN, mistercrow likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Gullible minions...Yes!

Soldier 95B
    And that is where it comes to. this is speaking on behalf of the ESRAM and this magical 272gb/s which is so far and away ridiculous. deal with it soldier. it's a slacked number that they pulled out of their asses. 272gb/s ROFL! You by any chance didn't get that on the IGN forums which I know you go to? But I also know that the topic for that came up in there. It's a ridiculous amount so much so that I'm quite surprised it's being posted on here now.

A lot of the things being said as lies are lies because it's not MS stating it, it's people in IGN saying "oh look, now it's at 300gb/s and I know exactly who is posting that rubbish in there. Come on, you should know better than that. damn

As for the processor being faster... where are the CPU specs of the PS4 processor in terms of speed, etc etc? Saying it's faster is again a lie because the actual speed of the CPU for the PS4 wasn't even revealed. It's assumptions and that's all it is. So if this is what MS is saying "which I doubt" then I can see why people are calling MS out on their bull$#@!.

I don't think that was stated by MS and if it was, $#@!in a man, they are in the $#@! and it's because they are lying. This is the type of stuff that is giving MS a really bad name. It's not so much the 180 but the people leaning to Xbox One and lying for MS is making them look bad.

don't be that guy.
    Yup MS lies about their own hardware. Sony is honest about their hardware. We got it. It's official thanks to you. Now we can all sleep better at night. We all thank you!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Yup MS lies about their own hardware. Sony is honest about their hardware. We got it. It's official thanks to you. Now we can all sleep better at night. We all thank you!
    You quoted my post and yet you didn't read it.

don't be that guy.
    No where did I say that MS was saying it. I did say IF they were then they are in the $#@!. Completely different and it's not the same as pointing the finger.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    ANY Properly programmed AAA title will be FILL RATE CHALLENGED and not Vertex. More CU's equate to More Fill Rate. Getting to 1080p is about fill rate. Getting to 60fps @ 1080p is about fillrate.
    50% more CU is 50% more fill rate.
    Fill Rate is king, and Anisotropic Filtering before Anti Aliasing at higher resolutions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

vertex is very important, but, setting all things the same... Frame Rates and Resolution are about Fill Rate, and Fill Rate scales linearly with CU's.
    hg
    So, with the megahertz increase, the PS4 GPU is now 0.406799531066822977725674091442 more powerful than the GPU on the XBO and we still don't know if the cpu on the PS4 is 1.6ghz now or if it will be higher...
    but, the XBO Jaguars are currently 0.09375 faster than the cores in the PS3.
    NO, you can't subtract one the other to get how much faster the PS4 is, this isn't MICROSOFT MATH.

If SONY's yields are so good and they push the Jagaurs to 2ghz, then, MS can kiss off.
    Add in the bandwidth, which is LOWLATENCY GDDR5 (It was higher latency YEARS AGO, it's a mature tight memory tech now), ...

5500/2133 =2.5785278949835911861228316924519
    PS4 main memory is 1.5785278949835911861228316924519 times faster (158% faster or 2.58 the speed)
    XBO has a SMALL mildly fast 32GB Scratch Pad, which, again, i think is just for executing physics items faster, because that does NOT hold much memory for textures. Color me continually unpressed.

Forum Elder
    So gpu is 41% stronger.

the cpu is fine at 1.6 isnt it? With gpgpu able to do physics or whatever calculations.

It does sound like ps4 is definitely stronger although both are going to run some amazing looking games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It would be silly to accept on face value anything coming from anyone trying to sell you something, whether it's a statement from sony or a guy who knocked on your door trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner.
    That said, microsoft in particular are well known to spread FUD and outright lie through their teeth. These are the people who claim windows is more secure than linux because vulnerabilities in linux are fixed more often. Their logic being linux announces they've fixed 50 of 60 issues, we've announced we've fixed 5 but don't mention the 100's or 1000's we haven't therefore we're more secure because hey, 60 vs 5 do the maths.

Caveat: I won't deny that I dislike microsoft but it has nothing to do with consoles or fanboyism, it's to do with knowing a little of their history.
    WOOF! WOOF!

26. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    No where did I say that MS was saying it. I did say IF they were then they are in the $#@!. Completely different and it's not the same as pointing the finger.
    I guess I misread your comment or I am confused. If so, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lord flasheart View Post
    It would be silly to accept on face value anything coming from anyone trying to sell you something, whether it's a statement from sony or a guy who knocked on your door trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner.
    Agreed.

That said, microsoft in particular are well known to spread FUD and outright lie through their teeth.
    Agreed here as well. But Sony is also well known for this. Ain't no thing though. I still want their consoles.

Forum Sage
    The sooner these consoles are released the sooner we can get over these pointless little arguments over which is faster.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if the games looks exactly the same across both platforms.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I'm gonna laugh so hard if the games looks exactly the same across both platforms.
    Yup, it's going to be watch them! I will be literally eating popcorn and watching the drama ensue.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    The sooner these consoles are released the sooner we can get over these pointless little arguments over which is faster.

Most multiplats will look the same. 3rd parties don't want to piss off half the people they're selling to.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Thread Information