Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Ars Technica Debunks Penello's spec claims.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...-underpowered/

Penello: "18 CUs [compute units] vs. 12 CUs =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CUs, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU."

Ars Technica: "The entire point of GPU workloads is that they scale basically perfectly, so 50% more cores is in fact 50% faster."
    Penello: "Adding to that, each of our CUs is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall."

Ars Technica: "What the hell does that even mean?"
    Penello: "We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted."

Ars Technica: "Just adding up bandwidth numbers is idiotic and meaningless. While the Xbox One's ESRAM is a little faster, we don't know how it's used, and the PS4's GDDR5 is obviously a lot bigger."

Ars Technica
    It's a bit odd for Penello to be wading into this kind of raw numbers battle, given a June interview with OXM where he called this very sort of comparison "meaningless."

"So the whole numbers game—yeah, I've been following it online and it's like, we tried having that argument last time," Penello said in June. "Do I want to talk about HDMI 1.3 or 1.4, it's like 'Argh!' It doesn't matter. Did you see Call of Duty, it looks $#@!ing awesome! It's going to be great, you know. So we're just saying, it's not worth the debate."
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 09-11-2013 at 21:10.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

2. Likes Kauldron likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

This article in no way debunks anything. He attacks five points of Penello's statements and then says maybe to one of them and gives a "I don't know" to three of them.

Veteran
    Ars
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not to say it's invalid or valid because it could very well be 100% right, but how is ArsTechnica debunking this?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Epic fail post...

Move along, nothing to see here.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Epic fail post...

Move along, nothing to see here.
    I saw it. I committed it to memory.

I know.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    c'mon, vulg LOL that post does nothing to debunk anything... hell, to be honest I don't even know what half the $#@! is (don't even care) but if something is DEBUNKED there is clear, concise evidentiary backup to the claim. This doesn't come close

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Hahahaha. Oh i enjoyed it!

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

PSU Technical Advisor
    c'mon, vulg LOL that post does nothing to debunk anything... hell, to be honest I don't even know what half the $#@! is (don't even care) but if something is DEBUNKED there is clear, concise evidentiary backup to the claim. This doesn't come close
    I misread, I thought you had originally posted something else and edited it to say "epic fail post, move along" as if you had put a foot in your mouth.

I was simply saying I had 'seen your original' to creep on you. Obviously I was lying lol

Dedicated Member
    Well, uhm... Ars has been around a LONG time and i tend to agree with their assessments, because they know what they are doing.
    Their quick comments are about all that needs to be said.
    How about this, all of the XBO Lovers, sink ALL of your money into MS stock if you need that bad to defend them, i wish you luck!

PSU Technical Advisor
    That would have been great advice just before Balmer announced he was leaving

Stock bump!

Soldier 95B
    That was a funny post. LOL...

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I misread, I thought you had originally posted something else and edited it to say "epic fail post, move along" as if you had put a foot in your mouth.

I was simply saying I had 'seen your original' to creep on you. Obviously I was lying lol
    lol

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The thread has been debunked. LOL.

Ars.. simply arguing what the other guy said.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Both this thread and this thread http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...tly-overstated are full of epic fail. Neither one proves or disproves anything tbh.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 09-11-2013 at 22:13.

Veteran
    Imo nor Penello or Ars has proven anything, they're both merely just trying to state something but provide no actual proof to back up their sayings so therefore the difference of power/hardware specs between the consoles is still unknown.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I believe the PS4 will obviously be a better gaming console overall and I am not going to argue it. I do believe that this battle with words so far is kind of silly. just reading it made me go "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" while I was hitting my chest.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I believe the PS4 will obviously be a better gaming console overall and I am not going to argue it. I do believe that this battle with words so far is kind of silly. just reading it made me go "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" while I was hitting my chest.
    Its very silly, glad sony are better than that!!! Lol

Sent from my Beast using Tapatalk 4
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by roy8846 View Post
    Its very silly, glad sony are better than that!!! Lol

Sent from my Beast using Tapatalk 4

they aren't... just this gen they are sitting back and watching MS do it.. last gen was ALL Sony blabbing on about the "cell"...

Just different years, different PR people... business as usual.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    This is what I thought of when I read the thread title.

http://youtu.be/mzgT-fg01vY

Veteran
    Penello: "We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted."

Ars Technica: "Just adding up bandwidth numbers is idiotic and meaningless. While the Xbox One's ESRAM is a little faster, we don't know how it's used, and the PS4's GDDR5 is obviously a lot bigger."
    From what I pulled from the article, this part is definitely true. It is ridiculous how Penello pulled those figures out of his ass. Magic Math? He must think people are complete idiots?

32 Mb of ESRAM can only go so far. That is why I said in the other thread per Mynd: "We will see how far this rubberband can stretch".

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    they aren't... just this gen they are sitting back and watching MS do it.. last gen was ALL Sony blabbing on about the "cell"...

lol so how is that not better, ms also babbled last gen and are continuing this gen... guess they didn't learn from Sony last gen

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Except the Cell eventually lived up to it's promise thanks to the research and resulting software from Sony Santa monica, Naughty Dog, Cerny's ICE team, Guerilla Games and the European R and D team based in London and SCEJ.

It's funny how penello was pushing "we invented DIRECT X!" Sony just have to respond with Naughty Dog who deciphered the CELL, and then shared their tech in the SDK for third parties to use. Naughty Dog, being Cerny's home turf most likely had a massive input on the system's architecture and SDK environment. I wonder how far they will push the PS4, the GPGPU utilisation may well change the gaming industry, because that tech will be shared with 3rd parties and indeed the xbone and PC games will benefit because tech engineers from GG, ND, SSM, ICE team etc will be deciphering the same architecture.

What they have achieved on the CELL is remarkable. God of war, Gran Turismo, Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and the Last of Us are stunning and far exceed anything I have seen on an Xbox 360.

Most of the people i know who bought the 360 first last gen, only chose Xb360 because it was cheaper at the time for the basic unit. Then after the RROD fiasco and the cost of propriety 360 wifi and hard drives from Microsoft necessary to play most games, they believe they ended up paying a lot more. And because of the ever diminishing exclusive 360 games after 2010, have decided this gen they will go with PlayStation first because they now there will be a large number of varied quality exclusives every year, and MAYBE the xbone after a 3 or 4 years when the price drops and there is a decent library.

BTW Sony only had 1 slimy PR man. His name is agent Phil Harrison. He left, Shuhei Yoshida took over as head of WWS and slowly PS3 has risen from the ashes and is on par internationally on market share. The master plan in action.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 09-12-2013 at 01:07.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

25. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Lmao grasping for straws can't handle truth. He got his info from MS tech engineers. Its funny how things work on this forum whatever Sony says it is true but when Microsoft explains the tech and specs behind the x1 its all lies.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Lmao grasping for straws can't handle truth. He got his info from MS tech engineers. Its funny how things work on this forum whatever Sony says it is true but when Microsoft explains the tech and specs behind the x1 its all lies.
    Lmao grasphing for straws, can't handle truth. It's funny how things work on this forum. Whenever MS or a pro MS source speakes its truth but when a pro Sony source speaks it's false.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

28. Likes mistercrow, VayMasters86 likes this post

Thread Information